Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bought Urban just for the boots with straps. Then I didn't end up even playing that character until after the sale started.

I also bought Fantasy just for the rapier, but then it turned out it has the very useful finger hook gloves. The weapon pack ins are going to be dangerous. Soon you'll have to buy a whole set you don't want just to get some cool gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catsuit judo
Jun 4, 2010

Jan posted:

Formal hair flower. :argh:

I'm not ashamed to say this was my only reason for wanting to grab this at first. Then I realized there's a ton more poo poo in it I could use and I finally bought it yesterday and used 3-4 pieces alone in an outfit.

I also bought the unlock two costume slots per character on your account FOREVER!! option and don't regret it. I didn't recognize my stupid addiction to the character creator until I realized I had been logged in for a few hours and hadn't even loving moved away from the tailor yet.

And I agree, Urban rocks, and I want to pick it up just for the sneakers. Everything else looks boss too. Oh God, I'm the sucker microtransactions feed on.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Aphrodite posted:

Resistance is still run a lot, though. Might be a nice grab to do some grouping with other goons.

Resistance can also be used for powerleveling if you don't enjoy the mission grind.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

doomfunk posted:

Since you don't play much, bag slots might be a good idea so you don't have to spend time trekking back and forth to empty your inventory.

As far as the adventures go, they're nice but hardly necessary (unless you want to farm SL elite blues at 40, that is).

A bag slot seems reasonable -- I'm still in Westside, so travel hasn't been a problem yet. You still have to return to RenCen when you level up to buy new powers/talents/advantages, right?

As for adventures, I was looking at them for extra content and level-independent stuff to do for when a mission arc becomes too hard for an archetype. Resistance sounds cool, but I could always hold out for the next sale if they don't add much.

Speaking of archetype woes, would a transformation with ranged powers be useful for my melee-only behemoth?

Thanks for the advice!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

Resistance can also be used for powerleveling if you don't enjoy the mission grind.

Does it give alot more xp or something? Vi Ora and lemura suck and I'm at 39.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

catsuit judo posted:

I didn't recognize my stupid addiction to the character creator until I realized I had been logged in for a few hours and hadn't even loving moved away from the tailor yet.
People who do not do this are crazy. I have literally spent hours in the tailor only to come out with one incredibly minor change.

THAT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL I'M NOT THE CRAZY ONE.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Hyperactive posted:

People who do not do this are crazy. I have literally spent hours in the tailor only to come out with one incredibly minor change.

You can also replace 'tailor' with 'Powerhouse/Battle Station' and you've got my CO experience right there.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

ColHannibal posted:

Does it give alot more xp or something? Vi Ora and lemura suck and I'm at 39.

do all of resistance up to the second to last part where you have to drive a Mega Destroid (do all this on normal difficulty the first time). When you drive the MD, you have to destroy 6 dimensional anchors and fight 1 shadow colossus after each one.

What you do is, destroy all the anchors but the last one. Each colossus you kill nets ridiculous xp. Destroy an anchor, kill a colossus, rinse and repeat. DO NOT DESTROY THE LAST ANCHOR. When you get to the last one, log out for 5 minutes (no less than 5). When you log back in after 5 minutes, your toon will be outside of the Harmon Building. Change the difficulty to Elite (for more xp) and re-enter. It'll spawn you at the start of the Mega Destroid stage.

Repeat the Mega Destroid driving stage repeatedly like this. I think at lvl 32 on Elite, each colossus was netting me 45k xp. Multiply that by the 5 you need to fight. Each run takes about 20 minutes. That's 225k xp in 20 minutes. Take 5, repeat it again. That's over 500k xp in an hour in the 30+ level range.

HAVE FUN! :D

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Destroying the last anchor won't really do anything; it'll activate the cutscene and the boss fight, but if you log out there you'll just come back to Destroid part again, no biggy.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
I think the transform devices can be an interesting way to swap around your powers without having to change/level characters or do retconning.
They could also be useful for if you wanna level a support character and lack the damage to level/farm effectively. Or just level a character while leaving their powers blank, thus having a blank slate once you hit the cap, if you'd want that for whatever reason.

Hyperactive posted:

The game is a dress-up simulator after all, everything else is just fluff :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Time to show off some costumes. I don't actually play these, but I made em for fun one day. It's all TMNT stuff.

An attempt at a comic-style TMNT. I should try this one again now that I have some more stuff, but using the Toad head really limits your options obviously so I doubt it'd help much still. Hard to find any mask that looks even remotely appropriate so I went with the scarf.

Tokka and Rahzar. The bird head makes for a half decent snapping turtle. I think I used the closed bug wings for a shell on him. I'm kind of surprised there isn't actual turtle stuff in the game given how many other animal parts there are.

The easiest one, Tora from the NES version of the arcade game. His head should be more like a polar bear, but a lot of people think he's a wolf anyway so it works.
Other than the head he's probably the most accurate-to-source one here.

Also, this thing looks a hell of a lot like a transport module. It's in Juryrig's garage.

kalisperas
Feb 5, 2005
So, maybe I'm doing something seriously wrong, but my wife and I are having a hell of a time actually playing this game together. After doing the tutorial section separately (not knowing you could change instances), we got into the city and after a bit managed to figure out how to get into the same instance. But as we started doing quests, we kept ending up in different instances, even after checking "Always let me pick my instance" (neither of us was ever asked to choose an instance at any point).

Is there some reason the game seems to be actively conspiring to keep us from playing together, or are we doing something wrong?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That's... weird. If you're in a group, you should (in theory) always zone to the same instance, even city zones, although you may need to manually swap the first time you group. You were teamed up and not just talking to each other in real life, yeah? Since all the quest instances are group-specific, and solo characters count as their own "group". I imagine this isn't the problem, but gotta ask. Hmm.

vvvv Oh, Cryptic. :allears:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 26, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Groups being split up exiting an instance is a bug that popped up recently, and will probably be fixed in this week's patch. Barring last minute delays, patch day is Wednesday.

kalisperas
Feb 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Groups being split up exiting an instance is a bug that popped up recently, and will probably be fixed in this week's patch. Barring last minute delays, patch day is Wednesday.

Ah, ok. Yeah, we were grouped, which is why it seemed really strange that we kept ending up in different instances.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that bug is a pain in the rear end. Before that came up, it was pretty smart about keeping you on the same instances. It also seems like the instance it says your friends are on are lies during the reign of this bug as well.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So with the tk arc launching tomorrow I assume the changes will as well?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

So with the tk arc launching tomorrow I assume the changes will as well?

The date ranges always start on Tuesday, but they never actually go out then. Wednesday more likely.

And yes, the changes always go live with the archetype.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The date ranges always start on Tuesday, but they never actually go out then. Wednesday more likely.

And yes, the changes always go live with the archetype.

Magneto here income.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know why I do these things.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Because finally, a game where you can.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
I'm not going to lie, I literally downloaded this yesterday because someone in the MSPA thread made Mindfang and I was like oh gos costumes...so I also did a thing. (I know removing an arm is kind of impossible but no eye scars?)

Besides blatant sillyness I actually have come to like the game so far. At the moment blade seems alot more fun than the Grimoire I also made did. Although I must admit the purple gang seems...well a pretty big step in difficulty from the bugs.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Difficulty curve is...odd. Once you've got proper defensive abilities, you can be nigh untouchable. The difficulty is getting to that point, especially as it's easy to get mobbed. So the first levels can easily be the most frustrating.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Difficulty curve is...odd. Once you've got proper defensive abilities, you can be nigh untouchable. The difficulty is getting to that point, especially as it's easy to get mobbed. So the first levels can easily be the most frustrating.
The game's a little harder if you're in an Archetype, since you can't make properly twinky builds, but even there it varies quite a bit from Archetype to Archetype. Grimoire's more "support" while Blade's just up and up damage, so it'll be easier to level with yeah. Overall though... the difficulty's aimed fairly low, just because of how great a variation there is in potential character abilities. The only really hard stuff is generally endgame, doing certain Lairs or soloing adventure packs on Elite difficulty or things like that. Things even out a lot in teams, and the fact that (especially with freeform characters) PCs can generally be self-sufficient makes for some surprisingly fun teaming, even if the game doesn't go out of its way to encourage it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Doing Teleios Tower, Stronghold, or the Destroid Factory at the levels you acquire the missions for them can also be pretty hard, especially if your group doesn't have a good tank (common) or if you're trying to keep Foxbat alive (good luck).

e: oh you said Lairs. well... :negative:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If I had to rate the free archetypes from easiest to hardest, I'd go something like:

1) The Glacier. A strong defense-oriented character, gets Invulnerability (a great defensive passive) very early and builds from there. Can do good damage with the right power advantages, and builds energy very easily.

2) The Behemoth. The prototypical brick: smacks enemies and sends them flying. Defiance is another solid defensive passive, Roomsweeper is lots of fun to abuse, and the powerset more than makes up for being in a defensive role.

3) The Blade. Possibly the best of the glass cannon archetypes. Scything Blade w/advantage is a great spammable attack early, your dodge is high enough to go toe-to-toe with heavier villains, and the meatier attacks later in the build let you churn out lots of damage.

4a) The Inferno. Has all the tools (Conflagration, Thermal Reverberation, Flashfire, Fireball, Fiery Form) for quality pyromania but gets some of them surprisingly late in the build. Either drops enemies quickly or runs for the hills to recharge.

4b) The Soldier. A two-trick pony (Assault Rifle and Shotgun Blast) 'til very late in the build... but they're both good tricks. Fragile, though.

6) The Grimoire. A support build in a game where most won't team much. AoPM boosts all your stats nicely, you get a self-heal, and Skarn's Bane is a quality maintain zap. Eldritch Shield is a good block power. Still, you'll have to be careful with how much you aggro at once, because it won't be hard to be overwhelmed.

7) The Marksman. A good idea (excellent passive in Quarry, snare maintain, solid knockdown opener, AoE stunner) hampered by the fact that Archery kinda blows in this game.

8) The Mind. You get your first non-starter attack power that's worth a drat at level 32. Enough said.

doomfunk posted:

Doing Teleios Tower, Stronghold, or the Destroid Factory at the levels you acquire the missions for them can also be pretty hard, especially if your group doesn't have a good tank (common) or if you're trying to keep Foxbat alive (good luck).

Stronghold really isn't all that bad, it's just lengthy. The two sticking points are not aggroing everything at once in the recover-the-keycards stage and Kodiak near the end, as he hits like a truck.

The "Recommended: 2," "Recommended: 3" and "Recommended: 1-5" missions are generally not that hard to solo, depending on your setup (like, if you're a support build, bring a friend to fight Ape-X and the Overbrain). The ones that say "Recommended: 5," on the other hand, really mean it.

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 26, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

doomfunk posted:

e: oh you said Lairs. well... :negative:

You think those are hard? You try finding anyone to run Mandragalore with. :colbert:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I've done Mandragalore! I was speaking strictly of pre-40 content.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Aphrodite posted:

I bought Urban just for the boots with straps. Then I didn't end up even playing that character until after the sale started.

I also bought Fantasy just for the rapier, but then it turned out it has the very useful finger hook gloves. The weapon pack ins are going to be dangerous. Soon you'll have to buy a whole set you don't want just to get some cool gun.

I bought Fantasy solely because the cape fit in perfectly for my grimoire shaman-type character, so hey :shobon:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
New Stronghold can be soloed now :smith:

Telios Tower isn't that bad these days. I suppose it depends on what the make up of your team is. Also, careful pulling helps a ton.

gently caress Destroyer's Factory, though. To this day, even with stacked teams, that map finds some way to gently caress you over. It's pretty much just spawn, fight, die. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stronghold has always been a solo instance. It's not a lair.

Edit: Also the August release calender is up.

First week is Hideouts phase 3 (Hi-Tech Basement and 60's Retro Moonbase), and the 700 Day Vet Reward (Unnamed so far.)

Second week is the Aftershock complete pack, the Retro Sci-Fi costume set, and apparently a free Respec for everyone.

Blood Moon on 13th and 14th.

Third week is Black Talon Device and Hideout Phase 4 (Primal Cave, Alchemist Sanctum.)

Fourth week is Jetpack, "New Gadget Powers" and the Ranged Weapon pack.

Fifth week is Hideouts 5 (Vigilante Basement, Space Agency Moonbase), Shared Hideout banks and hideout bank slots (This probably means on the AH to buy more.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 26, 2011

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Well, with the lair review update that changed Stronghold it's kind of a weird quasi-lair. It can be soloed, but it scales with teams just like the adventure packs and Aftershock, and the blue reward at the end scales as well depending on the difficulty.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

_Endgame_ posted:

I'm not going to lie, I literally downloaded this yesterday because someone in the MSPA thread made Mindfang and I was like oh gos costumes...so I also did a thing. (I know removing an arm is kind of impossible but no eye scars?)

Besides blatant sillyness I actually have come to like the game so far. At the moment blade seems alot more fun than the Grimoire I also made did. Although I must admit the purple gang seems...well a pretty big step in difficulty from the bugs.

I come bearing gifts!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Also the August release calender is up.
Added to the OP now, too. Seems pretty self-explanatory, although I wonder why they're added new stuff to Gadgeteering; it's been one of the better and more fleshed out sets since a few patches back. But eh, all I'm looking for is the jetpack and retro sci-fi sets, dammit. :stare:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most likely because of the Black Talon device. It probably has powers that are being turned into normal ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or not!

Ame posted:

/me looks at the calendar.

Hey, look at that! It IS on the calendar! Well then...

So when we did the Gadgeteering review, we actually wanted to add more powers than we did (well... that's kinda the case with every review, we always have more ideas :) ), and one of the areas we most wanted to hit was additional blaster/ray powers, and converting the Experimental Blaster type powers to using the weapon geo system like the other weapon attacks in game (munitions pistols, martial arts swords, etc.). So, that, along with some new powers, is what we have planned at this time.

Currently, our plan for what is shown on that calendar update is 2 new blaster powers. One of them is largely done - Experimental Pulse Ray - and it is a maintained single target attack. We're still working out the exact details on the other power, so you'll have to wait a bit for more info on that power. Based on feedback and requests from the Gadgeteering review, these 2 powers maintain the "erratic" side of the Experimental Blaster powers from Gadgeteering, but with a little less of the "wacky" side of the powers, unless you opt-in to that via advantages. We want players that want to expand their repertoire of wackiness to be able to do so, but if someone wanted to make a more srsbsns Gadgeteering character with ray-gun-esque powers, these 2 should help them out as well.

I'd still really like to make some more pets for Gadgeteering (and Sorcery, and Elemental sets, and ... you get the idea) at some point, but that isn't what we're planning for this upcoming release.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huh. So I guess I can have a pulp sci-fi blaster-wielding hero them. Well, as long as they make experimental burst ray far less annoying...

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

... and apparently a free Respec for everyone.

I think this is actually that token they were trying to make for switching between archetype and freeform, and not a free retcon. Yes, for some reason it's taken them this long to get a functioning token that allows you two switch.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Allatum posted:

I think this is actually that token they were trying to make for switching between archetype and freeform, and not a free retcon. Yes, for some reason it's taken them this long to get a functioning token that allows you two switch.
Oh, Cryptic. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also, it looks like tomorrow's patch stuff is up on the PTR, if anyone wants to take a look. Including the Archetype and the Magic Carpet travel power. The latter's pretty much what you expect, in the vein of the other "rides on stuff" flight-clones, but curiously the carpet itself glows in the dark and is pretty prominent. Also, single-colored and able to have its hue changed. I'm not sure I like it, but customization is a nice change after the last few gimmick movement powers.