Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Arms/mysticism/science determine which end-game crafted costume pieces you can unlock.

Subspecialization determines which action figures you can unlock through crafting. Basically, don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Even before the superstat unlinking from sets, Ice Form was superior for a DPS character because it incorporated Dex and so you could tidily work crits into any elemental build.

Fire was PRE/something which meant fiery form was great for a DPS/pinch heals build.

Also fun to note: Shadow Embrace and Lifedrain come from the left hand, and are Paranormal damage, while non-dual-wielded psychic weaponry are all righthanded (as all weapons are by default). Mixes well, if marginally less effective than either set taken fully-on.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Do yourself a favour and stick Orbital Cannon on your PA guy, and avoid powers outside of Concussor Beam, Minigun, Micro Munitions, and maybe Chest Beam.

420 ridiculously overkill everyspawn.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I miss my zombies/single blade boss rapist. Glad they fixed zombies infinitely applying bleeds, but goddamn that was hilarious.

Outside of some early pre-retcon levels as a gadgeteer and my muni character toting support drones around, that's the most pet build I've ever done, and it's really more a pet-buffed MA build. But it's true - pets are really quite solid right now. I've seen some great pet builds in ZA, too (and... killed them, but the point is they do very well even in that PVP environment.)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

In terms of hitting at least 30% damage increase to powers from either superstat - that's the benchmark for end-level performance, generally speaking. You hit this, at 40, at a little bit over 200 in your SSs. It's a soft cap and can go higher (by a fairly large, if difficult to achieve, margin).

You want to squeeze everything you can out of basically everything, so you can straddle the same slot or juggle a bunch of stats all at once - but like Mewn said, you need some special gear.

STR/DEX works out p. well because MA essentially desires it and you can get STR-heavy primary offenses and dex-heavy primary defenses. It's not an esoteric combo by any means. Frankly, two of any stat works out just fine.. you just might run into some trouble - depending on the stats - if you try to work a third one in.
Most builds can easily get their SSs to 220-230 and get a third stat to at least the upper 80s, with bits and bobs trickling into your other stats. It's when you've got CON/INT superstatted and are pushing STR, PRE, and DEX as well for power or role reasons that things get hairy.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Slutty Sci-Fi Original Movie Monster,

Slutty But We Can't Tell What It Is,

Slutty/Hideous

Those last two should cover most entrants, actually. Hmm.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

I'm pretty sure Defiant Monk is still a top-tier (such as exists) tank build. Defiance, Parry with Elusive Monk, whatever toggle and circle give the best defensive overlap - you wind up hitting the base of the diminishing returns slope in basically every category of defense, with all the half-measures multiplying together to make you essentially unkillable. Plus, you run enough STR and CON to have perma-free Enrage, assuming you skirt around taking a Focus toggle. (Did they remove the rule that makes Focus cancel Enrage? I can't find anything about it on the wiki.)

Martial Arts also works nicely with Quarry. It boosts all physical damage, so it goes poorly with the new dimensional-damage stuff, but it allows you to easily pull in whatever Munitions/Archery/Whatever attacks that suit you. The stats are a little awkward - super-INT is basically required and super-EGO would be a good idea, leaving you with a sideline either in STR or DEX. On the upside, none of your attacks will cost anything, ever!

I also want to point out that Regeneration is still perfectly workable, as long as it's not your only tool - I layer it with Ebon Void, which is just retard-strong on its own.

Defiant Monk is less effective now than just stacking big piles of Con and whatever other superstat you want, taking virtually any block, and just cycling Evasive Maneuvers and Dragon Kick on top of Invuln or Defiance. The buffs from the advantage on DK and EM last a lot longer than Parry's dodge bonus, and it leaves your block open for a stronger overall block (Energy shield) or an additional end recovery unlock (Force shield).

I did this with invuln, form of the tiger, and force shield+sheath and it is basically unkillable. I went with Int as my other superstat, but geared for some dex and str for my form energy returns and melee damage.

Quarry is my favourite offensive passive. R3 for functionality, R2+advantage for a quirky regen effect from clearing trash mobs. You can stack dodge on it using either method described above for bonus excellence.

Oh, and if you go with Ebon Void as a block with Regen you absolutely want to take its advantage. Once your block builds up almost nothing can kill you, outside of disabling your block.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 1, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Benjamin Black posted:

Oh hey, look. Travis Touchdown-esque beam katanas.

Those have been in the game since launch. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I particularly like Infernal, personally, but as a new player you should be cautious of how many retcons you end up doing. You probably don't have 6+ banked like some of us do.