Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

This is a reminder that the West Wing has the best Christmas episodes of any show.

"Toby, if we start pulling strings like this don't you think every homeless veteran will come out of the woodwork?"
"I can only hope so, sir."

Easily one of my top five favorite episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

Flirting through a male interpreter is funny.

"Joshua Lyman, you have the cutest little butt in professional politics".

Kenny, I swear to God that had better be Joey talking.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

"Donna, can you get us some dried leaves?"

"Sure thing, I'll just run out to the forest and be right back."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Let us grasp the First Lady's breasts in his honor.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Asiina posted:

I'm so excited for this and hope it will be like the commentary tracks we never got because seriously I'm still angry over how terrible those were.

Care to elaborate? I've always thought about listening to those, but then I decide I'd rather just watch the episodes proper.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I remember the LOTR expanded box set had a really weird cast commentary. Only the hobbits and Orlando Bloom (I think) were actually in the room together watching the film, but everyone else had anecdotes pulled from interviews they did. The sound quality is such that you don't realize that's actually happening until someone points it out, and the stories honestly aren't bad, except for when Ian McKellan or John Rhys-Davies or Christopher Lee begin to pipe up and it's some intensely boring drawl about the "brotherhood of acting" or some poo poo and you're begging the audio guy to cut back to the hobbits, who are actually having fun and telling good stories and funny jokes.

EDIT: The worst commentary I've ever seen was The Rock, which was just Michael Bay, and he comes across as the smuggest douche on the planet. You know those people who only ever share stories where they're the hero? Yeah, Michael Bay is one of those assholes.

EDIT 2: Holy crap, I forgot how hilarious the LOTR commentary can be:

[As Aragorn sings during his coronation]
BILLY: What's he singing about here?
DOM: This was his Christmas #1 when he was about 19. It's a slowed down version of Dirty by Christina Aguilera done in old language speech.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 23, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Baronash posted:

Definitely can't think of anything I want more than the biggest failed experiment on the show talking about three seasons he wasn't even part of.

Hey, at least it's not that annoying as gently caress intern that Josh had in season 5.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

So I finished the first episode and it's.... fine, but isn't all that insightful or anything. I'll probably keep listening while I was dishes or grind in The Division or something. Hopefully it'll get better as they get into more complex episodes, and maybe Josh Malina can stop slobbering over Aaron Sorkin's dick once Will Bailey enters the picture and he can share firsthand stories about the production.

Also, that weird-rear end trap beat they put over their opening and closing riff (it's the "Previously on" theme from the series) is the worst thing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's weird how Bartlet and Josh and Sam and all of them could make that super-dense Sorkin dialogue sound, if not completely natural, at least believable, but Will always seemed really forced. Honestly, he might have been a much better character if the writers had just sort of ran with that. Not make him less intelligent, necessarily, but make him more naturally plain-spoken and then have other characters poke fun at him for trying too hard to sound really witty and lyrical just because everyone else at the White House did.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Basticle posted:

Im on my i think 4th rewatch, this time on netflix. Just got to Noel and i completely forgot about Bernard Thatch, the delightfully dry art snob from the white house visitors office. Man hes such a great minor character.

"So here it hangs, like a dirty gym sock on a towel rod" is one of the shows great underrated lines.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't this mostly fixed with LCDs?

No, because you still have brightness to deal with. Plus you'll have to stop and reset the TV between every take, so it's still much easier to just superimpose whatever's supposed to be on the TV in post.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Holy cow that last episode of the podcast was fantastic. I love how they didn't edit out that 30 seconds or so of silence while Richard Schiff is clearly trying to hold back tears and failing.

I'm totally on board now. I hope they get more people from behind the scenes, the interview with the costume designer a few episodes ago was great.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 30, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

myron cope posted:

Hrishikesh Hirway

Wow, is that how is name is spelled? The way Josh says it at the beginning of the podcast I assumed it was Hrishi Keshirway.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The last episode of the podcast is pretty interesting, Josh and Rishi talk with a bunch of people from 538 about how TWW uses polling. Definitely worth checking out even if you're not listening to the podcast, it's a standalone.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

LordPants posted:

What's the official position on Season 5? Shutdown and the Supremes, then google the last episode and move on to the sunny pastures of season six?

My viewing protocol:

Watch seasons 1-4 in their entirety. Skip Isaac and Ishmael if you want.
Watch season 5 until the end of the shutdown arc, then watch as much of season 5 as you can until you get bored and/or irritated.
Skip ahead and watch The Supremes.
Skip ahead to when the Gaza arc starts and finish season 5.
Finish the Gaza arc in season 6 and continue watching as much of season 6 as you can handle.
Skip ahead to the episodes where Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda are introduced.
For the rest of season 6, only watch the campaign-centered episodes. This, incidentally, is my absolute favorite string of episodes in the entire series.
Watch season 7 in its entirety.

EDIT: Actually, looking at season 6 on IMDB there's some good stuff in there like the China two-parter. Maybe watch all of Season 6 until Opposition Research (where the primaries story starts) and then from there skip the remaining White House-exclusive episodes until season 7.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 1, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

LordPants posted:

Yeah that's how we ended up doing it. I really like the early season 6 episodes with Josh and the SUV and stuff like that early on, but man when the primary episodes start that's loving money right there and gently caress everything else.

You know, I'm going to amend that slightly and add A Good Day, which isn't a primary episode but does have Jimmy Smits. In case anyone needed a refresher it's the one where Toby meets with the kids who want to lower the voting age and Santos hosts a sleepover in the Capitol for the House Democrats so they can vote on a stem-cell research bill. Good stuff.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cartoon posted:

In my first rewatch I think the slide to merely superior television starts with the introduction of Will Bailey at the start of season four. It is close on the heels of the magnificent "20 hours in America" and starts a plot line about superior speech writers. Even for fantasy political drama the up selling of how hard it is to write good political speeches is over reached by several furlongs. Even the examples used about the inauguration are strained. The 'great burden' of previous second inaugurations is bewilderingly inaccurate. "Fear itself" is from a first inauguration. Lincoln's second inauguration is mediocre writing even given the times and the content.

Now if only I could stop watching.

I dunno, Lincoln's second inaugural gave us this pretty sick :iceburn::

Abraham Lincoln posted:

Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged.

Also, only tangentially related, 20 Hours in America has probably the best rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic I've ever heard. It's sung by a Navy men's choir while Bartlet and Leo are talking about some economic thing I never pay attention to because the music in the background is so kickass.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hey Josh and Hrishi! I know you guys don't read this thread, but on the off-chance you do, can you put a moratorium on "So how did you get the part" questions? Every single answer is literally exactly the same. "I knew/knew of Aaron from Sports Night/An American President/A Few Good Men and then I begged my agent to get me an audition, Aaron was there/Aaron wasn't there, and then I thought I didn't get the part, but then when I was at <INSERT LOS ANGELES LOCATION HERE> I got the call!"

Good episodes otherwise though. Taking a Schiff had me giggling on the bus this morning.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

algebra testes posted:

This I can't unsee now Schlamme pointed it out.

I actually don't mind her, I think she adds something to the scene by not being "another person walks past the camera in a hurry" but what do I, guy on the internet, know about anything?

As far as "dumb nitpicks" are concerned, personally the most jarring thing in the episode is still the Limo doing the hand break turn on where it's clearly done on an Airport or something. But I mean, it's probably just how it had to be done so it's a nothing criticism, that's just how you make TV.

edit:

I forgot about this guy :allears:

I haven't finished the episode yet, do they mention the Secret Service guy in the ER who's literally just standing in one place, waiting for his cue to mention that the President's on the way? Last three seconds of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWy4P5uXqgE

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

"We've got checks and balances, separation of powers... and then there's Margaret, vetoing bills and sending them back to the Hill."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Yeah they can be strangely churlish at times, in my opinion.

Yeah the disconnect between Hrishi's chill attitude on the podcast and his mild dickery on Twitter is a little odd. Apparently people were asking why they censor curse words on the pod and his response was "Well, my mother listens to the show and prefers it censored. And her opinion counts more than yours." (emphasis mine) Like, dude, just leave that second part out, it went from being kinda cute to you just being an rear end in a top hat to a stranger on the Internet.

As for my unsolicited two cents on the censoring: Ok, fine, but maybe try to make an better effort to just not curse instead? And at the very least don't censor the stuff that would have been uncensored on network TV in 1999?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Aaron Sorkin and Rob Lowe: if you guys have it in you, a Netflix sequel miniseries about CA Governor Seaborn's presidential campaign with be really nice to watch right now. :smith:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I do commercials for.... products.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Delzuma posted:

It can't be too hard to give me a show centered around recently elected Congressman Charlie Young after he's had a few years as a successful lawyer.

Charlie's a DC native, right? They don't get Congresspeople. :smith: I guess he could run for a Maryland or NoVa seat but Charlie doesn't strike me as that kid of opportunist. Or he could go to law school outside the District and run from there.

I liked Hrishi's idea for a spin-off set in the 70s, with a recently-discharged Captain McGarry returning home from Vietnam and getting his feet wet in local Chicago politics.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Disagree completely. Them discussing the episode is why I listen, most of the guests are terrible and haven't even been on the show. Almost every "political" guest they've had has been boring and awful.

The best guest they ever had was the costume and set designers, they need more people from behind the scenes like that. I almost always skip past the actor interviews because Hrishi starts with "how did you get the part?" every single time and it's never, ever interesting. I think I've brought this up in the thread before.

Also, guys, stop trying to drop sick :iceburn: s on random people on Twitter, nobody cares.

WoG posted:

Bartlett did win with a plurality -- "Most people voted for someone else" doesn't mean "...one specific other person", it means that the majority can say, 'I voted for someone else.' Yeah, the phrasing is a bit too clever for its own good, but that's Sorkin.

Yeah, this is how I always interpreted that line and I was honestly surprised anyone else thought any differently. Before 2000, the split popular vote/electoral vote only happened, like, twice before, and one of those times was for Rutherford Hayes which was such an insane situation it barely counts. You'd think if that was the case they would have explicitly said that. :shrug:

• Locked thread