Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
My fiancee and I have been slowly going through the show via Netflix. We've just started season 5, though it's been put on hold for True Blood for a while. I really enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 (and "Bartlett for America" was one of my favorite episodes) but man, seasons 1 and 2 were amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

If nothing else, season 5 has some awesome guest stars.

Just watched episode 6, with Terry O'Quinn and Nick Searcy - Locke and Art! And of course Gary Cole as the new VP, which I love.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Those double-sided discs are the poo poo if you're getting them from Netflix, though. 8 hour-long episodes on one disc? yes please

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I love Sports Night to death, but... West Wing is a bit better. Sports Night is incredibly endearing, though.

Watching the "Shutdown" plotline in season 5 seems a bit too timely these days. Kinda wish things in Washington could get resolved nice and quickly like in a West Wing episode.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'll give that episode credit, cause it DID actually change one of my friend's minds about the Muslim world when he saw it back in the day.

I skipped it, though.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I just watched "The Stormy Present" tonight, and it was one of my favorites from season 5 so far. I loved seeing some of the past presidents of the West Wing world. (And John Goodman coming back is always welcome.)

The one after it, "The Benign Prerogative", is kinda too flash-backy and ends on a bummer note, but I can see how they're starting to groom Donna to be a more important player in the White House.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

And the episode was a fairly personal one, the guy wrote it about his dad... and then years later in Studio 60 Sorkin was still making fun of him.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Just finished watching The Supremes.

It was both amazing and depressing, because something like that could only happen in a fictional world.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Actually, "Access" was nowhere near as bad as I heard. It was good to have a CJ-centric episode and the talking head stuff wasn't too annoying.

Looking forward to the election stuff in seasons 6-7.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Just bought seasons 6 and 7 off Amazon - the seasons are going for about 16 apiece!

Gonna finish up season 5 soon. It really hasn't been as bad as people made me expect, though except for "The Supremes" it never really reached the heights of other seasons.

I'm not a huge fan of Will's arc so far; does it improve in seasons 6 and 7?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm just used to liking the actor from Sports Night. He seemed like a cool guy in season 4, but his decision to go over to Russell really weakened him and made him such an ancillary character.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Too bad I just bought two seasons.

However, the fiancee and I used this Labor Day weekend to binge on West Wing. I'm halfway through season 6, and I'm loving the new election focus. The episode where CJ becomes Chief of Staff is hilarious, too, mostly for Margaret.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Where I am, he just talked some straight poo poo about corn.

Season 6 has been quite good.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Just finished season 6. The scene with Leo going on stage with Santos got me a little teary-eyed, I'm gonna be honest.

Especially since I know how that ends up going.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Probably the same reason all of season 2 of MASH is "long wait" - Netflix can't get their poo poo together.

I'm about halfway through season 7 so far; I've really been enjoying it, though I can note some budget restraints. (Both Vinnick and Santos's headquarters kinda look like rooms from the west wing.) The election storyline is great. I'll be missing this show after I'm done...

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Goddamn, Leo and Annabeth are so loving adorable.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Leo :( :( :(

The election episodes were really good.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shutting down the government did happen in the 90s, and wasn't too far off happening recently. Wasn't the first time the show did an alternate version of the Clinton presidency.

I still can't work out why that character exists.

No, the worst character was that random assistant of Toby's during season 5. There was some sort of kerfuffle about her dressing too casual for the White House. That was pretty much all she did. And then she was gone.

I finished the series yesterday; a good ending, even if NBC didn't give it the proper two-hour sendoff it deserved.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

One of my friends was definitely of the "turn the entire Arabian peninsula into glass" persuasion and that West Wing changed his mind, so I'll give it that. We were in 10th grade.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Ellie also shows up in Sports Night for an episode. I think she's Casey's kid's babysitter.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Does anyone have a picture of that crazy election map from season 7? With the election 2 days away I'd love to see when Texas is blue and California's red.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

On my second complete watch of this show Toby has become my clear favorite character. I'm watching 20 Hours in America now and the combination of him, Josh, and Donna getting themselves lost is priceless. Shame what they did to him near the end.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm watching the 4th season now, and they've begun the arc of intervention in Equatorial Kundu. I swear these episodes are 9, 10 years old but still startlingly relevant to today's headlines.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

A lot of people give it crap for being heavy-handed, but I remember at least one of my friends coming to school (it was our senior year) and saying "Man, I wanted to nuke all of the Middle East and then I saw that West Wing episode, it really changed my mind."

So you know, it had some effect, even if it was just on that one guy I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

All I remember is that Dave Matthews Band's "Crash into Me" was on that list.

• Locked thread