Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've been lurking it for the last year.

I played the trial for this about two years ago, and was able to get my main up to level 15 over a free to play weekend. At the time I thought, "this ain't so bad, I'll have to sub for a couple months at some point before they shut it down". loving ironic.

That time finally rolled around this last January. I was Christmas shopping on Amazon and saw the box copy for 6 bucks, so I picked it up. I was surprised to see that there were still people playing, and a patch full of UI upgrades went live just a few days after I started. Common belief is that CO is a failure just waiting to die. It was a pleasant surprise to see that wasn't the case. I picked up a cheap 60 day time card, but had no idea when I would actually get around to using it. NCsoft just made that decision for me.

I don't like CO nearly as much as CoX. It just doesn't feel like it has the same soul.

The worst thing is that the controls feel really clunky and unresponsive; My characters run like their feet are made out of clay and they fly like corpses with rigor mortis. I also hate the UI element that causes every single throwable object to put up a "Press 'Z' to Throw This poo poo" button. It gets in the way when I just want to press Z for a door or glowie. Is there a way to disable that?

One thing I like way more about Champions is the naming system. Anyone that dares to defend CoX's "one name per server" bullshit is subjectively determining for other people what constitutes a "good" name. Especially in the comic book genre, a quick, flashy descriptor is essential to the overall character concept. After 8 years, far too many names that would sit well on the cover of a comic book were long since taken. And it would always bother me a tiny bit every single time I logged on a character that had to make that compromise. Being able to name your character whatever you want(within reason) with no fear is liberating. Champions does have that going for it.

I find that some character concepts work out better in one game or the other. I like my Dual Blades toon in CO way more than her Dual Blades/Super Reflexes Brute counterpart. I couldn't translate my Power Armor character into CoX- the closest I could come conceptually was an Electric/Electric Tanker, which is nowhere near the same experience. I love my Gadgeteer, but had to abandon her evil twin Bots/Traps MasterMind halfway through the costume process. Unfortunately, the number of concepts that would never translate from CoX into CO would be way too huge to mention. For one, you guys have nothing that comes anywhere near the awesomeness known as a Dominator.

I'm pissed as hell that Millennium City will continue to live while Paragon City and the Rogue Isles are about to face the loving apocalypse. But you'll see me there early next year. Till then, I have a few banks to rob...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It feels like there's a few milliseconds worth of delay between hitting a movement key and your character actually moving. They're not responsive in the same way that every other MMO's controls are. Plus, they seem to run a little slower.

Even though CoX's graphics were technically dated, the game had an artistic ambiance that I found preferable to CO's.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Whoops! Wrong thread! Nothing to see here. Move along...

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not sure if anyone else might have seen this, but apparently a new studio named Cryptic North has been founded (apparently comprised mainly of Flying Lab people, who were behind the Pirates of the Burning Sea game I believe). Their stated goal at the moment is to polish up CO.

This to me strongly suggests that they're finally getting CO's assets ready for Foundry.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Look about 6-7 posts up to see the latest info. My suspicion may be wrong, but it sounds like something good IS actually happening. :)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Don't delete them or waste time converting them, just leave at least one character at permanent silver archtype status so you can still play a little even when you don't want to be subbed. That said, they really do need to address this issue in a better way that actually works for everyone, Cryptic included.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
That's a funny coincidence 'cause I have a freeform Gadgeteer that uses a Hoverboard. I guess those elements just work well together conceptually to a lot of people.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
CO is getting new content!
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/12/champions-online-brings-the-steel-crusade-on-september-4th/

This is great news for me, because I'm playing Gold atm. It looks like STO and Neverwinter are raking in so much money that PWE feel rich enough to throw a bone to the starving people in spandex. The question is: will anyone come back for it?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Guy Forget posted:

It's an aura called "Critical Effect: Visualizer". Currently 25G on the exchange.

I didn't even know this existed until you mentioned it. I found one on the AH for 45g, and my duel blades toon spent the evening criting herself into a cheesey retro frenzy that would make Adam West green with envy.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pesterchum posted:

I still don't know why you can't play your silver characters on a gold account.

Yeah, their F2P model is really poorly conceived.

I've been playing around with a new slot after getting a 2nd character to 40. Problem is, it looks like my idea of building a CoX Dominator with the Mental/Telekinesis powers has turned out lovely. My next idea is building a Stalker with the Night Warrior powers. Anyone have any experience with it? Can it work in Alerts, or is it only good solo(if even that)?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I've had that happen too. Time cards from Amazon are way cheaper anyway.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Everyone that still has even a passing interest in this game needs to log in between now and Monday 11am to claim your free Until Shuttle vehicle and Cyborg Beast costume set. It's a promotion for the newly released Steel Crusade content. I ran the first part of it a couple nights ago. It's not bad. Microman shrinks you down to fight robots inside of people's bodies in a new tileset that will remind CoX players of Saving Johnny Sonata's Soul.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/7004733-steel-crusade-part-1-is-now-live!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Any tips on a power armor dude? I've mostly been focusing on a ranged particle build for the moment (I just couldn't get melee to work well). In particular I'd like to know which super stats are best for power armor-- I went intelligence, end, recovery based on what I've read on various forum posts.

I have a 27 PA that super stated Int, and went with Con and End for secondaries. She easily range tanks alerts, making liberal use of Unstoppable. Her attacks mostly consist of minigun and micro munitions, plus my favorite PA power of all- Concussor Beam. I'm really satisfied with her performance so far.

LordSaturn posted:

Take super-END, get the Kickback specialization from that, and Automated Assault. You can now shoot forever.

For funsies, I tried backstabbing Psimon in his home mission, where that kills him dead. And it does! No transform, he just flumps over.

Night Warrior trivializes a lot of mission bosses. But when it fails, you're usually spectacularly hosed. At least that's my experience so far at 21.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 14, 2014

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Some people are apparently creating a new wiki as we speak.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
A ranged DPS shouldn't be taking a defensive passive, doing so would make you nothing more than a ranged "_________" taking up space. Take Unbreakable and Conviction when you get the chance, and that should give you some more survivability. I was also having aggro problems on Alerts with my Wind/Lightning hybrid, so I know what you're going through.

I use Stormbringer on mine. AoPM boosts all of your stats- offensive and defensive, so there's that going for it. It is probably the best all around passive to take, but at least give the one belonging to your particular framework a try first.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Dinictus posted:

That's something I never quite got. Either I played this game too long, or videogames in general, but I never got the criticisms about Champion's character editor being too complex. You've got your tabs. Obvious buttons. Colour channels are very clearly laid out. Even in beta I made monstrosities or things looking markedly different from the stock AT looks. Why can others not do so too? Is it curiosity or willingness to putz around with options, or even to pause and ask?

Ignoring the legacy engine's limitations for a moment, just how would a more intuitive and inviting character editor GUI look like?

Admittedly I do :shobon: at seeing New Champions xxxxx with stock AT looks with just enough changes to their model that they stand out.

While CO's creator has more options, CoX's was way more intuitive. Cryptic did a poor job of designing their individual costume categories, organizing them, and presenting them to you in the UI.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It was intuitive because it only had a handful of options.

Cryptic did a poor job of designing their individual costume categories, organizing them, and presenting them to you in the UI. :colbert:

And why can't CO's lists snap back to the last piece I used? WTF is wrong with them that they can't make that one simple QoL enhancement? I get a little pissed every time I play around with costumes having to scroll alllll the way back down to the section I was browsing through every single time I try something out.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 25, 2014

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Tyrannon's Familiar is a weird one, I never used it and have no opinion of it. It seemed to be more about building up a charge to release on your own damage attacks rather than being a useful pet on its own.

Also Arctic Beast is gonna be more durable than Command Animals, because it's not balanced around being two separate animals, but w/e you already have a horde of pets either way.

e: Also if you're leveling, take Life Drain sooner (17 or 20)

e: Pillar of Poz is also a really useful little power even unranked.

I use Tyrannon's Familiar on my Sorcery Blaster toon. It's an alright tank/diversion, but nothing spectacular. The character is only 32ish(and I haven't even been subbed since September), so she's still a work in progress. I'll still be making plenty of adjustments to her when I come back to CO in a few months.

Pillar of Poz is a great utilitarian PBAoE, but rightfully gets a lot of hate if you use it in Alerts.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Can I just say that I'm happy to see that this thread is actually seeing a bit of activity? Champions is a much better game than a lot of people give it credit for. Sure, it's got it's problems, but they've improved things a lot within the last couple of years. I think Alerts are fun.

If you're looking for another good ranged Sorcery power, you can't go wrong with Skarn's Bane. It's a cone attack that hits multiple foes for some pretty sizable ticks of damage.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Need a little build help, because, as I'm sure you've all encountered, free form is a bit overwhelming while you're still getting the hang of it. Is there any synergy at all between electricity and wind? It seems like there ought to be with Stormbringer buffing all the types of damage you'd do, and the big elec blasts making up with wind's lack of them, but I can find anyone online who's done anything with it. If not, that's cool and I'll just go one or the other.

Also, is there any good overview of the different play styles, and the different passives that go along with them? (That seems to be the deciding factor in most FF builds that I can see, other than stat choice.) I've read all of Bluhman's over on Steam and they've been very helpful.

I was working on a character like this when I played last summer. I got her to 26 and thought it worked pretty well, but it was basically just "spam Hurricane and Gigabolt nonstop". Both are huge aggro grabbers on Alerts, so watch out if you use them.

Someone that knows CO's system better than I do might laugh at this, but here's a basic powers build that I had worked up for her so far. No clue what advantages I was taking though:

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=11&n=&d=15875587XWa106040004400460043001400120045001B004C009Q00J50000004D000000000200000000

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
At least power a toon up to level 10 so you can unlock some of those costume pieces. God what a dumb design decision that was for them to make.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Just a heads up: They're giving away 1 Free Character Slot per account until July 31st-ish. Log in and grab it from the in-game store.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Holy poo poo, there's a new Temp Villain feature coming out:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/335/feature/10007/Champions-Online-Get-Ready-to-Unleash-Your-Inner-Villain.html

I agree with a lot of the comments on there. Whereas NCsoft would've pulled the plug years ago, PWE not only keeps the lights on, but still throws the devs/players a bone or two every now and then.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Most important: Is Foxbat still there? Does he still say he's going to contact a GM to port him to a new spawnpoint?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Filthy Lucre posted:

The new Icicle archetype is can be purchased with event currency right now, if anyone is interested. Could save you some Zen.

Has anyone played it yet? I bought it the other day with the Holiday Crap you get from grinding Presents, Finkle Foundry & Clarence, but I haven't actually rolled a toon yet.

I've been having a lot of fun killing Clarence. Something about that event just clicks for me.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Give us your overall goal for a concept you're shooting for, and then the build wizards ITT will come up with something good for you. It's way too easy to gently caress up Free Form builds when you're new to it.

You're looking into Str melee. Are you planning to tank Alerts or just dps everything, do you have a passive in mind, etc? An Ego ranged builder is probably a bad idea though. Ego is the ranged damage stat, and not really of use for strength-based builds.

Here's the online character planner:
http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 13, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
^^^
Build Wizard ITT...

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I encourage new people to do the mission content at least once, because otherwise you're never going to some some really cool and sometimes fun poo poo like the Gadroon stuff. 95% of it is your bottom denominator standard fetch me a bear rear end stuff but on the other hand once you're leveled you will never have incentive to go back and look at any of it, and some of the environments and plots are fun (I like Canada and a lot of the content in it).

I agree, except I like Southwest Desert better. I think the solo prison instance is really good.

I do a mix of solo + alerts on most of my toons.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Yes, you still have to double-penetrate the villains' secret lair. Defender will come in from behind. Unless it's a double XP weekend, you will be stuck on this particular set of rails until the slightly-too-hard Kevin Poe fight.

I last ran the Poe fight about a month ago on the new Icicle AT, and was shocked at how easily I kicked his rear end. Icicle ftw.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Just the fact that this game is seeing active development is great unto itself. They could really keep this game running for a bit longer with a steady core of players if they make all the right decisions.

Is the new TA stuff any good/worth doing?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I actually like PWE/Cryptic, especially considering that the only two companies I've done the same amount of business with are NCsoft and Turbine(both really suck). They're really not that bad, apart from the Lock Box fetish.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I was terrified that they were going to completely destroy my silver AT Devestator by changing the CD on Eruption(my bread & butter attack that does knockup)from 2 secs to 8, but it turns out that the recent changes work pretty well. It may actually even be a stronger build, due to Eruption now being an AoE. Crisis averted.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Yeah its a pretty rad attack now, but I'm curious about how it managed to be your bread and butter attack.

They even added a sonic "scream" power which I know would work well with this.

Apropos of nothing, do goons playing this game chill in the goon channel at all?

For the Devestator AT as a non-freeform, Eruption was the set's single target click attack that did knockup, a decent amount of damage and it was up every 2 seconds. I used it on literally every mob I fought- now it's every other mob and his friends.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
:kingsley: "gently caress! I had this awesome idea for a character, but the name was already taken. He'd be nothing without that specific name. What's wrong with having a catchy name that would actually look good on the cover of a comic book?"

:downswords: "You just lack imagination, idiot scrub. When I roll a brand new character, I simply consult this French thesaurus to aid me in finding a suitably obscure name for my walking bag of stats."

Someone on the CoX forums once started a thread titled "All The Good Names Aren't Taken!" because they chose the name Carpathian Chipmunk. I think that's the shittiest name I've ever heard. That said, what does or does not constitute a good name is wholly subjective, and you don't get to arbitrarily make that decision for someone else.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Speaking of Champions, is it just me or is the place absolutely dead? In an Australian evening, it can be virtually impossible to get any of the alerts, much less a rampage.

BTW, what's Australian evening in GMT terms? I'll agree that it can be pretty quiet off NA peak.

Asimo posted:

It's game that's been in maintenance mode with minimal content updates for years now. So yeah, pretty much. :smith:
The good news is that there's actually been development lately- arguably more in the last few months than in the entire span since On Alert dropped.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Bluhman posted:

For one day only, today, you can get a Therakiel Sword costume unlock for just 1 Foxbat Token at the Foxbatcon store!

It's kind of squeaky though.

It must be an April Fool's joke, because I bought it, but couldn't find it listed under Heavy Weapons options at the tailor.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I noticed that while is was looking for the sword. I wondered how I got it. :confused:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

So, is this game still active?

If you can't bear the thought of not running with 15-50 goons 24/7 then yes, it's a terminal case. If you want to run Alerts every day, you can do that pretty easily. If you want to collect bear asses(on Monster Island, natch) to level cap and then run Nemcon, then that can happen too. It's a smaller, cliquier community, but you can run poo poo when you need to for the most part.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Droid Washington posted:

I decided to try this out and I'm actually surprised at how fun it is. I don't know all the terms yet but I chose a tanky/behemoth archetype that uses Clobber and Defensive Combo. It's pretty drat satisfying. My dude is a frog.

You get what this game is all about. Welcome home.

Flesh Forge posted:

Good for you, it's really a great game in many ways even if a lot of people just won't forgive it for not being City of Heroes.
Far too many of our fellow ex-CoX players won't let CO be it's own game on it's own merits without constantly complaining about it not being an exact clone of OUR BELOVED DEAD WIFE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Being able to run a lower level dungeon with your friends and still get adequate rewards for doing so was the greatest thing, and I can't believe that no other dev team was smart enough to copy it. It keeps your old content relevant and keeps your players playing together.