Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

sentrygun posted:

So wait, the rare 1% chance that you do land the teddy bear beam it just makes it almost pointless to try hitting an enemy for the duration? So Experimental Beam is entirely useless. :shepface:

The teddy-bear transform probably enables you to get roughly 1-big nukes-worth of damage in over the course of the entire transformation. I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's certainly more novel than practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Oh boy, there's a new build on the PTS. To sum up what's going on here:
- The Powerhouse Updates are underway. Soon everything will be white in there; you will be able to modify your costumes inside there and even have a dedicated theater for holding costume contests. Seems still in progress, though, as the 'arena' section is still under construction and the old parts of the Powerhouse are still present and unaltered.

- The costume creator and character creation got an overhaul. You can now change your character's proportions from any point in the process. Instead of being greeted with a big hex menu of classes mashed together for archtypes, they are now separated into sections based on their team role, including: "Ranged", "Tank", "Melee", "Hybrid", and "Support". Even cooler: These archtypes now have default outfits associated with them.

- The Mountain archtype is currently looking like this:
Superstats: Con/End
Level 1: Stone Shot(Basic AoE ranged attack) + Wield Earth(Combined melee/ranged energy builder)
Level 6: Tremor(Charged PBAoE attack that knocks people around.)
Level 8: Lightning Reflexes(Weirdly enough)
Level 11: Cave In(Single target ranged attack) OR Upheaval(Uppercut-like attack that's slightly stronger in melee range)
Level 14: Stone Shroud(Earth block. Doesn't seem to actually do anything special.)
Level 17: Landslide (Earth lunge with a 'stagger', a defensive debuff with little tactical application, kind of like disorient) OR Seismic Smash (A powerful lunge with a 15-second recharge, an AoE hit, and the same stagger thing.)
Level 22: Quicksand (PBAoE that sucks targets inward towards you)
Level 27: Unbreakable
Level 32: Faultline (Cylindrical smash of earth. Charged and knocks targets upwards.)
Level 40: Fissure (Summons an invisible pet that does constant and low ticks of smashing damage to things around it.)
Basically a fairly interesting tank that seems to have some sort of mixed defenses to its name? I don't know, it has a lot of mixed ranged stuff I guess.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Oh, also adding to that, they're planning to change the functionality of some stats. The example they gave was that DEX will no longer influence Critical Severity, making it effectively operate like it did before the Ego Blades pass. On the other hand, EGO now no longer has any effect on criticals; neither severity or chance. Instead, you will have a higher base critical severity that can be further increased by taking specialized items. EGO is essentially planned to transform into a ranged STR; it will buff ranged attacks up to a 20% limit based on how much you've got. Related to that, the STR and EGO damage percent buffs based off of this are no longer a hard cap; if you stat either one a lot, you will be able to get above a 20% buff.

Ame posted:

You'll also be seeing changes to the Stats themselves, and to Roles, in the upcoming weeks. An example of those changes - Dexterity is going back to the old way it worked, just providing Crit Chance and Aggro Stealth. At the same time, Ego will no longer provide Crit Chance or Crit Severity - it will now be providing a Ranged Damage bonus, similar to how Strength provides a Melee Damage bonus. How that bonus works for both of them is also being changed to a soft cap at 20%, instead of the hard cap currently in place. Crit Severity will be set to a higher base percentage, and increasing it will no longer come directly from stats.

Roles are being reviewed at this time as well, to go along with all of these changes. /EDIT
-Ame

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Right, speaking of costumes going wrong, Shr3d convinced me that we should hold a Costume Contest sometime soon. Against some of my better judgement, I will be hosting and providing all the funds for it (If anyone else is willing to step up to the plate for hosting, please, feel free).

I'm feeling most comfortable with 5 categories. The only things left to determine here are what the categories should be and which weekend it should be based on when people can show up. So, post potential times and categories you'd like to judge!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Character designs are about to get complex.

Basically, these are bonus sets you take at levels 10, 20, 30 and 40 that fit class roles. (I.E. at level 10, you can choose a set of 8 abilities that can be ranked up to add special bonuses to ranged damage, such as increasing initial attack power or the strength of maintains.) Looks like there could be a lot of stacking of similar trees, as well as a bit of flexibility in designing a character for balance or pure specialization. Of course, silvers have tree choices already chosen out for them.

E: To anyone who wants to check out what they've done so far, it's on the Public Test Server now (keeping in mind that it's probably horribly buggy). This CO thread has info on how to use the PTS. (keep in mind that silver players cannot access the test shard.)

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 10, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

http://www.champions-online.com/character_profiles/user_characters/xxxxxxx
You can use the URL above to browse peoples' characters by their @name (replacing the x's). Unless they've hidden their own characters, you'll be able to read their bios.

The PRIMUS Database might also have come leads, though those tend to gravitate towards verbose more often than not. Still, there's a random button, so you can see what sorts of ridiculous stuff you come across using that.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Guess I'll attempt to explain such changes.

So instead of having two superstats that boost two abilities, you will now have a main superstat and two minor superstats, which get a boost, but don't bolster your damage output as your main one.

Also, you will only have one secondary equipment slot to work with, but at the same time a lot of bonuses that can work off of equipment perks, such as items that boost your offense or defense.

Because your primary superstat is going to have a spec tree associated with it, it's important that you choose one with good bonuses that precisely fit what you're trying to do.

Information on what the specialization trees hold. All of them, that is.

STR: The spec tree includes a lot of bonuses that increase your health and make you capable of fighting much more effectively in melee range. While the primary function of this stat is still boosting melee damage and knock stats, the specials it gets pretty much makes it perfect for normal melee combattants, whether they're offensive-geared or defensive.

DEX: Dex has a nice spec tree that works as the substitute for the EGO stat. That is, the specials it gets increase critical severity and have other related effects. DEX also bolsters some dodge abilities, so it's an excellent stat to focus on if you either are a dodge tank, or use any sort of critical mechanics; DEX is good for both melee and ranged.

CON: This is, without a doubt, the tank stat. All its specializations focus on mechanics that make you take more damage, resist bad effects, and even work off of taking hits. It's not as focused as STR is, so if you're a ranged tank or just really want a character with a big focus on defense, CON's your stat.

INT: This one's got some pretty neat bonuses that allow you to act faster, get some energy bonuses, and actually boost your side-stats. For a mixed bag of bonuses, INT seems to get some pretty neat perks and could probably work alright if you plan to make an all-rounded character with a focus on energy management.

EGO: Ego's now the go-to stat for ranged damage. If you are in any way a ranged DPS fighter, Ego should be a secondary stat. Its superstat bonuses are pretty weird, though, so it's probably better off if you stick with another one of the superstats than EGO.

PRE: Presence gets its focus here as a healers' stat, with bonuses that bolster the effectiveness at which you heal. It's a bit light on offensive boosts, however, so if you're not planning on becoming a dedicated healer, leave this as a secondary stat.

REC: Recovery is still a horrible stat, and it has really blase bonuses to back it up that don't work to its natural benefits at all. REC on its own grants some bonus health recovery, however, but it's quite miniscule. Taking Conviction could probably heal you faster than this stat ever could.

END: Endurance is pretty neat, and has some bonuses that can work for it in a lot of situations for offense and defense. It's not very focused on any single aspect, but the way its bonuses are crafted to actually work directly with the super-stat involved makes it seem pretty good.

To put it simply, the actual base bonuses each stat offers matter less; it's now much more about focusing on a primary superstat for its tree bonuses, followed by secondary superstats that will bolster it well. Basically, to sum up each stat without going in depth:

STR: Melee DPS
DEX: DPS/Dodge
CON: Tanking
INT: Control/Mixed
EGO: Ranged DPS
PRE: Healing
REC: Jack of all trades (master of none)
END: DPS/Energy handling/Mixed

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Well it's not that it's gotten any worse, it's just that, especially with the coming update, all the other stats are going to have tweaks to what they do and appropriate bonuses that make them effective. REC just gets a mash of moderate bonuses, some of which don't really make much sense (A bonus that effects the potency of 'accelerated metabolism', a 1 pt advantage that only works roughly 20% of the time. Or boosting other stats based on your non super stats.)

So, yeah, if you need a ton of energy, REC's excusable as a focal stat. With the upcoming update, though, I'd be hard-pressed to find a real dedicated use for it as your primary stat.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

As far as free AT's go, I don't think you can get much more solid than 'The Unleashed'. It has got one big leg up on the others in that it can actually heal itself pretty well with Rank 3 Bountiful Chi Resurgence. That, and it has access to some fairly good attacks and defenses (Dragon's Wrath, Force Geyser, Eye of the Storm.)

The Squall (thanks to hurricane) is an unstoppable killing machine at early levels. I'd assume the Cursed/Scourge is the same way for entirely different reasons.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

It all seems really haphazard to me now, but I've found the two most reliable sources to be
A: Unity Missions
and
B: Serpent Lantern and other Adventure Packs
Basically, anything BUT alerts is likely to drop equipment drops of around green+ quality. Hell, I've gotten purples out of nowhere on some UNITY runs.

Cleretic posted:

I was gonna suggest Champions Online - Free CP for all!

I could've sworn we called it CPoints back in my day, but whatever floats the boat!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

New stuff that's coming along is still quite nebulous. In rough order of when to expect stuff, though, there's:

-10-person alerts against some squids and far eastern architecture or something.
-10-person alerts with very badly designed player-made villains. There's a distinct possibility there might be 2 freons. :what:
-Maybe some zone involving the moon in the far far future; possibly after they somehow raise the level cap to 50.

The best way to get re-equipped at 40 is to basically do Unity daily missions at level 40. Mobs in mission instances drop stuff somewhat frequently, and because it's Unity missions, the drops will always be at level 40. Completing missions in the daily can net you roughly 19 Silver Champions points; collect 35 of those and you can buy Purple Primaries that give you access to 3 mod slots, allowing for some pretty keen fine-tuning on your 40.

Or you can brave the RNG of Serpent Lantern and the fact that Bosses drop double items. Running Generator Charlie over and over guarantees a lot of enemy slaughter, and can be done every 5 minutes. Pretty effective at creating stockpiles of specific level items of Green to Blue quality.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 30, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Do note that, as far as I know, the Demon costume unlocks are still bugged in that they will only unlock on the character you used the item with. In addition, if it was one of the fire demon costume parts (a bunch of horns of some sort) and you used the item on a female character... Well, it's entirely possible that a model doesn't exist for female skeletons so :suicide:

If it's the part I think you're referring to, it looks to me like your usual leg pattern unlock.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Most of the costume unlocks work correctly; it's just stuff that's from Fire Demons, the DEMON cult, and some of the Lemurian parts (though the loincloth unlocks just fine).

For stuff like boss unlocks, however, I wouldn't really know. And some of the Primus 90s stuff is weird (there is literally 1 unlock in that set that doesn't apparently do anything; I think it's the goggles).

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

It used to. Serpent Lantern bosses dropped 2x the items when defeated (in fact, they still do.) Because of this, you could kill them repeatedly on Elite and get some of the best gear in the game: blue-quality drops with some amazing stat bonuses.

Now, since all difficulties have the same drops, that trick doesn't work out well anymore. All you get for high-difficulty missions is slightly more experience per kill, which doesn't matter that much in comparison to the big EXP drop from completing missions.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

One of the big things the Invincible did, speaking as someone who didn't buy it, is prove to me that, apparently, my Scourge is in the higher echelon of tanks in alerts if we consider 'holding villain's attention and not dying too quickly' the primary determiner of a tank's success.

Is it because there's no real way to get aggro off of someone for a tank, or do all the people playing tank ATs in alerts just think they're DPS?

Yeah, that factor is pretty much what determines if you're a tank or not.

One of the big problems is that F2P people usually don't realize the whole schtick about Challenging Strikes/Crippling Challenge, and don't take these costly advantages on their attacks.

Another more concerning problem is with the Tank role itself; it generates more threat by default, but loses damage in exchange, thus lowering the innate threat caused by the base attack. Lower energy in the Tank role also means they have a harder time keeping up a consistent attack, which is another determining factor in aggro management. Of course, because these players are locked into this semi-broken role, they simply aren't going to do anywhere near as well as custom-crafted tanks.

And this is because of the Bulwark specialization in the Protector tree; when you're running in hybrid, it causes you to generate a pretty sizable amount of threat per attack, essentially turning that into the players' tank role. So not only are they generating good threat from the specialization, they're able to attack more consistently with their energy reserve, and cause more base damage per attack. And that is why a freeform tank can leave an AT in the dust.

(Unless, of course, their DPS is thrown out-of-whack due to AT bonuses. A level 40 void can apparently out-damage and out-aggro a level 40 freeform martial artist with 102% severity. And I hold boss aggro roughly 90% of the time on that build.)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Depends on the time of the day. There are usually people on around primetime, though a bunch of them never speak.

I might be guilty in this regard. :shobon: Just shout out and I might tag along for something in the bizarre hours of the day.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

• At least 50% composed of unlocks just for the hell of it (hey look at me I bought the cyberpunk set, have all the alert boss unlocks, and I'm a 900 day vet. Let's slap it all on in an incoherent jumble.)
  • Only one to two colors on entire outfit
  • Maximum-height male
  • Minimum-height female
  • Only won because of the name (or costume unrecognizable as what it is without name)
  • Costume uses every possible item slot available (and the result doesn't happen to look good)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Look at pictures of those guys. Aquaman is teal and orange mostly, but also has golden detail parts, such as his belt (and at least one design throws in black.) Superman's logo and belt incorporate the color yellow. Heck, even the Green Lanterns, which are almost entirely green and black, have a tiny smidgen of white in their insignia. You say most classic hero color schemes use only two colors, I can't think of any who do. :colbert:

But mainly, I'm talking about a color scheme that literally was "I am going to use the automatic coloring tool with two colors 'cause I can't be assed to do it manually!"

E: colors are not proper nouns.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Be a healer or dedicated tank, is all I've got to say.

It isn't much better against Gravitar, either, with Pubbies who will run towards you when they have a giant AoE of holding on top of their head.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Basically, Champions Online has a much better costume creator than DCUO as well as a much more flexible character creator, while DCUO's setup is more structured overall.

As a side note for Asmio I've updated my primer on stats with info on spec trees. Will probably throw in info on items as well.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I forgot; I was supposed to also tell you to remove the links to the other powerset guides since they're all horribly outdated :downs:.

But yes. DCUO's combat is faster-paced. From what I've heard (having not actually played it), it is most optimally played with a gamepad.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

New minor update; Drifter's now offering up a new daily mission where you kill Red-Banner treasure hunters. The upside is that it's extremely easy to farm; the Artifact Hunters almost always drop stuff, and you get a choice between a Questionite Reward (of 500) and a token grab bag.

The downside is that he's selling weapons from that melee-weapons pack. I.E. the weapon pack that nobody bought.

Also, A questionite store transform set that turns you into an ugly runed samurai and has a bonus that makes your physical attacks a bit stronger.

Special tips:
  • You can set up a bind that allows you to easily hound out any targets you need to hunt down for the mission. Try /bind u "target artifact hunter".
  • The items that the mobs drop can actually be transferred to your bank account. If you do this, you can stockpile the drops and then extract them when you're ready for another daily mission run, allowing you to complete the daily with just a short run.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 19, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The mysticism crafting unlocks are easily the least impressive. Just some alternate body textures, some chinese-dragon shaped jewelry, and a popped-collar with holes in it.

Either way, the new wizard set is probably going to be pretty bitchin' from what I saw leaked in the tailor glitch that was on the PTS once.

E: can actually view what you missed out on in this useful thread.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

With the upcoming Nighthawk update, it's very possible to use stacking Evasive Maneuvers/Night Warrior/Sneak/Smoke bombs to be stealthed forever. :ninja:

Or at least that's what one player says. They might fix it when all that stuff gets off the PTS.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, for some completely stupid reason, you have to complete the tutorial at least once to get most of the default costume pieces available in the character creator/tailor. After you get through that and explore the creator a bit, it becomes more second nature.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Al Baron posted:

Can anyone give me thoughts on either The Master or The Invincible? I was leaning towards The Master, but then they've apparently added Iron Man since the last time I've played.

The Master (and by extension, the Fist) have the best melee frameworks in the game; they not only do solid damage with criticals, but the Martial Arts set is loaded with knocks and stuns that keep enemies at bay. The Master is no exception to this, and can easily use attacks like Dragon Kick and Inexorable tides to stunlock enemies to death, or at least grievously damage them. The Master is also unique as being one of the few AT's to have a self heal in Bountiful Chi Resurgence, obtained at level 30. The self-heal, which can get extra bursts on successful dodges with its advantage, means that it's very solid among other Archtypes.

On the other side, the Invincible currently has the high-ground in that it can do more damage and hits a much wider area than the Master, isn't as reliant on dodge chance, and still holds a very solid defense against rapid attacks. It gets a lot of good attacks (Chest Beam) and defenses (Reconstruction Circuits) early on in its leveling up. Compared to the Master, however, it's a lot more complex to use, and you'll have to know when to activate your different weapon systems in order to avoid accidentally hitting non-aggravated targets. The other problem is that it isn't as good at locking-down or disabling enemies as Martial Arts is, so be ready to block if you can't interrupt an enemy in time.

So, go Master if you aren't confident in working with 3000 toggles and like to use abilities that stop enemies before they can unleash attacks, and go Invincible if you want to blast the hell out of your foes from afar and got a good eye on your energy bar.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The vehicles are invisible.

Not intentional, obviously.

The first vehicle implemented was actually Wonder Woman's jet.

1000MB Patches take forever. Let's see how clunky/weird flying an invisible plane can be!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The new Nighthawk costume set is completely broken, in that the parts have no native categories. This makes it a double-edged sword.

On one hand, you have to use the part search to apply boots and bracers. And apply material settings individually. Kind of annoying. The Dragon Armor parts and Gravitar parts have similar problems.

On the other hand, this means you can now wear a (specific) hood while using any other kind of head. I.E. wearing a hood while having a beasts' head, or having a hood with a high collar. If you use it under the category of "huge rigid helmets" (or fully-opaque bubble helms) you can have a hood without a head.

Same technically applies for every other part in the set. You can also have his chestpiece while also having no arms. Or cause horriffic clipping with his boots on a pair of baggy pants.

So, laziness we can all benefit from. Ghost knights rejoice.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, the powerhouse is pretty much the best character builder available for the game right now. Currently, it doesn't have the new Nighthawk stuff, and I don't quite like how it lacks the precise numbers for the powers, but I'd say it does a serviceable job of letting you plan out a build.

If you really need the exact numbers for how much damage things do/how much energy/how much bonus/etc, I'd suggest checking out the CO-Wiki

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

coconono posted:

how's this for a melee DPS with a dose of survivability:

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=4&n=&d=1143abABidcM3m0900BI100I70BIA00IC0D9A00I603IL00IJ0BIK0BIH00I400I80DI9003bDC00jv3bhx

I use the wrist bolters to close distance, charge and create aggro. Then when I get duders clumped together, they get AoE knockback attacks. Survivors and lone guys will get hit with more AoE or single target stuff.

So, you chose good superstats and good specializations.

There's a few problems. First off, your Targetting Computer passive is only going to boost the damage of your Technology attacks. The number of attacks you have from the Tech tree roughly sums up to 1: Your energy builder. Since your energy builder is by and large your least damaging attack (and also not melee), you probably will want a more fitting passive, like Unstoppable or Way of the Warrior.

While we're still on passives, your build has two (fake edit: It actually has THREE?!?), but can only use one at any given time. Given that, Defiance isn't a bad defensive passive, but taking up two different power slots for things you can only use one of at a time isn't probably quite optimal.

Fake Edit: So, yeah. Get rid of Targetting Computer and Defiance; No reason to really use anything other than unstoppable. Put stuff like Enrage and Conviction in its place for more damage and survivability.

Another issue is that your build doesn't have any self-heals. That really is the key to making a good, sturdy damage role. Get a reliable self-heal from something like Conviction, Bountiful Chi Resurgence, or Bionic Shielding, and you're going to find that you'll be much more survivable; especially when running in Hybrid mode.

You're taking a lot of "Accelerated Metabolism" advantages. Since you've already got a good choice of superstats, you probably won't need these advantages to handle your energy. In practice, the Accelerated Metabolism advantage pretty much almost never works; it procs too unoften to really justify it, and it could easily be spent to improve other aspects of your build, such as your passives (which really shouldn't be anything lower than Rank 3, considering you're always using them).

You probably could do with less attacks in general. I'd boil it down to essentially Chain Lariat and Havoc Stomp for your AoE (and if you want to get more technological, you could easily get Energy Wave with Reverse Polarity for the same effect). Demolish is a good choice for a single-target damage output, and also makes specific targets weaker to your attacks. Lose the Lariat and Hurl; they're mostly utilities for pulling or locking down targets, which your lunge already does an excellent job of.

Put heals, a block, and a panic button (unbreakable, masterful dodge, resurgence) in their places. Also, get Molecular Reassembly; that'll be more than enough to justify Intelligence as a superstat.

This is how I'd build a Melee DPS/survivor with a focus on AoE knocks.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Havoc Stomp is a 100% replacement for Roomsweeper, so take that way earlier and don't take Roomsweeper at all.

Roomsweeper's damage is actually about on par with Havoc Stomp's (which is really weird; Roomsweeper's a Tier 1 and Havoc Stomp is Tier 3). Both apply Enrage on a half charge or higher, but Roomsweeper does charge faster. However, Havoc Stomp is also much more manageable (when not fully charged) and obviously covers a wider area.

It's something that really can't be properly detailed in a build planner, but I'd take Roomsweeper in the very early levels, and then when HS becomes available, just respec out of the former move.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yup, they came out today. You can get them either by farming Nighthawk's mission repeatedly, buying 100z belts, or just buying a 1500z plane.

Also, they can apparently be used inside Club Caprice. Wouldn't put it past them, either, since I did that while it was still on the PTS.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

You can roll an effective gunner with either the dex or ego stat. If you ran dex, you could theoretically also focus stats on doing dodges alongside criticals, resulting in a more balanced build, or you could pour everything into maximizing your critical stats under dex. Ego offers a higher base damage bonus, but only crits a little less often than dedicated Dex and also suffers from lower defenses. It really is up to whatever sounds good.

Basically, crafting has almost gently caress all to do with your stats now. In fact, crafting is now really arbitrary considering that you can get any kind of mod from doing a burst or just looking through the auction house long enough. (though, your crafting skill will determine which nodes you get mods from. In any case, you'll definitely want to read up on my item/spec guide to see exactly what changed with the On Alert update.)

Travel power's a matter of taste. You can easily get through the entire game without having to resort to phasing through people with a teleport (provided your build is decent).

The character builder of choice is most certainly the Powerhouse now. It's worthily keeping up to date, having just recently gotten the new Gadgeteering additions of boomerangs and whatnot. In contrast, I'm now taking a look at the ChampionBuilder site and... It's not there anymore. WELP

The early-game respec is even easier since On Alert came out; all your starting stats and moves can be respecced for no charge at all if you go straight to the powerhouse on creation and talk to a trainer. At least, that's the case I get whenever I create a new character.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

00Kevin posted:

Edit: I've skimmed the first post, and it sounds like CO is similar to City of Heroes in that you can make most things work, but some sets just perform better than others. Does that sound about right? I'm planning to roll an archetype to learn the game with, and then if I subscribe I'll play around with the freeform power system. That was what interested me when the game first came out, but I wasn't ready to put the money out on another superhero MMO at the time.

Yes.

Some sets can work just fine on their own, while others can be made workable with outside support. (Also note that if you happened to read my powerset writeups, they're all horribly outdated by now.) Since you're in no way bound to take powers from a single set, pretty much everything and anything you create can be shaped into something that operates effectively.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Hooray! That might mean I'll finally have a dedicated Telepathic character some time in the future.

I literally have somewhere on the volume of 40 alts; not a single one is based around that powerset, because all it has going for it is a really good AoE hold and a pet that works with holds.

Also, after learning how to slow down footage, I'm beginning to fall in love with demos.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of OP (post), yeah, you should move that channel prompt up. Also, get some new links for the bottom (Only the Wiki and Video work)and add my pictures.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

That actually doesn't seem like a bad soloing/survivability build. The only thing I'd do is remove some of the advantages on minigun, rocket, and shotgun in favor for more damage. That, and replacing recovery with dex or int.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

General Maximus posted:

Also, a slightly more serious question regarding a character I actually play. Currently she has ego reverberation from telekinesis which gives energy whenever she gets a stack of ego leech. But she's built for all the crits ever, so would retconning to get the munitions one that gives energy on crit be a better idea? Or should I just save my resources?

The bad thing about Killer Instinct is that it only applies to munitions attacks landing criticals. Hit with a critical bullet from your gun and you'll get energy back from it, but landing a critical with your psionic blade will do nothing.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Well, as a bit of an intro, the Behemoth AT is kind of janky. You're stuck in a role that has horrible natural energy management and deals substandard damage. Thankfully, the "Fuel my Fire" specialization alongside Defiance's energy generation should help to offset this, but your higher-up spec trees are also quite bad for high damage output.

As for being a beefcake, I'd recommend pouring almost all your stats into Strength. Screw recovery, as it barely helps you actually maintain a lasting offense and pretty much serves only to allow you to throw one strong punch at the start of a fight. In fact, aim for making your Strength higher than your Constitution if you want to be more of a damage dealer behemoth, as you'll need all that to make your Enrage stacks work to their fullest.

The Behemoth doesn't have a lot of options, but I'd say a build like this would do the trick:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...0002sNM0t8Q3bIm

Name: Buff guy dude.

Archetype: The Behemoth

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Behemoth
Level 7: Mighty
Level 12: Physical Conditioning
Level 15: Paramilitary Training
Level 20: Martial Focus
Level 25: Relentless
Level 30: Bodybuilder

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 14: Enrage
Level 17: Demolish (Rank 2, Below the Belt)
Level 21: Retaliation
Level 25: Aggressor (Rank 2)
Level 30: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
Level 35: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 40: Shockwave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Superjump (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Superspeed (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (1/2)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

To provide a simple outline of what's happening here, every talent has strength involved, and is boosting other stats that aid damage (Dex) or energy management (End, Rec). To further boost your power, I've also poured all possible points into defense boosts, meaning by the time you get to "The Best Defense" you'll have a pretty solid Offense score to back your damage up. It's kind of a shame, though, because a lot of the Behemoth's offensive power comes late game for some ridiculous reason.

As far as equipment goes, aim to use Crit. Chance offense items, Large Defense-boost defense items, and Massively effective energy efficiency utility items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Section Z posted:

Where Between "Workable" and "Too quirky to be useful" would a Melee character be, if they used CON as their main superstat and STR as one of their secondaries?

Or is it just as reasonable/less stupid to have CON be a secondary and rely on dropped gear to keep your CON up while running Defiance? Or would Main Super Stat Con just be wasted by diminishing returns? I'm more curious about baseline Pre-Gear results.

Also curious what the path to being as tough as possible while running Melee Damage Role is. Just pick up Unstoppable/Way Of The Warrior and go to town as usual?

I have a build that aims to do exactly this. One of the best tanks I've used to do alerts to this day, though you might want to swap out some of the high-knockback skills for alternatives.

Toughness in the melee role is the difference between just taking a passive, and taking a passive alongside a backwards lunge, a specific block ability, enough active defenses, and the right superstats and specializations. And yes, this build can out-aggro and cleanly out-damage all but the most optimized of defensively-built tanks.

Basically, the class-based spec trees are really useful. You could feasibly make any character type use CON as a superstat, or even the primary superstat. Just pick spec trees that compliment CON's abilities or correct what's weaker in the build.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 25, 2012