Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uppity Catamite posted:

Oh god, I'm going through season 7 again, just about halfway through.

Was season 5-7 really this terrible when it was first broadcast? I can't remember cringing so much with all the DRAMATIC music and the camera extreme close ups.

I guess since I was still in high school back then, I didn't really notice.

I miss the brotherhood of Josh and Toby (I work in the white house) from 20 hours in America so much.

Season five was this terrible. Seasons 6-7 were their own thing by the time we got to Vinnick/Santos, which I really really enjoyed. I liked the arc of Josh coming apart at the scenes and Rob Lowe coming back. And plus, going back over it seeing how small the Santos campaign was to how big it was is really great. And I enjoyed the season finale of season six.

Plus the fact that Vinnick's team is made up of ex-sitcom stars is great.

I'm not going to lie, I really really liked the last two seasons. Yes, it's a different show with a different tone, but I'll take seasons 6-7 of the West Wing any day of the week.

I can't recall if any of the actual "West Wing" episodes were any good, I don't think they were. Oh, I also liked the dimension of Toby helping Josh out on the campaign and their eventual (semi)reconciliation. I think their relationship is one of the better ones in the series.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

Babish was probably my favourite character on the show, but that might just be because Oliver Platt is completely awesome.

One of my favourite scenes in television, which is Sorkin firing on all cylinders, is the introduction of Babbish where he has the tape recorder that he can't stop from taping. He makes a watergate joke, then Bartlett walks in and says "I want to know if I have conspired to perpetrate a fraud on the American people" or something and Babbish gets a gavel and smashes the tape recorder.

Completely awesome.

edit: look, just watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8Vl0ORBaE

edit: also, the whole cast getting raises thing is one of the reasons why people were not in many episodes in the last season - they needed to come up with ways to keep the number of stars per episode down to save money.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 12, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nagel posted:

I can't believe that nobody has posted this yet, it's from the the sixth season, episode 4, Liftoff.

On C.J's first day as CoS, the rest of the guys want to quit. I love Sheen's performance in this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4bGRBkUKIk&t=542s

I thought this was one of my favourite parts of season seven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulk3hDwxnmg

Also the bit with where it has to be explained why Vinick shouldn't campaign in the latino areas is pretty funny.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The SARS Volta posted:

The only thing about Pierce I particularly enjoyed was in "The Supremes," after his introduces himself to the Judiciary Committee director, she's all like "Is he the one who flipped the car in Nice?"

I've watched the West Wing a couple of times. Once on TV, Once on DVD and once again (where I skipped season five.)

Who the gently caress is Pierce? Have I just deleted season five and "pierce" out of my memory? Are you guys making up some character? Is it a nickname perhaps?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maud Moonshine posted:

I'm pretty sure his full name was Ryan Pierce, though I don't recall anyone really using his first name that often. He was played by Jesse Bradford if that helps.

No I just have literally expunged season five from my brain. When I went back through it with my girlfriend I told her to skip it and I ran down the show as: "Everyone sucks, Leo has a heart-attack, Fitz dies, Donna is in a coma."

Killing Fitz was one of the most :psyduck: moments. Completely un-necessary and carries less weight than Bartlet's doctor dying in like the third episode. And we only knew the doctor for like five minutes. That's how far the show fell.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed the fight scene, and the episode as a whole. And then the way they sort of half-assed made up later on was really sweet.

I also like the reason they're angry is that not only did Josh quit, but he didn't ask Toby. :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

abraham linksys posted:

Season 7 is fantastic so far. Just watched this scene and oh my god Bartlet's reaction :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffByMN8di9c

A really great actor can just say so much with a tilt of the head.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

meatbag posted:

What happens in Inauguration pt 2 and the Laurel and Hardy movie? The president sees toy soldiers marching juxtaposed next to real ones and he suddenly wants to intervene in a humanitarian disaster?

I can't remember exactly, but doesn't have something to do with Will saying an African's life is worth less than an American's?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did the meltdown occur before or after Leo died?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShakeZula posted:

Well before, Leo died on election night.

I thought he was dead in real life something like three or four episodes before they killed him on screen? But even with that, from memory he might already have died later.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently Romney isn't going to give his concession speech before 1am est because he never wrote one. I'm guessing he also didn't go outside, turn around three times and spit.

He fell victim to the wrath of the guy atop the thing!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheShadowAvatar posted:

The wrath of whatever from high atop on the thing?!

Yes! That's the one. Great stuff. How much did Bartlett win re-election by, by the way?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chamberk posted:

On my second complete watch of this show Toby has become my clear favorite character. I'm watching 20 Hours in America now and the combination of him, Josh, and Donna getting themselves lost is priceless. Shame what they did to him near the end.

I'm Toby Ziegler... I work at the White House.

That show is at its best when the protagonists are flawed, and that's an example. Donna pointing out everything they missed and how they were focused on the politics was great.

I just started watching Season 5 too, it's like a balloon slowly deflating on my tv screen. And the way the characterizations just jump off the map is actually kind of amazing. Anyway, the Supremes happens and that makes up for it but it is still a shock the drop in quality. (I really like seasons 6 and 7 though).

Straight away the Republicans are like "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ANYONE YOU SHOT SHARIF?" and the correct answer would have been "It was national security, we weren't told until like five minutes ago" instead Josh goes "Reasons!" and the Republicans go "LOL MS!" and then Josh walks out and broods and go "We made... a mistake. What if they like him better?" :stare:

Despite the fact the President beat the guy they were running against by a massive landslide. :psyduck:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBad posted:

Wait wait wait, unless its a New Sorkin show and said protagonist is a woman.

Exactly. Josh was "win at all costs", Sam was super idealistic, Toby was Toby. But all the characters in newsrooms are walking Sorkin Erections (Sorkections?) who are perfect at the job, unless, they're a woman in which case they're useless. And further, West Wing was always about conflict "Is passing this foreign affairs bill worth incentivising women to marry the fathers of their children" "Should I kill a known terrorist without trial, or should he be allowed to keep killing people" etc etc. In the Newsroom, there is no conflict. It's just "Republicans suck".

It's also super confusing considering Moneyball was "Change v Traditionalism" and "Sticking to your beliefs" and the Social Network was about "Friendship verses Business" so he obviously still understands how to write conflict, it's just absent in the Newsroom.

Sorry for the derail, but I think it highlights why the West Wing worked so well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

All the characters are flawed in their own way. The only character that's portrayed as "perfect" (but clearly isn't) is Will, but since he's the host of the show, and is generally acknowledged to be an egotistical rear end, that's kind of understandable from a narrative point of view.

Consider the Romney campaign bus: "Can I have five minutes with the candidate?" Etc, which ends up with Jim being kicked off the bus. Wow Jim messed up there! But he didn't, because we know that Sorkin thinks that Jim was right. When Stackhouse is thinking about running for president Josh says "Stackhouse is taking the President's votes!" to which Amy replies "They're not the presidents votes". Which is great because it highlights that Josh believes everyone to the left of them should just vote for them because they're better than the other guy. Josh is wrong in this case, but the show doesn't make you think that he's right. In fact, that's something the comes up often, and with Amy which feeds into Josh's "win at all cost mentality".

When has someone been wrong about something like that in the Newsroom? Occupy? No, they've torn that down every episode. Genoa? Well, probably, but we understand that the guy responsible is not part of the proper newsroom team. It could just be that I don't remember any of the plot threads from the newsroom. Oh wait, the Repulican debate. They didn't get what they wanted with that (With a cameo from the Dr from the West Wing who treats Josh!). But god the show makes it clear that they were morally right in the end. There's another. Sloan with the Japanese plant? Well, we all know that Sloan was doing the right thing by telling the truth, even if she was off the record.

Oh, "Women are useless" is just a joke about how the Newsroom thread over-read everything as being sexist (when it isn't there) and then call each other autistic when they don't see or hear it a certain way. :)

Also I was wondering, In S2E1 "not stupid enough to nominate a academic from New England" or something, what are they referring to? I mean, other than Bartlet?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best bit is when they think he deliberately took the flag in season 6 or 7 and CJ's like "That's old school :smug:" And then later Bartlett's like "I didn't see the flag. :smith:"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of I just saw Josh Lyman as a crazy volcano killing man something from a very average episode of the X-Files.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The whole Josh sucking thing, I thought was the byproduct of him being awesome meant bad TV. So we only see the days where Josh comes up against an opponent he has trouble with. For example, when he hamstrings Amy we see him ruthlessly go through his opposition because it's not central to the plot that he doesn't. I guess that's how I worked it out in my head.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From memory at some point off screen Leo and the President start telling people, so I assumed that they'd just told them everything. I may be miss remembering, however.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you didn't shake his hand too tight.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the hellish lowpoint was the reality TV episode in season 5.

Which makes the high highs of "The Surpemes" even more perplexing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"It's someone called bob for you?" :3:

Goddamn if I don't really like the campaign episodes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well I can watch season 5 fresh as I'm 90% sure I've only seen one or two episodes. :smugdog:

edit: Yes I know it doesn't count because I've watched the other seasons so much. ;)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 22, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Old Boot posted:

fake edit: it's weird as hell to see Bradley Whitford in X-Files.

Isn't firewalker like, the worst 40minutes of television in history? I think I've blocked it out of my brain.

He's really good in ER, and has a lot to work with. I think he's in an episode in the first season maybe? Speaking of Cameos there's a great film called Presumed Innocent where Harrison Ford is a DA who is on trial for murdering his mistress. Leo is his cop buddy, and Josh is his lawyer's assistant. Great film.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Daniels from the Wire :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm midway through Season 3 now, and I can really tell that Sam is getting less and less relevant in the narrative. He was basically totally missing for the MS storyline, and he seems to just pop up every so often to complain about things.

It's a bummer, I really like Sam, but I know he leaves the show pretty soon and it makes sense. The episode with his cheating father and the FBI was incredible though.

Best part is up until he leaves, his name is first in the credits from memory because hes' the ~star~ (not actually the star)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first few episodes are great, because Josh gets all the Sam storylines for the first 3 or so episodes and absolutely crushes them, so they start writing him into the A plot more often than not and Sam gets the crappy C plot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
richie aprile being a rabbi always freaks me out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess not every show can have as good and in depth commentary tracks as the Simpsons.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Simpsons is my favourite, but I have a special love for the Sum of All Fears commentary which is Tom Clancy and the Director of film, and it's just Tom making GBS threads on the film and being more and more of a dick to the Director as it goes on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The "Charlie Pays his Taxes" thing was worth it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked it when he became the bad guy in the election stuff. That was great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mandy is mostly gone before the season's over anyway, there comes a point where she's barely in any of the stories. Tell her to suck it up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
my favourite Schiff-ism in a previous interview I heard with him was him talking about how Toby clearly wouldn't have done what happened in season 7, so he played it like he was covering for someone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"What do you mean even Sports Night, how dare you sir"

Lmao Josh Molina is great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know the meet and potatoes are the Sorkin seasons but there are things I liked about 6 and 7.

And I guess the Supremes from season 5.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"...And so he called to ask why you're sending his money to Mexico."

*beat*

"Does he want me to call back?"

Normally lymansplaining shits me but the mexico bailout and donna's textile working 48 year old kills me.

E:Toby - "I'm Bruce Wayne, you're Dick something" my new favorite line

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 18, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't watch the season 3 finale. I just don't have it in me.

Also, Donnatelling :allears:

Finally, the new episode is good because it manages to criticise Sorkin's self righteous always right protagonists but also acknowledge the great stuff in the ep.

e:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 23, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's the official position on Season 5? Shutdown and the Supremes, then google the last episode and move on to the sunny pastures of season six?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn I forgot, and this is like my fourth run through, how good the campaign episodes are in season 6.

• Locked thread