Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Paragon8 posted:

Agreed. The West Wing is about hope and striving to do our best and to better our world and I can't really think of many other tv shows that really do that anymore.

While I do like The West Wing, I think that the optimism really grated after a while. My main problem is that nobody on the show stopped and asked whether the policy was good or not; people would pass something and say what's next. It never analyses the implications of the policies, which makes it feel very detached. The Wire was a pretty good way to show the implications of federal policies and how they rarely help those who need it most.

In keeping with tradition there was a fairly liberal interpretation of history outside the US, and I hated Lord Marbury or whatever his name was- it's like every British cliche dialed up to 11. Also I didn't like the death penalty episode just because nobody pointed out the obvious; if you execute people you will also execute innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

scarymonkey posted:

That's not really relevant. You can say the same about any punishment. e.g. If you jail people you can also jail innocent people. Honestly I'd rather be wrongly executed than wrongly given life imprisonment. Especially that after about a year or so in the American prison system I would have probably lost my humanity. Life isn't an numbers game, life isn't better just because you reach the bigger number, quality matters as much as quantity.

This isn't the place to argue about the death penalty, but even if you don't agree with the point of view it's pretty egregious to not even mention it; it's the main reason why it was abolished in the UK.

Also one thing I realised; Charlie is the only major black character. There's that interesting scene where Fitzwallace says he doesn't see a problem with a black kid waiting on a white president, but nobody brings up the fact that nobody else in the senior staff is black. Again it seems to address a small issue while totally ignoring a much bigger (and harder to solve) problem.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought Qumar was a real country because of this show and it led to an embarrassing situation years ago. Thanks a lot Sorkin, you rear end in a top hat.

I can't help feeling it was based on Qumran, the Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister fictional gulf state.

By the way everyone should watch Yes Minister. All the episodes are available on youtube.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

gohuskies posted:

Will sucking big time was a big problem for me. I hated him so much.

It was interesting how in the space of a season he went from an idealistic hero campaigning (and winning) with a dead candidate, to settling for Bingo Bob. He just seems like two different characters- the first I liked, the second one I hated. Also his voice was annoying- it sounded perpetually whiny.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

myron cope posted:

I always get choked up when Bartlet gives Charlie the knife :smith:

It may be my ignorance, but did Paul Revere really make carving knives? My impression was that he was too good a silversmith to bother with something like that.

Also I'm just going say once again that I despise John Marbury and I'd like to punch whoever wrote him in as a character. West Wing was never too good at realistic portrayals of other nations, but as a Brit Marbury was the worst by a long way.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

myron cope posted:

Yeah since they founded New Hampshire, signed the declaration of independence and whatnot, it doesn't seem crazy that Paul revere would have made them something special

Possibly, though I would've expected something more fancy than a knife considering Revere's reputation. The bigger problem with that scene is that it doesn't really resonate with me considering my parents have an entire silver set that is twice as old as the knife would've been. Sorry if I sound smug, but in general heirloom handovers don't really impress me.

Personally when I have kids I'm going to buy some jewellery and say that they're ancient heirlooms that have been passed down my family for centuries. Who knows, maybe they'll buy it and I can start one of these traditions.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

qntm posted:

Words

That's an interesting way to look at things, not one I'd considered. I can accept the relevance of Bartlett giving Charlie his knife, but that doesn't mean it had to be made by Paul Revere, does it? I just felt that part was unnecessary, trying to add extra weight when it wasn't needed. I would've found the scene far more moving if it was just a knife that his father had given him.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Eikre posted:

My favorite lovely pat argument is the one where Donna is talking to Jack Reese to about wasteful military spending and 300$ ashtrays, and he justifies them by procuring one he apparently stole and smashing with a wrench. Then he reminds her, sardonically, that sometimes submarines get hit by torpedoes or something. And, it's like, why do you need glass ashtrays at all? Go hit a piece of sheet metal with a hammer a couple times and make your own, you jackass.

During the space race the US spent millions producing a pen that would work in zero-gravity, the Russians used a pencil.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

pentyne posted:

Wow, seasons 6/7 really took a dive in quality. The entire arc with nuclear power being presented as some demonic threat at America's throat seem really out of place. Having the noble laureate Bartlett treating nuclear power like the plague and yelling at Vinnick about it came off as completely incomprehensible.

I think by that point most of the staff didn't care and just made up whatever stories they wanted to create tension for a tight Santos win.

Yeah, that line really annoyed me. I would've liked a reply from Vinick along the lines of:

"You are an economist! What makes you think as a member of the dismal science you could possibly hope to fully understand the safety and upkeep of a nuclear power station!? You notice that the French have plenty of nuclear power plants and they haven't had a meltdown!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

pokeyman posted:

Watching S3E22 "Posse Comitatus" and I have to keep reminding myself that setting a scene to (optionally a cover of) Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" wasn't yet cliche.

You got it the wrong way round; John Cale (the version in the episode) covered it first, which inspired Jeff Buckley's version.

• Locked thread