Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!
I watched this show on DVD for the first time a few years ago and it was an all-around wonderful experience. Sometimes, especially in seasons 2-4, I would watch up to eight episodes in a single sitting. Just like Sports Night, it made the workplace it depicted look like, despite the high tensions and clashing egos, a place absolutely bursting with warm and brilliant people doing their best in a way that made you want to work there too. The only downsides of the Sorkin years were Mandy and the embarrassingly blatant "take THAT, George W Bush!" character of Robert Ritchie.

reality_groove posted:

Who is everyone's favourite bit character? I made a rough list of the main ones.

I always really, really liked Joey Lucas. Shame that she only appeared a couple times a season or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

Anyone who loves this show but has NOT seen the 1995 Sorkin-scripted movie The American President should definitely check it out. It has an incredibly similar flavor to it, and even a lot of the same actors (including Martin Sheen in what's basically the role of Leo).

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

This thread seems as good a place as any to mention that there's a new Aaron Sorkin show coming up on HBO next spring, More As This Story Develops: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1870479/

Technically at this point it's still just a pilot, but Sorkin just won an Oscar for best screenplay so I'm guessing there's a 99.99% chance it goes to series. The premise sounds a lot more like Sports Night than The West Wing, with its behind-the-scenes-of-a-news-show premise (and a relationship between Emily Mortimer and Alison Pill's characters that sounds identical to Dana and Natalie), but it's still definitely my most anticipated new show of 2012, even after the Studio 60 debacle.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not sure that I have a specific favorite episode, but the 5-episode stretch from 17 People (where they tell Toby about Bartlet's MS) to Two Cathedrals has gotta be one of my favorite TV story arcs of all time.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Just started Sports Night for the first time. Wow... that pilot is seriously confused. Is it a sit-com? Is it a precursor to West Wing? There's definitely some beautiful set ups and pay offs by Mr. Sorkin. I wonder if I can make it through the next 44 episodes.

It's easiest if you just think of it as a drama that happens to be 22 minutes, and ignore the laugh track until it goes away (which it eventually does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

Rums posted:

17 People stands as one of my favorite episodes of this series, but I have a pressing question. Since 17 People contains tons of spoilers for season 1 through the first episode of season 2, it doesn't make for a very good intro to the show for someone new. I want to get my friend to start watching what is my absolute favorite TV show, but I can't decide on an episode to direct him to to start off. Basically don't want anything that will spoil the revelation that Bartlet has MS so if anyone has a good recommendation that doesn't bring up that plot point, let me know. I also don't care which season it's from, as long as it stands as a good intro to the series.

What's wrong with the first episode?

• Locked thread