Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bluhman posted:

The newest patch brings us a bug: Whenever you put away weapons, your character EXPLODES.

Well, they make an explosion sound whenever putting weapons away.

This has hilarious implications for griefing. EX: Walk into club caprice, repeatedly use lead tempest/sword cyclone/eye of the storm/brimstone and block to make a series of very loud explosion noises.

That's it, I'm naming my next character Michael Bay to hang out in Club Caprice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Until they add an electric guitar as a wieldable costume option for Heavy Weapons, I'm not buying any weapon set. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

It's not even a gimmick, it totally fits my RP Biography™!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

edit: derp wrong Despair Incarnate encounter, disregard this.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

While we're on the subject of cheap knockoffs, I may as well share my costumes for Sara Croft, twin sister of a famous adventurer.

I haven't really played her except for trolling Club Caprice, though. The better a ripoff costume is, the more it'll get RPists in an uproar. :q:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bloody Pancreas posted:

drat my plans went up in smoke. I had wanted to play as a Dual Pistol/Celestial and my nemesis Dual Pistol/Darkness (or vice versa). Seems your nemesis can only have one power set and it's not even customizable. A drat shame.

"I'm gonna make this nemesis here and give him only energy builders and then farm him on Elite."

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Cryptic's pretty good at sneaking in one or two must have generic costume pieces into each set to make you want them.

Formal hair flower. :argh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Doing Teleios Tower, Stronghold, or the Destroid Factory at the levels you acquire the missions for them can also be pretty hard, especially if your group doesn't have a good tank (common) or if you're trying to keep Foxbat alive (good luck).

e: oh you said Lairs. well... :negative:

You think those are hard? You try finding anyone to run Mandragalore with. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Double post!

Just got an honorable mention in a Duo Costume Contest. You could have been there Pingu, way to drop the ball.

Dang, I should've been there in all-pink gay armour to create Kaidan. :gay:

Or, on a more serious note, Jack would've been awesome to tag along. :black101:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Equipment is pointless either way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Just made one from my old goonling.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Hey, the Super Goon Squad forums are back. Better save the Stephan profile/bio for future reference (someone was looking for it earlier). :v:

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there any sort of general place I can check for build info stuff? My characters are kind of untouched since launch and I'm not really sure what to do with them now. Mostly I'm asking about a straightforward 'smash dudes in the face and don't die' Might build. But an archery one would be nice to see too.

Might is pretty hard to get wrong.

The first thing you'll want to do is respec out of the first attack they give you, and get Roomsweeper. Apart from that, pick Unstoppable if you want to do damage, or Defiance to be more survivable. I personally prefer to pick Defiance either way, as the added survivability means I can clear stuff with less downtime and just keep going once I have a full stack of Enrage and Defiance.

Check out Bluhman's Brick writeup linked from the OP, if you want more specific pointers on Might, ask away.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

On the CO Wiki there are guides for Electricity and Fireand I was wondering if someone who knows more about this stuff than me can tell me if these builds are actually good or if they are out of date or just stupid.

Check out the OP. There are writeups by Bluhman on pretty much all the powersets.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Eh, we can wait, we've got a lifetime ahead of us! :downsrim:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I don't really see the mockery.

The guy literally has skulls on top of of his skulls. He's a walking pile of skulls. Would you really believe a hero with such a costume? (Outside of the obvious "heroes aren't real" aspect.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Why would Lenin's brain be irradiated, though?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

randombattle posted:

To be fair a simple recurve bow is nothing unique.

Considering most fantasy games have no trouble coming up with wild designs for their bows, they could come up with some more creative ideas.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Isn't it anniversary time as well?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

:words:

I told you, my category is "Second best clone character". And if there aren't any ripoffs present, we can just pick someone randomly as well, because they're only second best!

And I'll judge and stuff, however I can't chip in the 100g I committed to the prize pot until I reactivate gold. :laugh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

My issue with that is that our prizes are actually a decent chunk of money. If we give those people it, they will just make more terrible.

Then give the "Best" costume the Harmon Taser you won recently. :q:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

That time and date is fine by me. Presuming the anniversary event has started by then, I'll be active again, and will probably bring my L40 (Maleficia the roller derby star). Barring that, it'll be my silver Blade character, Laetitia, who has lightspeed for the lightning round at least.

I think we should pick half decent SG colours and everyone judging take the time to adapt a costume to these colours. But only if the current, horrendous magenta and lemon scheme is corrected. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

I will be judging with fuzz so you better invite her.

Why would we let that happen, you'll be too busy answering furry catgirl cyber tells to actually judge the contest.

Nevermind, you're perfect, that'll make it more like pubbie contests.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

What pants are those on Devillin? They're definitely not anything I have in my pants options.

Looks like street defender with some sci-fi leg accessory.

e;fb. nice hooker makeup.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

Manliest Anime Character?

EDIT: Or maybe Best Male Character Using The Female Mesh?

That would mean only Stephan qualifies, and we don't want to give that... thing a prize, do we?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but hardest only because you need to take a second to log out and back in. It's still trivial.

Edit: God drat are people in CO slow. This is the ad I've been running for the CC:
Supergoons will be holding their firth ever Costume Contest Saturday at 8 server/11 East/11:30 Newfoundland/1965 that island from Lost. Wear you best. Bribes will be accepted beginning Friday at 5

I've gotten everything from "Is that first or fifth?" to "What kind of costume do you wear for a Newfoundland category?"

Once when someone asked what "firth" means, I answered "The CC is to celebrate the life and career of our favorite British actor". Someone else asked "Sean Connery?"

For the next CC we definitely need to have a Newfoundland category now.

And you have to show up 30 minutes late to the CC to qualify.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

asked people not to make fun of my speech impediment

I hope you did it using <<RPist brackets>>.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

Yeah, I played this for awhile last year, all of my old dudes are locked out. Is there any way to just like, buy a single Gold Character permanently? That would probably actually make me play again.

Then there wouldn't be much incentive to buy a subscription, much less a lifetime one, would there?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Best Homage To The Greatest Guitarist That Ever Lived

Judged by Purple Haze

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bluhman posted:

It's lot less of an issue with super speed, in my experience. If you tap the jump button right (a very short tap) while running at full speed, you can make pretty high jumps. To give an idea, I can get up onto the short side of the RenCen awning from ground level using this technique.

Yeah, I always thought this was sorta weird. The power says it raises your jump height, but it only seems to do it if you just let momentum do its job, as opposed to doing a full controlled jump.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Jan, jjac and Bluhman: I need to know your characters for tomorrow.

Maleficia, conveniently with Lightspeed as the last picked power for retconning around.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I just started playing as a silly man who dresses like a bird and calls himself Night Owl, and I'm completely overwhelmed by the whole Arms/Mysticism/Science thing. I chose the Blade archetype so I figured I should choose Arms, but then it asked me to specialize, and I'm kind of lost. Can someone give me a starter course on how to learn new skills and improve them?

Tradeskills are really pretty much all the same, and will rarely have any use to you other than making some bags and consumable items. Specialties beyond that are literally identical and pretty much only for limited RP value.

If you're really curious, the main difference is the most common stats from each set. Off the top of my head, Arms has some more CON and STR, for instance, and Mysticism has some PRE. You can see the details from one of the tradeskill trainer questions, but Arms will be your best bet as Blade either way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Asimo posted:

The choice of crafting type does determine the stats on the items you'll make, admittedly; Arms is a little heavier focused on Strength, and so on. In practice though you'll never use any items you make because the gear you can make will generally be two thirds as good as what you find from drops or quests, so all you'll ever really use will be endgame costume unlocks and stuff. So!

That's not really true, though. If you keep your tradeskill a bit ahead of your level (i.e.: pretty much all the time unless you're in the 2-3 levels before you can upgrade your cap), you can make some real good equal-level pieces, especially the customisable ones. But yeah, that'll always be one or two items max at any time.

And drops or quest upgrades aren't really that common, compared to the amount of garbage stuff you'll end up researching or selling. On Purple Haze, I've been getting maybe one upgrade every 2 full vendorloads of 18-slot bags for the whole of L24-32. And it's not like END/REC are hard stats to come by. So crafting upgrades do happen.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

They are completely identical except for item names (Stats are identical, names are not), the 3 Action Figures they can make, and trainer location.

It's probably not worth dropping the points, it's just annoying to head over.

On the other hand, you can max out tradeskills without ever visiting a specialty trainer. Of particular interest are the customisable secondary items that cost 1 component to make and research to that same component. :laugh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nissir posted:

Haven't played this since beta, going to try out the free to play this week. Is there any broken classes to stay away from, or any OP classes to flock towards?

Uh, pretty much all "classes" are bad compared to freeform.

Glacier is well rounded though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nissir posted:

Is there a way to make a freeform necromancer/pet class that is good at soloing? Or should I stick with something simple like a melee dps class?

Well, you mentioned free to play, so you couldn't have a freeform character with free to play anyway.

Behemoth is a good, solid and resistant melee DPS archetype. Blade is alright too, but doesn't have a lot of varied attacks until later on.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone experienced go over the more worthwhile ability upgrades for the Blade archetype (or point me to someone who does)? I feel bad training the skill that adds AoE to one of my initial attacks only to find out that the level 11 skill pretty much overlaps with it.

That's pretty much the thing with Blade, really. Once you have Scything Blade with Swallowtail Cut, you have literally no reason to use Reaper's Caress. The latter only becomes useful again once you have Reaper's Embrace, since bleeds can stack further with Reaper's Caress, and do more damage.

But that's L40 in the Blade archetype, as opposed to L12 or so in freeform. Not really that impressive.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Also, Cryptic semi-frequently throws a free full respec for everyone. I'm not 100% positive when these happen, probably with the release of new archetypes, but I do know that my characters pretty much always have a "Free" respec available.

As for picking powers in freeform, the gist of it is as Aphrodite says. If you're not sure about how well different power sets synergise, just ask the channel or in this thread. After a while, half the fun of the game becomes to try experimental, wacky builds with unlikely synergies. :3:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

randombattle posted:

Sadly I cannot see Open Palm staying knockdown crazy.

Can't have players get ARGENT or VIPER abilities now, can we?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It's about how 90% of Halloween costumes are just slutty versions of regular things.

I was looking online for Halloween costume ideas. After spending thirty seconds on this site, I decided I was gonna make my own. :stare:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

That could work for one week where we just have a single category, but with a larger prize. The 5 ridiculous categories one we did (Also known as "The Hulkpool CC") didn't work out so well, but if we did only one category like that with a huge prize it could probably attract quite a few people, and if it doesn't at least it's over fast.

Hey now, that CC had some of our best attendance rates. It was just ruined by certain people duelling throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nothing about the melee weapon set still?