Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Gravy Jones posted:

Do we really need spoilers for a show that ended five years ago? It's not like an spoiler-free rewatch thread or anything.

Matthew Perry as a guest star amused me because the actor was referenced earlier in the show. So in the West Wing universe Matthew Perry also exists as an actor. Then again in Studio 60 (hey Matthew Perry again) there's a Bartlet campaign poster in one of the rooms, and Alison Janney is in playing herself... so in the Studio 60 universe etc, etc. MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF! I don't actually care about that stuff, it just amused me.

On an unrelated note does anyone else thing Sorkin is really heavily influenced by MASH? Particularly later MASH when it was more dramatic. He's a big fan of framing episodes with a "gimmick". Like an event through the eyes of a secondary character or as a letter to a relative and a few other things like that (many of these lifted directly from similar episodes on Sports Night). A lot of these are things that MASH did first and I've always thought it was a big influence on him. I guess Sports Night is a better comparison as it has a similar tone with regards to serious business in a sitcom.

MASH has done everything; I would be more surprised if he wasn't heavily influenced by MASH. Hell, even The Office is influenced by MASH. drat that was a good show. I would be willing to bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that every major show runner in the US is intimately familiar with every episode of MASH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

t3ch3 posted:

Does anyone else skip over Isaac and Ishmael when they rewatch the show? I consider it more of a historical aberration than an episode of the show and it wasn't very interesting or well put together in the first place.

I always skip over that one. I couldn't even make it through it the first time. I felt like I was being given a condescending lecture in the 8th grade. By far the worst episode of the series.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

njbeachbum posted:

Yeah I skip that one and the 9/11 one when I do a run through.

What 9/11 episode? I certainly don't remember seeing a 40 minute episode of Aaron Sorkin awkwardly preaching to the audience about the relationship between Islam and the western world like they were children, and I've seen every episode. I think you must be mistaken.

I don't get the Access hate either. I liked it, but I tend to always like it when a television show drastically breaks from their common narrative structure for an episode.

The only ones I outright dislike, are all the ones having to do with the Zoey kidnapping. It's hard to feel dramatically invested when you know from the start she's gonna be ok; because otherwise they would have to spend an entire season dealing with her loss, and it would still feel cheap.

My two personal favorite other than those commonly mentioned, are Two Bartletts and Night Five. Toby episodes were the best.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 19, 2012

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

thrawn527 posted:

It's such a quiet episode compared to others, but I love 17 People. It's so powerful, and at times terrifying.

There's that one titular line of the episode that really highlights what was so great about Schiff's acting, and the cadence of his delivery. It's was something to the effect of "There were 17 people...you knew." that really showcased how much he added in emotional impact to what was already a great line.

It worked extremely well for the comedic lines as well. There was that one exchange where Josh has just screwed up a press briefing that went like:

"Have you fallen on your head?"
"Listen-"
"Have you fallen down,and hit your head on something hard?"

That had me laughing more than some shows billed as "comedies".

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

TinTower posted:

Schiff was also in The Infidel, a comedy about a Muslim who finds out he was born to Jewish parents. It's better than it sounds, because Schiff and Omid Djalli do play off each other well.

And how could I have forgotten 17 People in the list of brilliant cold opens? :doh:

I was at one of those specialty video rental stores that has like a million moves from the past and overseas,etc, and I asked the clerk if they had The Infidel. He asked me what it was and I told him it's Richard Schiff and an adopted Muslim that just found out his bio parents were Jewish. He immediately ordered it for the store as I stood in front of him, and then said I could rent it after he has.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

James R posted:

I poo poo you not, I just clicked on this thread to post about that item. Totally want it, but think it would just make me sad as Leo/John Spencer died.

I'm kind of pissed I never thought of that. Not that I want one on my wall, but the ability to turn a gazillion percent profit on one sharpie, 1000 white napkins, and some wooden picture frames.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
The Bach Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1 preformed by Yo-Yo Ma with Josh and Stanley Keyworth from ATVA was a pretty emotional scene, probably one of the best in the series. The slow build up, to the yelling in denial, and the crash before it all comes to light. The overwhelming presence of the music;that was some brilliant directing.That had to get a few peoples hearts pounding other than me.

Edit: Watched it again. The clapping overlayed once he's finally free from his burden. Great drat scene.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 21, 2012

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

James R posted:

Obviously the show wasn't the same post-Sorkin, but the main things that annoyed me were what happened to Leo and what happened to Toby. Neither were fitting with the characters through what we'd seen in the first three/four seasons.

Leo being replaced as Chief of Staff as he finds it impossible to support Bartlet's position about sending thousands of American soldiers to the West Bank and Gaza as part of an Israeli-Palestinian agreement. Leo wanted to striker targets in retaliation and not have peace talks. This is absolute bullshit. This is Leo McGarry who we've already heard numerous times discuss how he's been in a war and that he would rather try anything other than go to war/put troops in danger. I quote a discussion he had with Bartlett earlier in the series: '..and you think ratcheting up the body count is going to help? Then you are just as stupid as these guys who think that capital punishment is going to be a deterrent for drug kingpins.' There's also his discussion re: the missile defence shield with Lord John Marbury which says, 'I think the world invented the bomb and it owes itself the chance to make it irrelevant'. There are loads of other examples of him being against this sort of military action and I hate the fact that he was fired/stepped down. loving John Wells.

Toby being the one who released the information about the military space shuttle that could've rescued the astronauts in trouble was also a crock of poo poo. Everything we learn in series 1-4 tells us that Toby is idealistic, but incredibly loyal. Not once, but twice he shouts at Leo as he believes Leo has questioned his loyalty (the second time being when Leo sets him up with a 'lifeboat' job at a news firm. There is no way he does that to his President and staff in a million years, and again.. John Wells needs a dry slap. Dick.

The writing for Leo and Toby was so bad post season 4 that to this day Richard Schiff has not seen a single episode of season 5,6,or 7, even ones he was in. He was particularly upset about the leak plot line, as Omne said. Maybe Schiff and Toby have loyalty in common.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Here's my thing. (Besides all the other problems with this plotline that have already been mentioned.) There's a plotline early on--season one or two, I can't recall--where some information is deliberately withheld from CJ so she has plausible deniability in front of the press. CJ is ticked and I think it's resolved not to do that anymore because she's a valued member of the team and hugs for everyone, etc. But when we're talking about a super secret military space vehicle--what reason would CJ have to have access for that information? And for that matter, what reason would Toby? She's the press secretary; he's in charge of communications. Unless they were planning on announcing that the vehicle existed--which, clearly, they weren't--then there isn't any plausible reason why either or both of those people would have access to that information. I'm not exactly an expert on information security, but that seems obvious, right?

CJ was Cheif of Staff by that time wasn't she? Everything post mid season five gets kind of muddled for me as not much of it was interesting until Santos started getting involved. I thought the leak happened at the very end of season 6, and leo had the hear attack during the episode at camp david( I don't remember which one that was)?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I know this is from a few pages back, but I found that Yo Yo Ma scene on youtube. Apparently Spanish speakers were as much of a fan of it as I was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVvgyqSTrk

So.drat.Good.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Remember when scheduling time for the marathon to add a few hours to watch Manchester, and 20 hours in America twice.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Asiina posted:

I've watched through the series more times than I can count, and I always feel a little pang of disappointment when Will is introduced because the series really does drop quite a bit in quality very quickly.

I think my major issue with Season 5 and 6 is that the characters don't feel like themselves anymore and they definitely don't feel like colleagues anymore. It's an ensemble show, and the magic of it comes through the characters interacting with each other. Then we get to Season 5 and 6 and everyone is angry with each other all the time and making snarky backhanded comments to each other that just come off as mean rather than funny or playful. It's hard to pinpoint moments since it's a general feeling, but obviously the physical fight between Josh and Toby is the worst example. These are professionals and they're friends and the circumstances that lead them to actually coming to blows is so ridiculous it's hard to believe. Other examples are from the lockdown episode, "No Exit" where CJ and Donna are talking and they're just so mean to each other for no real reason, and Toby and Will just spend the episode yelling.

It's just so far removed from the best of West Wing (Season 2).

I actually didn't really mind the part where Josh and Toby fight. Look at the context. Toby's brother just committed suicide because he's dying of cancer, which Toby feels was an act of abandonment, to his family and to himself. Josh comes back after leaving his post, which evokes similar feelings of abandonment within Toby, since he considered Josh as something of a brother to him. The fight itself is even choreographed like a fight between brothers. Starts out with some yelling and name calling, something small gets thrown, and then they begin to wrestle. I didn't really find it that ridiculous at all, I thought it was rather well done.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

"A god of the English language," especially one who works in politics, would definitely NOT be a prescriptivist.

Some of my favorite Toby moments are when he slips up with his usual cleverness.

"...like a guy with a big new thing, that doesn't know how to get the most out of it!"

"..tempt the wrath from high atop the thing".

"..glass is half full or, you know, half...the other thing".

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I think I remember reading a couple years ago that Iran actually did sentence a women to death by stoning for adultery. Don't know what ever came of that, but it was well after the show had finished.

• Locked thread