Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

You left out recurring pressmen Frick & Frack. I don't recall their names but they've plenty of scenes throughout the series and some great one liners.

You mean Larry and Ed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Austen Tassletine posted:

Along with the secret plan to fight inflation, I nominate the Butterball hotline as the funniest scene in the show.

I cannot think of another programme that managed to combine comedy and drama as well as they managed. It probably helped that the casting was about as perfect as you can get.

"Phil Baharned?"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

CJ only told me to stay off that one site! She never said anything about SA. :smug:

So, Josh, do you still think that the White House can order a GAO review of anything it wants?

Also, CJ did say she'd shove a motherboard SO FAR UP YOUR rear end if she caught wind of you doing anything like this again.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Over The Road posted:

Probably my favourite tv show of all time.

I binged my way through this on the first sitting, I recently re-watched it with my girlfriend and there are so many fist pumping, stomach churning and tear jerking moments.

It seems like the trendy thing to do to claim that seasons 1-4 are infinitely better than 5-7, there were some amazing moments in the latter half of the shows run. Josh was always my favourite character so the Santos / Vinick campaign that afforded him a lot more screen time made me very happy.

I read that during Obama's campaign he was introduced by Jimmy Smits at a campaign event, whose character in the West Wing was based on a rising star from Chicago. META.

Matt Santos was from Texas--they mention it multiple times in terms of "flipping" the electoral math during the campaign.

Also, I'd agree that seasons 1-4 are vastly superior to 5-6, but the campaign in season 7 was fantastic. I would have had a tough time not voting for Arnie Vinick, and I'm a diehard liberal.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 9, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The White House does not engage in any activity that violates the 5th Amendment or Title 6.

CJ's too busy with "development" so I'm pretty sure my rear end is in the clear. :smug:

What's it like every time Lou Thornton owns your rear end in a campaign? Does it make you feel less like a man, Josh? :smug:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Which episode featured Bartlet dressing down that lady that hosted a radio talkshow (I think) who was sitting down the entire time and he called her out on it? One of the best scenes ever.

"The Midterms", S2E3. It was right after Josh got shot.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I just suspend disbelief at who we do or do not see. It's never stated what happens to Sam after he loses his House race, and we do see that he at some point ends up as a lawyer in California, but it's suggested that he still works at the White House, doing policy stuff.

Same goes for Ainsley Hayes, too--she just vanishes at one point then turns up in Season 7 working at the Hoover Institute.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

I love the show, and am only bothered by Santos' progression to the White House.

He goes from Mayor of Houston --> US Representative --> President.

Even if he was term limited, no former Mayor of Houston would run for Congress. Elected Officials don't take steps down. Had he gone from Mayor to Senator, or Governor or something, it would've made more sense.

Strictly speaking, it's not a step down. The US House offers the ability to gain national prominence, something being mayor of Houston doesn't.

Also, with Matt Santos, I think Sorkin was looking to make him very unlikely. He was Hispanic, he was a sitting Congressman, and his being from Texas meant that the writers could flip the electoral map on its head. Anyone remember how hosed-up the map looked at the end of Election Day Part II? Christ, they had Vinick winning Vermont and Santos winning South Carolina.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 11, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Ainsley wasn't an intern when they appeared on Capital Beat.

Ladies love the stache.

At least I'm not from New Jersey. :smug:

They have a word for Connecticut Jews where I come from, Josh. Yeah.

They pronounce it "Presbyterian". :smug:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You Am I posted:

I've been watching this show, kinda slowed down in the fifth season. However reading from other posts in this thread that S6 kicks in a gear, I'll keep trucking through it.

S5 does have a couple excellent episodes, however, including "The Supremes" which stars Glenn Close and William Fichtner as SCOTUS nominees from opposite ends of the political spectrum.

There's also the government shutdown, as well as Bartlet temporarily giving up the Presidency to the Speaker of the House.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Next up in the rewatch is '2162 votes.' I know what happens, and I'm getting chills from the cold open alone.

Hell yes. I've rewatched that episode so many times I think the DVD it's on is starting to wear out. Nothing better than some convention drama--makes me wish that conventions were still like that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bad Wolf posted:

Fitz was always great. Like when Charlie was introduced, I'm paraphrasing here :

Leo : What do you think about a black kid being the Presidents body man?
Fitz : You gonna pay him a decent wage and treat him with respect?
Leo : Yeah.
Fitz : Then what the gently caress do I care? You know I've got actual wars to fight, not PR ones.

I can't remember the exact episode, but another side character, Nancy something is pissed at a military situation and enters the situation room : "Leo, yeoman Fitzwallace."

My favorite was when Nancy McNally calls him "Admiral Sissy Mary".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BigHead posted:

The Thanksgiving episode was by far the funniest thing my then-youthful brain had ever laughed at. "I had a thermometer presented to me by the personal chef of the King of... auto sales... in Fargo. Phil Baharnd."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TcGEcKjSu4&feature=related

Toby's reaction after the call is great too. "'Phil Baharnd'?" :raise:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I remember people were not happy with how Charlies character basically faded away to nothing in the later seasons. They gave him a fair amount of screen time early on in the show but could have done a lot more with the character I think. Bartlett and Charlie have some great banter moments in the series.

I don't remember the episode, but the exchange when Bartlet is trying to get away for a quickie with his wife always slays me:

Charlie: Mr. President--
Bartlet: Charlie, I have to go to a special meeting--
Charlie: Of the government, sir, yes. She went to Cochran's Mills early.
Bartlet: ...
Charlie: *grinning* Would you like to take another crack at the speech?
Bartlet: Would you like to wipe that smile off your face before I send you on special assignment to the Yukon?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Also

CHARLIE
We've got euphemisms. Every once in a while, there'll be a fluke cancelation some kind of gap
in the President's schedule, and the President and the First Lady might slip over... you know.

DEBBIE
For a "matinee."

CHARLIE
Yeah.

DEBBIE
What do you call it?

CHARLIE
"Barbecuing."

This is even funnier because Lily Tomlin played Debbie, and she was so good at just deadpanning those lines.

The bits when she interviewed with the President were funny too.

"I have unsurpassed powers of deduction."
"Oh yeah? Those come with tights and a cape?"
"CHARLIE!!!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Might be a lesbian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy97RcGoFes

The President's speech at the end of "20 Hours in America" loving kills me every time

Bartlet: Ran into the fire.
Me: :cry:

The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels tonight...this is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars.

God bless them. God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Omne posted:

she was hilarious doing The Jackal or after oral surgery

I HAD WOOT CANAWWWLLLL!!!!

Also:

Josh: Sam's at Foggy Bottom.

CJ: What'sh Sam doing at Foggy Bottom?

Josh: (snickering) He's not--I just wanted to hear you say Foggy Bottom. Sam's in with the speechwriters.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I love this Toby line from "Faith Based Initiative":

"God, I hate this issue. It's like walking around town holding a sick chicken."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

myron_cope posted:

But for a primary? It would be perfectly fine if there was some Democrat challenging Bartlet, but I mean...what if HL just had more republicans than democrats? Unless New Hampshire has open primaries (Wikipedia says they have "semi-open")...but it still seems silly to worry about. Bartlet isn't running against Ritchie or any other republican at that point!

It would still be a story, seeing as how the show's media is a lot like the actual media. Bartlet's from New Hampshire and was sent to the House three times and elected Governor twice by crushing margins. Hartsfield's Landing was voting and until the other votes in the NH primary were counted that's all the news media would have had to report on.

The top story on all the cable channels, until the votes were all in, would have been "Ritchie Gets More Votes In Hartsfield's Landing Than Bartlet".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

t3ch3 posted:

Well, remember that later in the episodes about the debates it's revealed that there is a third-party challenger to Bartlet, Senator Stackhouse, who's running from the left - a pretty thinly veiled Nader proxy who decides to "honorably" drop out before the debate. Since he's a Senator to the left of Bartlet it's a fair assumption that he's a Democrat who might have been trying to primary Bartlet, later switching to a third-party campaign after the primary. So the Flendersons could have voted for him instead.

I thought Donna said they were voting for Ritchie? Stackhouse was having trouble getting on the ballot in a bunch of states, wasn't he?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if they purposefully hired sitcom actors to put them in serious roles. The mom from Home Improvement, Jimmy James from Newsradio, and the dad from Boy Meets World. They all got into the roles really well and I completely forgot about their older shows.

Not to mention Stephen Root (aka Gordon from Dodgeball, Milton from Office Space, and Bill from King of the Hill)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OSheaman posted:

The ending of "Gone Quiet" is one of the best in the entire series. Nothing beats taking one of the most consistently dramatic shows on television and ending the episode with the dramatic equivalent of a wet fart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF4SERl3uE0

(I had to make this clip myself :smith: )

I have to say, though--all the exchanges between Albie Duncan and Bartlet are great.

The best one is where Leo and Duncan are talking about Vietnam and all of a sudden we hear a banging noise. The camera pans up to show the President banging his head against the desk. He looks up and goes "Oh, my gracious...am I still here?"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that Sam was supposed to be the star of the show, but Bartlett had a better reception, and so the showrunners did something you rarely see - they reacted and started focusing things around Bartlett.

Also, I'm clearly a better character than Sam. :colbert:

Josh, you sleep in a dumpster last night?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Although that misses out the best bit, which is Toby's expression when she first swaggers up singing about how sexy she is. Confused and just a wee bit turned on.

Josh does this too during the "WOOT CANAW" moment.

"CJ, you shouldn't say that...you got a great body."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

tissue paper thin pastrami.

Is it from Krupen's? :colbert:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hoops posted:

The third season finale is set against a big bombastic opera scene, but it's underplayed and the drama is slow-burning. It's watching the dark side come in, rather than Bartlett just being a perfect godlike Super-president again. Much prefer it.

The scene where he takes Ritchie down was pretty cool, though.

"In case you're wondering, Rob...'Crime...boy I don't know'? That was when I decided to kick your rear end."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

So... do we think Charlie could have carried the president off of Air Force One in China?

The character was devoted enough to Bartlet that I have no doubt he'd have tried.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

maniacripper posted:

What do you mean imagine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel

Toby's WAY more liberal than Emanuel. Josh is the one based on Rahm, anyway--right down to the fish incident.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Roflex posted:

Say what you will about Sorkin's writing, but drat he writes a good Christmas show.

If you're talking about Noel, then hell yes he does.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

It's such a quiet episode compared to others, but I love 17 People. It's so powerful, and at times terrifying.

The beginning of that episode...my God.

Toby sitting in his office bouncing that rubber ball against the wall--it has an oddly ominous sound. It gives me chills to watch him slowly figure it out.

"Why does Hoynes think the President isn't going to run again? What's going on, Leo?"

Hobohemian posted:

"Have you fallen on your head?"
"Listen-"
"Have you fallen down,and hit your head on something hard?"

"That was some great television, Josh, and I think four network news channels will bear me out on that!"

And then Sam comes in a bit later and going "I gotta say--telling a reporter their question is stupid isn't like a page out of Dale Carnegie or anything." Slays me, every time.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 20, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

Started the rewatch, oh God it's Glorious.

I'd actually forgotten about Mandy, but drat you guys are right. So out of place. The over the top 'park the car on the curb and start screaming at someone' thing, the constant nagging, it's clearly a charecter experiment gone wrong.

At first I thought she was just annoying, but now I'm episode 9, the short list. In talking about nominating Mendoza, she says she's upset because "He's ruled in favour of same sex marriages."

gently caress. That. Bitch.

I mean, I know she's coming at it from a PR standpoint, but this sort of poo poo is exactly what's holding back American (and global) politics. Not doing the right thing because you're worried how it will play in the press. Anyone who lists ruling in favour of gay marriage as a bad thing has no place anywhere. Also in the last episode she was going in guns blazing for drug testing everyone in the white house.

She was hired as a media consultant and knew that Mendoza's pro-gay marriage rulings would make it harder to sell him to the public. She said it herself--he'd make a great justice, but he's a lousy candidate.

Also, this was before they realized Harrison was a closeted strict constructionist. :gonk:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I dunno, the Bartlets were a powerful and influential family, you can fanfic it up as a special order.

One episode that never sat right with me - in season 5, Leo gives CJ an edited EPA report and tells her that the final report will reflect administration views, with no real reason for his complete disregard for her, or the report. It just goes against Leo so much to suddenly be the biggest and most stressed dick on the planet. It was forgotten by the next episode, but it always stuck out to me.

Leo has dick moments all the way through 7 seasons--whether it's him unceremoniously telling the Surgeon General that she had better resign or she'll be shitcanned for telling the truth about marijuana, his propping-up of a missile defense system that objectively doesn't work, the way he deals with John Hoynes (although Hoynes is a prick, so some of that is warranted), telling Josh to get his protester friends to leave Vieques, and his reaction to Bartlet's Middle East summit proposal.

He's the Chief of Staff, though, so dick moments are gonna be unavoidable, and he's redeemed by his reaction to the Bartlet For America napkin and the season 7 episode where he purposefully leaks footage of himself doing badly in debate camp.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khablam posted:

I got linked this when I woke up:

"Ya lost yer boat in the wrong part of the world, Mr. President."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khablam posted:

McNally: "Mr. President, submariners understand that if they sink it won't be a rescue, it'll be a recovery. They measure risk and rewards not just in terms of their own lives, but in terms of national interest"

Bartlet: "Well, that's great. I assess the national interest by the number of people alive, not dead"

drat, I love any episode that has Nancy doing her thing.

Admiral Sissy Mary.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

myron cope posted:

They made Ritchie such a caricature. At least at the War of the Roses thing. His "you're what my friends call a 'superior sumbitch'" is the line that really seals it for me (although his "Crime, boy I don't know" is also bad). They made it impossible for Bartlet to lose. People don't really talk like that, even George W. Although I think Rick Perry did his best to prove me wrong.

Actually, the show has Bartlet pretty on the ropes until the debate--that's when he whooped Ritchie's rear end and pretty much sealed the election.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
West Wing was set in a world where people could actually differentiate how they felt about the President from how they felt about people in Congress.

Besides, I think the margin in both houses was like razor-thin for the Republicans anyway.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khablam posted:

I think it's been mentioned a few times in passing,but thanks for the link :)

Every scene with Babish in is a delight.

There's a scene where Babish is sitting on the edge of his desk and there's a tape recorder that won't stop recording, and then Bartlet comes in and starts reeling off about the whole MS thing, and Babish just stares...then picks up the gavel and smashes the crap out of the tape recorder.

For some reason it just makes me giggle every time.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Season 5 also had weird one-offs like where they "fix" social security in a single episode. It's so very un-West Wing to have a massive issue get easily resolved in the space of an hour. But I can see the writers still struggling to do something and just revert to more conventional TV thinking.

I've only seen this episode once or twice, but I'm pretty sure that they don't fix anything. The whole thing blows up in Toby's face and it becomes an object lesson in why Democrats and Republicans hate each other.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

withak posted:

It's a funny joke and the timing and delivery are basically perfect. That gag belongs in a physical comedy textbook.

I couldn't figure out why it was so funny until I realized that during the pre-credits sequence Babish mentions that the record button is stuck and it won't stop recording everything.

Then it made sense, and the scene where he smashes it just became that much funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't understand how you watch the smashing scene without seeing the cold open. Youtube!!! :argh:

Mr. Lyman, don't you have a message board to troll? :allears:

(And the smashing scene is also in the cold opening--it's just that I had never paid attention to any of the stuff that happens before Bartlet and Leo enter the room.)

• Locked thread