Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Asimo posted:

My vote is "character that most closely resembles their player".

I'm really hoping I don't win that.

Try not to stare.
You'll believe a groin can fly.
These supervillains don't go off unless you hit them JUUUUST right
The costume randomizer: the greatest thing
Though sometimes the randomness is deliberate.
Paint chips: America's snack
Bringing sexy back.
Don't forget that you get multiple costume slots per character. Is today a green day or a blue day?

Who's collecting the costume fund resources?

delfin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The thing about AoPM is not so much that it gives you a huge superstat boost, because the diminishing returns curve does kick in, but that it boosts all the OTHER stats quite well. AoPM + Rank 3 = +70 to all stats at L40 at all times. That means you're looking at a base of 80+ all-around, which can change up what kind of endgame equipment you seek out and how high you can get your offstats.

That's one reason that Rage of Majesty (Enrage + AoPM + Energy blaster build) is the flavor of the month. With all your stats boosted significantly, you can use Enrage to your advantage easily (eight stacks for increased damage) without having to use certain melee attacks or Unbreakable w/adv to keep it running.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Giedroyc posted:

Did the guy who bought multiple retail copies off amazon.co.uk get them to work? I have a few sealed ones I bought for £1 each and after the first key it's saying "You have already activated Champions Online Retail on this account." despite their subscriptions page saying "You can add a second retail key to your account after you complete the subscription process."

I'm entering the keys on the enter product key option of the main page, there's no option that I can see specifically for subsequent keys.

I'm assuming that what this means is that if you buy the various preorder bonus editions (one with the Gamestop bonus, one with the Best Buy bonus, etc.), they will work, so as to give people with More Money Than Sense the ability to run around with all the bonus stuff.

Keep in mind that Best Buy sells it for $5 and Gamestop for $8 nowadays, so it's not such a bad deal after all now even if you can only do each once.

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Preorder_and_Game_Purchases

As of yet, I have only tried the Best Buy one (once) and it worked; I'll have to pick up a Gamestop version too. I have not seen the Wal-Mart version in the wild in quite some time, and I do not know if you can do the BB / GS ones and then activate one 'plain' one, or vice versa.

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 11, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I ran The Gremlin with Pestilence as his passive, and it worked out well. It tacks on DoT to anything that gets close and DoT to anything you hit with a ranged attack, so for someone whose bread-and-butter is the Venomous Breath / Supernatural Power synergy, that plus Pestilence plus Avenger role jacks up DPS enough to chew through PvE very effectively.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it optimal -- you're glass-cannoning if you use it, plus I never play PvP -- but it can be fun to use.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

doomfunk posted:

It's not Ice Form,

You know what? Sell me on Ice Form. I've run a Glacier to L40 and a Freeform with mostly Ice to L38 so far, and I've found much more success running the Freeform as Improved Glacier (Invuln / Avalanche tank in Protector) than I did trying to use Shatter while leveling.

I know the basics: Ice powers (Ice Cage, Wall of Ice, Ice Barrier, Ice Burst) make ice objects. Shatter breaks them. Ice Form adds to the damage. Critting with Ice Form / using Ice Sheath gives Cold Snap, which raises Shatter's damage. However, that's an awful lot of setup (at least three powers in sequence, some of which are high energy or actually empty your bar) for a payoff that just doesn't seem to do that much spike damage, even when it crits. Ice Barrier creates a lot of objects to break, but it has inherent disadvantages as well (long cooldown, energy to 0, enemies have to be pretty much right on top of it to eat all the hits). Also, Imbue makes Shatter crit but NOT the subsequent object damage.

I'm comparing this to the build I'm running now, which uses Frost Breath to chill enemies, Ice Blast + Hard Frost for chip damage, Imbue + Defile against tougher targets, and decimating groups by blocking (which makes energy skyrocket), Ice Sheath + Avalanche. It's less raw damage but infinitely more survivable with Invuln as the passive, IDF boosting that and Bionic Shielding thrown in at Level 38 for laughs. (Might switch that out to Resurgence because of Super CON, but I like Bionic's shorter cooldown for now.)

Is there something about the Shatter chain I'm missing?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Given the catering to the RP crew, I'm surprised the anime-style Gigantic Fuckoff Interdimensional Hammer wasn't in this.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Captain Thalidomide has hit L40 as a Freeform Glacier, essentially. I'm thinking of retooling him as a more focused tank, capable of going toe-to-toe with Blood Moon undead hero types and pulling some aggro. This is what I have so far. (Keep in mind this'd be a Full Retcon build, not a leveling build, though I structured it that way anyway to some degree.)

Superstats:
Level 6: Super Constitution
Level 13: Super Presence

Powers:
Level 1: Ice Shards
Level 1: Ice Blast -- Hard Frost, Crippling Challenge
Level 6: Frost Breath -- Frost Bite
Level 6: Swinging
Level 8: Snow Storm -- Eye Of The Storm, Rank 2
Level 11: Invulnerability -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 14: Ice Shield -- Frigid Air
Level 17: Avalanche -- Rank 2, Challenging Strikes, Rank 3
Level 20: Conviction -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 23: Resurgence
Level 26: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 29: Defile -- Rank 2, Plague Bearer
Level 32: Imbue -- Rank 2
Level 35: Ice Sheath
Level 35: Ice Slide
Level 38: Bionic Shielding -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Talents: focusing on CON, PRE, END, REC

My thinking:

Between Frost Breath w/adv, Ice Shield w/adv and Snow Storm, chilling enemies reliably should be pretty easy. This allows Ice Blast tap spam to hit for decent chip damage against single targets. With Crippling Challenge, that also builds a decent amount of threat.

Invulnerability - IDF chops henchman damage down to negligible levels, meaning that blocking is a fast energy builder. This also works well with Snow Storm w/adv; turtling up sends energy soaring while enemies kill themselves. Quick full bars allows for a lot of Avalanche, which builds threat and also does good AoE damage.

Ice doesn't really have a good single-target big zap, so I worked in Defile and colored it blue. It's energy-expensive, especially when charged fully to enable Plague Bearer, but blocking builds that quickly and Imbue jacks up damage even more. (Imbue also works strangely with the Ice maintains. It affects only the third hit on Avalanche, but affects EVERY hit in Snow Storm, including the 'enemies take damage when attacking you' pulses from the advantage.)

Ice Sheath is there as a hold-buster and to boost damage at intervals.

Finally, the heals. Resurgence is there mostly because, well, Super CON. Long recharge, but Imbue + Resurgence can heal a lot of health in a hurry. Conviction is more for rapid band-aids. Bionic Shielding can be swapped out, but I put it there because it scales with PRE like the others, it has a fairly short recharge, and I can use it on others if needed. Unbreakable was another thought for that last slot.

Am I on the right track?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Prygelknabbe posted:

But can he move his ENTIRE HIDEOUT... by an inch?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Work in progress to go with the theme: My Little Grimlock

Is it possible to get a more chrome-like finish?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Blood Moon devices and YOU!

If you log in to play today or tomorrow, you may notice that Millennium City has dark skies(*), a big red moon and zombies in the streets. Do not adjust your set. This is a monthly event known as Blood Moon, in which Takofanes the Lich Lord raises thirteen undead heroes from the dead to tear poo poo up.

There are a lot of components to Blood Moon, several of which are PvP, all of which can be read about here:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Blood_Moon

However, for Joe Average, the most interesting part will be the devices that the Undead Hero bosses drop. The bosses appear at set locations around the city, respawn 30 minutes after they're killed off, and have a small (under 5%) chance of dropping a special device mimicking one of their powers. Unlike most devices, these are infinite-use (no charges) and have a short recharge period (typically 2-3 minutes between uses), making many of them very very useful. Also, you do not have to be the high scorer to have a shot at a device -- you can literally fly in, hit the boss once and have a chance at a boss device drop.

Boss Map

The devices, in roughly descending order of desirability:

* Supernatural Possession (Goblin).
Mimics Crippling Coils (paralyzes target). More importantly, even on a tap, it heals you and nearby friends for nine pulses of about 300 each. A _really_ useful heal for Archetypes and other characters who don't have reliable heal powers. Heavily farmed. Scales with level.

* Nimbus of Force (Nimbus).
15-second force field on you and up to 10 nearby friends, absorbs up to 3300 damage. Obviously useful for everyone. Very very heavily farmed. Scales with level.

* Fists of Compliance (Johnny Hercules).
Mimics Shockwave (ground-pound for cone damage and snare). Also has a knock-to effect. About 3K+ damage if fully maintained. Scales with level.

* Archer's Memory (Vanguard).
Mimics Storm of Arrows (maintain AoE piercing damage). 10 second maximum maintain, roots you when used, but can cause quite a bit of damage to anything in its path. Scales with level.

* Radion's Revenge (Radion).
Point-blank AoE, does about 300-400 in five pulses, also debuffs enemies for -10% resistance against all damage types. Scales with level.

* Center of Gravity (Crusher).
Mimics Havoc Stomp (point-blank AoE) and applies knockto. Does about 2K damage and gathers small fries around you. Scales with level.

* Hacked Orbital Cannon Codes (Flechette II).
Mimics Orbital Cannon. Calls down a blast from the sky of particle damage with a lengthy charge-up (a few seconds). Looks really nasty and can do good damage if they don't move. Five-minute cooldown. Scales with level (cannon level is your level + 6).

* Coward's Lament (Shadowboxer).
Telekinetic knock-to, does about 2K damage in one wave. Scales with level.

* Revenant of Firefight (Firefight).
Creates a flaming pet that spits flames at enemies, pet level = your level + 6. Sounds awesome, right? Yes, but he only sticks around for 20 seconds. Still, a nice distraction when you need it.

* Will of the Tiger Cub (Tiger).
Slashing attack for about 1.2K, plus Shredded and Bleeding applied. Short recharge (1M). Scales with level.

* Amazing Grace (Amazing Grace).
Grants an acrobatics bonus for 15 seconds (run and jump speed and height). Somewhat pointless except that it ALSO grants +20% Dodge for 15 seconds, which is handy if you're a Lightning Reflexes dodge type and a boost puts you into God Mode briefly. DOES NOT scale with level, so if you can get one with a low requirement you can use it at full strength when grinding.

* Revenancy (Eclipse).
Applies hold to target and nearby enemies, chance to apply Fear, grants a minor heal when used. Nothing special. Scales with level.

* Eroded Shard (Vigil).
Blows a wind at enemies and knocks them back.

Yeah, that's it.

Once an Undead Hero has been beaten, you can enter his/her crypt and try to free the hero's soul, in return for a piece of their action figure. But who gives a rat's rear end about that? Go forth and collect toys!

* - In some instances. Hilariously, there are clear blue skies in a lot of Blood Moon instances this time.

delfin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 8, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

opaopa13 posted:

Is there a strategy involved in researching? Can I just throw everything on the table in one experiment, or should I always try to add the minimum amount needed to hit 5/5 quality, or what?

If you're trying to raise your crafting score, go up to 5/5 and stop there. The closer you are to 5/5, the more points you'll get from the research (and the more components you'll get out of it as well, as well as discoveries/profundities/epiphanies), but once you hit 5/5 the crafting points you'll get are capped.

Once you get up over 200, one of the best ways to raise your crafting score quickly is custom blueprints. As long as the blueprint is shown in orange in the Development list, it'll raise your crafting score by 1 no matter what quality you select, so you can spam a secondary upgrade at low quality and get consistent +1s while using minimal components. Once it turns yellow, the +1s are rarer but still happen, and you can always throw your cheapo upgrades right back into Research.

Realistically, the only things you'll get out of crafting that are worth it are:
* Self-heal and self-shield consumables
* Pet-summon items
* Rarely, attack items (the Acheral Mace in Mysticism is actually very good)

quote:

Should I throw BoE items that are outside my crafting profession onto the auction house, even if they're extremely low-level?

It depends, but probably not. If it didn't cost you anything to put an item in the AH, I'd say go for it, but if it's dirt-common it'll probably just sit there. It doesn't hurt to look up similar items in the AH and see if you can undercut them, but dumping unwanted stuff at the vendor is the usual method of freeing up inventory.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

You level up faster doing 1/5s.

Early on (pre-100) do 5/5s, but after that just grind 1/5s to level up your skill. Then when you cap out you do 5/5 for material.

Really? I could swear I've had 1/5s (particularly later on) that didn't raise my score at all.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It may depend on where you are in the crafting scale. Like, a 5/5 is dead easy to get from 0 - 100 and will give you a ten-point boost, but it requires a lot more gear in the 300+ range and only gives two at best. 1/5s may well be the most efficient method at lower levels, which is where it sounds like opaopa13 is.

Even the craftable consumables shouldn't be a huge priority, since you can buy heals / shields from Ren Cen vendors once you hit level 11 and they tier up at 21 and 31.

V--- I'll buy that, especially at higher tiers. Closer to 5/5 gives a better chance for the Profundities / Epiphanies etc., but you really wouldn't need more than one or two of each unless you're fascinated by Power Replace items.

delfin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 18, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
That's where the casual blueprints come in. Since there are a couple of points in the 300s where you get six custom upgrades at once and they're all orange, just pick a secondary, give it any minor enhancement and leave it as Low quality and you'll get a crafting point and a useless item for, let's say, 2 units of some ingredient. Spam it until the blueprint goes white. Use your higher score to access the next craftable (a heal patch, perhaps) and repeat.

I wonder if a 'generic' code would work on my account, since I've already used a Best Buy one.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
When you're at low levels, you're especially vulnerable to bosses because you probably don't have much of anything in the way of defensive powers yet. Archetypes don't get a block power 'til level 14, and even in freeform it's easy to get caught up in "I need this attack, this attack and this attack" and then wonder why you're getting knocked around.

Later in the game, bosses are (mostly) no big deal because you've got some defensives and/or heals in your repertoire; they're just bigger piles of HP that hit harder than most.

Also, work on your blocking. Those big FREEM! BAM! BOOM! FOOM! icons aren't just there as a homage to 60's Batman.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
All I know about Darkness right now is that getting Summon Shadows at level 14 with a pure-Darkness build is just NASTY.

Fly, my easily recyclable minions, fly! (three Shadows run out and bulldoze henchmen and feed a sliver of health back to me with every hit) Whoops, one got killed? No problem, since I'll be making three new ones every 20 seconds...

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If I had to rate the free archetypes from easiest to hardest, I'd go something like:

1) The Glacier. A strong defense-oriented character, gets Invulnerability (a great defensive passive) very early and builds from there. Can do good damage with the right power advantages, and builds energy very easily.

2) The Behemoth. The prototypical brick: smacks enemies and sends them flying. Defiance is another solid defensive passive, Roomsweeper is lots of fun to abuse, and the powerset more than makes up for being in a defensive role.

3) The Blade. Possibly the best of the glass cannon archetypes. Scything Blade w/advantage is a great spammable attack early, your dodge is high enough to go toe-to-toe with heavier villains, and the meatier attacks later in the build let you churn out lots of damage.

4a) The Inferno. Has all the tools (Conflagration, Thermal Reverberation, Flashfire, Fireball, Fiery Form) for quality pyromania but gets some of them surprisingly late in the build. Either drops enemies quickly or runs for the hills to recharge.

4b) The Soldier. A two-trick pony (Assault Rifle and Shotgun Blast) 'til very late in the build... but they're both good tricks. Fragile, though.

6) The Grimoire. A support build in a game where most won't team much. AoPM boosts all your stats nicely, you get a self-heal, and Skarn's Bane is a quality maintain zap. Eldritch Shield is a good block power. Still, you'll have to be careful with how much you aggro at once, because it won't be hard to be overwhelmed.

7) The Marksman. A good idea (excellent passive in Quarry, snare maintain, solid knockdown opener, AoE stunner) hampered by the fact that Archery kinda blows in this game.

8) The Mind. You get your first non-starter attack power that's worth a drat at level 32. Enough said.

doomfunk posted:

Doing Teleios Tower, Stronghold, or the Destroid Factory at the levels you acquire the missions for them can also be pretty hard, especially if your group doesn't have a good tank (common) or if you're trying to keep Foxbat alive (good luck).

Stronghold really isn't all that bad, it's just lengthy. The two sticking points are not aggroing everything at once in the recover-the-keycards stage and Kodiak near the end, as he hits like a truck.

The "Recommended: 2," "Recommended: 3" and "Recommended: 1-5" missions are generally not that hard to solo, depending on your setup (like, if you're a support build, bring a friend to fight Ape-X and the Overbrain). The ones that say "Recommended: 5," on the other hand, really mean it.

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 26, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Rocketlex posted:

I just started a Grimoire, playing mostly solo, and it is not that hard. You can take on pretty much anything so long as you do a little planning beforehand. Sigils of Arcane Runes are ridiculously useful when a group of enemies tries to get in your face. And even if you take damage you aren't completely made of paper like Inferno (which was not fun trying to solo with).

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad build, just not what I'd call a no-brainer one. The Eldritch Blast advantage does extra damage to Held opponents... the build has no reliable holds until 40. Primal Sigils punish anyone who gets close to you... the next attack you get knocks opponents away from you. AoPM gives you a solid stat boost all-around, but it doesn't excel in defense like Defiance or Invuln or jack up damage like the Energy Forms.

You're much less fragile than an Inferno, but at the same time you can't drop enemies nearly as quickly, which balances things a bit. You're not nearly as capable of sucking up damage as a Glacier or Behemoth, but you get a self-heal to compensate. Jack of all trades, master of none.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Has anyone done a Freeform Ice build? I'm looking for some early power selection recommendations.

I've started Ice characters about 4 times, but I always abandon them early because Ice might very well have the worst early level power selection in the game.

I'd disagree with this, Ice has ways of becoming viable pretty quickly. The starter attack (Ice Blast) with the Hard Frost advantage does excellent tap damage on Chilled opponents. By level 11, you can have that, Invulnerability, Frost Breath for easy application of Chill (or Snow Storm w/advantage so you can turtle and watch enemies kill themselves), and Wall of Ice for a ranged lockdown that also does damage.

Ice is devoid of a Really Big Zap kind of attack, but if you're intent on going offensive with Ice you can take Ice Form instead of Invulnerability and then pull something from Fire or Infernal that Ice Form will boost.

Asimo posted:

Ice is certainly workable and still not really a bad powerset, but it's just kind of awkward a bit in comparison and suffers a bit from the same "control-hybrid sets do less damage, except that control in ChampO in PVE is pointless" problem that Darkness does.

Which is ironic, since I'm at 38 with a Darkness build right now and it's an absolute wrecking machine. Shadow Embrace w/the knockdown advantage does good damage and can interrupt and cause Fear, Ebon Rift is just ridiculous if you take its massive-damage-at-center advantage, Ebon Ruin has great advantages, and Dark Transfusion w/advantage jacks up damage and is an amazing energy source for an offensive build. Summon Shadows calls up fast temporary pets whose health you don't have to worry about, and they slap around villains nicely.

A CON/END Darkness build can take Imbue, which just makes Ebon Ruin even more ridiculous. Circle of Ebon Wrath, Dark Trans, tap Ruin, Imbue, full Ruin is an easy 5K autocrit, leaves the target (if they're still alive) Feared (+15% more damage from Ruin), taking DoT, and 10% debuffed against Dimensional damage, and I still have energy in the tank for another full Ruin, or to throw out Shadows to nip at its heels or use Shadow Shroud to jack it up even further.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
In standard PvE, is it? It won't put much of a dent in a Legendary or Cosmic or a Blood Moon undead hero, but it'll kill or cripple just about anything you'll encounter in a normal leveling grind. Even most Super Villains top out around 10K HP.

EDIT: Actually, let me come at this from another direction. So far, as far as going toe-to-toe with the big boys goes (either soloing or just holding aggro), the only success I've had is with pure tank builds, basically winning via wars of attrition and good self-heals. If I want a build that's more of an offensive juggernaut, more avoid-and-heal-damage than suck-it-up-and-heal, I'm looking at what? Sword Cyclone + Dragon's * + LR-BCR-RR-MD seem the logical paths, but what else is out there that works?

delfin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 28, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Rocketlex posted:

Mighty Ducks. Pfft, I think I know what really needs to happen...

I'm about a week and a half ahead of you.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there any sort of general place I can check for build info stuff? My characters are kind of untouched since launch and I'm not really sure what to do with them now. Mostly I'm asking about a straightforward 'smash dudes in the face and don't die' Might build. But an archery one would be nice to see too.

Aphrodite covered the defensives and support stuff for Archery. I'll throw this out there as a possible freeform PvE build:

1: Strafe (Aversion -- probably the only Energy Builder advantage you will ever want to take. Boosts your Dodge/Avoid when it crits.)
1: Straight Shot (Split the Arrow) - basic damage + damage resistance debuff. A very good opener against single targets.
6: Sonic Arrow (Deadly Dissonance) - AoE w/stun. Spam often.
8: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3) - excellent offensive and dodge/avoid boosts, rank up ASAP.
11: Torrent of Arrows (Relentless Recurve) - cone attack w/knockback. Another strong opener, knocks down even on a Tap, so it's a decent interrupt.
14: Hunter's Instinct - bonus energy on archery crits, which will be plentiful.

At this point you have your five non-EB powers covered, so you can start dipping into other sets:

17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki) - healing that synergizes with your dodges. Keep as much of this running as you can.
20: Evasive Maneuvers - getting out of melee harm's way, improved dodge. I don't like this all that much because I don't like spamming it every 15 seconds, but I know others do, and every little bit of dodge helps.
23: Force Shield (Force Sheath) - a little more defense plus improved energy management, which you'll definitely want if you're in Avenger mode.
26: Masterful Dodge - god mode while BCR stacks are running.

This leaves you with four more power choices remaining, which you can tune as needed. (The order of the above isn't carved in stone, either.) Resurgence is a good CON-based large heal that can crit. Storm of Arrows is a decent maintain that can root if you take its advantage, Gas Arrow is basically Storm as a charge power, so I wouldn't take both. Try out Explosive Arrow with Where's the Kaboom (Tap does full explosion damage) Taser Arrow (paralyzer) or Focused Shot (poor man's Sniper Rifle). Some kind of active offense buff (Lock n Load, Immolation, Electric Sheath, Shadow Shroud) that boosts all damage and helps break holds will be useful.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Super CON means Resurgence is an excellent bet. It has a 90 second cooldown, but it heals for a lot and even more when it crits. (I always like Imbue in combination with that, as it makes your next power (including Resurgence) autocrit based on CON, but Resurgence can also stand alone.)

Palliate is indeed a %-based heal, but it scales with Presence, so it'll be gimpy compared to Resurgence if you have none. If you can jack Presence up a bit via equipment, consider that as a big heal or Conviction as your frequent band-aid.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Provided they haven't spent all their money, we have 300g from Bluhman, 100 from jjac, 100 from Jan, and an unspecified amount from delfin. If anyone else wants to toss some in, speak up.

I'll specify the 400g I sat aside when we were first discussing this, and if the CC goes well I can easily go higher so we can do it more than once. (Selling travel power components is an absurdly easy way to rack it up.)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Best female power armor I've come up with so far was this:

Grandma built a power armor suit with growth capabilities to GET THOSE GODDAMNED KIDS OFF HER LAWN. I made the head as tiny as I could, to make it appear as if it was a tiny woman in a big armor suit. The waist is pretty much stuck at Barbie proportions, but if you apply imagination and figure how small Grandma herself is, you can chalk it off to artistic design rather than scoliosis.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Mama's going out on the town tonight!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

People need to be in good costumes for the CC.

So... the duck in assless chaps, the thalidomide victim in green man-panties, or the Electric Death Deer?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If they don't have a skin out by the end of the month turning that into a Residents mask, they have no soul whatsoever.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
According to the Champs Calendar, this weekend is the latest edition of Blood Moon. For the benefit of those whose primary income comes from costume contests, this is a 32-hour window in which you can scramble around a bit and earn a huge pile o' resources.

My previous Blood Moon guide is on page 5 of this thread, so I won't repost the whole thing here, but instead post the Guide to Quick Earnings:

1) Everything that's lucrative in Blood Moon is going on in Millennium City, so stay there. You will want the 'always choose which instance' option on, but I can't imagine not turning that on anyway.

2) If you see a pillar of non-blue light in the sky, that's a boss. Take your favorite high-level character out there and see if others do the same. All you need to do is get one hit in on the boss during the fight to be eligible for a chance at a boss device drop -- you do NOT have to be #1 on the score list or even close to it.

Blue pillars are Takofanes. Don't bother with him unless you're a DPS machine, as his rares only drop if you're #1 in the list.

3) As painful as it may be to do so, turn on Zone chat. This is your police scanner calling out which bosses are up (or about to be) in which instances. Your primary targets are:

* Nimbus. Nimbus's force field device is always popular and as a result she gets gangraped in about 30 seconds every time she spawns. Others may speak of a 'Nimbus Sequence,' which is the order of instances in which she'll appear; take note of this and bounce from one to the next.

* Goblin. Goblin's device is a nice self-heal, which will always sell well. Goblin gets overfarmed sometimes as well, but not quite as blatantly as Nimbus; still, if someone calls out a Goblin Sequence, jot it down too.

* Firefight. A short-lived undead pet that spews fire breath. Sells well.

* Flechette II. Hacked Orbital Cannon Codes aren't necessarily the most useful device in the bunch, but they LOOK cool and therefore sell well.

Ones that really don't sell well include Vigil's Eroded Shard device (useless), Eclipse's Revenancy (meh), Radion's Revenge (actually a nice gadget but not popular).

HOWEVER, even those in the 'don't sell well' category will draw 40-50G at minimum in the Auction House. You can get 150G+ for a Nimbus of Force or a Supernatural Possession, so if you see an opportunity to drive-by a boss fight and get one cheap hit in, do so.

That's the biggest-ticket stuff. Additional sources of revenue include:

* Every time you participate in an Undead Hero boss battle and get at least one hit in on a boss, you get a free reward item along with any potential zombie parts and/or boss devices. For level 35+ or so, it's a free blue. These sell for .7G if they're secondaries, 2G and change if they're primaries. You can rack up a ton of blues this way even if you're unlucky with boss device drops, and (of course) primaries in your crafting field can be broken down to get Questionites / Blood of the Dragons / Pulson Particles that sell for more than the devices they came from.

* If you enter a crypt after beating a boss, you will get a piece of the boss's action figure once you complete the quest. There are two parts to this quest, finding and beating Strength of Takofanes (spike-damage bruiser, think Kodiak in the Stronghold mission) and finding and beating the Harbinger at the end (Darkness lifedrains, similar to fighting Eclipse). If you have a build that can handle both, you can dash through the crypt in a few minutes and the action figure pieces generally sell for 3-5G at minimum.

In summary:
* bring a 40 if you have one
* fly around MC
* look for boss fights and get at least one hit in
* collect items
* profit

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Not really. The Blade technically counts as part of the Martial Arts family and can get a couple of the miscellaneous Martial Arts powers, but Dual Blades, Fighting Claws and Unarmed don't even have purchasable archetypes (yet). You'll need to go Gold and Freeform to really dig into those sets.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Freeform isn't so much about having 14 powers all from different sets, but about choosing a theme and enhancing it with good powers.

Very much so. There are many powersets that aren't necessarily spectacular on their own, but have specific powers (Archery -> Quarry, Power Armor -> Unbreakable, Force -> IDF, Celestial -> Imbue, Infernal Supernatural -> Resurgence, the Martial Arts sets -> the Forms) that can easily be cherry-picked into an effective build that is otherwise unrelated.

The main idea is to round out your build and not be one-dimensional; everyone can benefit from a heal, a damage reducer like IDF, an active offense or similar power to jack up offense temporarily, and/or an active defense to keep you standing a bit longer. Whenever you hit a new power level, think to yourself as to what's the most obvious hole you have right now (are you taking too much damage? running out of energy too often? need an AOE attack to clear out crowds, a spike-damage attack for taking down bosses, a buff to make everything more efficient?) and base your power choices around that.

Also, don't rule out setting up multiple builds once you're high enough level to have some power picks to spare. For instance, my Dual Blader has a default build that's pure offense (Brawler role, Way of the Warrior passive, equipment to match), but I also took Defiance and set up a Defensive build (Protector role, Defiance passive, a little higher CON and PRE) for taking on big bosses like Blood Moon undead. Damage is obviously lower, but he's also a lot harder to take down, so if I get into trouble it's one click to shift into Defensive mode, clear poo poo out, then switch back after the fight.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I missed that part of your post the first time; it definitely feels like it to me. It's not just the odious grenade tossers (and holy poo poo did the Infiltrators annoy me before I got Sword Cyclone with their annoying rear end smoke bombs), it just seems like whenever I jump into a VIPER pack, my health goes down twice as fast as it does against any other faction pack. It seems like VIPER and some other elements of the game aren't terribly well balanced. For example, there's a mission in the Westside chain where you have to go into the prison and beat a bunch of bosses. That's easy, but as soon as you enter the prison you get gangbanged by some 20 henchmen inmates, if you'll pardon the unfortunate pun. It's stupid hard to survive.

Dual Blades is one of the more powerful offensive sets, but the game makes you fight tactically once in a while, too.

For instance, Let's Stop a Riot! starts exactly as you describe -- a wall of inmates coming from the west and east hallways to gangbang you in the central foyer. How to avoid being overwhelmed? Divide and conquer. Pick a hallway and charge down it, cleaning out the inmates as you go. Now you have about 1/3 of the total inmates gone, you haven't taken much damage, you have a little distance between you and the main group of inmates, and you have a clear area at your back to retreat to. Having some of the Heals or Shields from the RenCen vendors doesn't hurt, either.

Still taking too much damage? Cyclone is a great crowd-clearer, among the best, but Eye of the Storm is an even better choice if you're worried about incoming damage because it has a built-in damage shield. Take that and the Blade Beyond the Veil advantage, and laugh as half the inmates run into melee range and get chopped while you still have most of your health bar.

(Of course, retreating to the hallway probably wouldn't occur to someone on their first trip through that mission. It didn't to me. Experience helps too.)

Same deal with VIPER. One of their less appealing characteristics is that outside of Infiltrators, they DON'T tend to charge into easily-mulchable groups; they stand at range and pelt, so you're taking damage from one or more even while you're whittling down the others. If you aggro too many at once with an offensive passive, that's a recipe for low health. Some of them in particular (Brickbusters at range, Infiltrators up close) can churn out a lot of damage in a short time; blocking against the former and quickly killing the latter is important.

quote:

Apparently my character has another free respec for some reason, and I was thinking about trying an unarmed (not might) build. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting the Immolation skill from the Fire tree because if there's something cooler than punching out supervillains with your bare hands, it probably involves the inclusion of fire.

Boy, did they have you in mind once you can access Tier 3 Unarmed powers.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

doomfunk posted:

You want to squeeze everything you can out of basically everything, so you can straddle the same slot or juggle a bunch of stats all at once - but like Mewn said, you need some special gear.

Special but not necessarily rare or even all that expensive. One of the nice things about the Adventure Packs is that there are people who farm them all the time for superblues and then drop them in the Auction House. It's not worth it most of the time at lower levels, but when you get up into the mid-30s and especially at 40, it's time to go shopping.

A typical superblue at level 40 will have the normal (excellent) blue upgrade stats, plus +7 to each of two other random stats. Is up to an extra 126 stat points worth shopping around and maybe farming some extra components to sell? I'd say so. It beats the living hell out of anything you'd get from crafted/UNITY purples and their effort required.

First stop: This list of Item Prefixes will help make the awful AH interface manageable. This will allow you to specify a level range, a quality (Rare) and a prefix to narrow it down to upgrades that fit the exact primary stat/ability you need. For example, if I want a +CON secondary offense with bonus stats, I know I'll want to search for "Reinforced" and "Bio" and see what's out there.

Then go fishing. The majority of blues will have the same stats (say, +20 CON at level 40); dig around and look for one with something like +20 CON, +7 DEX, +7 INT. If the same stat is hit twice, it'll generally be an extra +13 rather than +14. Poke around until you either find upgrades you like or they start getting priced ridiculously. Quality secondaries are available quite often in the 5-20G range, quality primaries a little higher depending on what you're looking for, but if you're spending over 40G on any one item it had better be spectacular.

Where do you get all these Gs to spend? Same place as always, L30+ areas. Crafted travel power components always always always sell. Market prices for Reinforced Tissues hang around 2G each, Dragon Power Cores / Ritual Blood Knives / Major Dimensional Mutations around 3G each, Atomic Neural Receptors / Shamanic Bone Rattles often higher than that. Got leftover blues from Blood Moon? Research 'em down, Blood of the Dragon / Questionite / Pulson Particles are usually in the 6-8G range for each.

Money is simply not an issue for anyone who (a) actually plays to L40 and (b) sells their components rather than trying to build a CTP themselves. I'm about to reach L40 for the fifteenth time on my main account, and not one of them hasn't had 400G+ _without deliberately farming_ by the time they hit L40.

EDIT: Also, as far as endgame-level equipment goes, keep in mind that you'll get some pretty nice items along the way. Mysticism crafters can always get Hotsleep Fists from the main Stronghold mission (Primary Offense, End on Kill + Health on Kill + 5% Offense boost + 5% Stun on Hit all on one item), which don't help your stats but provide a nice batch of abilities. The Old Switcheroo in Andrithal provides an easy purple Primary Utility (mostly focused on END or EGO, but some are more balanced). The rewards for Excavation's Overseer are excellent Primary Defense items; I usually take the Coruscator for high CON but your mileage may vary depending on your superstats. If you can settle for those as your primaries, shopping for just secondaries is much cheaper.

delfin fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 28, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Silver cap is 250G.

Aphrodite, there should be 200G in Myst components in your inbox.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bluhman posted:

Given how dodge chance works, Hundred Fists looks like it would completely rape most enemies on elite. Multiple hits in a single tick means that those hits are still going to do a lot of damage, even on dodge. In addition, hell, I'm almost certain hundred fists energy cost is substantially lower than that of chainsaw.

Burning Chi Fists/Fists of Righteous Flame, then Hundred Fists. Four bonus ticks of damage per second, plus Burning Chi DoT, plus normal damage for each attack? Cleanup in Aisle 4.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, it depends on what you want them to do.

In the world of controllable pets, if you're looking for healing, pretty much the only one you'd want would be Support Drones, jacked up to Rank 3. I haven't used the Radiant Summoning one myself, but I've read that it's somewhat derpy in practice.

If you want them to actively draw attention away from you, the Ritual of Arcane Summoning pet has Challenging Strikes (take the adv that lets you leave the summoning circle) and Tyrannon's Familiar generates threat when it attacks.

Outside of that, it's pretty much up to personal taste and YOUR IMMERSION as to what fits and how many. Maintaining a controllable pet jacks up your energy costs each time, so it's up to you if you want a buddy or a herd. Also consider the uncontrollable pets (Summon Shadows seems apropos for Nixon, calling up assistance from the Silent Majority), which are easily disposable but which also poof after ~20 seconds and need to be resummoned.

Also, buffs like Inertial Dampening Field and Aura of Radiant Protection and Aura of Primal Hobo Stench get passed onto teammate pets as well, iirc.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

ColHannibal posted:

I am talking hoards and hoards of pets, as many as possible.

Summon Shadows summons three at a time (though temporary). Command Animals, Support Drones and Munitions Bots are two at a time. Attack Toys start with one at a time but can replicate. Ball Lightning is three temporary lightning balls, March of the Dead is three zombies but gimps your energy severely while active, Summon Nightmare gives two when fully charged, Collective Will spawns bonus pets if nearby enemies are Held, Confused or Asleep.

If you're interested in the Ritual pets, they'll cost an extra 2 Adv points each and more energy to summon if you want more than one.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm torn between Slutty Muppet, Slutty Breakfast Food and Slutty Republican Presidential Candidate And No Sarah Palin Isn't Running.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Keep in mind the more obscure or difficult to pull off it is, the more we have to give real money to some random idiot.

There will be no switching for this one (or else it would never end) so you'll have to find someone appropriate among the crowd.

All right, then, I'll lock into an easy one:

Slutty Overuse of One Unpleasant Color

(rufus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Anyway you can phrase that simpler? The ad is going to be big for this one probably.

Slutty Monochrome Disaster?

Meanwhile, I 40'ed out on Crunch Buttsteak and figured I hadn't done pure sorcery yet. He may get zapped on copyright reasons, but what the hell.

The time is now! SuperGoons, join me! For I am Dr. Orpheus! Master of Mysticism!