Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Being stricken with the curse of alt-itis, I've been dicking around with my Sentry ripoff. Most of my characters are knockoffs of Marvel/DC guys. I initially felt bad for being rather unoriginal, but after seeing three identical Hulks, a near-perfect Flash and even Galactus all in one night, I no longer care. :v:

Here he is, hoisting a forklift like it ain't no thang.

And using his eye beam powers on some fool.

I particularly like this one for the look on the bad guy's face.

And he even has a moment to make time with the ladies. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Asimo posted:

In fairness, Sentry is a fairly transparent ripoff of homage to Superman, so it's not like you're the first there. :v:

Oh yeah, I remember reading how they were even going to have his costume be red and blue up until a last-minute decision came down from above, so I definitely had no regrets. :v:

quote:

I also wish eye beams didn't suffer the Power Armor Toggle Curse, since they're a pretty awesome and (I believe) unique SFX, in being the only powers that emanate from the eyes. It's arguably worse than the other power armor toggles too, since they're intentionally middling damage and no-cost in order to be stacked atop the other toggles, but that means they're pointless to use alone. :argh:

Yeah, as part of my character's build (basically Might), they work nice as a sort of "ha ha, got ya" to the villains before the beatdown commences, but otherwise it's pretty much just a case of using it because Superman Sentry did.

I will add that it's a strong testimonial to this game, though, that you can pretty much think of just about any comics hero in existence and create someone that just about duplicates them (in powers, if not also in costume) completely. I know it's been said many times before but I've wasted hours just playing around in the character creator recently. Thanks, CO, for helping me rediscover my inner comics nerd. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
So I hopped back into CO, and had a quick question: do the CO game time cards from Atari still work? Amazon has a pretty amazing deal on 'em and I'd love to buy a couple, but I don't wanna shell out money for something if PWE is gonna come back and say it's not valid. I tried Googling but the results were pretty nebulous so I figured I'd check with you fine folks first. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Aphrodite posted:

Yep, they work fine.

Great! Placed an order for a couple today. I love the game but miss playing my Freeform guys like my Sentry ripoff. So this'll alleviate that for a few weeks anyways. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Kelp Plankton posted:

These seem to be the heavily discounted cards in question. $7.99 for 60 days. drat good discount. Not a ton of them though!

Yep, those are the ones in question. Normally I'd just continue to do the F2P thing and be happy with that, but that was just too good a bargain to pass up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Just an update, I got the game card codes (they offered to just send the codes without having to wait for the card) and applied one successfully. Stupid question time: I got 2 60-day time card codes, should I apply 'em both or wait to use the 2nd one after the first one runs out? Whenever I subbed to an MMO previously, I always just used a credit card. Figured I'd just ask, now I'm off to retcon some of my previous Gold characters. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I had a bunch of gold-level characters that I hadn't played since last year, so I ended up downgrading a couple of them to silver level so I could play F2P. Then I got a couple of game time cards off of Amazon the other day, and applied one of the codes, which put my account back at "subscribed" status.

After I did that, I could play the gold-level characters I hadn't downgraded just fine...but it wouldn't let me play the silver-level characters at all. I had to upgrade them back to gold-level to play them first. :iiam:

(E: I should note that this is not a complaint, though, as I was happy to take the silver-level dudes back and retcon them to get them some better powers and whatnot. :v:)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 1, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I've got what is hopefully just a silly question. I'm at the point where I've got a couple of level 25 characters that I can create a Nemesis for. However, during the creation process, when it gets to the "Choose Nemesis Minion" screen, it doesn't actually show the minion. The option is there to zoom in and out, but the buttons are grayed out. No matter what minion type (undead, soldiers, etc.) or class (ranged, melee, etc.) I pick, I never get to see what they look like before continuing on. Is it just me, or is it a bug, or did Cryptic/PWE say "gently caress it" and assume that we'll all just have an encyclopedic knowledge of all minions and their appearance? :smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I think it was last year when I posted about how I felt kinda bad for making a character that was basically a ripoff of Marvel's Sentry (who is himself just Marvel's take on Superman). Then I went into the game and saw like three Iron Men, at least one Spider-Man, and four or five Hulks (all with different names, or in most cases "just different enough" names). And suddenly, I didn't feel so bad about my character. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Asimo posted:

Yeah, I'm almost positive that everyone in ChampO connects to the same server. Same thing for STO, leading to hilarity of certain global messages coming up in French/German/etc. when triggered by a player of the appropriate region.

Clearly their Universal Translator needs some work! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Not sure if anyone else might have seen this, but apparently a new studio named Cryptic North has been founded (apparently comprised mainly of Flying Lab people, who were behind the Pirates of the Burning Sea game I believe). Their stated goal at the moment is to polish up CO.

quote:

How long has the new studio been operating? How many people are currently there?

Jack Emmert: We began talks to bring Rusty and his team in and establish Cryptic North before December of 2012.

Russell Williams: Yeah, we went full speed ahead in January of 2013, but we've also been collaborating with each other for years, back when most of Cryptic North was still Flying Lab. We have 12 people in the Seattle Studio, but we have transplants from Cryptic come up here just as we have our Northerners go down there, so the studio size varies pretty dramatically from week-to-week.

quote:

What's Cryptic North going to be working on, exactly?

RW: Right now we are working hand-in-hand with the Cryptic Studios team on Champions Online, though we contribute to Star Trek Online and Neverwinter.

quote:

Will Cryptic North be working projects independent from Redwood's?

RW: A definite possibility. Right now we are focusing on polishing and improving Champs. Longer term, who knows?