Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

bobkatt013 posted:

It was always on NBC

He said "The ABC", I think that might be a non-American ABC that is being referred to.

I got hooked on this once it was in syndication, I'm flipping though the channels, and there's Martin Sheen, railing at God, in unsubtitled Latin, no less. You've got to check it out if that's how you're introduced to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Alaemon posted:

You'll notice a LOT of overlap in storylines and episode names and occasionally even dialogue. I did Sports Night first and as I go through West Wing I'm continually amazed at the recycling. You'll see episodes that very clearly formed the template for "The Stackhouse Filibuster" and "Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail."

Also, the first half of the first season of SN is especially rocky because of the laugh track. It's clear that the network wanted it to be wacky work hijinks and Sorkin just wanted it to be... what it eventually becomes. The laugh track eventually gets turned down (and then vanishes entirely).

I'd argue it's still worth it, though. I say that as one of the least sporty people on the planet.

I think Sorkin now has established the tradition that for every series he does, the first season finale is going to be called "What Kind of Day Has it Been?" Kind of curious to see if he keeps it up with the new HBO series.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

myron_cope posted:

I am confused about what is happening in the Season 3 episode "Hartsfield's Landing". They're worried about voting in HL and that the Flendersons are going to vote for Ritchie. But isn't it the primary? So why would the Flendersons voting for a Republican matter to Democrats? And why would they be voting early for the primary anyway?

They kind of wrote themselves into a corner on that one, for that exact reason. There IS a town of like 30 in New Hampshire that communally votes at like 1 minute past midnight on election days. They never explained it well enough, but I'd assume that, while Ritchie getting more votes than Bartlet wouldn't cost him anything in terms of the primary, it would be a full day of news reports that Ritchie GOT more votes than Bartlet.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

This line from 17 People is easily one of the best line readings in the entire show.

That whole sequence in the Oval Office is probably my favorite in the series, though a close second is Leo at the end of the press conference in Two Cathedrals: "Watch this".

And that sequence, from 17 People right through to Two Cathedrals, is also the best illustration of how the series slipped as it went on. Two Cathedrals trusted the audience enough to throw an unsubtitled Latin rant at them, and it worked. By the time we get into Season Six, people can barely move from one room to the next without some sort of caption being put up. As a lot of people have mentioned, after about Season 4, when it worked, it really worked (The Supremes, and the Election Day two-parter in the last season), but when they miss, they really, REALLY miss (Access).

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Arnold Vinick is one of my favorite characters and Aaron Sorkin had nothing to do with him. Alan Alda also won an Emmy for it.

In all honesty Vinick winning the election would have been the better option if there was ever any discussion about a Season 8. The writers and producers have both confirmed and denied that the original plan was to have Vinick win, but that was scrapped when John Spencer died. If there was ever a plan to keep going, having a totally new administration would have been a good reboot, and you could still bring the original cast in for guest shots.

• Locked thread