Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
A team full of Presence-superstat AOPM characters with Palliate does some really, uh, interesting things in terms of their ridiculously uptuned damage/efficacy, as well.

Have a slow build of Palliate chaining onto one prime target, who then dishes out The Biggest Whammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Also if you want to rectify the no undies issue and keep the thigh highs look, try either Curves of Curves Open from the first premium tights pack.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Bluhman posted:

--Though I'll be discussing it later for completely different reasons, Lead Tempest is hands down the best Self-Centric AoE attack in the game in terms of range. If you're a tank and need a quick way to catch enemy attention, take Challenging Strikes on the move and you'll be able to draw most aggro to yourself quite easily.

Yeah, but not always the target you want aggro from. Lead Tempest has the colossal downside of randomly picking targets including destructible objects within its enormous range for its %tohit procs every pulse of the maintain.

Lead Tempest is a cool-looking but ultimately terrible power for this reason. If you just want CS on a single large boss target it's pretty great, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, two key elements of any taunt in this game's aggro structure are their range and persistence, and Lead Tempest has the range hands-down. I used Ego Sprites and Thunderclap for my taunts on Eclipse for a long time, and that worked really well, even when the threat until cooldown mechanic was re-evaluated because of powers like Thunderclap.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

For a build as likely to lack strength and con as a Munitions build is, Howl is absolutely a better consideration than Enrage, especially if you're going to have Int superstatted for Quarry.

In fact Enrage is, as a power, largely marginalized at this point but for simply serving as a conversion tool for stacks of Defiance to Enrage. In terms of maintaining an Enraged! condition, Howl or a rage-granting attack is generally superior.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Terrible. Don't bother, if you have it and are putting ranks in it just take it to 3.

e: for reference, the almost insignificant heal component of ego sprites' advantage heals for much more than it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I certainly don't mind, you're more or less spot on with your brief skill summaries.

I want to point something out, in addition:
The Lashing Dragon Tail buff, Evasive Maneuvers, and Bountiful Chi Resurgence all last about the same amount of time: 12 seconds. (I think EM actually lasts a bit longer, like 14, but that's irrelevant.
This means that with a r3 Evasive Maneuvers, frequent use of Dragon Kick, and BCR, you can and will have a flat +24% dodge, half again your current Avoidance, and continuous regeneration with (with an advantage) additional pulses every time you dodge an attack.
This is nice when you're LR or Quarry. This is ridiculous when you're regen, like Mewn, or Invuln, like my tank.

I mention this a lot, because really it's something everyone should experience: Being completely invincible. Note Mewn's regen option does not come with an intrinsic damage penalty from BCR so you're free to kick as much rear end as possible... And that's where Elusive Monk comes in!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It's kind of a useless advantage but I always take the garotte wire on Breakaway because it's just so goddamn cool.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Death is the only decent control in ChampO. :clint:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Heavy Weapons has such a bitch of a time maintaining Enrage on its own that yeah, it makes a really great Tiger form attack set. Lots of charges, lots of big meaty attacks, lots of fun.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I used Pestilence for the last five levels on an Infernal character I started as Regen.

With some defense tweaking Regen becomes incredibly potent, such as stacking up dodge/avoidance or wearing 50% resistance bonus primaries.

Pestilence used to be very attractive as it was the only offensive passive that would augment ranged physical damage in some way. It's definitely not the best passive but I will qualitatively state that it does augment damage quite a bit, and the damaging aura around your character actually hits very hard. Between the aura and Devour Essence guys in melee drop with ridiculous speed.

It's not Ice Form, and it covers everything in bugs, but it's not terrible. It's also worth mentioning that the other passives that buff toxic damage output in any way (aside from Quarry) only grant any defense vs elemental attacks, which are uncommon at best.

(Quarry and Invuln are the best passives. :colbert:)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, shatter is Ice's only vehicle for impressive damage and it's unreliable. When it goes off well it does do a chunk of damage, though. The key to a good Shatter isn't just having ice objects nearby, though - it's applying Chilled on all targets in range. Frost Breath is key for this.

People still scoff at Ice as a viable offensive powerset on its own for good reason, though.

Aphrodite posted:

He means Ice Form for Infernal. Toxic damage is part of the Elemental family, so it's raised by Ice and Fiery Forms.

Uncommon is better than the no defense Pestilence offers, though.

This is also why Bluhman mentioned Firesnake in the Infernal Supernatural description block - firesnake debuffs all elemental resistances, so throwing out a firesnake and then an elemental click buff and defile chaining or defile->devour essence is some really impressive damage. Set synergy is great.

And, I do agree - any defense is better than no defense. I did mention I respecced my guy out of Pestilence, didn't I? Well I did.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

With R3 invuln in most circumstances you don't really need R3 IDF. Speaking from experience, it is nice to have, but really benefits your group much better than it does you - you've already got the best protection against bleeds and other quick small hits the game has to offer, and that's what IDF is intended to supplement to the character packing it.

I think IDF scales from a stat most Invuln builds simply will not have; knowing Force this is very likely to be Endurance.

Since I don't think I'm being very clear on the point, the thing that makes IDF a hassle for a good Invuln build is this: You don't get energy returns like Defiance does unless you're using Force Sheath. The power cost increase from IDF becomes something of a *~hassle~* in that light, especially if you're running a Form or Aggressor. If your build is principally Force, as long as you keep Force Sheath up you should be fine, though getting a meaty Cascade off will be uncommon.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Well, there's a plus. I hope they continue tweaking toggle buffs in that same way.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

For all the talk we've been doing about build synergy, you're absolutely right. For about half the powersets in the game right now if you just stick with the powers in the set you'll be able to punch through the whole game. You only need to work on optimization if you want to do ~interesting~ things like soloing Nemcon or Andrithal.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Be sure to take Force Eruption for when you're unleashing the power of your saiya-jin monkey rear end or something.

If you go Defiance and go Str/Int the power cost discount on top of your incoming endurance from being attacked will mean less time spent with your EB.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The big thing that'll intrude on your effectiveness pairing those two specific sets is a general lack of synergy. Darkness doesn't rely on setting anything up, whereas Single Blade relies heavily on applying and then rupturing bleeds.
Also, rupture damage can crit now - it's not AS crit reliant, but crits REALLY help Single Blade.

What I would recommend in terms of specific powers is grabbing Void Shift and Scything Blade + Swallow-Tail Cut, and maybe Dragon's Bite and uh... I guess the bleed form, even though your incoming focus stacks will be minimal regardless. Maybe go with Lightning Reflexes and the Unarmed form.
This way you can use Darkness attacks principally as your damage-dealers, and be able to effectively blink in and drop in some juicy bleeds that you can then refresh (and give yourself a nice chunk of endurance for refreshing, because it's a Dragon attack).
You'll still end up doing most of your damage with Shadow Embrace or Ebon Ruin, but it'll encourage a mobile and flexible playstyle I think.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Ebon Ruin isn't, especially with Nyctophobia, but I see what you mean. The thing is without a high dodge chance his Rush will be pretty pitiful considering his triggers for the other three forms will be infrequent at best.

If you go with Shadow Form, go with the single blade form and just be sure to apply and refresh your bleeds whenever possible between Shadow Embrace and Ebon Ruin.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

FlyinPingu posted:

Power Armor stuff

You left out Concussor Beam, which is the worthwhile hand slot power. Really the big issue with Power Armor is, I think, not the fact that they have such dumb rules regarding what takes up which slot, but how lovely most of the powers are.

You can charge Chest Beam up when you've got minigun and concussor beam going, but it costs so much end you're unlikely to get a full charge off. The bread/butter for most players is going to be micro munitions, minigun, and concussor beam regardless of situation, because those three are awesome.

Any situation where I could have used Chest Beam on my PA character, I used Orbital Cannon instead and used the warmup time to cycle on micro munitions, minigun, and concussor beam to greater effect. It's also pretty kickass looking.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah. For all the flak Power Armor gets for having a completely lovely energy builder and the most obtuse in-set synergy structure in the game, when it works it really works.

Prior to the Gadgeteering pass, Targeting Computer paired with Force Sheath would restore ~60% of your endurance bar per tick, as well, so you could practically blast forever (until you lost your target lock).

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It does. Challenging Strikes and Crippling Challenge are awesome.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Crafted dodge/avoid primary defenses until you can get a lucky blue/purp from a lair or adventure pack.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Usually the minimap radius items will add some amount of friend/foe detection to your map. I, uh... it's handy? But I'd rather have the stats, personally. I ran around with one on for about ten levels as one character and didn't really notice myself using the information I got outside of the Bite! minigame.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Earlier someone asked about a single blade/Darkness hybrid build, and I was wondering how a Dual Pistol/Darkness build would work? I would think DEX/INT would be the key superstats, but beyond that I can't see how the two would fit together.

Asimo posted:

good advice

You're pretty much spot-on with what I'd advise, Asimo. It's an awkward combo but you can make it work.

If you really, really, really, really want to use Dual Pistols powers with darkness, then:
0) superstat dex/int, equip for endurance as well
1) choose Quarry or Defiance, as Asimo advised.
2) If you chose Quarry, take Two-Gun Mojo for your Enrage for Bullet Ballet. If Defiance, just take the Enrage power.
3) Bullet Beatdown
4) Evasive Maneuvers, Void Shift, Killer Instinct, Lifedrain.
Note: Even though there is an advantage on Lock 'n' Load that reduces its cooldown time when you hit with a melee attack, this will be worthless for you as its damage/crit buff only applies to ranged gun attacks and 2GM kinda sucks aside from its Enrage stack at range (and the ability to fire and kite).
You will require an AOE. Whether you go with Shadow Embrace or Lead Tempest is up to you. Shadow Embrace is a much better power in terms of DPS, but Lead Tempest looks p. cool and has much longer range.
For your energy builder, you probably want Gunslinger for the dual pistols 'look' but Steady Shot or Shadow Bolts are more utilitarian; steady shot grants an on-next-hit crit buff, and shadow bolts carry fear for your darkness powers. Note that Lifedrain is MUCH more potent when used on a Feared target, and also note Shadow Embrace is one of the best powers in the game at applying a fear and then exploiting it all in one go. Choose wisely.

Pet powers are optional but useful. Breakaway shot looks cool as hell but is less useful than EM. Holdout Pistol - if it crits - hits like a loving truck and heals you for a ton but don't rely on it; also it has a sideways roll that can and will carry you into, say, the lava in Andrithal if you're not careful (true story).

The point of Dual Pistols is your ability to deliver some really nasty, low-energy melee attacks that crit often and refill your endurance via Killer Instinct. Void Shift brings you in close to do this, 2GM/Enrage keeps them nasty and chaining to nearby targets. But basically, yeah, ironically Dual Pistols are best when not fired. :confused:
So, in short, rage up, flip back, blink in, beat down.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 20, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Whoops, forgot to mention Form of the Tempest as an absolute requirement. Killer Instinct already procs from crits, double energy on each crit is juicy.

Did Lead Tempest get some kind of buff or something that I missed, turning it from a poo poo power with great range into some kind of awesome power? That's several goons now who've been praising it when every time I've ever had it in a build it's underperformed colossally.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

In many of the MAN WITHOUT FEAR issues I had from the late 80s that was the colour he was, I don't see a problem here.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Outside of a few specific items there's virtually no economy in CO, anyway. Playing the AH can only marginally increase your profits, I've found.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I have all the costume sets from the C-store, excepting the ones you unlock through kill achievements, because I did most of those, and the zombie set, which I earned in the first Bloodmoon. :sigh:

And honestly, I'd say, if you know you'd use the pieces from a costume set like all the time, just do it. I will say I use Urban far more than I ever expected to.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Since you don't play much, bag slots might be a good idea so you don't have to spend time trekking back and forth to empty your inventory.

As far as the adventures go, they're nice but hardly necessary (unless you want to farm SL elite blues at 40, that is).

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Doing Teleios Tower, Stronghold, or the Destroid Factory at the levels you acquire the missions for them can also be pretty hard, especially if your group doesn't have a good tank (common) or if you're trying to keep Foxbat alive (good luck).

e: oh you said Lairs. well... :negative:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I've done Mandragalore! I was speaking strictly of pre-40 content.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

IMO retro scifi = lasers and sonic weapons and heat rays and other things that go woobwoobwoob or fweeeee when you shoot them.

Pulp scifi = ACTION SCIENTIST WITH BULLET PISTOL

And the costumes work beautifully for both. :allears:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Compared to CoH's SR model LR in this game is pretty drat awesome. :negative:

Really though, compared to Invuln or Defiance LR does take a lot of love to shine - ideally a LR build will want IDF, BCR+RR, possibly EM to ensure a dodge vs faster attacks - but unlike SR, LR actually does shine.
e: oh but avoid Parry like it's herpes, it's poo poo for LR. If you'd rather chimp out and beat on things and not actively block that much, take Energy Shield with LR. They go together like peanut butter and bananas.

...whereas, if you go Invuln, you just pick up a heal of some sort and go. Unless you want to be "stupid tough" like I did.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 4, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah. I look at defense like a chair. The more "legs" it has (heal/time, damage resistance, damage reduction, etc) the less likely it is to fall down.

...I got that from the CoH forums like seven years ago but it's just as good a metaphor now as it was then.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Unarmed Way of the Warrior builds should use Parry, though.

Unarmed builds up enough dodge and avoidance itself that you can get by using WotW instead of LR (Though you likely still want to have both by 40) and Parry is part of that.

When using LR though, Parry's not worth it because of diminishing returns.

Exactly this. Unarmed won't dish out quite the damage of dual blade, single blade, or claws but it's such a toolbox of defensive maneuvers that you can approximate LR-level defenses in Brawler and still have utterly superior DPS.

Asimo posted:

In practice fighting anything actually worth being durable against you'll wind up with a slow net drain on HP, but that's what active defenses and just murdering the enemy are for.

Next time I'm in-game I'll hop on Eclipse and we can duo something with a really punchy boss on Elite and titter and clink our glasses of scotch together as my health doesn't move.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 4, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The only decent petmaster builds I've seen have been primal majesty or radiant protection, in terms of auras. The ebon aura is just generally not worth it.

With the hit to your energy costs a circle of arcane whatever becomes a pretty appealing option, too.

I strongly urge you to r3 your support drones ASAP. They went from mostly useless, disposable, only good when overtuned to pretty goddamn awesome with the pet pass.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

You also have total control over the eyes, and can select normal maps for your face all on your own, as well as decals.

Considering most of the variety in faces in CoH was the eyes and facial expression, CO's honestly doing pretty good for that.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

That was me, thanks. :v:

I prefer Unstoppable for Might, personally - with Laser Knight you're incredibly tough. Not quite Defiance/Invuln tough but still, my Might character is able to throw down with pretty much anything and come out on top.

For an Unstoppable character, Howl is 1000% better than Enrage for cycling stacks of Enraged!, with Roomsweeper being the choice stack builder. Once you've got 8 stacks, keep on howlin' and you'll keep those 8 stacks for forever.

IMO where Unstoppable wins out is due to the nature of the Brawler role vs Guardian/Protector. The latter don't take any particular hit to their damage, and the former doesn't take any particular hit to its defenses. With Unstoppable's secondary characteristic being damage resistance, and that stacking quite nicely with the bonus resist from Laser Knight, you are seriously unstoppable, a one-man loving wrecking ball.

:siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: was playing a tricked out quarry/gigabolt spammer with me, back before the changes to both powers, and she literally could not keep up. Might hasn't had any real downtuning since then (changes to how knockback resistance is determined for a power's damage boost, really, and that mostly screwed Uppercut - but only a little) so any Might character is still basically going to wreck poo poo everywhere.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

BlueDestiny posted:

On a side note, since we're in the 3-day period for the retro pack do we get it randomly during this period or at the end of it?

It's in the C-Store. There may be some sales or something but it's doubtful the retro pack itself will be on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

This is very important: Can you be a brain outside of a bubble?