Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

reality_groove posted:

Dr Nancy McNally - Head of the NSA or something. Also awesome.
She's not head of the NSA, she's the NSA: National Security Advisor. The "NSA" is National Security Agency, a different thing :eng101:

quote:

Mandy Hampton - Media Consultant. The original dropped character and first of many "showing how they got the job then forget about them". Josh's ex. Works under Toby.
She answers to JOSH and she answers to Toby!

Sorry I just read the entire thread at once. I love this drat show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Poor Sam, not getting the environmentalists to stand after an awesome speech because Toby made the President admonish them :smith:

Edit: and then not being able to see the president

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I am slightly confused about the chain of command in the West Wing. I get that Leo is the boss (whose boss is the president!), but from there I get confused. It would seem that Josh, as the Deputy CoS, would be his number two. But the way the series plays out it is as if Toby is higher up than Josh. I get that Sam is Toby's deputy, and CJ works for Toby (and thereby Sam?), but the Toby/Josh part is the one I don't get.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

t3ch3 posted:

Scenes that are embarrassing to watch because they force the characters into unrealistic situations:

* The principals singing HMS Pinafore tunes to Ainsley
* Josh yelling "BRING IT ON" at the Capitol building

* The principals standing in Leo's office and saying "I serve at the pleasure of the president" one by one
* The principals sitting in front of Josh's apartment and all saying "God Bless America" one by one

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I am confused about what is happening in the Season 3 episode "Hartsfield's Landing". They're worried about voting in HL and that the Flendersons are going to vote for Ritchie. But isn't it the primary? So why would the Flendersons voting for a Republican matter to Democrats? And why would they be voting early for the primary anyway?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

It is incredibly stupid but that poo poo does have a huge effect. Declaring an election when east coast polls close can seriously depress turnout on the west coast and if it's a close election, it doesn't take much. Not even just for a national vote like a presidential, I was working a house campaign in 2010 and when the EST polls started going mass Republican our Democrat turnout in the west started dropping. And in elections like ours where the difference was less than 1%, that's a serious problem.

But for a primary? It would be perfectly fine if there was some Democrat challenging Bartlet, but I mean...what if HL just had more republicans than democrats? Unless New Hampshire has open primaries (Wikipedia says they have "semi-open")...but it still seems silly to worry about. Bartlet isn't running against Ritchie or any other republican at that point!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

"Mr. Keith, I'm sorry, we're going to have to reschedule this for tomorrow"
"Oh...why?"
"You're spookin the hell outta the president."

Edit: I love Lily Tomlin in this

myron cope fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 9, 2011

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there any explanation of why the look of the show changes? Is it just due to all the shakeup with Sorkin leaving and the other EP leaving (Schlamme?) or new directors or what? I first noticed it in S3's "game on" (the debate episode), it turns into some weird shaky-cam close-up fest. Actually I can't remember if it happens for the rest of the series or not but I know it happens in the whole kidnapping and then the shutdown episodes. Maybe I'm the only who notices/cares?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Keep in mind that for "Game On", Sorkin and Schlamme were both still there. They left after season 4.

Yeah, and I'm watching the kidnapping episode now, which is at the end of season 4, and I see it. (I also think Game On was season 4). It just disorients me I guess. I spend more time thinking "why the gently caress is there shaky cam god this is annoying" than focusing on what is actually going on.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Was Rob Lowe's exit planned from the end of S3/beginning of S4? Because it both seems planned and unplanned--like they make Will the deputy communications director and say they'll bump up Sam, then we don't really hear from him again...I guess the actual election episode is after they make Will the deputy? But still he just vanishes without another mention. And I guess I'm wondering if there is an article anywhere about Sorkin's departure? (or if somebody wants to explain it I guess) I only watched the series a few years ago after seeing the box set on amazon and thinking "hey I've heard good things about this, I bet I'd like it"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ah, I thought the cocaine stuff was pre-WW.

edit: And I'd heard the stuff about Lowe being the "star" of the show as initially planned and then it becoming more of an ensemble, but I wasn't sure if his actual departure was planned from the start of season 4 or if one day he just said gently caress it and left or something.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 16, 2011

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just got to where CJ is named CoS, and I think my next disc is scratched beyond readability. So I think I'll be good, because I don't particularly care for those 4 episodes (not that I can remember what they are, but I know I'm always underwhelmed by them). I'm almost considering skipping all the way to the end of S6. Will I miss any good moments doing that?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are any of those the China trip one? (or is it two?)

I think I figured out my problem with this pack of episodes: Kate Harper. I also don't like Will/Bingo Bob. But I guess that's what you have to do when you lose a guy like Rob Lowe or whatever happened to Nancy McNally.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just watched the episode where Margaret goes before the congressional panel to answer questions. It's Darby from SoA! His suit at least covered up his swastika tattoos.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The only one I ended up skipping was Ninety Miles Away in S6. Because I really hate that one. But I ended up watching all of the rest. I'm into S7 (at The Wedding right now).

Edit: and now I'm on Running Mates. RIP John Spencer :(

(picking him for VP never made sense to me)

myron cope fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 22, 2011

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My problem isn't with Leo's credentials, I guess, it's the fact that he had not too long before had a heart attack. And that Santos didn't know him, but I don't care so much about that (it's not like it doesn't actually happen in politics).

In unrelated news, Alan Alda owns so much. So, so much.

Edit: right as the credits are rolling in the episode where Vinick breaks his hand, there's a dude that walks through the Santos campaign office and says "guest list for the Cleveland event?" to Josh. It's loving Abed! Danny Pudi! He goes through really fast and the camera barely shows his face but I'm like...97% sure it's him. I don't know if he shows up after that any.

It's totally meaningless, but I like seeing actors in early roles like that :3:

Fake edit: ok it says so on IMDB. I figured he'd be uncredited. I guess actually getting to say a line makes it different?

myron cope fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 23, 2011

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Cheney have a heart attack before the election?
That doesn't count--that man is mostly metal.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In The Good Guys (tv) Whitford plays a badass cop with a badass mustache. Highly recommended to everyone. It only got one season though :( It's on Netflix instant!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Watching the scene where Charlie wants to buy a DVD player with his tax return that's gonna cost like $400 is nuts. Technology! :hydrogen:

(I don't know what that smilie is supposed to be for but I like it)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They spelled "Bartlet" wrong :colbert:

Josiah Bartlett was an actual governor of NH/signer of the Declaration of Independence.

(and I don't know if the actual show has him as "Seaborne" (it doesn't look like it in the image but the IMDB thing says different) but that's wrong too. Fuckin' amateurs)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The West Wing complete series is Amazon's gold box deal today. $99.49, list $299.98.
http://amazon.com/goldbox

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

We had a couple things at our campaign office that would have you guys rolling eyes and shouting SORKIN!!! if they were in the show. The personalities that go far in politics (at least on the campaigning side) have a higher level of cheese than normal people, in my experience.

I've always imagined politicians disdain the public when they aren't near them. So like instead of saying "we have to help people!!!" behind closed doors they'd be saying like "what the gently caress do these bastards want from me all they do is complain" or something. But I guess that's cynical?

Or maybe they only do it when there's like one or two trusted people around, I guess it's not something you'd say around staff. But I bet it happens!!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I really don't like how Bartlet says "we've got a doctrine" *fist pump*. That scene just annoys me. I think it's when they make Will the deputy?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

"The actor" referring to John Larroquette!? He is awesome :colbert:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Joementum posted:

Think about what you've done here.
A great service?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Every time this thread gets bumped I get sucked back into watching the series.

So needless to say, I'm in the middle of season six. :argh: Thanks a lot, Mr. Bond (who posted on Mar 16) :argh:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Access is the only episode I outright skip. I can't stand it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm watching the episode where Santos gets a minute of prime time ad time and it's pretty drat good. I like Santos.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just saw the ep where the story came out of the military shuttle. Annabeth says that Greg Brock would have had to "have it cold" and that "whoever leaked it had to be somebody big" (and then the last shot is CJ) but my question is why? Couldn't he have had three sources (or whatever journalists use, I'm no reporter). Why does it have to have come from a "big" source? Just convenience for the story?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just got to Leo's death :smith:

That said, I never liked the idea of Leo being the VP candidate. It didn't make sense to me. He went from "I already got my guy" when Josh asks Leo to come with him to being the VP candidate like 4 months later or whatever? Him going to the convention to sort things out made sense.

Anyway RIP John Spencer :smith: That really sucked.

I also wish we saw some (more) of the Santos administration. The election was great but I liked the transition stuff too.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm just finishing the last episode. I kind of want to start the series over again. Send help

(this is at least the 3rd time through btw)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I started the series over again. Thanks for nothing everyone.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

It gets tiring when Santos saves the day yet again by giving an inspiring speech though. Campaign running out of money? Speech. Racial issues? Speech.
There was also the time he went and flew fighter planes, that went over well!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just watched the scene where Bartlet wrecked that talk radio lady. It's such a good scene. Is she supposed to be based on a real-world talk radio person?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I always get choked up when Bartlet gives Charlie the knife :smith:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

JerkyBunion posted:

that's not a :smith: that's a :3:

Yeah I guess that's a better smiley. I was going to use :cry: but whatever. :3: works!

But I still nearly cry every time even though I've seen it about 6 times!

e:

:laffo:
"Kim Woo's a woman, sir"
"The man's an Olympic athlete, Charlie, I wouldn't say that to his face.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 2, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I dunno, the Bartlets were a powerful and influential family, you can fanfic it up as a special order.
Yeah since they founded New Hampshire, signed the declaration of independence and whatnot, it doesn't seem crazy that Paul revere would have made them something special

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is "we've got a caucus" some sort of inside joke or something? They say it a lot. That's how every meeting with congress people end. I find it strange. It's either that or something about a roll call vote. Seriously every meeting.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think from 17 People (Toby figures out the MS) to the end of the second season is the best run of the show. I miss this show :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

He made me want to try a Schweppes Bitter Lemon but I couldn't find it anywhere. Also nobody heard of it.

I found this from a google search, but it was an ad I clicked on. I left the referral link in there because why not. Although $14 and change is likely not what you'll want to spend for a 1.5L bottle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LRIHOI...sl_15rdru5ra6_b

• Locked thread