Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bluhman posted:

The newest patch brings us a bug: Whenever you put away weapons, your character EXPLODES.

Well, they make an explosion sound whenever putting weapons away.

This has hilarious implications for griefing. EX: Walk into club caprice, repeatedly use lead tempest/sword cyclone/eye of the storm/brimstone and block to make a series of very loud explosion noises.

Is that what that is? I've been hearing explosions all day and kept looking around to see where it was coming from. I wasn't getting that it was tied to weapons, because in my case it was playing when my character lowers her fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So I just picked this game up Free-to-Play a few days ago, and I'm really having a blast. I'm playing as the Behemoth archetype, which seems to be one of the better solo archetypes. (My initial attempts to solo as an Inferno archetype did not work out so well.)

And god drat if I cannot stop playing dress-up. Just when I think I've seen everything in the character creator, there are whole pull-downs I didn't even notice.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Roomsweeper is amazing, but I think Mighty Leap is my current favorite power (at level 14). Being able to dash between dudes quickly, stun them, and knock their buddies away (I got the upgrade that does that) is really fun.

Also, I did some Hero Games for the first time today. My take away: Behemoths are useless in Cage Matches and awesome in Zombie Apocalypse. I'm debating whether I'll be doing enough PVP to make the "Pinned to the Ground" advantage worth it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

I don't PVP and probably never will, but you definitely want Crippling Challenge for both PVP and PVE. Whether you toss it on Mighty Leap or Defensive Combo's a matter of preference, anyway. While it's a taunt, if you're solo it's not like this matters, but it breaks through and temporarily disables blocking (not a big deal in PVE even if there's a handful of enemies that do it, but of obvious PVP use) and also drops a 20% damage debuff on the target. Since Defiance can hit 75% damage resistance at max stacks, this gives an even crazier amount of reduction. Definitely worth the three points, just be careful with whatever attack it was in late-game PVE grouping if you aren't the designated tank.

Oh wow. I clearly didn't read the description closely enough. I just saw "Draws more aggro" and said "Well, I'm mostly playing solo, so no need for this! :v:" Definitely gonna pick it up.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

Yep. :woop: There's basically no reason to carry that crap around.

:stare:

This is the best MMO ever...made.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Pimpmust posted:

There I was, feeling like a total bad rear end goin' all Black Dynamite on a small army through the jungle instance to save my UNTIL bros. Demons? Demons in my base? I can dig. This aint so hard. Just need to kite and pick off the right targets first. AK-47 versus the world, allllright.

Oh.

Boss fight.

Let's do this :black101:

About ten minutes later:
:gonk:

Turns out that Despair Incarnate is a pretty hard boss fight for a level 10 soldier :ohdear:

Indeed he is. I think I was about the same level when I fought him (though I'm pretty sure that whole thing scales, anyway). I really only won because for a while he bugged out and just let me wail on him. Using a shield really helped, too.

The main thing which makes him hard is that the room is so small you can't get away from both him and his minions. With the amount of health he has, hit-and-run tactics are necessary, but you kinda need to hope he and his buddies get stuck on a polygon somewhere for it to work.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I just threw on all the devices I had. Healing patches, shields, grenades, a wierd...flamethrower thing I didn't even remember picking up. Of course, I'm playing Behemoth, so I was able to tank him a little. Still probably my hardest fight so far. I think he killed me twice before I got him.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
As bad as they all are, that Iron Man really isn't even trying.

So I rolled an Alt today, and I learned something: the teleport travel ability is nuts. I don't know how many people have tried it, but it's definitely the most fun travel power I've played with, and definitely fitting if you're playing any kind of mysticism character (like my alt is). Now I'm teleporting everywhere I go, even if it's just a few feet. I'm loving Ganon over here.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

repLOLican posted:

This a hundred million times. What is it with pubbies, horrible knockoffs, and picking the most over-saturated color on the palette? At least get the coloring right if you aren't creative enough to use the costume pieces to the right effect. :gonk:

Y-yeah, what idiot uses...garishly over-saturated colors on their...um...superhero?

I think need to go to the tailor, now. :ohdear:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

delfin posted:

6) The Grimoire. A support build in a game where most won't team much. AoPM boosts all your stats nicely, you get a self-heal, and Skarn's Bane is a quality maintain zap. Eldritch Shield is a good block power. Still, you'll have to be careful with how much you aggro at once, because it won't be hard to be overwhelmed.

I just started a Grimoire, playing mostly solo, and it is not that hard. You can take on pretty much anything so long as you do a little planning beforehand. Sigils of Arcane Runes are ridiculously useful when a group of enemies tries to get in your face. And even if you take damage you aren't completely made of paper like Inferno (which was not fun trying to solo with).

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

FlyinPingu posted:

But yeah I'd totally shell out like 10 dollars to build my own sidekick. Probably couldn't let your freeform them as that would horribly break the game, but making a guy and slapping an archetype on him would be pretty cool.

I've yet to put any money into this game, but this here would get my :10bux: easily.

You'd probably have to make sidekicks work more like summonable pets rather than have them constantly in-world. If nothing else so your sidekick inevitably getting stuck on a wall would be less of an issue.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I feel like this is a larger problem in MMORPGs in general. Trying to convince people to group with you in the area chat is so unnatural, as is sending out invites to anyone who might just be passing by. There are so many better ways you could handle it.

In fact, I've often thought it would be awesome if an MMORPG had a dedicated "Team with Me" button. You stand in place and press it, and your character strikes a pose and glows, indicating to anyone who sees you that you're looking for a group. Then people just have to click you once and they're instantly grouped, with you as group leader. So if you're going to do an instance and want to form a team for it, you just stand in front of the instance entrance, press the button, and wait for a few people to join up.

You could also do "passive teaming," similar to something like Spiral Knights. If you have Passive Teaming turned on, when you enter an instance at the same time other Passive Teaming-enabled players are entering the same instance, you will automatically be teamed and appear in the same instance.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Bah, what's a superhero need with a 60s Retro Moonbase? That's 100% supervillain territory, right there.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

WarLocke posted:

Don't think I could come up with a concept that fits all of them.

Pokemon Trainer.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

BlueDestiny posted:

Finally we can recreate the Mighty Ducks cartoon.

Mighty Ducks. Pfft, I think I know what really needs to happen...

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

The uh, conversation earlier here reminds me of something I've mentioned in game before. Namely, how when you find some "sexy gurl" costume that's obviously done by a guy, bustiers and bare skin and all that stuff, take a good look at the character's face. More often than not, even with costumes that otherwise look like their creator spent a lot of time on them, the face is some sort of horrible derpy downs-mutant :downs: with widely-set eyes, a too-tiny nose, enormous fish mouth, and all sorts of similar things. Part of this is due to the default settings for female faces being horrible, but it isn't that hard to make a good looking one, and it shows either the creator's complete artistic ineptitude, or the fact they were focused... elsewhere while making it.

I've yet to be able to get the female face sliders into a configuration which doesn't look like a soulless plastic doll no matter how hard I try. I would disagree that it isn't hard to make a good looking one.

Honestly, the face is completely ruining the look of the female behemoth who's currently my main. I'd love any pointers you could offer.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

WarLocke posted:

I absolutely suck with the character sliders. I'll generally just take one of the default female faces, decrease mouth width and eye size, and call it a day. Because if I start fiddling with individual sliders I'll just get a mongoloid look. Similarly, I generally just pick a default body (I like Slim) and shrink the man-hands a bit.

The male face creation kinda sucks too if you're trying for anything realistic, but it works well enough if you're going for a kind of super-exaggerated Mr. Incredible look.

And I always go with premade body types because Jesus that can go off the rails in a hurry.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Relevant to recent discussion: Best Use of Body/Face Sliders

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

And yeah, the retro sci-fi pack will be premium (like most everything they release these days, for better or worse).

As a currently F2P user, I can't say I hold their recent premium releases against them. It's a good combination of seeming worth the money while also not making me feel cheated if I don't have it. The amount of free content is still hefty enough that I've yet to hit up against a pay wall when I really, really wanted to do something. I'm sure I'll get there, eventually, but by that point I'll probably have put so much time into the game that tossing a few dollars their way seems polite.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is it possible to just start a character over again at level 1 and not have to redo the costume? I finally got my sci-fi character looking how I want and then I went and picked gadgeteering and it's just awful and not any fun at all but I like how she looks :negative:

I'm pretty sure you can Save a costume at the tailoring station and then Load it when building a new character.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

Lenin's Radioactive Brain! :zombie:

I'm kind of amazed it fit into the name space.

That's kinda similar to the very first character I rolled (now deleted). He was an Inferno archetype who looked like a robot, however the idea was that he was actually a tiny little fire alien piloting a human-sized robot suit. He comes from a planet of tiny fire aliens, where his suit was used to defend the people from "giant" (relative to them) monsters attacking their cities.

It was adorable, but I quickly decided I hated playing Inferno.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ColHannibal posted:

Newbie question, but purchased costume packs can be applied to Nemeses too, right?

If so I am totally buying that pack to make my arch nemesis Carmen Sandiego.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
"Superhero in Mid-Life Crisis"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Is the "Location TBA" thing also facetious? I'm confused. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
"Joe Don Baker"

The category is not necessarily "Most Like Joe Don Baker." The category is simply "Joe Don Baker."