Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Brave New World posted:

:downs: So there's a Questionite store. Where's that at? :downs:

It'll probably be forever until I feel a need to reinstall this game so I'm working off of vague memory and a screenshot from the internet, but I'm pretty sure it was from this button by your minimap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
So I've been playing around with my gear a lot this evening, and I have a question. I pulled some old IV mods off for like 1G + change, but later went to pull a couple of V & VI mods off, and it wants to charge me 6400 Q! Is that really the cost to pull anything V and up off? That's like 15 Zen! :kingsley:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Brave New World posted:

So I've been playing around with my gear a lot this evening, and I have a question. I pulled some old IV mods off for like 1G + change, but later went to pull a couple of V & VI mods off, and it wants to charge me 6400 Q! Is that really the cost to pull anything V and up off? That's like 15 Zen! :kingsley:

I just checked on the cost to pull off a V mod and it's only giving me the cost option of 640 Q.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
V mod = 640
VI mod = 6400

I think I'm going to wait a bit before I slot a VII. I've heard that rank IX mods exist, but I've never seen one, let alone an VIII.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Remember you can easily get Questionite by doing daily Alert missions from the Alert Coordinator in Renaissance Center (smashes, grabs, bursts.) Each one nets you 2000 questionite upon doing 3 alerts, so getting enough Q to unslot a mod shouldn't be that big a deal/doesn't require you to pay cryptic money.

There's a ton of stuff ingame that just kind of gives questionite away as well aside from that, like doing rampage alerts, doing adventure packs, taking part in cosmic fights....

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I run whatever Lt Patil offers in the way of Alerts! and Specials(Hi-Pan, StE, etc) daily on 2-3 toons. I'm just pissed that they demand questionite instead of globals. :)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bluhman posted:

Remember you can easily get Questionite by doing daily Alert missions from the Alert Coordinator in Renaissance Center (smashes, grabs, bursts.) Each one nets you 2000 questionite upon doing 3 alerts, so getting enough Q to unslot a mod shouldn't be that big a deal/doesn't require you to pay cryptic money.

There's a ton of stuff ingame that just kind of gives questionite away as well aside from that, like doing rampage alerts, doing adventure packs, taking part in cosmic fights....

I've never done any of the alerts. Are they something soloable or something I have to group for?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've never done any of the alerts. Are they something soloable or something I have to group for?

it queues you up for them and will throw a group together automatically. very easy to do

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Alerts! are pretty much the centerpiece of the game. They almost always pop extremely quickly, and there's a rotating variety of them. They're either super quick little fights(Smash!), or short dungeons(a bank and a museum). Depending on the time of day, you can be done with CO's dailies in just 20-30 minutes.

sitcom bathysphere
Jun 7, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

this can be done to silver slots containing ATs as well with the same token

Whoah, Kushiel is a goon/goonette?!

sitcom bathysphere
Jun 7, 2017
Also, to anyone still playing in this derelict funhouse: I got to 40 recently (relatively speaking) and I’m having a hard time tanking alerts, unless DPS just blow it out of the water. I’ve filled up on defensive actives/passives/talents but still seem to die *very* quickly if I let up on block. Is that just the game or am I no good? Any thoughts on what are decent Defensive/Constitution/HP numbers to tank effectively?

sitcom bathysphere fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 18, 2018

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
We'll need to see your build to give you any good advice.

Alerts are also heavily dependent on the levels/skill of the people you got matched with. You can usually tell on the first pull whether you got a bunch of lowbies or not. I really wish they were restricted to 20+, because fresh 10s can be the difference between a quick, fun run and a complete shitshow.

sitcom bathysphere
Jun 7, 2017

Brave New World posted:

We'll need to see your build to give you any good advice.

Alerts are also heavily dependent on the levels/skill of the people you got matched with. You can usually tell on the first pull whether you got a bunch of lowbies or not. I really wish they were restricted to 20+, because fresh 10s can be the difference between a quick, fun run and a complete shitshow.

I’ll post my build when I can, but basically I followed Bluhm’s general rules and picked up cons/dex talents/perks. I guess I’m more curious if there is just a gear check for tanking; if so then maybe the reason isn’t my build

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
For anyone that that still gives a poo poo:
Questionite Week & 25% off everything in the C Store!
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11015833

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was going through old videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l8dfqFv1s

Thank you, Songbearer.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Inzombiac posted:

I was going through old videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l8dfqFv1s

Thank you, Songbearer.

If nothing else, CO was a treasure for producing this alone.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Couldn't have done it without you guys. It's still my favourite bit of content I've made and gets plenty of visits even today :unsmith:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Songbearer posted:

Couldn't have done it without you guys. It's still my favourite bit of content I've made and gets plenty of visits even today :unsmith:

I still show it to people every so often and I still remember which one was me. Thanks again for making it!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
God that was fun to do. (Buttercup!)
Remember it getting on japanese Kotaku?

(Still working on my mmo over there.)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if you haven't heard, City of Heroes is back, go over here to figure it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767383

EDIT: I should be clear, in case someone gets their hopes up: there's no server at the moment. there was before, and there may be again soon.

EDIT EDIT: status keeps changing. just go to the CoH thread

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 24, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I just started playing this a few days ago. I'm playing a level 9 Grimoire/Hybrid character, and I think after a bit I figured out a good rhythm for most fights. With one exception.

Talos Takedown is a solo quest, right? They're not telling me I need to team up. And I think I've actually faced at-level Master Villains before. But Talos- I can't get him down past one bar. I try to block his big attacks and that sometimes works but even his regular stuff just dials me down faster than I can heal. Is there something I'm not getting or should I just grind on past and take him down at level 14 or whatever?

Overall I'm surprised the early levelling is this slow, every other MMO kinda rockets you past the single digits.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

So I just started playing this a few days ago. I'm playing a level 9 Grimoire/Hybrid character, and I think after a bit I figured out a good rhythm for most fights. With one exception.

Talos Takedown is a solo quest, right? They're not telling me I need to team up. And I think I've actually faced at-level Master Villains before. But Talos- I can't get him down past one bar. I try to block his big attacks and that sometimes works but even his regular stuff just dials me down faster than I can heal. Is there something I'm not getting or should I just grind on past and take him down at level 14 or whatever?

Overall I'm surprised the early levelling is this slow, every other MMO kinda rockets you past the single digits.

That guy is pretty tough. The good news is that you only need to take him down to(I think) 33% health before he surrenders to you. So concentrate more on burst damage than anything else if you can. Make sure to have a healing device on hand, etc.

You could also grind to 10, and start running Alerts for a level or two if you feel it's necessary.

The game only goes up to level 40, so enjoy the slower pace while you can.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've run some builds where Talos just stops them early. I feel like a Grimoire Hybrid might be one of them. If you're still having trouble, pass me your username and I'll hop on and help you over the hump.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Talos gives up when he reaches 50% HP, regardless of the build/damage output/etc you're using on him.

The big thing to watch out for from him is his thunderbolt charged attack, that is by far his most damaging strike. Block that. He also has a different charged attack where he just places Negative Ions on you which doesn't really do any damage/boost anything AFAIK.

I've had some close-calls against him but for the most part he's pretty easy in my experience.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hello friends, i have not played this game for many years and i am wondering if my account would still be around now?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

my guess is "yes" but how many years are we talking?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Swear to God I cannot finish a single quest chain. Every time, there's one fight that's just beyond my capabilities and I've no way to power through even with consumables and a summonable ally. In Demonflame it's the Left Hand, in Whiteout it's that one Master Villain that splits in three (and all of them have the trip power), in Resistance it's when you have to wait for someone to free Psimon and hold off multiple enemies. (This one's particularly annoying since I know when I go back I'll have to do multiple cell blocks all over again.)

I guess I just don't understand why I die so fast. Is the Grimoire just kinda weak by nature? Do I need to find a better healing power than the Pillar?

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 8, 2019

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Swear to God I cannot finish a single quest chain. Every time, there's one fight that's just beyond my capabilities and I've no way to power through even with consumables and a summonable ally. In Demonflame it's the Left Hand, in Whiteout it's that one Master Villain that splits in three (and all of them have the trip power), in Resistance it's when you have to wait for someone to free Psimon and hold off multiple enemies. (This one's particularly annoying since I know when I go back I'll have to do multiple cell blocks all over again.)

I guess I just don't understand why I die so fast. Is the Grimoire just kinda weak by nature? Do I need to find a better healing power than the Pillar?

I hate to say it, but a relatively weaker support AT like Grimoire would not be my first choice to ever run any of the Adventure Packs on. All of those end bosses are really tough, especially the first time playing them. I've only ever done that content on either of my two level 40 Freeform characters wearing Justice gear.

A more durable/higher DPS AT may handle them better.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Brave New World posted:

I hate to say it, but a relatively weaker support AT like Grimoire would not be my first choice to ever run any of the Adventure Packs on. All of those end bosses are really tough, especially the first time playing them. I've only ever done that content on either of my two level 40 Freeform characters wearing Justice gear.

A more durable/higher DPS AT may handle them better.

One of my first characters was a Grimoire and I wasn't too happy with how she played out. I don't know if I wasn't speccing her right or what, but it seemed like she should've been really versatile but just didn't have enough oomph when it came down to it. I'm still somewhat slogging through the Serpent Lantern adventure pack with my lvl 40 Soldier. She's had better survivability, but then I hit this weird thing with the bosses where when the fight starts, they have so little life bar I could one shoot them, but any damage I do fills thier life bar until it hits full then it drops like normal so I'm essentially doing a back to back fight which I'm finding hard to solo even with packing plenty of buff/healing extras.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think this game is just mechanically janky. It's a shame, I like the lore and the presentation of the quests but when I run into these walls it's hard to even know why I'm failing. Things go from "fairly straightforward" to "mathematically impossible" in an instant. And I'm starting to think that an enemy's level is not actually a solid indicator of how powerful they are, even taking into account the henchman/villain/etc. tiers.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

being locked out of the freeform system means you can't do any of the things we've traditionally done to trivialize content, which means you get to notice that the game isn't balanced too well

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I never really liked this game, tbh, but I really did give it a chance; last time I played it I hit 40 and did all the content and had maxed out my gear in like a week.

But I'm an idiot who makes bad decisions and bought a freeform character slot earlier today because I want to see what the game is like while using one of its most touted features.

I assume there's still not much end game per se; last time I played it was running daily missions for tokens. I guess there's a new end game lair? Do people actually run it? Last time I played the game getting people to run lairs was like pulling teeth and everyone seemed to hate doing them, but I did manage to get enough people to join me and I did in fact run every single lair in the game (and they were actually pretty cool, especially Therakiel's Temple!)

I also assume you no longer get a free Free-form character slot when you hit 40 on a Free-form character, since there's no subscription now.

Anywho if anyone would like to join me in my misadventures in Millennium City and the surrounding environs, I am @RatBot. I'm doing mostly ice and supernatural powers.

I suspect I won't be playing too long but I wanna get my 30 bux out of it :P

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FrostyPox posted:

So I never really liked this game, tbh, but I really did give it a chance; last time I played it I hit 40 and did all the content and had maxed out my gear in like a week.

But I'm an idiot who makes bad decisions and bought a freeform character slot earlier today because I want to see what the game is like while using one of its most touted features.

I assume there's still not much end game per se; last time I played it was running daily missions for tokens. I guess there's a new end game lair? Do people actually run it? Last time I played the game getting people to run lairs was like pulling teeth and everyone seemed to hate doing them, but I did manage to get enough people to join me and I did in fact run every single lair in the game (and they were actually pretty cool, especially Therakiel's Temple!)

I also assume you no longer get a free Free-form character slot when you hit 40 on a Free-form character, since there's no subscription now.

Anywho if anyone would like to join me in my misadventures in Millennium City and the surrounding environs, I am @RatBot. I'm doing mostly ice and supernatural powers.

I suspect I won't be playing too long but I wanna get my 30 bux out of it :P

what's the new lair called? I bet andrithal is still broken

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Telios Ascendant or something like that.

It's probably not actually all that new, I just hadn't heard of it before I looked at the Champions site the other day.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

huh, I guess they really did make a new dungeon. horse is well out of this barn, tho

so what are you gonna make in freeform

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm doing mostly Ice and Supernatural powers cuz that's thematic for my dude. My Primary superstat is Ego and Secondary is Endurance because I want to blow poo poo up real good. It does make me real squishy, though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the game is still a shambling corpse, but it's now a decade old shambling corpse apparently. Same anniversary stuff as ever, but there's a free box o' stuff if you want to log in and grab it I guess.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The Costume and Character Slot texts are flipped.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's probably one guy still working on this game, give him a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm sorry. I didn't really mean anything by it. :(