Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"20 Hours in America" part 1 and 2 from season 4 are my personal favorites. It's just a perfect 2 hours of television and it's always great to see them outside the White House. Seasons 6/7 were saved by Alan Alda, he was just incredible and I would have voted for him. I thought 7 was actually really enjoyable, just in a different way from the Sorkin years. The new writers just didn't know how to write for the original cast so they made their own characters, I don't really blame them for that.

I also compiled all the Ian McShane scenes in this clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8UtuFymfiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This line was random as hell

quote:

JOSH
Listen, uh, we need to talk about something.

AMY
What's that? Josh?

JOSH
Paid family leave. Sorry, there was a dog in here for a second.

AMY
A dog?

JOSH
A nice one. It was... uhkay.

AMY
So, what about paid family leave?

JOSH
Well, I-I'd like to talk about this in person. Any chance we could get
together?

There was no dog. I re-watched it a few times because it's just a big what the gently caress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FISHMANPET posted:

"You're putting my parents' cats on the supreme court!"

Apparently the set for the West Wing was the same set from "This American President." I guess that's about the only way you'd be able to afford a set like that for a TV show.

Just the oval office. All the other sets were made just for the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are some interesting tidbits involving televisionwithoutpity.com and Sorkin that resulted in that internet forum storyline.

http://bitchkittie.blogspot.com/2006/02/long-back-story-of-aaron-sorkin-west.html

Turns out Sorkin is kind of a troll. He had a dispute with one of the writers of an episode where they shared credit. He really can't let things go even years later.

quote:

However I was surprised that Sorkin even seemed to dredge up the old tiff with Rick Cleveland by having a character called "Ricky Tahoe" (See Cleveland is a city and Tahoe is a city...isn't Aaron clever?) who happens to be a hack writer who isn't as talented as his boss, the Aaron Sorkin-stand in, Matt Albie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FISHMANPET posted:

Season 6 has still got it, and Martin Sheen can still sell it.

"This. Plane. Is going to China. That is a direct order from your commander in chief."

Yeah Season 6 got real good. This is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulk3hDwxnmg

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah, but... Olivia Munn :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mary Louise Parker was pretty great on the show. She makes more sense as Josh's love interest than Donna IMO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That scene reminds me of one thing I find annoying about Sorkin's shows. The characters constantly talk about their credentials, their title, their education etc. Mandy talked about how she's cute and has a PhD. Even on Studio 60 some guy constantly talks about how he went to Harvard and one character bitches about online blogs because they aren't real journalists that went to Yale. On Sports Night one guy talks about how he has BA, MA, and JD degrees and Dan talks about how he went to Dartmouth. We get it, you are smart people! Don't need to shove it down my throat.

:smug: I'm an admiral in the U.S. Navy and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff... Beat that with a stick. :smug:

Though I guess you can be smug when you're the Chairman

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 5 wasn't bad or anything, it's just really, really boring. If you go back to a season 2 or 3 episode there was so much pep and energy. If "Shutdown" is the one I remember I didn't think it was that great either. Is it when someone dramatically says "Shut it down now" and there are all these dramatic camera cuts and booming music? It felt so out of place on this show.

I don't know how they did it but in season 5 I could barely stay awake. I used to love CJ, Toby, Josh and the rest but everything they did was so dull. Season 5 was definitely mixed like you said though, it makes me wonder how much notice the writers had that Sorkin was quitting/being fired.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 17, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember liking Jason Isaacs in season 5. On the other hand they blew up Fitzwallace. Conclusion: gently caress season 5!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

t3ch3 posted:

Just noticed Nick Offerman in 1.05 The Crackpots and These Women. He and Eugene Mirman try to convince CJ of the need to build a $900 million wolves-only highway.

CJ deals with the best crazies. I actually agreed with the guys that wanted to change the maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh, Toby :love:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alter Ego posted:

I don't remember the episode, but the exchange when Bartlet is trying to get away for a quickie with his wife always slays me:

Charlie: Mr. President--
Bartlet: Charlie, I have to go to a special meeting--
Charlie: Of the government, sir, yes. She went to Cochran's Mills early.
Bartlet: ...
Charlie: *grinning* Would you like to take another crack at the speech?
Bartlet: Would you like to wipe that smile off your face before I send you on special assignment to the Yukon?

Also

CHARLIE
We've got euphemisms. Every once in a while, there'll be a fluke cancelation some kind of gap
in the President's schedule, and the President and the First Lady might slip over... you know.

DEBBIE
For a "matinee."

CHARLIE
Yeah.

DEBBIE
What do you call it?

CHARLIE
"Barbecuing."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought Qumar was a real country because of this show and it led to an embarrassing situation years ago. Thanks a lot Sorkin, you rear end in a top hat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've been trying to watch Fringe but after slogging through 8 episodes I'm giving up on it again. Now I have an excuse to watch West Wing for the billionth time. Actually I might just watch season 5 since I've barely paid attention to those episodes in the past.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deadpool posted:

There's no widescreen release of season one available. There are for two through seven. As for double sided discs, I'm not sure. There are currently no plans for bluray, but Amazon and iTunes have full HD versions of all seasons. Including season one which was never even aired on TV in widescreen. You can look at my post on page one of this thread to get an idea of the difference between the the full and widescreen versions.

The individual box sets of the first few seasons has the annoying double-sided discs. On the complete series box set they are the normal single sides. This is in the US, might be different in Australia.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Access was an episode done a billion times before on shows like ER and The Practice. Actually I think John Wells got lazy because they also filmed a live episode of ER before doing it on the West Wing. The thing is that it was meticulously planned out and way more complicated on ER but on West Wing it was just two dudes on stage doing a debate.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 24, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I worded it weird. I was just saying that West Wing also did an Access (documentary) and The Debate (live) episode like ER which was also produced by John Wells.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No, but they did film two live performances, one for east and west coast airings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They tone down the laugh tracks and pauses really fast. Enjoy season 1 while it lasts because the show gets bogged down by an annoying relationship problem just like Studio 60.

And that Toby scene on the plane, I don't recall ever seeing that and I swear I've seen all the West Wing multiple times.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ALl the kid actors were also terrible and asked the worst questions.

"Aren't all Muslims terrorists?" :downs:

It felt like an after school special and nobody acted like themselves.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Jackal is one of the worst scenes in the entire show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everyone tried to forget that the military shuttle existed

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CJ went from Press Secretary to Chief of Staff. They never showed the Deputy CoS.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think one of my favorite moments is when Donna becomes Chief of Staff for the 1st Lady. She made it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was the implication that Santos had his unemployed brother on the government payroll for years and that he also had an illegitimate child. Vinick found info in his briefcase that he has a separate bank account from his wife which he uses to send monthly checks to some latino woman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just watched "Noel" from season 2. Wow this is a masterfully directed and acted episode. It's about Josh suffering from PTSD and talking to a psychologist, but what's even better is the cast commentary because they are talking about how the one guest actress playing the other psychologist was really hot. They can't stop talking about her.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 1, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Look who showed up in the series finale

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

*College girls asking for Josh's autograph
*The President doesn't hold a grudge...that's what he pays me for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzG1W4eYPo

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 7, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Popo posted:

Vinnick was the more interesting Candidate by a mile and I liked his trio of helpers even if Bob didn't really do anything.

I wonder if they purposefully hired sitcom actors to put them in serious roles. The mom from Home Improvement, Jimmy James from Newsradio, and the dad from Boy Meets World. They all got into the roles really well and I completely forgot about their older shows.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Studio 60 shows that Sorkin can hold a grudge for a long time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 6 has some decent episodes. These are the ones I'd watch

11 Opposition Research
13 King Corn
15 Freedonia
17 A Good Day
18 La Palabra
20 In God We Trust
21 Things Fall Apart
22 2162 Votes (not a huge fan of this one but the ending is awesome)

I liked all of these and they are all the Vinick and Santos campaign episodes. Alan Alda won an Emmy for his work here and Vinick is a really good character. I'm looking at the episode guide and all the other episodes are definitely "skips" for me.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 19, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That quirky dialogue actually tones down as the show goes on. I'm on season 4 right now and most conversations just sound normal. It's also weird to go watch the pilot again and go back to season 4. The offices were all bustling and loud and now the are dead quiet and there's barely any staffers around. It's empty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And her stupid hat

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Man compare that to CJ in season 4. She just looks so tired, why would anyone want that job. It was a great moment when she turned down Santos' offer to stay on a few more years.

You put olives in my jacket again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtwaDbXK440

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Huck and Molly. Cats come with hats.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At the end of season 7 there's a handful of transition episodes of the Santos administration. I thought they were all really well done and makes me wish there was one more season. Seeing Josh as Chief of Staff and Santos asking him "What's next?" was really great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

meatbag posted:

Technically, Josh outranks CJ :v:

"So far up your rear end!"

What's with the sodomy jokes? It just sounds gross. There were a bunch of them on Sports Night too. Bruno actually has the best one though.

"Or so help me mother-of-God I will stick a pitch-fork so far up your asses you will quite simply be dead."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I made it a few weeks ago. This scene is loving terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzG1W4eYPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BklynBruzer posted:

I've watched this show's entire run through... gently caress, 7 or 8 times now, and just binge-read this thread. One thing I didn't see mentioned is Sam's thing about going to Mars in Galileo - "You wanna know why we should go to Mars? 'Cause it's next. 'Cause we came out of the cave and we looked over the hill and we saw fire. And we crossed the ocean and we pioneered the West and we took to the sky. The history of man is hung on a timeline of exploration, and this is what's next."

God, I loving wish someone in government would say that in real life.

Speaking of Sam I was surprised to find out that Sorkin saw himself as Sam in the show, it explains why he has some of the most inspiring speeches. I really liked his thing about education.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhAxtcJSso

I bet Mallory put out that night

• Locked thread