Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
How long will that $30 for three month subscription last? I'm trying to get the game patched up now (if Steam cooperates) and wanted to try it for a bit before I get a subscription, but that does seem like a good deal.

Edit: I've skimmed the first post, and it sounds like CO is similar to City of Heroes in that you can make most things work, but some sets just perform better than others. Does that sound about right? I'm planning to roll an archetype to learn the game with, and then if I subscribe I'll play around with the freeform power system. That was what interested me when the game first came out, but I wasn't ready to put the money out on another superhero MMO at the time.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

henkman posted:

3 months

I probably deserve that, but I mean how long is the sale going for?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Aphrodite posted:

You have to finish the tutorial first.

What you want to do is make a throwaway character, finish the tutorial, delete it, and have all the pieces for your real character (Who can now skip the tutorial.)

Man, I was wondering where all the wacky options were. Good thing I already made a throwaway character!

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Aphrodite posted:

Also because the OP is terrible and buried this halfway down, here's how to join the chat channel:
So, how do I get in on Goon action?
We've got a global chat channel. Type "/channel_join SuperGoon" into your chatbox.

Alternate method: Right-click on a chat tab to bring up the chat options, and the second tab of that lets you find new channels. I knew about the cross-game chat (a great idea) but when I started up CO I was already subscribed to GoonTrek from my STO days.

The whole power system and everything will take some time getting used to, but the client was easy to grasp since it's the same as STO's.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I haven't logged in today to ask my next stupid question, so I'll ask it here. Does CO have costume auras like CoH does? If they do, where do I find them? It hasn't been obvious, but then I'm kind of looking for a big aura tab to jump out at me.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
CoX was so strict on it because Marvel threatened to sue them for infringement once. ("Uhhh your main dude has a mask that looks like Magneto's helmet. Magneto invented that!") I'm guessing CO never had to go through that.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

BlueDestiny posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the rock skin option. Max out that glow and watch your head turn into a light bulb.

Yes, but is it as good as CoH's light bulb?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
What are you talking about? That thing is great.

The goal is to make you want to nuke the entire city off the map, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

joshtothemaxx posted:

I will never ever buy a lifetime sub for any game ever because the one time I considered it -- and did NOT actually get it -- was for Hellgate London.

Yeah, I don't blame you. You're not going to find that kind of luck again.

That's like not buying the winning lottery ticket and finding out the grand prize was waking up buried in live tuna every day for the rest of your life.