Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reposted for new thread!

Most Costume contests are dumb. The categories are dumb and the people who host them often choose their friends and well known players.

They're outdoing us, people. We can be dumb. We're good at dumb. Bluhman has generously offered to bankroll a Goon costume contest with 3 prizes of 100g (Or more with smaller prizes if we get a lot of good ideas, I guess?)

The idea is currently that we come up with a bunch of really dumb and/or extremely restrictive categories that we do not announce beforehand. Then when everyone is gathered, we announce them one by one. "Okay everyone, for the next round please switch to your Breast Cancer Awareness costumes" etc. It doesn't have to all be one way either, we can mix it up. If a joke works better being named after the winner is chosen that's fine too.

Alternately if we don't get enough good categories we have the old standby of Worst (Which of course you only announce after the winners have been chosen and named.)

So share your themes, and any other ideas you might have (Example: The Lightning round. The judges run down the contestants lines with Superspeed, not stopping to look at anyone along the way.)

Edit: Jan has pledged another 100g.
jjac has offered 100g.
delfin has offered "some hundreds".

Some ideas from SG chat:
Costume that most makes me hungry for a Quizno's sub. Chicken Carbonara ONLY.
Costume most reminiscent of my fallen idol Jimi Hendrix RP'd by teenage superhero Purple Haze
Female costume most likely to be created by a male
A talent round
A Q&A round
Most likely to make me go watch Twin Peaks for a 5th time
Best Hulk/Iron Man costume. No clones.
Costume that best represents the number I was thinking of
Best Demon Device costume (Or any other device)
Best Millenia Ranger homage
Costume Edward Cullen would choose second over Bella
Costume that most closely resembles the score to the film The Titanic
Best use of costume piece 'bare hands'
Costume that makes the dead pixel in the middle of my screen turn the prettiest color
Best costume whose theme song could be 'No Rain' by Blind Melon
Best homage to Rainbow Unicorn Attack
Costume I closed my eyes and pointed to
Costume I would buy if it went on sale but not at full price
Miming
Corny Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Romance Novel Covers (Emphasis on CORNY)
Lords and Ladies FROM SPAAAAACE
Foxbat's #1 Fan
Manimal Hunter
Slendermen and Women (Tall, thin, long-limbed costumes)
MAXXXX mass/height slider
gently caress the Ocean
Cosplay Disasters
Snake Gulch Park Employee
Most Likely to Appear in a Sex Offender Registry
Rocket-Powered Hobos
IT CAME FROM CLUB CAPRICE
Famous Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds
The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime (Neon Green color scheme)
Free/Silver Costume Pieces ONLY (no unlockables either)
Rejected VIPER Armor Suit Designs
Bootleg Versions of Famous Heroes
A Tribute to Rob Liefeld
Closest Resemblance to Abe Vigoda
Most Likely to Perform at Eurovision
Person Who Gives the Judges the Largest Bribe
Denied Entrance To Club Caprice Because, C'mon, Seriously, Look At You
Largest Disconnect Between Character Name and Appearance
Most Punchable Face / Costume
Best 1960s-1970s Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Character so totally rigged for El Kabong
Best Combination of Antlers and Necktie
Most Likely to Have Been Shoved Into a Locker in High School
Best Powered Armor Suit with a Monocle
Capt. Thalidomide's Hall of Fame
Best Charlie Sheen
Best Philandering President
Best Zombie Billie Mays
Best Board Game Character caught in a strip club
Best-Dressed Farm Animal
Best Arnold Movie Character in a Comedy
Best Casey/Caylee Anthony (too soon?)
Most accurate A-Team
Closest Eric Estrada during CHIPs
Best Simultaneous Parody of Hulk & Deadpool
Best Nightmare On Sesame St.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should probably be noted that Unstable Accelerant applies on tap, so midfight you don't have to wait for the long charge.

The second picture in the OP, after the lizard in bondage gear, is what Gigabolt looks like. Gigabolt is awesome, use it.

Bluhman posted:

This is true for pretty much all the PA attacks. However, Chest Beam is a very notable exception, as its high energy cost, powerful blast, and defense debuff make it actually really versatile for other characters. I have a robotic might tank that uses it, and he does absurd damage with that combined with demolish; he could probably outdamage some of my Blaster/Scrapper type characters while both defense debuffs are up.

Laser Sword is another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Supergroup rename function is the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Also yes, low gravity is an option for the moonbase.

It's not an option. You can't turn it off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What costume pieces are those, by the way?

Or do you still have the costume file saved by any chance? I have a character that really needs to glow, but all of the pieces I've found show through too well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Well, theoretically an option. :v:

Cryptic...

No, the bug is that the option appears, not that it doesn't work. You're not supposed to be able to toggle it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems that the math on Melee passives has been broken for... ever.

They just discovered it as part of the TK review.

Ame posted:

So, without getting too into it, the math for the melee passives is just kinda wrong. It makes for high values of damage bonus when you are low rank and low Super Stat, but gets progressively less good as you increase rank and Super Stat value. At Rank 1, the melee passives are better than a Rank 1 equivalent Energy Form passive until you reach a combined total of ~900 Super Stats. At Rank 2, that number drops to a combined total of ~680 Super Stats, and at Rank 3, it happens at a combined total of ~500 Super Stats. And even before that point, at Rank 3, the melee passive is only providing a marginally better damage bonus than the Energy Form passives.

This is not what was intended. As such, I've replaced the formula for Id Mastery with a corrected formula, such that it will always be providing a higher damage increase to melee Ego damage than Ego Form does to all Ego damage. We'll be including that change in an upcoming PTS push, and doing some testing. This formula change will also affect WotW and Unstoppable. At Rank 1, the 3 melee passives will get slightly weakened, losing up to ~5% damage bonus if you have low Super Stat values. At Rank 3, with combined Super Stat values of ~300, it will go from 64% to 71%. With combined SS of ~600, it will go from providing a damage bonus of 77% to 100%.

It might change the AOPM superiority a bit when it goes in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does make you look like you haven't bathed, though.

Also new rule for our CC: NO COWBOY ROBOTS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Allatum posted:

I don't see too many people who are melee focused actually use the melee passives. Usually it's defiant, AoPM, or LR. Granted, this is from the narrow grouping of people I find in the T4 arenas.

Quarry is still best anyways. :colbert:

Arenas are different. An offensive passive is suicide there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen a few attempts at this, but this guy's came out the best.

sentrygun posted:

You guys are organizing goon run costume contests

and you didn't invite me.

:smith:

(i'll be back :doom:... at some point)

You know you can just login and show up on a freebie character right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even though Cryptic removed all the flesh tones from the costume color palette, there's a few that are still quite close. As long as they're not beside actual flesh, you usually can't tell the difference.

I ran out of ideas on one character, so I just started copying real characters for the hell of it. Mary Marvel was easy to do. Lightning Lass I got really close.

Then I tried Hotwire from The Batman.

This is what she looks like:

This is what the CO costume looks like:

Good enough for a costume I'm never actually going to use.

One slight problem, though...
http://oi55.tinypic.com/jpy2k0.jpg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you do use Spirit Reverb/Void Shift/Burning Chi Fist interaction you have to do this every time Evasive is up. No exceptions. You are significantly less badass if you do not:
Void Shift to apply Fear if it's not already up, Burning Chi Fist, Evasive Maneuvers, Void Shift. Then continue burning them with your mighty Chi or Dragon Kicks.

It's even more badass if you use Breakaway Shot instead of Evasive Maneuvers, but that has a significantly higher energy cost. Plus Breakaway has no cooldown, so you may find yourself forgetting to use real attacks because of how cool you look.

Still, this is a superhero game. Looking cool is way more important.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I bought a lifetime subscription to this and logged in for the first time randomly yesterday. I have a bunch of tokens but no idea of what to spend them on. My character is a gadgeteer, I don't even think my level is particularly high, like 25 or something. Thoughts?

Cosmetics, mostly.

Costumes, travel power skins, hideouts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also have regular 20% sales if you really want to save points. The latest releases (Usually the most recent travel power skin, costume and device) aren't discounted but everything else is.

Asimo posted:

(sure you have 16, but you'll run out... eventually...)

You do get a new character slot every time you hit 40 with a Gold character though. So you can technically have infinite slots for free.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

You make the flawed assumption that you can reliably get to 40 before ADDing your way into some other new gimmick concept. :shepface: (Granted, then it's a matter of pruning old redundant ones, but...)

You'd be surprised.

ognar has like 9 level 40s.

Inzombiac posted:

Dang, I haven't played this in a long time but I'm starting to get the itch. So, my old characters will have to be respecced into an archetype and what premium costume pieces I had will no longer be available, right?

Correct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlyinPingu posted:

Well, if by premium you mean ones you've spent Cryptic funbucks on then you'll still have those.

There are premium only packs though. They're a mix of new pieces and old ones too, so it's possible he could have some costume parts no longer usable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New category: Best unaltered use of a Costume Set.

I've seen >90% Cyborg Beast, Epic Samurai and High Plains Drifter costumes win stuff in the last week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of you guys have soloed Resistance on Elite, right?

What kind of builds did you use? I want to get myself some cool wings, and I have 7 respecs to play with so it's no big deal popping out of my current build and back later. My gear on my 40 is for a Dex/Ego/Rec build, if that makes a difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bluhman posted:

Even then, the resistance wings are actually quite cheap nowadays in the auction house. I was able to buy a pair for around 15g.

I've never run it anyway though, so I figured I'd do that and grab them at the same time.

I guess I'll still have to respec for the end, there's no way my Archery build is surviving anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Defile is also potentially useful for Fire and Ice, as they focus more on AoE powers and lack a decent single-target nuke. The toxic-debuff effect won't affect their other powers sure, but it still hits like a goddamn truck with either of their offensive passives.

Fire has Heat Wave.

whatspeakyou posted:

I can't figure out why, but i've seen quite a few Pestilence users in lowbie pvp (11-20). Maybe down there it rocks. I dunno. I've been pvping with a str/con might guy down there with Invulnerability, Bio shielding, and unbreakable, so i don't even notice the passive damage. Perhaps its good for.... yeah i dunno. can't figure that one out.

They could also be forced to take it to meet the requirements for some other power at a low bracket like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

delfin posted:

You know what? Sell me on Ice Form. I've run a Glacier to L40 and a Freeform with mostly Ice to L38 so far, and I've found much more success running the Freeform as Improved Glacier (Invuln / Avalanche tank in Protector) than I did trying to use Shatter while leveling.

He means Ice Form for Infernal. Toxic damage is part of the Elemental family, so it's raised by Ice and Fiery Forms.

doomfunk posted:

It's not Ice Form, and it covers everything in bugs, but it's not terrible. It's also worth mentioning that the other passives that buff toxic damage output in any way (aside from Quarry) only grant any defense vs elemental attacks, which are uncommon at best.

Uncommon is better than the no defense Pestilence offers, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nope, IDF scales off superstats.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skin availability, by the way:

Medium only
Medium only
Medium only
Both

Heavy only
Medium only
Both
Both

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 13, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gimmick weapons would probably be their own pack, if they ever do them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The horse dildo sword missing though? Didn't expect that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everything works well enough in the game. You might need to respec to do Elite stuff or PvP, but you can hit 40 and group fine with any build.

I would recommend Darkness be your focus and you take some sword skills, though. The other way around probably won't work as well. Single Blade is luckily the MA tree that relies least on crit stats, so you can still use it with Darkness friendly superstats.

Con/End are usually what Darkness builds go for, but you can use Int or Rec just fine too. End is good to keep because a big Energy pool, while normally an annoyance for any other build, is good with Dark Transfusion. If you do swap something out I'd swap out Con, not End.

Also keep in mind that unless you're really set on a specific sword model or something, Heavy Weapons are wielded in one hand for animation reasons. I think Single Blade probably works better, but it's an option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

doomfunk posted:

The big thing that'll intrude on your effectiveness pairing those two specific sets is a general lack of synergy. Darkness doesn't rely on setting anything up, whereas Single Blade relies heavily on applying and then rupturing bleeds.
Also, rupture damage can crit now - it's not AS crit reliant, but crits REALLY help Single Blade.

Well, my thinking was that he wouldn't be Rupturing.

Honestly if it was me I'd just take Scything to put Swallowtail on, and Dragon's Bite to pop Rush. That's all you'd need from the set.

I wouldn't recommend any passive but Shadow Form for soloing, though. Darkness attacks are already relatively weak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I did a thing. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

Of course he has an Energon Axe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

What the hell powerset did you give him?

Heavy Weapon EB for the axe.

Power Gauntlet to have a PA power so I can choose Laser Sword.

It's not like I'm going to play him or anything, I just did it to swing energon weapons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably. All you would need is the axe, Assault Rifle with an alien tech-ey skin, and Might powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, fess up. Which one of you is this?

delfin posted:

Is it possible to get a more chrome-like finish?

Try the greys that are closer to white.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Is that thing about retailer exclusiveness on boxed copy codes true? I have two copies from amazon right now, I've used one, but that's pretty lame if another amazon copy will never work for me again. I really don't wanna pay 15 bucks a month, but 5 I can stand.

Sort of.

It might work, it might not. There's no way to say for sure "2 copies from retailer X will not both work".

Except maybe Walmart. Walmart's copies had 500 free points with them, so if anything is blocked from multiple activation it's probably those.

delfin posted:

If you're trying to raise your crafting score, go up to 5/5 and stop there. The closer you are to 5/5, the more points you'll get from the research (and the more components you'll get out of it as well, as well as discoveries/profundities/epiphanies), but once you hit 5/5 the crafting points you'll get are capped.

No, no, no.

You level up faster doing 1/5s.

Early on (pre-100) do 5/5s, but after that just grind 1/5s to level up your skill. Then when you cap out you do 5/5 for material.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My mistake, it's 2/5s for efficiency. Not 1/5s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Millenia Rangers spin-off never caught on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

That's not a color! :argh:

Yeah well, you spelled Milennia wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saw these guys hanging around the tailor.

Their supergroup is called "The Marvel Ultimate Alliance"

The Iron Man is called Stony Tark, the Luke Cage is Luke C., the Spider-Man is Spidey-Man and the Deadpool is The Undercover Hero. He's also the black armored guy in the Iron Man picture. Not sure who that's supposed to be.

They're all pretty bad, but there's something to be said for the organization.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Druidic Sanctum is really nice. It's a big change to the design of the Sanctum hideout.

The Cave one suffers a bit because they accidentally released all 4 locales, when each pack should have come with one. By already having the locales this ends up being just a furniture pack so it's not as cool.

The Djinn device just annoys me. It uses a bunch of existing powers mechanically, but with Wind animations instead. Why can't we do that, Cryptic?

Tornado Flight isn't flashy enough. You can't change the color of the tornado itself so it never stands out because it's brown. The effect is also diminished quite a bit when you move. It should have used the animation that the Djinn have naturally, but then I guess there would be issues with any animations that use feet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would probably take Tempest for AoE over Shadow Embrace for Pistols/Darkness. If you're using Quarry or Defiance the bonus to Shadow Embrace is nothing, and it already has lower damage to compensate for its control advantages.

Besides, Lead Tempest is 90% of the reason you'd want to be Dual Pistols instead of just general Munitions. The other 10% is Bullet Ballet.

Regarding Tornado Flight, one thing I didn't get to try on the PTS is the environmental effects. Apparently it acts like Earth Flight and picks up an effect depending where you cast it. In the Powerhouse there were some stones in the tornado, but people on the forums say it picks up leaves, sand and fire too.

If it was dynamic and picked stuff up as you traveled over them I'd be all over that, but as it is it's too boring to spend money on. Maybe if a Wind powerset ever comes out, but right now it's not enough for me to make a character for, nor do I have any who would use it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't terribly recent, but they smartened up the targeting AI and raised the chances a bit. It will actually kill minions 90% of the time in a single maintain now, and any it doesn't are usually low enough to be killed by a tap of Assault Rifle or Mojo.

Also it looks awesome, and as I've explained before, that's what's most important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SMG shares some models with the pistols I think, so if you're really set on the theme that's an option. It's mostly the pistol models that already look like SMGs, though.