Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Fun Shoe

spe posted:

Margarets egg joke is the best part of the show.

This is my favorite joke of anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

"We changed TIME ZONES?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1NHzQ1sgc

The best part is that anyone who has spent time in that part of Indiana could see that gag coming a mile away.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
The scene at some ball where they agree to not talk and just stand there taking turns eyeing each other to the tune of "Take Five" is awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Maybe I'm just thick and missed a running joke but this scene has been brought up drat near every page.

It's a funny joke and the timing and delivery are basically perfect. That gag belongs in a physical comedy textbook.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 12, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

I don't know, but while trying to figure it out, I came across this.

quote:

"Hey, why am I the only one being undressed," he smirks.

Nice

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

then he goes up to his office and Donna, breaks an ashtray and then goes to join her at the party! What about the report, man?!

I assumed that the scene with Donna was after he finished the report, which he probably wouldn't have been able to write in his nearly-empty office.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

Then why does he need an office, if he does his work elsewhere?

The White House is weird. But thanks for the answer!

Well he just moved in, there isn't even a computer or typewriter in there yet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
Maybe a white Republican president's daughter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
"Did you take an awkward pill?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo Arsenio Hall.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
I always thought that The Jackal was the kind of thing that wasn't that great by itself, but was the kind of thing where everyone who was there the first time she did it loves it because of the association with whatever the circumstances of that first time were and everyone else just goes along with those people because it is fun. I always figured that the newer staffers in that scene would have been just as :wtf: as the viewers were.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

I'm watching Season 3 episode Stirred and Bartlet is helping Charlie with his taxes and there's a line that strikes me.

Bartlet mentions that Charlie makes $35,000 a year and they frequently remark about how little Charlie makes.

Here we are, eleven years later. I live pretty near to DC, near enough that I'd imagine cost of living costs aren't all that different. If I don't take any unpaid days off, I make $27,000 a year.

Is this a reflection of how little I make or were the West Wing writers basing Charlie's pay on how much it costs to live cheaply in LA or what?

I think the context implied that it was $35k before taxes, so he probably took home something around $25k. He probably made relatively little compared to everyone else who works around the president (with all of their education and years of experience), but for someone with no college degree, no technical training, and basically no experience it seems about right. I suppose it could be on the low side considering the hours though.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 29, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
It is possible that the writers took some poetic license.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
Alan Alda could probably work around even Sorkin's writing of republican characters and get an Emmy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
An article with a bunch of interesting interview snippets.

quote:

WHITFORD: The hours on that show were so bad. I mean, just horrible. I remember going to Tommy and saying to him, "The invisible carnage of the unf—ed wives and the children not being read to is just wafting out."

quote:

SCHIFF: I pitched an idea to both to them: "You know what would be amazing? If we lost [the election]. Just imagine. No one would be expecting it. We would lose and we're gone. That's the end of it." Tommy said that was actually an amazing idea but the network and studio would never go for it because they have to make their money back.

quote:

WHITFORD: Josh was the perverse one on set. He'd set everybody's iPod to Mandarin, or you'd be reading a book on set and the last four pages are torn out. And he had no sense of proportion. One day I am doing a scene and there's a big crowd of people and Jimmy Smits comes over and he hugs me and goes, "I love you too, man. And those flowers were amazing and the letter means so much to me." Josh had snuck into my trailer, gotten my stationary and written a vaguely homoerotic thing to Jimmy about working together.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
It appears that this guy is a really, really big fan of "Seventeen People".

http://seventeenpeople.com/

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
Part of the change early on may be that Bartlett was originally intended to be kind of a side character. Then Martin Sheen went over really well with audiences so they decided to write him in more.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
Most depressing thing I learned from that article:

There exists a VHS tape of Dule Hill tap dancing to music improvised by Yo Yo Ma and it will probably never be on youtube. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
I don't remember Bartlett being bad at names as a running joke. It would be a weird problem for a politician to have.

Ed and Larry are a special case where no one being able to remember which is which is a running joke.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
So Josh and Donna are in Alpha House.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Is Alpha House good? I may need to watch. I know it has John Goodman but I've been burned too many times before on Washington-politics-TV shows.

It is good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
You feta believe it!

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
Screwup situations make for better TV than an office full of people doing their jobs competently and never making mistakes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

And never referred to by the staff. Cold.

Because they were all a little bit relieved.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

Has anyone watched Designated Survivor? I just checked out the first two episodes and unfortunately it's pretty bad. It's not unwatchable or anything, but the tone and emotion of almost every scene doesn't fit at all with the circumstances. Everyone in the US government gets blown up and the show seems to forget about it half the time even though it's only 2 episodes in.

It sounds exactly like the Tom Clancy book where Jack Ryan gets to be president after a treacherous Jap crashes a jet airliner into the rest of the executive, legislative, and judicial branches, killing them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Fun Shoe
I found the definition linked in the episode description.

• Locked thread