Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

myron cope posted:

Also I think Hrishikesh Hirway is very good at podcasting. I like Song Exploder but I very rarely know the music on it so I don't listen a lot. The episode about The Long Winters - The Commander Thinks Aloud is very very good.

That episode made me cry on the bus lol. It's mostly bands I already love but even when it's not I use it as an opportunity to check out a new tune in depth.

Apparently Hrishi gets "Richard K. Sherway" a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Except for Jimmy Smits, where it's the opposite...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Well sure, the first thing you do is cast the two leads with the best actors available. But when filling out the campaign staff, this appears to be, for the most part, what they did.

Yeah I guess I agree actually, good call

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I liked that they left it hanging there haha. It's not a Behind the Music special anyway, who cares

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

And never referred to by the staff. Cold.

Shouldn't have written that opposition memo then :colbert:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Flashblack.

This killed me. Mostly because I was mentally struggling to come up with my own superhero nickname (I was trying for something to do with the Underground Railroad) and then Hrishi just nails it.

The podcast , particularly these 2 latest, is excellent, and it's been really rewarding rewatching the show with them

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

These two episodes of the podcast are so good. Everything I was hoping the podcast would be. I know they won't all be like this, because these had some heavy hitter guest stars. But drat, these are good.

They've really disabused me of my preconception of Sorkin as being a megalomaniacal dickhead. He comes across as so self-effacing and generous and praising of his colleagues, and everyone speaks so highly of him. Though I have no doubt he could be a dick when he was running on pure uncut cocaine and sleeping once per season.

Also, the phraseology this show is accumulating is wonderful, from flentl to frontl to "taking a giant Schiff". I die.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

i am the bird posted:

Each part of the two-parter is great. I did laugh at Schlamme's aside about how casting a southerner seemed antithetical to Sorkin's language, though. :jerkbag:

He's a Texan though, I don't think he was trying burn Southerners

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hoops posted:

Has anyone watched Designated Survivor? I just checked out the first two episodes and unfortunately it's pretty bad. It's not unwatchable or anything, but the tone and emotion of almost every scene doesn't fit at all with the circumstances. Everyone in the US government gets blown up and the show seems to forget about it half the time even though it's only 2 episodes in.

I think the very concept and the presence of Kiefer Sutherland was all the clues I needed

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Buane posted:

I do agree that Hrishi and Josh can be a bit churlish though.

Josh is a hilarious dickhead, and Hrishi is a gentle obsessive nerd. They're fine just the way they are

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Khablam posted:

If having heard the usual way Josh and Hrishi talk to one another / banter with guests, you still think that their comments are "churlish", you might be completely tone deaf.

Some people demand to be pandered to at all times

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'd heard that nobody was allowed film in the National Cathedral afterwards because of the cigarette, but Sorkin's story kinda flies in the face of that

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

That seems ridiculous, because obviously they would clean up the cigarette after they were done filming.

I think it might have actually been on Wikipedia, so yeah unsubstantiated bullshit

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, Aaron Sorkin is right though. When people say they want more West Wing, what they want is to see these actors playing these characters.

When I say it, I mean that I want a Sorkin-written political drama show. I love plenty of the cast but I'm quite happy to discover some new players for the Sorkin repertory

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBad posted:

Let's be clear. The pod cast isn't very good on it's own. They criticize distinctly period choices through a modern lens. When they get nitpicky which is every time they don't have a guest, and most times they do- it's inane and boring. The merits of the podcast exist in their ability to attract people that worked on it to recall anecdotes about the process of it's creation or relate real world perspectives to the show itself.

Disagree

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ninjahedgehog posted:

The best guest they ever had was the costume and set designers, they need more people from behind the scenes like that. I almost always skip past the actor interviews because Hrishi starts with "how did you get the part?" every single time and it's never, ever interesting. I think I've brought this up in the thread before.

Also, guys, stop trying to drop sick :iceburn: s on random people on Twitter, nobody cares.

I'm the opposite - I love hearing about the audition process, even if it's often formulaic. IMO the best guests have been our boy Sorkin himself, and Agent Butterfield. I haven't even listened to Janel Moloney's one all the way through because she is annoying as gently caress

And the twitter thing, I dunno, iceburns are kind of the whole point of Twitter, at least it's a bit more real than fawning fanservice

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Matt Zerella posted:

Nah. It's really bad and democrats need to stop worshiping it as anything other than entertainment. Also the podcast is really bad since trump got elected. Malina is extra lovely since the election.

All your opinions are real bad.

WampaLord posted:

Like, it's super "woke" to write a big thinkpiece about how The West Wing gave us Trump

no it isn't

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Matt Zerella posted:

Thanks. Does he still do the "Aye yay yay Trump" bit every 3 seconds and act really condescending/smug?

I think that's happened twice in the run of the podcast to date? Possibly 3 times but once was Hrishi. And yknow, the stark contrast between Trump and a fictional Good President is occasionally worth remarking on, even if it is hardly a revelatory insight.

You sound pretty bitter about things that have nothing to do with the podcast or the show, but remember the option to not engage with either exists.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thexerox123 posted:

The latest episode of The West Wing Weekly has Justin Trudeau in it, pretty good get.

Yeah it's a pretty cool that he was an obvious WW nerd and was throwing out callbacks to random eps

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I mean the word was "badinage" , and not to be too :eng101: but it's a pretty cromulent word, and the meaning is easy to parse from the context.

The podcast is pretty self-indulgent but I roll with it, and the latest episode was top-notch

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 29, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBad posted:

They just whine and nitpick and it isnt entertaining. I just listen to the guest segments, and even those arent very interesting anymore.

Trudeau was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Khablam posted:

Mark Harmon 4 Allison Janney 4eva

"and then she backed her butt up into my crotch". so much for that non-explicit podcast rating

• Locked thread