Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SyRauk posted:

I can't believe the undecideds looked at Trump and still wanted to throw the dice on those odds. Jesus tap-dancing Christ on a cracker.

The middle class in this country, especially rural middle class, are hurting real bad and the liberal solution of "job retraining, and your kids can move away to the city" isn't a proper answer to them. In fact liberalism that was born with Carter, and solidified under Clinton and evangelized through The West Wing (except for maybe Toby) has failed them spectacularly. Their lives are so lovely right now, what the hell did they have to lose by fence sitting when Hillary was incredibly lovely and Trump was lying his rear end off (but at LEAST he talked to them and spoke on their issues).

This past election and the fallout from it has basically ruined TWW for me.\ and I'd like Sorkin to shut the gently caress up about politics forever because the whole "respect the office" bullshit is still kind of influencing the democrats who seem more interested to appear to be doing the right thing instead of wielding power like the republicans do.

Still, it's great seeing Donna on The Leftovers and I'll always love Dule Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nah. It's really bad and democrats need to stop worshiping it as anything other than entertainment. Also the podcast is really bad since trump got elected. Malina is extra lovely since the election.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

This idea that The West Wing, a loving fictional TV show, is in any way responsible for the election results or the way Democrats act is completely absurd.

Like, it's super "woke" to write a big thinkpiece about how The West Wing gave us Trump, but it didn't. No one cares about a show that's been off the air for this long. The only TV show that got Trump elected is The Apprentice.

I didn't say any of that. But democrats absolutely idolize the show and it's loving bad because deep down the Bartlett White House is a lovely neoliberal collection of wonks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Okay, but "idolizes The West Wing" is like #500 on the list of "Problems the Democrats have" and yet it gets articles written up about it. Like, it's a symptom, not the cause of their dumb neoliberal beliefs.

I disagree. While I don't think it's super pressing, I think there was a Sorkinesque WW moment recently when Republicans nuked the judiciary filibuster recently and democrats went on record as saying "well when we're back in power, we're going to bring it back because the senate is a respectful institution where we carefully deliberate things and slow things down! RAH LOOK HOW GOOD WE ARE!" instead of hunkering down, doing even more work to win blue seats in red states and organize the senate so when a Dems swings back into he White House they can jam a young left judge down their throats to carry RBG's legacy. But no, it's all optics.

And my favorite WW episode to this day is the one where they get a far left and far right judge on the court instead of centrists.

I enjoy the show from an entertainment standpoint. Maybe Sorkins writing is a product of lovely neolib policies that have been spreading throughout the party since Carter. Or maybe he was coked out of his mind. But when the Obama White House has a "Big Block Of Cheese" day so Dems can get "all the feels", there's definitely an issue with them idolizing the tenets of the show.

Maybe I was just blind to it before and November was the jolt I needed but goddamn the show is full of Really Bad Democratic Ideologies.

E: for fucks sake the entire cast went on the campaign trail for Hillary, so it's definitely an influence within the party.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 18, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WampaLord posted:

It's this. His writing is a product of the bad system, not a cause of the bad system.

Fair enough. I guess I've just felt pretty goddamn annoyed seeing Dems pine for a WW style democrat lately through the prism of November and I guess I'm lashing out at the show. Which sucks because CJ and Charlie are such great characters. but I try to go back and watch and just end up yelling at the TV and switching over to Better Call Saul or something.

I enjoy his son's writing though, Too Big To Fail was pretty good. I'd like to see him take a crack at a show on politics.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

All your opinions are real bad.

Thanks. Does he still do the "Aye yay yay Trump" bit every 3 seconds and act really condescending/smug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I think that's happened twice in the run of the podcast to date? Possibly 3 times but once was Hrishi. And yknow, the stark contrast between Trump and a fictional Good President is occasionally worth remarking on, even if it is hardly a revelatory insight.

You sound pretty bitter about things that have nothing to do with the podcast or the show, but remember the option to not engage with either exists.

I seemed to remember it happening multiple times an episode for a good run there after November. I'm bitter about democrats being trash, yes.

i am the bird posted:

But in true Sorkin fashion, the far right judge is actually secretly good because he's smart and respects the office.

The West Wing absolutely pushes the ideas that decorum and civility matter more than material concerns, that polite reasoning will rule the day, and that hard work and intellect will get you wherever you need to go. The ideology in the show is toxic and its popularity is a good indicator of where white liberals are hilariously out of touch. It's also pretty clearly Sorkin's belief (see: The Newsroom and the recent public talk where he is STUNNED that people consider Hollywood to be sexist and racist)

TWW is masterful television, no doubt, but it's hard to watch and not see how tone deaf its politics are.

:lol: I forgot about that part. When Josh and Toby have a political orgasm about how "they work together, IT JUST WORKS JED"

• Locked thread