Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I don't see too many people who are melee focused actually use the melee passives. Usually it's defiant, AoPM, or LR. Granted, this is from the narrow grouping of people I find in the T4 arenas.

Quarry is still best anyways. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I just hope they do decide to overhaul crafting and items in general sometime in the near future.

Especially power replacers.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

... and apparently a free Respec for everyone.

I think this is actually that token they were trying to make for switching between archetype and freeform, and not a free retcon. Yes, for some reason it's taken them this long to get a functioning token that allows you two switch.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I believe they put something in the water to get the latest patch.

Edit: drat, the bug went a way when the game was restarted.

Allatum fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 27, 2011

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I already posted that freaky elf thing that was used in the OP.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
"Best use of two colors" There are a lot of terrible red/blue, red/black, etc. costumes.

"Most recently purchased from the c-store" for people who use one of those sets together.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

I tried an END/CON/rec setup but I didn't seem to get that much more out of Resurgence or Imbue with Con statted for, but I did/do run into situations where a higher at-rest equilibrium would have been very nice.

Superstats:
Level 6: Super Endurance
Level 13: Super Recovery

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt -- Lightning Overload, Rank 2
Level 1: Lightning Arc -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 6: Sparkstorm -- Rank 2, Electric Personality
Level 6: Superspeed -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 8: Electric Form -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 11: Ionic Reverberation
Level 14: Gigabolt -- Death Arc, Rank 2
Level 17: Electrocute -- Superconductor, Rank 2
Level 20: Electric Shield -- Electric Vengeance, Rank 2
Level 23: Electric Sheath -- Matter - Energy Union
Level 26: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 29: Sonic Device -- Deafening Dissolution
Level 32: Masterful Dodge
Level 35: Resurgence
Level 35: Teleport -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 38: Nanobot Swarm

Talents:
Level 1: Energized
Level 6: Amazing Stamina
Level 9: Energetic
Level 12: Tireless
Level 15: Boundless Reserves
Level 18: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Enduring

Are you using gigabolt for the taps? If so, I'd keep that. Otherwise I'd suggest Chest Beam for charges.

Drop Nanobot Swarm and resurgence, get Conviction and maybe Mindful Reinforcement (It looks kind of electric.) They're not superb and conviction is a lot better than resurgence if you don't need something to break free from holds. Plus Conviction can be gotten early on, being a tier 1 power.

And maybe ball lightning instead of Sonic device, so you'd have more to play off of ionic reverberation. You could rank down your energy builder or drop the advantage to get the one on ball lightning.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Was he level 30-something? There's one of the elder worm missions in Monster Island that gives an item called Humidifier Dome or something.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

He was 40. So equipping the item makes you transparent like that?

Here it is. It looks like your Equilibrium/energy needs to be at a 80% or somesuch for that to work.

Elder Worm Humidity Dome

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

What happens if you're below that? The transparency just doesn't work?

Pretty much, yeah. It's more or less a gimmick item for use in sentinel role or whatnot.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
New patch up on the Public test shard. Unfortunately it introduced a bug that causes the game to crash when you try to view the full list of powers.

On the plus side, they're adding some cool things to gadgetry:
  • Particle Rifle (New!): A new Energy Builder that uses the new Particle Rifle geometry and animations.
  • Sonic Boom Generator (New!): This new Tier 2 power is a charged AoE power that can Disorient your targets.
  • Sonic Boom Generator: Sonic Suppression Enhancer (New!): This 2 point advantage doubles the chance to Disorient with Sonic Boom Generator (such that it is 100% at full charge) and causes full charges of Sonic Boom Generator to temporarily reduce each target's resistance to Sonic damage.
  • Pulse Beam Rifle (New!): This new Tier 1 power is a maintained attack with a large damage variance that has an increasing Critical Hit chance as it is maintained.
  • Pulse Beam Rifle: Finite Improbability Engine (New!): This 2 point advantage slightly increases the increase to Critical Hits of the base power, and also adds random debuffs when you Critically Hit with the power.
  • Tanglecoil Launcher (New!): This new Tier 2 power Paralyzes your target and deals Crushing damage while they are Held by the power.
  • Tanglecoil Launcher: Constricting Coils (New!): This 2 point advantage increases the damage that Tanglecoil Launcher deals.
  • Support Drones: Rank 3 now has access to an additional darker costume option.

New Power Armor power:
  • Energy Wave (New!): This new Tier 3 power is a charged PBAoE that deals Particle damage and knocks back foes.
  • Energy Wave: Hardened Particle Matrix (New!): This 3 point advantage causes your Energy Wave to grant you a temporary damage absorption shield based on the number of targets hit.

And a new kick to Might which acts as a repel or a knock if you charge it.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
They'd better. The Noire set has a lot of awesome concepts in it. Like the pilot cap.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
That build has little in the way of survivability. You could drop EBB for Ego Weaponry, or go Weaponry > EBB. (Because weaponry is really good with dex/ego now, and you really only need one thing for spike damage or maybe the sweet Debuff)

You could replace Force Shield with Energy Shield + Laser Knight if you're going to be in Melee a lot, and maybe pick up Bionic Shielding instead of Telekinesis (I admit it is a fun power and not useless now.)

I guess it comes down to your style, but I personally do not enjoy being completely devoid of healing capability.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I am a happy idiot. :saddowns:

But I didn't see that at first, you had the powers listed in a weird order. Yeah. Ego Weaponry has a decent heal, and the increased crit chances from Leech really helps.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Ranking up form of the swordsman isn't a terrible idea, but get nailed to the ground and the stun on your Thunderbolt Lunge. the knock-to on the throwing knife is up to preference really.

Edit: A Dragon Bite is also Not Terrible. The numbers look smaller than other attacks but that's just because it's a double hit. It also gives the Rush Buff which reduces the cost of all your powers and gives some energy return.

Allatum fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 16, 2011

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Most likely Thursday or Friday due to recent trends.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Taking numbers into account, Hundred Fists is about on par with Chainsaw (except it hits a wider area) and Ego Blade Frenzy (But hits less targets) I think Chainsaw can manage more damage outright, but Fists will do two hits every half second, which can do a lot of damage. Provided you're not running Elite and fighting a boss with defiant or invuln.

I think the T3s need a bit of beefing up though, They both have potential but they're kind of weak on damage. However, Open Palm currently doesn't apply knock resist on taps, so you can get endless fun of knocking junk over.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
It will probably be fixed in the next PTS update. Telekinetic Burst was doing a similar thing with its knockdown when it was added and they changed that. I'm hoping both it and the uppercut get some damage boosts, though. If you compare Open Palm Strike to other tier 3 single targets, it's a bit underwhelming unless you want a Haymaker-esque knock that costs less, and has a shorter charge.

Edit: Looks really cool though. I guess I just like Hadoukens.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Depending on how you do it, haymaker and demolish are redundant. Demolish is a good setup or single target attack, and Uppercut provides a good setup for it.

As for Grimoire, they're more about area control and support. Lightning sigils are good to rank up, and they get a decent AoE heal option somewhere along the line.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Some one threw out the idea of Slutty Hobo. I approve of this.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I'm @shaosyant in game.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Is Slutty Hobo still good? How about Slutty 60's Astronaut/Cosmonaut?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

delfin posted:

Patch notes are up for the latest update, and there's way too much poo poo in it to summarize so just read it.

(cherry-picking: they managed to make Amazing Grace WORSE. :stare:)

Amazing Grace has its useless. But sadly only for PvP, or if you are anal about getting the most out of dodge mechanics.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I really like that idea, but it may take work to mutilate some suggestions.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Mewnie posted:

:siren:SILVERSPAR:siren: has quit CO over the Lohr debacle :lol:

Although I'm pretty sure it's quit CO forever before!

What the hell is the Lohr debacle? I know there's some kind of weird circlejerk going on with the most frequent posters but I don't read everything on the CO forums.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Going three ways with the talents is only +18 to each, which used to be a nice secondary item's worth of stats. Before the Adventure Pack drops and PvP vendor items at least.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
The item modification system is looking to be incredibly grindy with increasing chances of failure if you want the higher quality stuff. As for nerfs, they're reducing the number of secondary items you can have to one row. It wouldn't bother me so much if they'd provide some incentive for old characters to re-do content besides "Hey, you're going to be gimped compared to newer characters." From an admittedly arbitrary PvP standpoint, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to spot those teleporting rascals without a full load out of detection utility items, either.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
They're probably counting on the money from questionite trading and catalyst purchases.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

They're going to make more money this way, and it shuts the annoying forumites up because it's not handing them to Silvers.

They're still crying about it, though. I present to you 'Let's Put Lifetime Accounts in a Grab Bag.'

Enjoy.

edit: It's an extremely passive aggressive whine that wonderfully avoids saying they're mad about the freeform grab bag.

Allatum fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 26, 2012

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

voodoospork posted:

Is there a PVP scene for this at all? I've already got a 40 from launch, but herding cats in the DOTA-alike map got old fast. Would I have to newly mourn this waste of a system if I came back for PVP?

The PvP crowd is dumb. I wouldn't waste your time unless you want to really learn how it all works, and then throw away any idea of theme if you want to be ~the best.~ Even then, the only arena people queue for is BASH which can be a clusterfuck.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

With the upcoming Nighthawk update, it's very possible to use stacking Evasive Maneuvers/Night Warrior/Sneak/Smoke bombs to be stealthed forever. :ninja:

Or at least that's what one player says. They might fix it when all that stuff gets off the PTS.

It's already easy to be effectively permanently invisible against some mobs and players by using rank 3 Smoke grenades, Superstatted Dex, and Shadowform. Put Evasive Maneuvers and the Frost Beast in there for insurance and then nothing will ever see you again.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

ZombieParts posted:

I fixed it.

I haven't played CO since it's launch but with CoH getting its head chopped off, I am looking for a replacement hero game. The graphics in CO are goofy but the Ultimate Thor mock up on page 4 or so really sold me on this. I'm down for swinging some heavy weapons.

I vaguely remember my Might character and he seemed so drat underpowered. My general combat tactic was to take off into a mob at a run and use Roomsweeper to throw the crowd (which is funny) and then I could single target them as they came running back. I never felt truly "super" playing the game though. Has that been balanced out?

Swinging was cool and the earth shattering Super Jump was cool. I'm into special effects, I guess.

Where does the general populace gather to shoot the poo poo and roleplay?

It's Club Caprice but only people looking for ERP really go there. Maybe you could play the great Deputy Marshal, Wyatt ERP and regulate the poor misguided souls.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Brave New World posted:

I find that some character concepts work out better in one game or the other. I like my Dual Blades toon in CO way more than her Dual Blades/Super Reflexes Brute counterpart. I couldn't translate my Power Armor character into CoX- the closest I could come conceptually was an Electric/Electric Tanker, which is nowhere near the same experience. I love my Gadgeteer, but had to abandon her evil twin Bots/Traps MasterMind halfway through the costume process. Unfortunately, the number of concepts that would never translate from CoX into CO would be way too huge to mention. For one, you guys have nothing that comes anywhere near the awesomeness known as a Dominator.

One thing that always bothered me about CO's pets is that you could never give them a theme like Mastermind pets. Hell, they really only feel like masses of fodder you summon, then press your auto attack to let them do all the work. I miss my Ninja/Poison mastermind I had way back but I jumped ship on CoX three years ago nearly on account of the Early AE being nothing much more than boring grind groups. It was hard to find anything else to do at the time. Now I just hope CO can pick up the slack of content. Or maybe even introduce the Foundry they had for STO.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
About what? I never liked pets in CO. :mad:

Edit: that's a lie. There was a point when the Summoned Shadows were pretty cool, but there's faster ways to kill everything.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Section Z posted:

For an insane man dead set on the simple gimmick that is 'Laser Knight ASAP' (The Power Armor shield advantage), what melee (aside from claws, gently caress claws) would look coolest with it?

Or does the shield not show up and only give you the stats modifier?

It shows up whenever you do melee attacks. I think it looks neat with Ego Blades, but power armor also has its own in-set particle blades now. There's also single blade, but there's not a ton of AoE options with that.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Two Gun Mojo is actually a somewhat decent power now. The range isn't superb but you still keep a lot of mobility compared to some of the other range maintains. Excluding TK assault I guess.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
So I'm missing something or are the hover bikes just not something you can buy? I'd rather pretend I have a swoop bike than be in a tank.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I wish CO's costume parts had the detail that some of CoX's. Some are good, but a lot of the older stuff just looks lazy in comparison. I think the only stuff I really miss are proper auras and the customizable bases.

I doubt CO will ever have anything on par with CoX's bases though.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

Unless they dramatically changed it from the last time I played, you have a single good attack (Tiger's Bite?) in the entire line. It's a really good attack, but it's never-the-less the only one worth taking.

Dragon's Claw, but yeah. It's pretty much the only good attack of the set, and that's only if you're going to be getting critical hits frequently. There's no AoE or any kind of control that's specific to the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

Not only this, but this does make a potential for a very cheap and fairly quick (if not very boring) method of farming Q-boxes:

1. Level a character up to level 9. (Preferably with teleport or stealth.)
2. Get the mission Purple Reign.
3. Go to the end of the mission, and defeat Poe, but don't deactivate the bomb. Instead, just walk out the door.
4. Re-enter. The instance should instantly be reset.
5. Return to step 3.
6. When bored, open boxes and continue normal play.

How many does he drop? Another way is to work your way through Serpent Lantern to the Second Bunker. Kill Frosty, DON'T use the keycard after you loot everything. He still gives double drops of everything, including questionite boxes.

It might take a little longer but if you can do it reliably that's 400 to a potential 3,000 Q per run.