Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Looking at the CO wiki, I see the elite mode Resistance item (bigass wings). But the wiki is of course poorly laid out so there doesn't seem to be any sort of "show me poo poo I can only get on elite" link, and the non-Resistance adventure pack pages seem to be outdated and organized differently. Typical Champs community, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

LaserShark posted:

So, if I were - hypothetically - kinda interested in getting into this, does subbing seem the way to go? The F2P archetype selection is laughably limited, especially coming away from CoH.

My advice: find somewhere selling the boxed game for cheap. Note that you can only use one retailer box per account, so don't buy 10 copies from Amazon, as you can only use one Amazon copy. I've got Amazon and Best Buy on my account, wish I could find a cheap Walmart and Gamestop copy. Note that some of these will also come with extra costume parts or some real-money game currency too.

You can also contact amazon sellers who have the timecards cheap, and ask them if they'd be willing to just email you the code and not bother shipping the actual thing to you to save a few bucks.

Although I did that last one and the dude emailed them to me and then also mailed me actual ones, which worked out well for me of course, but still kinda lame as the communication seemed clear enough to me but I guess not.

Edit: Also to all the new people, :pcgaming: Free poo poo here :pcgaming:

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle
Should still work. Gives you an Archetype, and a costume set. Also an adventure pack, but those are free in general now I think anyway.

For more free poo poo, play the game via steam and you should get some items (I think I got a sidekick?). You may have to make your account through it though, not 100% sure. There is also a bonus (that is ending very soon I guess) for linking your Cryptic account to a Perfect World account, feel free to take advantage of that.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 8, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Play with a controller! :science:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno, I had fun trapping enemies in ice cages or whatever with the ice powers archetype. That was a long rear end time ago, maybe things have changed? Or perhaps I'm thinking too broadly and you are referring to specific hold moves?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is when your gold lapses and you want to play your now-gold-silvers still. I just keep separate gold and silver characters, and sometimes will convert silvers into golds and freeform them if I like them enough. So while I'm subbed I have a bunch of gold 40s and whatnot to play, when I'm not I have...a magician luchador that I've barely touched.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Note that the game has decided to for some reason lock out a lot of the costume options until you have cleared the tutorial at least once, I think. It was that way last time I played anyway.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Try asking the sellers, sometimes they will open and email you a code instead of shipping it. Ask them first though. Although sometimes they will say they will, do it, and then also send you boxed ones, and expect you to pay for the extra shipping anyway. Dunno what happened there.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So I've hit 40 on gold characters while subbed but i'm unsubbed now. I will get that archetype and be able to play it unsubbed right? If so, cool, guess I have a reason to reinstall this later this year.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I swear every time I go to the website to look at sales in the store, they have changed to another host service completely. Do they not have the on-the-website store anymore where I can check my balance and poo poo?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Archonex posted:

"Sudden Human Combustion Syndrome". A disease that causes random civilians on the street to burst into flame, screaming as they graphically have their flesh and clothing burnt off. :stonk:

Can we get this as a power?

edit: The audio playing in my head now is MELTMAN, WITH THE POWER TO...MELT

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 8, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So I thought all you had to do to get that new archetype was have someone at level 40? I have 4 gold characters at 40, but I'm currently silver and the archetype is greyed out. Do I need to either level a silver to 40 or buy gold to get it or what?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that is lovely as all my 40s are freeforms too.

Here I was thinking this thing was a move to get people like me who haven't played in ages to go ahead and play through a silver character this time but lol nope subscribe or die what else is new.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I just built a new computer and accidentally bought a 60 day time card when I already had one so I will probably be playing this again sometimes across the winter. Anyone have plans to do any kind of active current group or weekly party nights or anything?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Glacier was my first character and I enjoyed it. Disciple is hilariously easy most of the time, was fun.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The digital aura interest me, but I haven't really played since auras were introduced. Am i reading this right that I'd have to pay 400+ points for it, then get them all, but only on one character?

If so that's....loving dumb. If it's buy once use on everyone as I see fit, then hell yes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the aura info guys, that's less dumb than I first thought. I don't see why auras can't just be a costume option, but whatever they gotta make money I suppose.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That's ok, most of my gold characters are ripoffs from comics or video games and my silver is a magician/luchadora.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Better be two players going around as Max and Miriya like day one with that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Grabbed the free slot and also bought one on sale with spare zen and...I really can't tell if I have more slots or not now. I forgot how many I had from logging in to getting new ones. Not like I ever have time to play anyway.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bluhman posted:

Any interested costumeophile goons, the last few weeks they've been severely beefing up the tailor with extra options. For example you can now wear bracers with any kind of hand option, hairs and bird beaks are basiccally allowed on any head type, and a ton of costume options have been bugfixed. The changelog for even just the first week is colossal.

Upcoming next week, they're planning to make it so that you can use two hairstyles at once, so look forward to a ton of costume flexibility.

It's a good time for dressup. :allears:

Oh gently caress I might have to try and find time to get back into this then. Hell yes dressup.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

malhavok posted:

Ready to try this dead game! ok, what's the most op build? i have no idea what to do.

The archetype that looks like a Jedi is really easy and fun to max level.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to make that automaton AT and I have come up with this costume

http://i.imgur.com/R296GF3.png

But I have no idea what the hell to call him. Anyone have any good brain jokes or something?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

I feel like they are ignoring my request to merge my cryptic account so I cant log in in time.

My girlfriend is going through the same process and it's been a huge, slow, pain in the rear end.

edit: as soon as I posted this they had it fixed :v:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

Did they send an email when it was done?

Yeah they did.

how awful of a name for my brain guy would "Si vis pacem, cerebellum" be? or 9mm Cerebellum, I suppose. Brain jokes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

Well still nothing, oh well I guess I really did now want to play this again.

Mecha Nixon will not be returning.

Apparently the big sticking point for getting hers back was the 25 digit retail code, so if you still have that around try sending them that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bluhman posted:

The Winter Event's started proper today.

And holy gently caress There's a ton of new costume unlocks. Some new Steampunk unlocks, curling sticks, toy limbs - all gotten via farming tokens from Clarence the knockback teddy and Black Harlequin's alert. (it's super grindy though :suicide:)

The Qstore also has some Ice material unlocks and The Old OLD crafting costume unlocks available, so if you have any spare questionite lying around you're in luck. There's now a fair reason to convert your Zen to Questionite now, so hopefully the Q exchange will correct itself with this newfound value.

Is there a list of all this stuff, preferably with pictures, somewhere?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bluhman posted:

No formal list, but the previews for the update did have some thumbnails that show off all the stuff that can be gotten:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9685703-champions-online%3A-black-harlequin-and-holiday-event-return%21

right clicking and opening the images in a new tab will view them in full resolution it turns out.

Neat, thanks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Buy time cards from amazon!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've been sort of playing a character with punch/kick moves and missile launching powers as their main things. Also munitions robots. Are there any skills that would make these work together well? It's champs so I'm sure I could get them to 40 even if they're uselessly broken, but I figured I should ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
buy timecards on amazon with prime shipping

or since you are new, you can just buy up old boxed copies to start with