Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ufarn posted:

Josh was by far my favourite, too, and almost felt like the protagonist of the show. His role was very similar to Michael J. Fox in Spin City.

I'm convinced that the Josh character is based on the character from The American President (also Sorkin) that was played by Michael J. Fox, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ufarn posted:

I didn't mean to imply that it was derivative. I love Michael J. Fox's performance on Spin City.

No, I'm just saying that Sorkin probably had Michael J. Fox in mind.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

t3ch3 posted:

Also reveals that Charlie has awful taste in movies. He has enough extra cash for one DVD and picks a Bond movie. Specifically, In Her Majesty's Secret Service.

In fairness, On Her Majesty's Secret Service is remarkably underrated. Besides, it has a BOBSLED CHASE. You can't tell me that's not so ridiculous as to be awesome.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

t3ch3 posted:

Of course it has a bobsled chase. It has almost every single Winter Olympics event in it. That was its marketing gimmick.

I... I never noticed that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
GOG.com has Wing Commander IV which features John Spencer. I love John Spencer and I would watch that man pick blueberries for an hour.

I absolutely hate his character in the game. Because John Spencer is such a great actor that I can honestly loathe him the second I see him even though I love him so much.

Does that make sense?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Man forget about the actual debate stuff, the first part of this video rules, with the whole cutting-the-tie bit. What really elevates it to a whole other level is Bartlett smacking his wife's rear end right before he walks on stage. I'm telling you, that's the stuff that made this show great.

Something I never noticed until just now is just HOW HIGH he raises his hand before he smacks Abby on the rear end. Like he was preceding it with a high five from God.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Joementum posted:

The end credits music is a DVD only thing. It wasn't broadcast that way.

It's a shame it wasn't fixed in the box set.

I'm pretty sure the box set is just the regular DVDs in a different package.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DominoDancing posted:

To those who were around at the time: When season 7 originally aired, how big was the part of the audience that wanted Vinick to win?

If I remember the polls NBC was running, it was actually more or less even. In fact, the original plan was for Vinick to win but then John Spencer died and the producers thought that losing Leo AND the election would have been like kicking Stantos in the teeth while he was down, so they rewrote it

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LesterGroans posted:

Like, she's just kind of a pointless character who they introduced...and then did nothing with.

Like Deanna Troi on Star Trek?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Unoriginal Name posted:

I just finished Noel and I was kinda nodding off and watching with my eyes closed and I just wanna say the soundwork for that episode is amazing.

You can actually hear Josh grunting as he gets shot during his audio flashbacks of Rosalind.

It's Rosslyn.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Marley Wants More posted:

Plus, I love how it pokes fun at the WW minutia. Like when Jed puts on his jacket and everybody ducks.

That's not really a West Wing thing so much as a Martin Sheen thing. He has limited mobility in one shoulder and that's how he puts on a coat because of it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Platystemon posted:

As you say, there’s nowhere to hide once in space. The ISS can be observed with the naked eye, and ground‐based telescopes have been known to track debris as small as 1 cm. The military space shuttle would stick out like a sore thumb.

Hell, there was an astronomer who, on April 13, 1970, witnessed in real time with his own eyes (through a telescope) the explosion in Apollo 13's oxygen tank.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

I was watching a rerun of the one with the ".22 caliber mind in a .357 magnum world" gaffe last night and at one point Bartlet says something about having been at war with Iraq for the past ten years. I kind of did a double take.

I believe that was a reference to the low-grade conflict we'd been having with them (No-Fly-Zone, occasional airstrikes, etc.) since the end of the Gulf War rather than any manner of prescience.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm watching Season 3 episode Stirred and Bartlet is helping Charlie with his taxes and there's a line that strikes me.

Bartlet mentions that Charlie makes $35,000 a year and they frequently remark about how little Charlie makes.

Here we are, eleven years later. I live pretty near to DC, near enough that I'd imagine cost of living costs aren't all that different. If I don't take any unpaid days off, I make $27,000 a year.

Is this a reflection of how little I make or were the West Wing writers basing Charlie's pay on how much it costs to live cheaply in LA or what?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It just seems to me that $35,000 is way too high to be gofer pay in the government, especially in 2002. When I joined the Army in 2006, my base pay was about $18,000. I've been applying to all kinds of government jobs lately. $35,000 is what a GS-5 makes now.

My guess is that the writers didn't do their homework and just came up with a number that seems low to people who have to pay rent in LA.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheBigBad posted:

Charlie made an appropriate wage for an entry level position that year.

Not in the US Government. In 2002, a GS-9 Step 1 made $34,451. To be a GS-9 with no prior relevant experience you'd need to have a Master's Degree.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

JohnSherman posted:

Blake Gottesman, Bush's body man from 2002 to 2006, made 54,500 dollars a year in that position. He was a 22 year old college dropout when he got the job.

YGBSM.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Funny story:

I wrote for my high school newspaper and was assigned to review the West Wing pilot. I blew it off and played computer games, turned in the last five minutes, and wrote a terrible review. "Too fast, characters a blur, will last four episodes. Half a cougar paw, only because I'm not allowed to give it zero." Not bad for what became my favorite show pre-The Wire.

I was in high school when some girl who was writing something for the paper asked me what my favorite TV show was and my name. I told her that it was the West Wing and gave her a fake name.

A week or so later, I discovered that she'd turned those two tidbits into something that was not only something I'd never say, but wasn't even remotely similar to English.

"My favorite TV show is the West Wing because it really gets into the rotten politics.

-- Incog Nito (Junior)"

I saw that she had accepted my fake name at face value and laughed so hard.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mu Zeta posted:

The documentary episode in season 5 is my least favorite WW episode ever. It's John Wells desperately going back to his bag of tricks. It was awesome and unique back when he did it on ER like a decade prior, but by the time he did it on WW it was tired. Also CJ has this gigantic staff that we never see again.

Also the line at the end about how CJ was the only woman to serve two terms as press secretary, only for them to poo poo on that in the very next episode.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've only recently caught up on the podcast, but during their episodes for season 1, they kept referring to Bartlet as having lost the popular vote based on the line that "most people voted for someone else."

I thought it was a reference to Clinton only ever winning a plurality of the popular vote, not losing it outright.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

WoG posted:

Bartlett did win with a plurality -- "Most people voted for someone else" doesn't mean "...one specific other person", it means that the majority can say, 'I voted for someone else.' Yeah, the phrasing is a bit too clever for its own good, but that's Sorkin.

I think it's more of a change in the political landscape than something ambiguously written. When it was written, the last time a president was elected while still losing the popular vote was Benjamin Harrison and it had only happened a few times in American history. "Most Americans voted for someone else" is clearly a reference to a plurality, just like Clinton! Twice! It happened seven times in the 20th century, so it's not like it was completely unknown and was, hell, still fresh on everyone's minds. Haven't they said that the beginning of the show was loosely based on Clinton's early couple years in office? Making Bartlett also a winner by plurality follows that nicely.

Then came the 2000 election and it became a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

thrawn527 posted:

Well I doubt it was Summer School.

It was Intimate Agony, actually.

• Locked thread