Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So can you mix and match different flavors of the same base type? If I have Mom's Basement, can I pick up the High-Tech Basement and then use the hologram thing or wall-mounted weapon case in the otherwise crummy looking basement hangout? Or is everything locked to it's own 'set'?

It'd pretty much be perfect for my inventor hero to live in a lovely basement but still have high-tech stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I remember reading about Kelp being the first time I saw someone taking Energy Blast and RPing it as water blasts. :neckbeard:

Yeah, I think other people have been doing it in CoH for probably about as long, but I was doin' that since a month or two after launch over there. I found out semi-recently that Energy Blast's visuals were actually salvaged from a failed attempt at making a Water Blast set, which made the whole thing kinda surreal to me. It doesn't work as well visually in CO though. I'm not much of an RPer these days anyway, or really around and playing much, just kind of pop into CO now and then to see how it's going since I have a Lifetime sub. And spend all my built up cryptic points on being able to fly around with a rainbow shooting out of my rear end.

Thanks for the answer, though, guys. Now I just gotta wait a month for my free points and I can be a geek better.

Is there any sort of general place I can check for build info stuff? My characters are kind of untouched since launch and I'm not really sure what to do with them now. Mostly I'm asking about a straightforward 'smash dudes in the face and don't die' Might build. But an archery one would be nice to see too.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 8, 2011

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Light Gun Man posted:

Kind of easy to miss this if you don't read and click every update, but holy poo poo! I want em.

This is so perfect, I've always wanted pointless straps everywhere and giant dumb shoulderpads and infinite pouches.

I really wish they had done this sooner. It's spot-on 90s heroes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mewnie posted:

It really does. It's slower than walking.

The only thing this is useful for is exploring the tutorial area, and even then there's a height limit on how far you can go up using the boots(based on your starting point from the ground) so you have to do some weird things to get anywhere interesting. And there's not really anywhere interesting.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So, just logged on for the first time in a while and apparently none of my characters can access the majority of the costume options I own. New ones can get anything, but old ones have lots of empty drop-down menus, or ones that are severely limited. Moreso than just basic silver players, I think(though I don't know for sure). As a Lifetime sub with a shitload of the various costume packs, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening.

Anyone got a fix?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Support's response was to ask me to list every single costume item that's not showing up(which is like, over 90% of the game's stuff. there is no way i can list them all) and then immediately mark it solved within that same question they asked me. I can't even respond to their email since it's done through the Perfect World system instead of the Cryptic one and I only have a Cryptic account. :psyduck:

Making a new costume on an old character is no different. But like I said, newly made characters can access everything. So I'm not sure what the hell is going on here. I guess I'll just make a Perfect World account and merge the two and try support again.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Straight up missing, they aren't even showing up in any of the drop-downs. There's a few weird cases too, like if I select Jackets, it puts me in the Golden Age jacket, but that jacket is missing from the drop-down menu for Jackets entirely.

I'm not sure what parts are available to the plain F2P folks, but I'd assume I'm missing everything but those. None of my purchased costume pack parts are showing, none of the Gold parts are showing, not even my Lifetime art deco parts or my preorder bonus wings or whatever. They are just gone from the menus entirely.

And then on newly made characters, this isn't an issue. They have access to everything they're supposed to have, and the stuff I don't have shows up as locked but still is in the drop-downs. It's only the old ones- characters I've had since around launch.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 22, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's happening on both my laptop and my desktop computers, so I've been assuming it's an account-level thing and not like corrupted downloads or something. I'll give that a try overnight tonight though. Uuuugh reinstalling takes so long.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Solved it! So apparently they 'streamlined the costume making process' for 'new players', which means hiding a ton of poo poo until you complete the tutorial.

If you are a returning player, you must do the tutorial once more to 'unlock' the missing costume pieces on all your characters. Once you do that, everything works fine. Costume items, both owned and unowned, will all display appropriately in the costume editor.

Terrible way to handle things, honestly, and they really should mention this somewhere, but at least it's a simple fix.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Will someone be doing a writeup about how people should be respeccing once the update goes live? The archetypes are obviously going to be alright but the rest of us would probably benefit from understanding the changes, especially if this ends up drawing former players back into the game at all.

Just some general "if you're <x> role you want to focus on <a,b,c> stats now. If you're <y> role you want to focus on etc" stuff would be helpful. The site's writeup is kind of wordy and doesn't really make any suggestions on what to use for particular powersets or anything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You can buy the discounted CP and then sit on it until a sale though, for those of us who want to double-dip with discounts. I think I've got everything I want for the moment though...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh wow, opening up the adventure pack things to all players is a pretty nice thing to do. I was not expecting that. They should have made a bigger deal about it, since I know there's some people who were wanting to play that content but didn't want to have to drop money on the game to do so. Might be a decent hook to bring some players back.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks like the first vehicles hit tomorrow?

I wonder how hard it will be to unlock one of those for play outside the mission. I assume the real vehicle system will be much less difficult to get access to.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bluhman posted:

Yup, they came out today. You can get them either by farming Nighthawk's mission repeatedly, buying 100z belts, or just buying a 1500z plane.

Also, they can apparently be used inside Club Caprice. Wouldn't put it past them, either, since I did that while it was still on the PTS.

It's my jetsona, don't judge me. inside i am a beautiful steel framework with anti-aircraft missiles, and you roleplayers are oppressing me by telling me to turn this toggle off, how dare you.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hey guys, the top community contribution screenshot(of all time) on CO's game hub page on Steam only has like five votes. This means we can force whatever screenshots we want to the top of everything there as representing the game.

So thumbs-up this giant stone butt for me and make my stupid dream come true.

I'm sure there's some other way to exploit this in some creative way but a butt is all I got.

Edit: mission accomplished. Check out CO's steam game hub page, giant stone butt is the highest rated screenshot of all time by at least 10 votes.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 3, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hey Silver players, 50% off Freeform Slots this weekend. $25 is a much more palatable price for a character slot + perma Freeform for it than $50, and sales don't usually dip below 20% off for Cstore stuff, so jump on this while you can if you're interested.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So are the Nemesis Alert bosses not immune to knockback for a reason(balance or technical)? Or did someone just forget to turn it on for them?

Because, wow, it's really obnoxious to not be able to use Roomsweeper and build up my damage buffs. It makes fighting them, and keeping aggro, really difficult.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Any reccomendations for a pet-centric build? I've been messing around with trying to just get all sorts of weird magical summons and letting my pets mostly deal with enemies while I do some light damage from afar but I feel like there's probably some really useful make-pets-awesome-type powers I should be taking that I'm not aware of. And maybe some pets that suck and I should avoid?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

These seem to be the heavily discounted cards in question. $7.99 for 60 days. drat good discount. Not a ton of them though!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Next phase of the Destroid Invasion event starting up after maintenance tomorrow, big ol' lv60 robots that will need big groups to take down. They drop Champion Summons, in both temporary and far-more-rare permanent variations. So that might be cool. Or it might be ignored if those summons suck.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The device-based crafting powers are also just alternate named versions of ones currently available through some other methods. I think the magic flight and the R.A.D. Sphere one are both available through Questionite, but they're named more generically than the device variants. Then there's stuff like Darkspeed which is a travel power but it's not a real TP, it's a clone of Lightspeed but a black trail and only available as a rare drop from a certain boss I think.

There's nothing you can't ever get right now, though Flag Speed isn't available at the moment obviously, as a seasonal thing.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 1, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm doing a big nerd thing and putting together a comprehensive video about CO's character creation/costume editor thing, since I've had a number of friends from other games(mostly CoH) feel like they couldn't figure out how to do what they wanted to do with it. As far as costume editors go, it is pretty complex. I want to get an in-depth explanation about the asymmetry and glowing bits and weirdly hidden options-within-options so people know how to make better things.

So I'd like to get a lot of screenshots together of some cool poo poo people have done with the editor to show off in said video. Just pick your favorite costume, or most impressive or bizzare things you've made, hop in the greenscreen room in the powerhouse, crank up your settings and turn off the UI and get some nice shots. The stuff people here will give me is going to be leaps and bounds beyond the stuff I'll get from anywhere else I ask to do this, so it'd be cool if people could send things my way either via PMs or just posting in the thread I guess.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've got what is hopefully just a silly question. I'm at the point where I've got a couple of level 25 characters that I can create a Nemesis for. However, during the creation process, when it gets to the "Choose Nemesis Minion" screen, it doesn't actually show the minion. The option is there to zoom in and out, but the buttons are grayed out. No matter what minion type (undead, soldiers, etc.) or class (ranged, melee, etc.) I pick, I never get to see what they look like before continuing on. Is it just me, or is it a bug, or did Cryptic/PWE say "gently caress it" and assume that we'll all just have an encyclopedic knowledge of all minions and their appearance? :smith:

This used to work properly, but it, like some other aspects of the Nemesis system, is just horribly bugged.

The enemies look about how you'd expect them to though, with the exception of some of the groups near the bottom with elemental themes, which are just generic "guys in tights" with a colorscheme reflective of whatever element it says.

Also: when you get to the Prison Breakout Nemesis mission, it has a tendency to bug out. You just have to exit and restart it until it works.

For what's supposed to be one of the flagship aspects of the game, something other games don't do at all, there's a lot of broken poo poo in the Nemesis system.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There is just absolutely nothing interesting in them. I guess maybe it's noteworthy that they exist? Kinda? STO's done it for so long it's not really a big deal by now.

Later on when they have exclusive costume bits or vehicles or whatever inside them, then people might care and there might be opportunity to do some exploitative economy stuff.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Something to note for anyone new to CO- the game is much lighter on copyright infringement management stuff than CoH tended to be. Mostly because there's no real way to report people for stuff like that, (all you can do is flag them for spam) so there's a lot more of it here. On the upside, you can get away with just about anything you want along those lines, and the archetypes kind of seem built to encourage it(Iron Man movie comes along and we get power armor, The Old Republic launches and we get a laser-swords-and-lighting-powers AT, Dark Knight Rises hits and we get a whole batman type set, etc).

This is why you see long-standing supergroups based around Marvel or DC or Transformers or whatever all over the place. It's pretty weird, coming from CoH.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 21, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That is the silliest travel power I've seen in any game. Giant glowing skull as a mode of transportation. What can even use that and make any sense? Necromancers? Eldritch horrors? Skull Man?

Pretty good go-to weirdass choice for nonsense characters though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks like the Nighthawk jets will get color customization to go along with the slot stuff everything else has, basically just be on par with other vehicles in terms with customization. That's nice, I was worried they'd halfass that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only problem with the vehicles is you're basically restricted to street sweeping missions or the special vehicle-only ones. They only work "outdoors", and this definition of "outdoors" also does not include instanced missions that take place outdoors at all. So like, comic series, adventure packs, any any other missions you have to go into a place to do they don't work in. With one or two exceptions, which might have been 'fixed' by now.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

All the costumes and powers in the world aren't worth dropping any money on unless there's lots of fun stuff to do involving them. The Comic Series/Adventure Packs were good additions and the newer ones like Resistance and Whiteout(when they work) are a lot of fun. Reading dialogue or lore or whatever doesn't enter into it, they have some fun combat encounters, some challenging ones, and some great gimmicks like piloting giant robots or shapeshifting enemies hiding in the environment.

The problem is there's just not enough of it, and what there is, you can crank through in about a month tops. The zones are largely a waste of time outside of a few key missions here and there that do something interesting(mostly the Crisis/Apocalypse stuff) and when you hit lv40 you can do like 3 things or make someone new again.

And I hope you like being a tanky DPS character because that's all you'll ever be. I really wish CO had some stronger crowd control stuff, it'd be nice to be able to focus on a support role that's not healing.

I like CO, but it's got problems. Problems they can hopefully fix, given another year or so under PWE's loose control instead of while strangled by Atari.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cleretic posted:

But as far as actual things to do, rather than things to do them with, you've got like... one new mission?

Yeah- they did a few small time-limited event things like Nighthawk's whole weird mystery thing, but the only content permanently added was the new totally-not-the-SHIELD-hellicarrier defense mission. (which is meant for vehicles but you can do it without them)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Killsion posted:

Been dabbling on and off with this for the past few weeks. Made an Unleashed that just hit 25 thanks to this double XP boost. The game is honestly quite fun though I question how long that will stay. Any advice for new silver folks? Leveling strategy, etc?

Don't neglect Adventure Packs/Comic Series. They're much more fun than a lot of the game's standard content(usually- the newer ones are better, some of the older ones are kind of bland or tedious) and if you're stuck in a spot where you're unhappy with the content you're running into, they're a great break from it. Plus you earn Questionite for completing them, and there's usually some costume drops to get from them too. They're sort of the equivalent of CoH's Task Forces in that they're self-contained and do things you won't see happen elsewhere in the game, BUT you can run them solo if you'd like to. These used to be for-pay content, and were made free to everyone forever about half a year ago- they're pretty good quality. Some of CO's better content overall.

Also, if you end up really enjoying the game, subscribing or buying a freeform slot might be worthwhile. Playing the game as a freeform is really the best way to play, being able to choose any powers you want from any sets is just awesome for doing weird gimmick or concept builds and you can still make them pretty effective. That's really CO's strength.

Also, since you're 25, make sure you go talk to the police chief and make your Nemesis! They're a little buggy right now but making a Nemesis is one of CO's cooler features and it's easy to miss it if you don't know when you're supposed to go do that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

kojicolnair posted:

Decided to try out this again since I always kind of enjoyed it. Kind of wondering about all this vehicle stuff, is it worth picking one up off the cstore or whatever it's called now? Only asking because I still have some cash shop points left from when I used to play.

Essentially, Vehicles are fancy, customizable 'Become <x>' devices. Don't expect something wholly game-changing. They're also limited to exterior zone maps and a few occasional in-mission outdoor maps.(I haven't found any of these yet but I think they exist?) As well as having their own special queueable assault mission.

Get one if you feel like you would want your dude to roll around in a tank or jet or hoverbike(are these out yet? these are coming and they look cooler than the other vehicles since your guy rides them). But they're not necessary and they don't really add significant content to the game yet.

This may change in the future if they add a bunch of vehicle-only content. But at the rate we've gotten new things to do, that seems unlikely.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

General Maximus posted:

The one vehicle mission we have currently gives you a temporary one to use, but it basically just gives you unsuppressed flight and leaves you using all your normal powers. Depending on your build and whether you have access to freeform or not, that may actually be a good thing.

Edit: And is it bad that I'm now hoping for a hover board vehicle like the power CoH had? Just make it the same where it gives you flight but you use your normal powers from on it. I always liked the look of that thing, but having it shut off all your powers sucked.

CO already has this basically. It's the Hover Disk flight power variant. It's not a board, but it's the same sort of thing. I think that's actually what you get granted temporarily during the vehicle mission. Less a quasi-vehicle and more just a flight gadget. Oh and you aren't locked out of combat powers while using it either.

It also has a flying carpet power(which it added before CoH made one) that you're not locked out from using powers while flying on. For all your stereotypical superarabian needs.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The CO wiki is really poorly maintained. I've never seen an active MMO with a Wiki that can go weeks without getting patch notes added, or years without images of some enemies. Usually a game has at least like five super-sperg guys that dedicate their lives to it's wiki, but CO just doesn't. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of the game to deal with, for me, having nowhere good to go to get info or see unlockable costume stuff.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's $50 for a single Freeform slot, in case that wasn't clear. Not just Freeform access in general. This is pretty important to understand. You aren't buying access to a freeform AT, you're buying a single character slot that can access the Freeform system.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Basically, as they were making STO and Neverwinter, they were setting enemy groups and maps and items up for player use as things were added.

They didn't do this for Champions.

If they were ever going to add the Foundry to CO, which won't happen, it'd require several people to go through every object and enemy and map in the game and format them all to properly work in the Foundry. Not going to happen in a game that's already in life support with a staff of like 3 people working on it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That's the thing with Champions- it's not an outright terrible game, and early on you might be having a lot of fun with it due to the customization and huge amount of powers to play with.

But once you get to max level, or a few weeks in, or make two or three alts, you'll start feeling like everything is far too samey and bland. The game's illusion of being big and fancy ends up getting shattered and you're left kind of bored, your build functionally the same as almost anyone else's, nothing to do at max level, and seeing a million people with names like XxDarkZer-0xX 23233(despite the name system never needing anyone to do that kind of poo poo) that have randomized costumes and just don't care.

And then you go "well I'll take a break and come back next time there's a major update", and when you do, you realize that any potential the idea they were trying to implement had has been completely wasted and monetized to hell, the 'new content' will barely last you more than an hour, and there's still no reason to not just make a ranged DPS/self-healing Tank hybrid character.

Enjoy CO while you can- I find it kind of fun to mess with once or twice every year or so but it never really sticks. If the game had more content and more valid types of builds it would be more interesting, but I don't think it'll ever get improved.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I remember the CO devs mentioning some sort of sidekick system that basically sounded like a cross between STO's duty officers and Neverwinter's companions. Plus the visual customization of STO's bridge officers. Which sounds really cool to me, but I'm not sure how much content that would bring to the game.

And maybe some details of that were more conjecture than fact, I can't really remember anymore- this stuff came up before Vehicles were fully implemented as the next step after that system got into the game. I wonder if it's still happening. I'd love to make Batman and have a bunch of Robins running around with me.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's enough work that I believe they mentioned they were considering pursuing a Kickstarter specifically to fund it- but I doubt a "give CO a level editor!" kickstarter would work out. They've probably dropped that line of thought.

I don't know how much it would be for sure, we'd have to ask a dev to really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh wow, if this game gets an actual team working on it, giving it new(substantial) content, adding a Foundry, fixing all the busted poo poo, CO could actually be a good game at long last. :unsmith:

I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it again.