Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bobkatt013 posted:

Well its hard to go any higher then one of the best episodes ever. Also the 3rd and 4th season where as good and even after that it still remained awesome. The only real low point was how Toby left

Two Cathedrals is great, but the bit of the show that got to me most was the ending of Commencement, where Zoey gets kidnapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Groke posted:

Bartlet was a better President than any real-world President the US has had since... since... well, since before any of us reading this thread was born, I suspect.

Being fictional helps a lot in that regard, especially given he was written as a reponse to the flaws of Clinton and Bush.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Has Sorkin ever said what his plans were for season 5 onwards?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

reality_groove posted:

Absolutely, consistency and continuity were not his strong points. I also found his payoffs rarely matched the build-ups.
I really wonder what he had intended to happen after season 4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mandoira posted:

I can't remember but wasn't there something where if John Spencer hadn't died then Vinick would have won the election?

I've heard that too (and also that it was planned that way regardless). Not sure.

And yeah, The Supremes is definitely one of the highlights of the show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah I can see that. Did Bush actually play up to that reputation and try and win over people with the folksy charm thing when campaigning though? I don't actually know the answer as I really wasn't following US politics particularly closely at the time. I can see how the ".22-caliber mind in a .357 Magnum world" quote and stuff like that applies. I just thought Richie tended towards playing into the "well shucks" aspect of it all was a bit Palinesque. Bush always came across as just plain inept to me.
Bush played into it a bit; he certainly didn't present himself as an Ivy-League education scion of a political dynasty.

Richie wasn't really much of a character in the show, and while he was most closely based on Bush, he was really there to represent (Republican) anti-intellectualism in general. The theme of "being smart is good" was pretty prevalent through the entirety of the show's run really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It might be apocryphal, but I remember hearing that they debated making Mandy one of the shooting victims but decided against it on the grounds that the audience wouldn't see it as a tragic event.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

enuma elish posted:

I think The Thick of It is really the cynical equivalent of West Wing, more so than Yes Minister is. In Yes, Minister people are still pretty witty and intelligent and competent. Also, Thick of It is awesome and you all should watch it.
The Civil Service in Yes, Minister is corrupt, self-serving and profoundly anti-democratic. Sure, they're intelligent, but that's not necessarily a good thing, especially given the politicians are a combination of powerless and clueless.

Thick of It and In the Loop are awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

king of no pants posted:

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

That conversation is the redeeming factor for that episode.

Except Bond orders vodka martinis (which is another problem altogether).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In season 5 they refer to the fact that Barlett's campaign was a landslide, but the congressional elections really weren't that favourable to the Dems.

Joementum posted:

I don't think Sorkin ever wanted to write a serial, which is what you'd need to cover an election. I think he wanted to write a dramedy about the President and it got away from him. I'd still rather watch what I imagine to be his version of seasons 6/7, but we'll never know.
I think it's also that there's much more drama in a good fight than a victory lap.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

spamman posted:

I've been annoyed at how the characters seem to be serving the issues rather than the other way around, the actual issues themselves seem to be a bit too broad for this show, they seem to be after more stunts in this season than others (Although I could be wrong there but come one, shutting down the Fed?), and the show doesn't seem to know how to balance the light and heavy scenes anymore.
Shutting down the government did happen in the 90s, and wasn't too far off happening recently. Wasn't the first time the show did an alternate version of the Clinton presidency.

quote:

Oh, and will that god drat intern (Pierce) gently caress off already?
I still can't work out why that character exists.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

I have finished season 5 (again) and lived to tell the tale. I walk away from the experience more assured than ever that Ryan Pierce's character needs to die in a fire.

I could never tell whether his character was an experiment that failed, or an inside joke that nobody else really got.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Why do you want to be President?"

"I don't."

"Well we'll put that in a hopper and show you a draft."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you skip any, skip Access.

But don't skip any.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

myron cope posted:

Come on, really? Bartlet (co-)won the Nobel Prize in Economics, Obama won the Peace Prize. They aren't even comparable.

Both of the prizes have been repeatedly been awarded to less-than-deserving people. The Economics one isn't even a real Nobel Prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, it was well before his 4th State of the Union address (which was in the middle of Season 3), and the Republican race hadn't really started at all.

• Locked thread