Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

The idea was that the donator judges their own chosen category.

However, they obviously have the option to pass on judging or choosing (Or even both.) So if a donator would like to pass judging their category on to you, they are welcome (Or if you already donated and don't want to choose, only judge. I can't keep track of everyone's in-game names.) Shaosyant/Allatum said he probably won't be able to make it, so his category is open if that's still the case.

I will pass on judging responsibility for Slutty Muppet if someone from our usual CC gang wants it. I will then cackle with malevolent glee, remaining behind the scenes as a Koch Brothers-level financier and criminal mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

tamriilin posted:

Also: How do I go to the desert instead of canada? After I do the absolutely terrible (and mostly buggy) level 5-7 missions in millenium city, I only have the option to go to Canada.

If you've only done the 5-7 missions in MC, you're underleveled for the Desert. The Desert Crisis is level 15 (so you'll need to be 12 to get access to it). Apparently it was a low-level option at one point, but not now.

If you're looking for level-appropriate missions for single digits, you have a couple of options:

* Crisis in Canada (which doesn't seem to excite you much), via the helicopter in front of the Super Jet.

* Go to Canada directly via the Super Jet and ignore the crisis, which you could always go back and do later (or not, they don't care).

* Go talk to Kodiak in Westside and beat up the Purple Gang for a while. He'll eventually point you to Chief Surhoff and the extended mission chain in Westside that ends with the Hi Pan showdown.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

chelsea clinton posted:

You observe that all the costume contests that take themselves seriously either have a category for or otherwise reward dumb, skimpy outfits. Your response to it is to make a contest where every category is for dumb, skimpy outfits.

Dumb, skimpy outfits worn by (going by the specified categories) the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Woody Woodpecker, Freddy the Freeloader, Dr. Clayton "Firebrand" Forrester and Cookie Monster.

The outfit -- in and of itself -- is not the part that's funny. The outfit in increasingly inappropriate settings -- and keep in mind that this IS a Halloween contest (Halloween being the holiday heavily marketed to mainstream women as 'dress like a slut for a day') in a superhero game (capes being a genre where strategically placed dental floss and ginormous hooters are standard practice for even strong, established heroines) that's an MMO (insert your own pubbie IQ joke here) -- is the balloon this contest is poking at.

Nowhere does it say that slutty looking women are what the judges are looking for. It's arguable whether or not a typical member of three of the categories would even HAVE genitals.

But yeah, we're just typical sexist male pigs who set this up just so we can throw Gs at whoever's most adept at pushing the Breasts slider all the way to the right.

delfin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 27, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Patch notes are up for the latest update, and there's way too much poo poo in it to summarize so just read it.

(cherry-picking: they managed to make Amazing Grace WORSE. :stare:)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Allatum posted:

Amazing Grace has its useless. But sadly only for PvP, or if you are anal about getting the most out of dodge mechanics.

Yeah, I'd rank it above Eroded Shard (gently caress-all useless) and Revanancy (mostly useless) in the Blood Moon boss drops, probably about even with Revenant of Firefight (nice device hamstrung by a short duration) for a dodge build. But did it really need to tack on an Active Defense cooldown as well?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Bloodmoon changes summary:

The trick or treat bags can contain weak buff items, new action figures, limited versions of the Become Devices or the old Halloween costume set pieces (And apparently one or two new ones.) It can also contain a useless rock.

Trip report: It is unclear whether or not you can get the 'permanent' Become Devices from the street trick-or-treater bags as a rare drop. However, it might be worth it to collect a bunch of bags anyway, as the four candies and the Rock autosell for about a quarter of a G apiece. Since the trick-or-treaters are flooding the streets and the occasional monster version is a pretty easy kill (and worth about 1.3K exp each with Witchcraft's 2x exp buff), it's a reasonable Skinner box diversion in between grinding out boss drops.

Regardless, the Undead Heroes are still your best resource-making resource. The boss devices are low probability but high reward (even Eroded Shard gets about 30-40Gs, better ones go in three figures) and you're guaranteed one very good item just for getting one punch in on the boss.

Anecdotally, some or all of the new Tako item drops are not tied to being first on his scoreboard. I haven't fought Tako yet in this Blood Moon incarnation, but there are reportedly 21 possible drops, so I'll throw in a bolt or two and take my chances.

When fighting Tako, it can turn into slideshow mode because of the 99 other players all fighting him at once. Set Options - HUD - Other Players - Show Player Names and Life to Never for a significant frame rate increase.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Trip Report Deux:

If you're used to the "classic" Blood Moon style, this particular Blood Moon instance is a bit of a clusterfuck. Whole instances at a time are regularly unavailable because of Takofanes campers filling them up, making it impossible to answer many calls for assistance against Undead Hero bosses. The usual mantrains run on Nimbus and Goblin spawns are completely absent because almost everyone who usually does bossruns is busy beating on Tako and hoping for dodge purples or Dark Auras. (Did you know Nimbus has annoying ice powers? Usually she doesn't last long enough to gurgle.)

The Dark Aura device is the Make.Money.Fast of this Blood Moon; it's still going well into three figures, with the Tako costume bits in the ~30G range.

Basically, Tako hunting goes like this:

* Listen in Zone chat until someone types out the current Takofanes spawn sequence.
* Go to the next Tako instance in the chain that is accessible. In practical terms, figure it'll be one three or four instances down the line with a half-hour-plus wait.
* Stand around Champs HQ when it's spawn time, and when Tako gets off his chair blast him with everything you have.

Does the scoreboard at the end matter? Yes and no.

No in that if you at least touch Takofanes, you'll get something for your trouble. This is a Halloween Treat Bag (the crappy kind) at a minimum, plus a chance at one of the five costume purples; Tako's Bracers, Mantle, Belt and Crown or the Dark Aura device. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Yes in that the higher you place, the more likely it is that you'll get a better reward. This includes C-Store Trick or Treat bags (the ones with a chance of a permanent Halloween Become device), +84/stat blue upgrades (visibly inferior to adventure-pack Very Hard/Elite blues, but hey, they have the word Takofanes on them), or purple upgrades (some of which are actually very nice, but if you're not in the top 10 on the scoreboard good luck ever seeing one, and if you're capable of minmaxing enough to get into the top 10 you don't need my advice).

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

You do not need to min/max anything. You just need to be 40, and something good. TK Blades, Dragon's Claw, Dual Blades (Though AoE might get Tako's buddies on you which probably hurts) etc.

Well, not min/maxing in the sense of perfect gear and perfect build per se, but in that if you're not level 40 and you're not in one of a handful of particular offensive setups, you have no chance, as a few dozen others will be doing exactly that. I tried out one of my best DPSers (a Rage of Majesty lightning build) and didn't even show up on the visible leaderboard.

Having a decent graphics card also helps, in all likelihood; on my laptop, I could barely tell whether my DB'er was hitting him or not.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Halloween Blood Moon that Never Ends is still going, as of this morning. Today should be its last day.

Aphrodite posted:

Not even 10 is good enough. You need to be like Top 5 for a (Tako purple upgrade).

Not that I'm complaining, as I got to help provide contrary evidence this morning. I know MechaniKai got a dodge purple last night in the upper teens, and I snagged a Dex dodge purple this morning in the upper teens. I'm not sure that any of my guys besides the ego-blader would've stood a chance of top 20'ing, though.

I am hopeful that the next 'normal' Blood Moon will incorporate a bit of Tako's drop style for this event -- save the A-list purples for next Halloween, but give people in the Also Participated category a shot at better rewards than a Medium Power Borrowed Life Incantation. In a typical Blood Moon, there's little incentive for anyone other than a heavy hitter to get anywhere near Tako.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Halloween Blood Moon that Never Ends is STILL going on. (Got in a bonus Tako fight this morning.)

The patch at ~10AM EST will probably take it down, though. So, if you're not headed right to work this morning...

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Latest Non-Adventures of Wonderella might as well be subtitled championsonline.png.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Okay so a bunch of cool games came out in the last few months and I let my subscription lapse. Can someone quickly summarize the notable changes that happened over the last couple of months?

I'd recommend scrolling through the Champions Calendar for the months you missed, as it's easier than guessing which months you missed.

Main things of interest: a bunch of new powers (several in Unarmed, a few Munitions powers stemming from the Become Black Talon device). Golden Age, Sci-Fi and Pulp costume sets. New archetypes, new hideouts, an anniversary and a Halloween event that you missed.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My congratulations go out to Cryptic/Perfect World for creating their most pathological C-Store item to date.

quote:

Infernal Grab Bag

The Cursed Grab Bag contains a Tradeable Archetype Item that unlocks the Cursed Archetype and several costume unlocks with a fiery aura that you get a chance to have each time you open one.

What can you get in the Grab Bag? You will always get one piece of gear, ranging from green to Purple quality that is appropriate for your level and one consumable item. You also get a chance at the Cursed AT Item and Cursed Aura Costume Pieces.

So... if you spend 800 CP on ten grab bags, you have a CHANCE at getting the ten new costume pieces... if you hit the right random number ten times in a row.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hope so, but the release notes are pretty specific.

quote:

You will get one of the following consumable items below:

* Boosts
* Recovery 4 Pack
* Healing 4 Pack
* Energy 4 Pack
* Damage Buff 4 Pack
* Heroic Comeback 4 Pack
* Ren Cen Teleport 4 Pack

In addition, each time you open the Cursed Grab Bag you will also have a chance to get The Cursed Archetype and the Cursed or Scourge costume pieces.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I will be interested in how that turns out. So far, I have a Best Buy key and a pile of gamecards, and have held off from the GameStop key because (a) its gift item is gently caress-all useless now and (b) the gamecards are effectively cheaper.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Trip report: the reworked Supernatural powerset / Poison mechanic.

Previously, the Infernal Supernatural powerset was a pretty simple deal:
1) Get Venomous Breath as a spammable cone attack
2) Get Supernatural Power to make Venomous Breath be a non-stop energy factory 90% of the time
3) Get Vile Lariat w/advantage for 100% chance of Bleed at range, then get the Venomous Breath advantage that stuns Bleeding enemies
4) Ride those to level 40.

The above still works fine, but Poison brings more powers into play. The basic idea is that lots of Supernatural powers have some chance of causing Poison stacks, they stack up to ten, they have 50% shield penetration, and more stacks now cause more DoT instead of more ticks. The end result is that consistently poisoning an enemy can stack up substantial DoT pretty quickly.

Enter Epidemic, a new power that is sufficiently effective that a nerf bat might be coming. 25 foot PBAoE, does reasonable damage per .5 sec, and each tick has a 15% chance of adding a Poison stack. Take the advantage and the maintain shortens from 4 seconds to 3, and the Poison stack chances increase to 25%/tick. Why is a shorter maintain good? Because if you do a full maintain, enemies caught in it have their Poison stacks DOUBLED. This can get hefty enemies up to a full 10 stacks very very quickly and keep them there.

Epidemic ALSO syncs up with Supernatural Power, meaning that full maintains are super easy to spam. The wide AoE range and move-while-attacking mean that you can wade through groups, maintain the Smoke Rings of Doom, and not worry too much about aggroing because anything that gets close to you drops.

Other new powers include Infernal Blast, a tier 0 that refreshes Poison stacks and (with adv) spreads Poison to other targets on a full charge (meh -- you're better off just applying stacks the normal way) and Locust Swarm (standard-issue charge-to-Paralyze, can Poison with its advantage), along with a reworking of Aspect of the Infernal to make it trigger on Poison rather than knocks (Aspect of the Ethereal does what Infernal used to do).

The effect is to make Pestilence a little more interesting, if you don't mind being squishy, as it now reduces Toxic resistance by 1% per stack of Poison on an enemy. That 10% Toxic debuff, plus the 8.3%-12% Toxic debuff from Defile, plus Pestilence jacking up Toxic damage and causing additional Toxic DoT up close, plus the Toxic AoE DoT advantage on Defile, plus a damage boost from Aspect, plus constant Epidemic spams... that's a lot of pain in the air. An alternative for increased survivability is to take something like Regeneration or Invulnerability, so that you can suck up hits while puffing everything in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Good news!

We're slowly becoming the most legitimate costume contest holding supergroup.

:stonk:

This... will... not... STAND.

time for the Prolapse With Feet, Goatse As Drawn By A Six-Year-Old and Hail to the Phallus categories