Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paragon8 posted:

I got the impression that it wasn't 100% confirmed either way and Santos could very likely have a love child but nobody was willing to make the election about that.

That's how I took it as well. Everybody was willing to let it go and Vinick wasn't enough of a piece of poo poo to make it an issue, but they didn't necessarily believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is incredibly stupid but that poo poo does have a huge effect. Declaring an election when east coast polls close can seriously depress turnout on the west coast and if it's a close election, it doesn't take much. Not even just for a national vote like a presidential, I was working a house campaign in 2010 and when the EST polls started going mass Republican our Democrat turnout in the west started dropping. And in elections like ours where the difference was less than 1%, that's a serious problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

That's what confuses me the most about that episode. The choice shouldn't really be Ritchie over Bartlett. It would be Ritchie over the other Republicans, and Bartlett over Stackhouse (if Stackhouse is even on that ballot). So I guess by "winning" they mean people choosing to take the Dem primary over the Republican primary, but honestly, if you're not already a Democrat, who would do that? You'd be throwing your vote away. The whole thing doesn't make much sense, and would work better if it was some random straw poll in a small town that gets national notice for some reason.

Yeah, I didn't remember the primary part. I think they just conflated the two when they were writing, it makes perfect sense as a general election but none at all as a primary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It just changes as the style on TV has changed. I don't think there's anything specific about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Alaemon posted:

One thing I will never get over about this show is the absurdly peppy end-credits music compared to the down-note on which most episodes end. It's enough to give me whiplash.

I always turn it off before that happens. That was a bizarre choice of music.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

So my roommate and I have settled on CJ for the girl, but we're debating between Sam and Leo for the boy. Thoughts?

Toby. Solid cat name plus Toby is the best.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

t3ch3 posted:

It's not exactly "el, oh, el" material since it exists in real life, even though it violates several treaties.

Er, what? The USAF was originally going to get a couple shuttles and operate them from Vandenberg, but they canceled the whole thing. Do you mean that unmanned thing they started testing?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We had a couple things at our campaign office that would have you guys rolling eyes and shouting SORKIN!!! if they were in the show. The personalities that go far in politics (at least on the campaigning side) have a higher level of cheese than normal people, in my experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

myron_cope posted:

I've always imagined politicians disdain the public when they aren't near them. So like instead of saying "we have to help people!!!" behind closed doors they'd be saying like "what the gently caress do these bastards want from me all they do is complain" or something. But I guess that's cynical?

Or maybe they only do it when there's like one or two trusted people around, I guess it's not something you'd say around staff. But I bet it happens!!

The one I worked for didn't (which is why I genuinely liked working for her), but I'm sure a lot do.

Though one of the best moments in the office was when she was on the phone with one of the local bigwigs that you have to suck up to but everybody hates. In the middle of the strained-pleasant conversation she starts doing the jerk off hand motion, and even finished with the jizz splash.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Jackal made perfect sense to me after working on a campaign. Something like that happens at 3 AM on a Wednesday when you've been entering data for seven hours and it becomes a religious experience that you can bring back at any time with a word.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

njbeachbum posted:

Every time I see that episode I wonder that too. The 3rd so rarely comes up.

I'm at work and can't check the clip, but the only time I've ever seen the third amendment really used is as support for the right to privacy, since you can read the amendment as "my house, government get the gently caress out unless you're invited".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rums posted:

and frankly I didn't find the military shuttle particularly interesting or realistic.

You may be interested to know there was originally going to be a military shuttle. The USAF was going to get two of the shuttles for their own use and launch them at Vandenberg, but they decided not to at the last minute. Discovery was even delivered to Vandenberg but not launched before Challenger derailed the whole thing. This is why the shuttle was different than originally planned (larger, more complicated), the military had all kinds of requirements for their use.

And now they have their own little robotic shuttle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

And the secret ones you don't really know about.

Probably, though it is hard to hide things in orbit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Speaking of Flamingo, does anyone know what the point of Secret Service codenames is? I understand it in concept, but since the codenames are public knowledge that seems to defeat the purpose.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Like the one where Jordan and Josh Lyman are stuck on the roof and they don't have a cell phone signal. They are in Hollywood.

I used to get better cell reception in the middle of the Mojave Desert than I did in my hometown of a million people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I feel sad that I can't excuse myself to go to a special meeting... of the government, because nobody will get the joke.

I used that all the time when working on a campaign.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hobo Erotica posted:

It's nice when we can do something for prostitutes every once in a while.

My campaign was in Las Vegas so that got used too. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't even imagine how many city council and state senator campaigns are stealing lines and ideas The West Wing on a daily basis.

We never took any ideas (House, not state level) but the lines definitely flew around when appropriate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

People do that though. I knew a guy who hated Harry Reid, got a good job offer, and was blowing the guy at every opportunity less than a month after he had been going on tirades about how awful he was.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He'd been there for like five minutes at that point, I wouldn't be surprised if he had to go somewhere to find a computer or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Both times I've watched the show it's been in a giant bender and I couldn't really tell you what episodes are in which season. I think five is the Israel stuff?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I didn't understand Pierce the first time, then I had worked in politics before watching the show again. He reminded me of a lot of the douchebags that blow through the office. I don't know if that's what they were going for but it worked for me on the rewatch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Victory through incompetence was my experience of working in politics. I rewatched the show after I finished doing that and all of it felt so real.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

westyx posted:

One thing that sticks out for me is the number of times that people's vacations/nights/weekends are taken over by work. I wonder how realistic that is.

From my very brief time working in political campaigns, it is completely accurate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

20 Hours In American, Parts I & II, are some of the best two hours of television I've ever seen. Part II is practically a perfect episode.

That is all.

"If Donna weren't there they'd have to buy a house" is maybe my favorite line.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I wasn't rewatching along with the podcast but I need a dose of hopeful government right now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Have you seen Chinese opera? I have and would also rather kill myself than repeat the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah. I don't care for them either but it's not a comparable level of pain.

There is this show where I live where they cut the good bits out of all the Sichuan operas and do them on their own, like a highlights reel, so there's no screeching and it's just like two hours of fighting and spitting fire and stuff. That might be okay.

• Locked thread