Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I still own twitter.com/westwingpodcast!

CJ is gonna shove a motherboard so far up your rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Does anyone even know Kenny's last name?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So in the second part of "In The Shadow of Two Gunmen" they catch the signal guy who was on the ground. He's at a BBQ joint.

At 3 AM.

Is this a DC thing? Are there 24 hour BBQ joints?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LordPants posted:

God the Republican Campaign is completely overstuffed with great actors. Along with Alan Alda, I also love how Stephen Root, Patricia Richardson, General Hammond/Scully's Dad from and even Dean Norris are all around.

Yea, all the Democrats got were Janine Garafalo and Jimmy Smits.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

myron cope posted:

Josh keeps saying things like "gosh I don't know how you did two shows at once that seems crazy", but isn't the answer "cocaine"? I haven't finished the episode yet though

Hahahaha, that's all I kept thinking of and I even shouted it out loud at one point.

Aaron's like "I look back at that time, and I don't even know how I did it all"

:v: - "COCAINE!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

The Aaron Sorkin episode was good, but I wish they had talked about Mandy. I get why they didn't, though, and I wasn't really expecting it.

You would think the transition point between Seasons 1 and 2 would be the most opportune time to bring her up.

But yea, she's just living on over in Mandyville along with Christian Slater.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Josh was wrong about the Star Trek pin.

Josh was also wrong about weed legalization. Can't wait till they get to that episode on the podcast.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wish they would focus more on recapping the episode and less behind the scenes stuff. I kinda hated the first part with Tommy, it was all behind the scenes stuff and boring stuff at that. I kept yelling at them "Talk about the episode!"

The second part was much better, the interview with the guy who played Ron Butterfield was excellent because he was able to tie his story into discussion of the actual episode. And Brad/Josh have a great dynamic so it's fun to hear them talk about whatever.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hey Josh and Hrishi! I know you guys don't read this thread, but on the off-chance you do, can you put a moratorium on "So how did you get the part" questions? Every single answer is literally exactly the same. "I knew/knew of Aaron from Sports Night/An American President/A Few Good Men and then I begged my agent to get me an audition, Aaron was there/Aaron wasn't there, and then I thought I didn't get the part, but then when I was at <INSERT LOS ANGELES LOCATION HERE> I got the call!"

I would try Tweeting this at them for any shot at a response. I also agree, those stories are boring as poo poo, we already know the ending.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Now starting season seven on my first re-watch and it's like finishing your greens.

Season seven is fine if you stick to just the campaign episodes. The White House stuff is pretty bad, particularly the awful Toby plot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't know it was a real thing.

"My god, I love my country."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah I'd heard that nobody was allowed film in the National Cathedral afterwards because of the cigarette, but Sorkin's story kinda flies in the face of that

That seems ridiculous, because obviously they would clean up the cigarette after they were done filming.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rob Lowe's super conservative. Most of Hollywood is (at least socially) liberal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SyRauk posted:

I can't believe the undecideds looked at Trump and still wanted to throw the dice on those odds. Jesus tap-dancing Christ on a cracker.

The Apprentice TV show is honestly a huge reason. It was a giant propaganda piece about how Trump is the best businessman/leader/decider ever and it ran for years and years.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Khablam posted:

I never got why they needed to make a fake country up.

Because if you use a real country and imply that bad poo poo is happening there, that country's ambassador gets all mad and yells at the network.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

Let's be clear. The pod cast isn't very good on it's own. They criticize distinctly period choices through a modern lens. When they get nitpicky which is every time they don't have a guest, and most times they do- it's inane and boring. The merits of the podcast exist in their ability to attract people that worked on it to recall anecdotes about the process of it's creation or relate real world perspectives to the show itself.

Disagree completely. Them discussing the episode is why I listen, most of the guests are terrible and haven't even been on the show. Almost every "political" guest they've had has been boring and awful.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hoops posted:

Who's the last real president that ever gets mentioned in the show? Nixon? Watergate was alluded to during the MS storyline. I don't remember any reference to Ford/Carter or anything from their administrations but I wasn't alive then and I'm not American so I might have missed it.

I think they said Eisenhower was their real life cutoff. Ideally they wanted to not mention any post-Eisenhower President by name. However, they definitely bring up the Kennedy Space Center, apparently the writers would joke that it was named for George Kennedy. :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This idea that The West Wing, a loving fictional TV show, is in any way responsible for the election results or the way Democrats act is completely absurd.

Like, it's super "woke" to write a big thinkpiece about how The West Wing gave us Trump, but it didn't. No one cares about a show that's been off the air for this long. The only TV show that got Trump elected is The Apprentice.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I didn't say any of that. But democrats absolutely idolize the show and it's loving bad because deep down the Bartlett White House is a lovely neoliberal collection of wonks.

Okay, but "idolizes The West Wing" is like #500 on the list of "Problems the Democrats have" and yet it gets articles written up about it. Like, it's a symptom, not the cause of their dumb neoliberal beliefs.

Perhaps "woke" was the wrong word choice, maybe "trendy" is the better option.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I disagree. While I don't think it's super pressing, I think there was a Sorkinesque WW moment recently when Republicans nuked the judiciary filibuster recently and democrats went on record as saying "well when we're back in power, we're going to bring it back because the senate is a respectful institution where we carefully deliberate things and slow things down! RAH LOOK HOW GOOD WE ARE!" instead of hunkering down, doing even more work to win blue seats in red states and organize the senate so when a Dems swings back into he White House they can jam a young left judge down their throats to carry RBG's legacy. But no, it's all optics.

Yes, but they would be exactly this dumb even if TWW never existed. That's my point, the show did not cause them to be dumb.

Matt Zerella posted:

Maybe Sorkins writing is a product of lovely neolib policies that have been spreading throughout the party since Carter. Or maybe he was coked out of his mind.

It's this. His writing is a product of the bad system, not a cause of the bad system.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i am the bird posted:

TWW is masterful television, no doubt, but it's hard to watch and not see how tone deaf its politics are.

Absolutely. I totally agree with this statement, I just don't think the show is "responsible" for anything going on in politics now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Eh, I don't want to blow it out of proportion but it's not unfair to say that TWW influences our political society.

Add in this kind of cultural capital (and the podcast, the cast showing up in political ads, Martin Sheen on the trail as President Bartlet, etc.) and it's pretty clear that TWW does influence the way people think about and discuss politics.

Sure, I'm not saying it has 0 impact, but the impact it has is trivial at best. The Dems were bad long before TWW ever existed and politicians were just as awful.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Also I'm rewatching the show for the nth time, and I don't know if it's the podcast or the changing times or what, but it's really hitting me how Sam does not miss an opportunity to be a piece of poo poo sexist. It would be an interesting character flaw except the show takes his side in every instance. I know that's not a revelatory observation or anything. Dude's just relentless.

And yet, the one episode where they decide to call him out, they use the loving dumbest resolution imaginable, where Ainsley basically proclaims her brand of feminism as the only brand.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The latest episode did something so loving frustrating though.

They mention that Donna uses a big word in one line, and Hrishi says he looked it up but doesn't say what the definition is!

:argh: How are you so bad at loving podcasting? They do this all the time, just drop points or go on tangents or interrupt each other when the other one is saying something really interesting.

Like, I want to like the show but I find myself yelling at them "JUST TALK ABOUT THE EPISODE YOU FUCKS!"

Also, I find myself skipping through every guest appearance unless they were someone who worked on the show. I don't want to hear about what people in government are doing, I'd watch the news for that, I want to hear about The West Wing TV show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I mean the world was "badinage" , and not to be too :eng101: but it's a pretty cromulent word, and the meaning is easy to parse from the context.

It really wasn't. She says the party will have badinage. That doesn't give me near enough context.

But thanks for spelling it so I can look it up, you're better at communication than two podcast hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

withak posted:

I found the definition linked in the episode description.

It would have been nice if either of them had mentioned that, or just taken 5 seconds and said it.

I dunno, it seems like such a basic mistake.

• Locked thread