Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The newest patch brings us a bug: Whenever you put away weapons, your character EXPLODES.

Well, they make an explosion sound whenever putting weapons away.

This has hilarious implications for griefing. EX: Walk into club caprice, repeatedly use lead tempest/sword cyclone/eye of the storm/brimstone and block to make a series of very loud explosion noises.

EDIT: You can literally skip the middleman by just taking the Heavy Weapons Guard power; it will play the sound whenever you block rapidly.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bluhman posted:

The newest patch brings us a bug: Whenever you put away weapons, your character EXPLODES.

This has hilarious implications for griefing. EX: Walk into club caprice, repeatedly use lead tempest/sword cyclone/eye of the storm/brimstone and block to make a series of very loud explosion noises.

That's it, I'm naming my next character Michael Bay to hang out in Club Caprice.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That's a feature, not a bug. :colbert:

And yeah, I'm not sure the weapon pack is really worth 380 cryptic fun bucks, although they are some fairly nice designs. The big rock axe does finally maybe make a powerset that fits the old premium rock costume set though. In any case, have some images.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Asimo posted:

That's a feature, not a bug. :colbert:

And yeah, I'm not sure the weapon pack is really worth 380 cryptic fun bucks, although they are some fairly nice designs. The big rock axe does finally maybe make a powerset that fits the old premium rock costume set though. In any case, have some images.

I just wish that instead of an axe they added a rock hammer or something, that'd look way cooler.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skin availability, by the way:

Medium only
Medium only
Medium only
Both

Heavy only
Medium only
Both
Both

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 13, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

I just wish that instead of an axe they added a rock hammer or something, that'd look way cooler.
I think they're focusing more on bladed or semi-bladed weapons for Heavy Weapons, for better or worse. The only "pure" mace is the single default one available. It makes a certain degree of sense as there's a few powers with animations around impaling or other swordish things, but so it goes. And it is a pretty nice axe, if it were 380 fun bucks I'd pick the set up for my troll noble HW alt.

Also since it isn't obvious from the screenshot, the first weapon in the second image is named a "mace" in game, and has four prongs in a cross-shape.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Until they add an electric guitar as a wieldable costume option for Heavy Weapons, I'm not buying any weapon set. :colbert:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jan posted:

Until they add an electric guitar as a wieldable costume option for Heavy Weapons, I'm not buying any weapon set. :colbert:
If only. :negative: Actually, I was kind of hoping there'd be more "gimmick" weapons in the pack. That's one of the few things City of Heroes has over ChampO in terms of customization at the moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gimmick weapons would probably be their own pack, if they ever do them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

It's not even a gimmick, it totally fits my RP Biography™!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Given the catering to the RP crew, I'm surprised the anime-style Gigantic Fuckoff Interdimensional Hammer wasn't in this.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

delfin posted:

Given the catering to the RP crew, I'm surprised the anime-style Gigantic Fuckoff Interdimensional Hammer wasn't in this.

Are you kidding furries don't need anime hammers!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The horse dildo sword missing though? Didn't expect that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've recently picked up this game, and was mostly playing around as a Silver with the Munitions archetype. Today, however, I decided I liked the game enough to at least give it a fair try, so I bought a month of Gold and set out to make a custom Archetype character. I'm trying to go for a combination of single sword and darkness. They probably don't really synergize well, but I like it for the character I'm making. My question is, what should I pick for my superstats and if there are any powers I should really avoid, from either set.

And, if the combination REALLY doesn't work at all, if you guys have any suggestions for something that would feel similar. Maybe one of the darker sorcery types could replace Darkness. Single Blade has to stay though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everything works well enough in the game. You might need to respec to do Elite stuff or PvP, but you can hit 40 and group fine with any build.

I would recommend Darkness be your focus and you take some sword skills, though. The other way around probably won't work as well. Single Blade is luckily the MA tree that relies least on crit stats, so you can still use it with Darkness friendly superstats.

Con/End are usually what Darkness builds go for, but you can use Int or Rec just fine too. End is good to keep because a big Energy pool, while normally an annoyance for any other build, is good with Dark Transfusion. If you do swap something out I'd swap out Con, not End.

Also keep in mind that unless you're really set on a specific sword model or something, Heavy Weapons are wielded in one hand for animation reasons. I think Single Blade probably works better, but it's an option.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hmm, thanks. I'll have to figure out a happy medium between being effective and following my idea. Thanks for the help, in any case.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
The big thing that'll intrude on your effectiveness pairing those two specific sets is a general lack of synergy. Darkness doesn't rely on setting anything up, whereas Single Blade relies heavily on applying and then rupturing bleeds.
Also, rupture damage can crit now - it's not AS crit reliant, but crits REALLY help Single Blade.

What I would recommend in terms of specific powers is grabbing Void Shift and Scything Blade + Swallow-Tail Cut, and maybe Dragon's Bite and uh... I guess the bleed form, even though your incoming focus stacks will be minimal regardless. Maybe go with Lightning Reflexes and the Unarmed form.
This way you can use Darkness attacks principally as your damage-dealers, and be able to effectively blink in and drop in some juicy bleeds that you can then refresh (and give yourself a nice chunk of endurance for refreshing, because it's a Dragon attack).
You'll still end up doing most of your damage with Shadow Embrace or Ebon Ruin, but it'll encourage a mobile and flexible playstyle I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

doomfunk posted:

The big thing that'll intrude on your effectiveness pairing those two specific sets is a general lack of synergy. Darkness doesn't rely on setting anything up, whereas Single Blade relies heavily on applying and then rupturing bleeds.
Also, rupture damage can crit now - it's not AS crit reliant, but crits REALLY help Single Blade.

Well, my thinking was that he wouldn't be Rupturing.

Honestly if it was me I'd just take Scything to put Swallowtail on, and Dragon's Bite to pop Rush. That's all you'd need from the set.

I wouldn't recommend any passive but Shadow Form for soloing, though. Darkness attacks are already relatively weak.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Ebon Ruin isn't, especially with Nyctophobia, but I see what you mean. The thing is without a high dodge chance his Rush will be pretty pitiful considering his triggers for the other three forms will be infrequent at best.

If you go with Shadow Form, go with the single blade form and just be sure to apply and refresh your bleeds whenever possible between Shadow Embrace and Ebon Ruin.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bluhman posted:

Is that what that is? I've been hearing explosions all day and kept looking around to see where it was coming from. I wasn't getting that it was tied to weapons, because in my case it was playing when my character lowers her fists.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
My main runs darkness / fighting claws with LR and the dodge toggle. He seems to kick plenty of rear end.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Asimo posted:

For example, I've been half-considering doing a semi-joke "anime martial artist" Force/Might hybrid. :shepface: Haven't gotten it sorted out yet, but force bolts and force cascade later in, roomsweeper/havoc stomp and haymaker and mighty leap... probably Defiance on top of it and random active offenses/defenses and things like IDF to improve survivability. It'd lack a good toggle, but it'd keep Enrage up, be decent at both ranged and melee without too much overlap, and be perfectly serviceable for just about every content you'd throw at it. You can do a surprising amount in a Freeform build with even a little attention to it. Only thing throwing me off is the super stats. (Str/Con? Str/Int? Hmm.)

Hmm. I'd buy it, IF you can recolour Force properly(it's been a while since I've used Force, and I forget if it could be). Look is everything, after all.

Celestial has a blowback centred on you that has a perfect animation. If it's the same one as Eruption, go with that, otherwise, consider it.

Hmm. Phoenix Flight instantly makes me think Souther, but how to pull it off? Teleport's a obvious movement for him. Bestial is a little too feral, but his fighting style is all slashing and bleeding-I may not have a choice. Wish they were a single line rather than all jagged(Nitpick, nitpick...) Aura of Majesty can fit, as can Regen and certainly Resurgence(What else can we call hiom closing hism wounds by sheer will?). Bountiful Chi would work too for that too. If you wanted to get closer to his other appearnces in the games and such, you can approximate his launcher though Inexorable Tides.

Eh, it's all guesswork.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 14, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Captain Thalidomide has hit L40 as a Freeform Glacier, essentially. I'm thinking of retooling him as a more focused tank, capable of going toe-to-toe with Blood Moon undead hero types and pulling some aggro. This is what I have so far. (Keep in mind this'd be a Full Retcon build, not a leveling build, though I structured it that way anyway to some degree.)

Superstats:
Level 6: Super Constitution
Level 13: Super Presence

Powers:
Level 1: Ice Shards
Level 1: Ice Blast -- Hard Frost, Crippling Challenge
Level 6: Frost Breath -- Frost Bite
Level 6: Swinging
Level 8: Snow Storm -- Eye Of The Storm, Rank 2
Level 11: Invulnerability -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 14: Ice Shield -- Frigid Air
Level 17: Avalanche -- Rank 2, Challenging Strikes, Rank 3
Level 20: Conviction -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 23: Resurgence
Level 26: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 29: Defile -- Rank 2, Plague Bearer
Level 32: Imbue -- Rank 2
Level 35: Ice Sheath
Level 35: Ice Slide
Level 38: Bionic Shielding -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Talents: focusing on CON, PRE, END, REC

My thinking:

Between Frost Breath w/adv, Ice Shield w/adv and Snow Storm, chilling enemies reliably should be pretty easy. This allows Ice Blast tap spam to hit for decent chip damage against single targets. With Crippling Challenge, that also builds a decent amount of threat.

Invulnerability - IDF chops henchman damage down to negligible levels, meaning that blocking is a fast energy builder. This also works well with Snow Storm w/adv; turtling up sends energy soaring while enemies kill themselves. Quick full bars allows for a lot of Avalanche, which builds threat and also does good AoE damage.

Ice doesn't really have a good single-target big zap, so I worked in Defile and colored it blue. It's energy-expensive, especially when charged fully to enable Plague Bearer, but blocking builds that quickly and Imbue jacks up damage even more. (Imbue also works strangely with the Ice maintains. It affects only the third hit on Avalanche, but affects EVERY hit in Snow Storm, including the 'enemies take damage when attacking you' pulses from the advantage.)

Ice Sheath is there as a hold-buster and to boost damage at intervals.

Finally, the heals. Resurgence is there mostly because, well, Super CON. Long recharge, but Imbue + Resurgence can heal a lot of health in a hurry. Conviction is more for rapid band-aids. Bionic Shielding can be swapped out, but I put it there because it scales with PRE like the others, it has a fairly short recharge, and I can use it on others if needed. Unbreakable was another thought for that last slot.

Am I on the right track?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Look into Palliate for a heal. r3 has +41% health return and temporarily increases presence (which means more threat).

Also, look at Circle of Primal Dominion. It's a nice tank aid.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
After finally kicking my WoW addiction, I've rediscovered how fun CO can be :science:
This of course means I must show off some of my characters.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Prygelknabbe posted:

But can he move his ENTIRE HIDEOUT... by an inch?

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
You know mom's not gonna tolerate those kinds of shenanigans :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I did a thing. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

Of course he has an Energon Axe.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Amazing absolutely amazing.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

What the hell powerset did you give him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

What the hell powerset did you give him?

Heavy Weapon EB for the axe.

Power Gauntlet to have a PA power so I can choose Laser Sword.

It's not like I'm going to play him or anything, I just did it to swing energon weapons.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I bet you could make a viable build.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably. All you would need is the axe, Assault Rifle with an alien tech-ey skin, and Might powers.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

What do I do with all this crap?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Felony posted:

What do I do with all this crap?

save it for crafting other crap down the road. Looks mostly like arms crafting materials.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
Being stricken with the curse of alt-itis, I've been dicking around with my Sentry ripoff. Most of my characters are knockoffs of Marvel/DC guys. I initially felt bad for being rather unoriginal, but after seeing three identical Hulks, a near-perfect Flash and even Galactus all in one night, I no longer care. :v:

Here he is, hoisting a forklift like it ain't no thang.

And using his eye beam powers on some fool.

I particularly like this one for the look on the bad guy's face.

And he even has a moment to make time with the ladies. :smug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

Being stricken with the curse of alt-itis, I've been dicking around with my Sentry ripoff. Most of my characters are knockoffs of Marvel/DC guys. I initially felt bad for being rather unoriginal, but after seeing three identical Hulks, a near-perfect Flash and even Galactus all in one night, I no longer care. :v:
In fairness, Sentry is a fairly transparent ripoff of homage to Superman, so it's not like you're the first there. :v:

Grandpa Pap posted:

And using his eye beam powers on some fool.

I also wish eye beams didn't suffer the Power Armor Toggle Curse, since they're a pretty awesome and (I believe) unique SFX, in being the only powers that emanate from the eyes. It's arguably worse than the other power armor toggles too, since they're intentionally middling damage and no-cost in order to be stacked atop the other toggles, but that means they're pointless to use alone. :argh:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Asimo posted:

I also wish eye beams didn't suffer the Power Armor Toggle Curse, since they're a pretty awesome and (I believe) unique SFX, in being the only powers that emanate from the eyes. It's arguably worse than the other power armor toggles too, since they're intentionally middling damage and no-cost in order to be stacked atop the other toggles, but that means they're pointless to use alone. :argh:

You can make various energy builders and tier 0 blasts emanate from the eyes. It's no laser beam, though.

After attempting to create a build centered around critical-hit eye-beams, I can safely say it's one of the most useless powers I've ever used. I mean, alone, my energy bulder does more damage than it.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Asimo posted:

In fairness, Sentry is a fairly transparent ripoff of homage to Superman, so it's not like you're the first there. :v:

Not only are they garbage in terms of damage, you can't even really stack them with the other toggles because they TAKE UP THE SHOULDER SLOT, so you can't activate them if you're using mini gun or the shoulder launcher. This is the stupidest poo poo, especially when you consider none of these powers have overlapping animations.

The toggle system is just so hilariously slapped together; you only have 3 slots, Hands/Chest/Shoulder, and you can only activate one power at a time from each of those. For the hand slot you have, what was it, Power Gauntlet, and the energy builder if you get the advantage (which is garbage because, as a toggle, it loving disables all your other powers while you're using it, so you have to stop maintaining it if you want to use any other attacks.) There's also that other one where you shoot lasers out of your hands and it kind of shoves things? Iunno.

For the chest slot you have micro munitions and chest beam. Despite using two different slots, you cannot use chest beam with any of the hand slot powers, as chest beam is a charge power. So for hand/chest "synergy" you either have to use power gauntlet and micro munitions or laser hands with micro munitions. Since the energy builder advantage is loving terrible and Power Gauntlet is hugely outclassed by Chest Beam, there is no situation in which you'll be using a hand slot. The laser hands are also dumb why would anyone even use them just use Chest Beam it is the only good attack.

Mini Gun, Shoulder Launcher, and Eye Beams all take up the same slot. Shoulder Launcher is a pretty good opener and just generally does a good chunk of damage, and mini gun applies a nice debuff with the advantage. Eye beams is the worst power in the entire game and should never be used. Mini Gun is probably the only power that properly "synergizes" with the others, as it's genuinely useful while using either Micro Munitions or Chest Beam. Shoulder Launcher works with Micro Munitions, but it doesn't really synergize aside from the fact that they can be used at the same time. You really can't use it with Chest Beam as both take up too much energy.

The few combinations that work work pretty well, but the entire system is just really, really stupid.

EDIT: The only true advantage of being able to activate the powers at the same time is near the beginning of the game when you can use a power replace without totally maiming your stats; the power replace will proc all the goddamn time, meaning you'll pretty much kill everything within about 2 seconds. It's also amazing for lowbie PvP, as power replace damage goes straight through blocks and I believe even Defensive Passives.

Crocoswine fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Asimo posted:

Oh yeah, I remember reading how they were even going to have his costume be red and blue up until a last-minute decision came down from above, so I definitely had no regrets. :v:

quote:

Yeah, as part of my character's build (basically Might), they work nice as a sort of "ha ha, got ya" to the villains before the beatdown commences, but otherwise it's pretty much just a case of using it because Superman Sentry did.

I will add that it's a strong testimonial to this game, though, that you can pretty much think of just about any comics hero in existence and create someone that just about duplicates them (in powers, if not also in costume) completely. I know it's been said many times before but I've wasted hours just playing around in the character creator recently. Thanks, CO, for helping me rediscover my inner comics nerd. :v: