Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Glad to see a thread for this. Probably my favorite TV show of all time.

Old James posted:

It was a great series, but I can't decide whether the show jumped the shark in the episode where Mrs. Landingham buys her new car and gets killed off (some state house had a moment of silence for the fictional character's death) or the 9/11 special Isaac & Ishmael.

The first one leads directly to not only one of the best episodes of the series, but possibly one of the best episodes of dramatic TV ever. And the second is not actually part of the continuity of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's true the show declined a bit after Sorkin left, but it wasn't like the show ever got bad at all. The first four seasons were generally amazing. While the last three seasons were just really good. There were some rough episodes every season, but I don't think anything was really bad. Even my least favorite episode (Access) isn't bad. I personally don't think the show ever jumped the shark.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I need this series to come out on Bluray. Preferably with tons of extras. The HD versions on Amazon look pretty drat good. I think they're on iTunes as well but at a more expensive price. But as of right now online is the only place you can get the first season in widescreen. It was never shown on TV in widescreen and never released on DVD in widescreen. And it's not a hack job either. It's real widescreen. I'm guessing it was like the second season and never aired that way or they went back and did a reframe from the original source.

DVD

Amazon HD

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Giodo! posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I always thought a romance between Ainsley and Sam would have been interesting.

It's unfortunate she got taken away by another show. I really enjoyed her character. And her introduction episode is one of my favorite episodes of the series, though mostly for the Kundu story which was a heartbreaker.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheBigBad posted:

I think MASH influenced everything that followed it.

No doubt. But I think Gravy Jones has a point. I never really thought about it before, but after he mentioned it I'd definitely agree.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

Two Cathedrals is the best hour of television ever. And there's a handful of other episodes - Bartlet For America, Celestial Navigation, 17 People, In The Shadow Of Two Gunmen - that are in the discussion. When The West Wing was on, there was never a better show, not The Wire or The Sopranos or AD or anything else. It wasn't on all the time, of course.

You'll probably get a load of people arguing against this view but I won't be one of them. I agree with every last bit of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

Ainsley wasn't an intern when they appeared on Capital Beat.

May be referring to the GAO intern.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

I thought that they didn't play up the ambiguity of whether Toby actually leaked it or whether he jumped on the grenade for CJ and Leo enough. There's hints here and there but it's never really explored, probably because of Richard Schiff's unavailability in the last season.

Hmm, I never really got that at all. I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning it was Toby due to his brother's ties. I don't think they really did much to try and persuade the viewer otherwise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mdemone posted:

(Rewatching the pilot now and goddamn, Justine Bateman is smoking hot.)

Justine Bateman?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ytadel posted:

I'm not sure that I have a specific favorite episode, but the 5-episode stretch from 17 People (where they tell Toby about Bartlet's MS) to Two Cathedrals has gotta be one of my favorite TV story arcs of all time.

Amen. I'm not sure there's a better five episode run in the history of television. Surely not one I've seen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

t3ch3 posted:

Just noticed Nick Offerman in 1.05 The Crackpots and These Women. He and Eugene Mirman try to convince CJ of the need to build a $900 million wolves-only highway.

I love Big Block of Cheese Day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chajusong posted:

Uh, Richie is pretty clearly based on another pretty high profile southern governor from a big state with a reputation for being not-so-bright.

Yeah, Richie is clearly Bush. There's not even a bit of subtlety there at all. Which is pretty cool because that means both James Brolin and Josh Brolin have played Bush.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BigHead posted:

The Thanksgiving episode was by far the funniest thing my then-youthful brain had ever laughed at. "I had a thermometer presented to me by the personal chef of the King of... auto sales... in Fargo. Phil Baharnd."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TcGEcKjSu4&feature=related

"I'm Joe Betherson...sen. That's one 't', and with an 'h' in there."

I love that scene so much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrVenkman posted:

Sorkin didn't know how else to use him? Danny, like Zoe, goes from being a character to a Sorkin plot point when they're needed.

Like the entire country of Equatorial Kundu. The episode that also introduces Ainsley Hayes has a great subplot about the President of Equatorial Kundu coming to the White House to try and get medicine for the people in his country suffering from AIDS. It's a very well done storyline. President Bartlett meets with him and during that meeting they find out a coup has gone down in his country. He refuses political asylum and goes back to his country where he is immediately executed when he gets off the plane. Then in season four there's another crisis in Equatorial Kundu and Bartlett and his staff act like they've never heard of the country before. He even mentions needing an atlas after hearing the name of the country. It's just odd, seeing how it's a made up country they should have remembered they did a storyline like that. Especially considering there had been recent episodes in that very season that had specific callbacks to stuff very early in the series. It was something in my recent rewatch that I caught for the first time and it kind of bothered me that they seemed to completely forget about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teacup posted:

Man I thought I had all the DVDs of this but I can only find a few.

I know there are 500 different versions floating around, is there any blu ray plans up and coming for the west wing? Or a good (runs in Australia!) DVD release that is widescreen for all/most of it? I don't want to just order one online and it be just dogshit double sided DVDs with full screen all the way... ugh

There's no widescreen release of season one available. There are for two through seven. As for double sided discs, I'm not sure. There are currently no plans for bluray, but Amazon and iTunes have full HD versions of all seasons. Including season one which was never even aired on TV in widescreen. You can look at my post on page one of this thread to get an idea of the difference between the the full and widescreen versions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

scarymonkey posted:

If you have the money for it you can download/watch West Wing in HD from iTunes and Amazon streaming:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/11/05/all-seven-seasons-of-the-west-wing-finally-available-in-hd-bu/

Yeah, and they're awesome. You can check out a screenshot from them I posted on page one of the thread. They are the only place I know that has season one in widescreen. It was never shown on TV or released on DVD in widescreen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Streaming prices are so loving ridiculous, $50 for the whole season?

Who the hell is buying these things?

It's actually $35 a season on Amazon. And it's not that bad. It's much more expensive on iTunes I believe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't think the episode was bad, but when I watch through the series I pretty much never watch that one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only season that wasn't originally shown 16x9 was the first season. All of the other seasons aired in HD originally (if available in your area at the time) and were released on DVD in 16x9. Season two was released in both widescreen and full screen. I think three through seven were only released in widescreen. So the first season was the only one remastered in 16x9 and HD for digital releases. I didn't find out until recently that the second actually aired in a few markets in widescreen originally. Most people only saw it in SD since HD wasn't that widespread at the time.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 29, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn. Every time I saw her pop up in a series I watched I smiled because she was great. This sucks. At least she had a nice long life.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TinTower posted:

Her appearance on Scrubs where she dies always makes me sad, but it's really overlooked because it Dr Cox doesn't figure into it.

Honestly, when I read the news even with this being the West Wing thread the first thing that popped into my head was that episode of Scrubs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FYI, all seven seasons of The West Wing are now available free on Amazon Instant for Prime Members. Both SD and HD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TinTower posted:

I'm surprised of the West Wing alumni that have guested in Psych, (Bradley's one) not one of them has made a reference. I mean, Dule Hill's right there!

I'm pretty sure Bradley Whitford has never been on Psych. He was on In Plain Sight, but not Psych.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a commentary junkie and West Wing junkie. That being said the West Wing commentaries are awful. Don't waste your time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Basticle posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before but I was looking for WW Wallpapers and found this

No idea what magazine this his from but everything about this is gold

:stare: Rob Lowe's hair.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kloaked00 posted:

Was on Amazon and happened across The West Wing boxset, which I already have for myself, but thought I'd share that it's $90 right now

I already have all the DVDs. I need some blu-rays dammit. There's no excuse anymore since Amazon has the entire series in high definition on Amazon Prime.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Every time this thread is bumped I'm hopeful for a blu-ray release. Every time I'm sad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool posted:

Every time this thread is bumped I'm hopeful for a blu-ray release. Every time I'm sad.

Goddammit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So according to Netflix, the premiere of season 3 is a Very Special Episode where the main characters explain the concepts of terrorism and Islamic extremism (re: 9/11) to a bunch of high schoolers while Leo is uncharacteristically racist toward a Muslim suspected of being a terrorist, which all seems to take place out of order of the show's timeline while the second episode continues the cliffhanger from the end of season 2? :psyduck:

The intro to the episode mentions that it's basically a play using the characters and is not part of the show's story in any way. It was aired weeks after 9/11. I think there's some good stuff in it, but again it's not part of the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oooooooooh, my Netflix must have messed up because I realize that I missed the intro and opening titles somehow. Nevermind, carry on. Was it promoted as the season premiere at the time, was it advertised as a special, or is Netflix dumb and out of order?

Here's the intro. It was the first episode of the season, but very much just a special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSAMKvADVhg

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luigi Thirty posted:

My favorite thing will forever be Clearchannel's list of 100 songs you couldn't play on the radio because of 9/11.

Was it only 100? I thought it was a few hundred. And if I remember it wasn't that they were banned just that it was suggested that they shouldn't play them for a while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

paragon1 posted:

lol "all songs by Rage Against the Machine".

Well, they got one thing right.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ed and Larry are pretty much the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of West Wing and it makes me sad that we never got an episode about them with poo poo going down around them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrawn527 posted:

What the hell? So they read the script out loud for the audience, recorded the laugh track, then added it to the episode? That's the dumbest TV...thing I think I've ever heard.

Eh, there's live performances like that of material all over. It's not that strange.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O posted:

Sigh.

GaussianCopula posted:

Not like one needs a reason to rewatch The West Wing, but here is one anyway. New episodes will be online every Wednesday

https://twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/709865028753575937

OK, a little less sad now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hoops posted:

The first and second seasons would insanely poo poo on Blu-Ray. Late 90s set lighting is only bareable with a fuzzier picture.

Eh, they looked just fine on Amazon back they had them on Prime. Way better than the DVDs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WarLocke posted:

Wait, someone please explain. New episodes? Is the gang getting back together?

What? No. Josh Malina is doing a podcast about the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The worst episodes of West Wing are better than 99% of things on the air today.

Also I didn't ever see this posted. It's a fun watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGSBHODuaUc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Basticle posted:

This is loving awesome

Especially so if you want to see everyone torment Joshua Malina.

• Locked thread