Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
And I just updated Steam, and I'm still seeing all of my installed games. All 8 games are installed to the default library folder, ~/Library/Application Support/Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

kode54 posted:

And I just updated Steam, and I'm still seeing all of my installed games. All 8 games are installed to the default library folder, ~/Library/Application Support/Steam.

Very weird, since I'm currently following a thread on the steam forums posted by someone else having my issue. I'm running 10.9.2. You?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I booted Steam up today, and apparently it's fixed now. :toot:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It just broke for me for the first time on mountain lion. Super annoying

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know if anyone cares, but thanks to the latest humble bundle, I ended up with a copy of Euro Truck Simulator 2. Of course, I can't play it since there's no OS X version (just Windows and Linux), so I messaged them asking if they're still working on the mac port, and they wrote back:

SCS posted:

Hello,
We are working hard on a Mac OS X port of Euro Truck Simulator 2, but we expect there to be still several months of work ahead of us. We are not yet able to estimate the release date of the Mac version.

Thanks for your patience!

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Not sure if i should post this here or the WoW thread. I recently got a 5k iMac and love it. I played wow at 5k with mostly good settings. ran decent. got 30fps usually, but it ran hot. I moved it down to 1440p and now it very blurry. Even more so than when I use to play at 1080p. I moved the settings up to high/ultra on most things and still get 60fps but it still seems blurry. Is this a retina thing? Should I use a different resolution? Any ideas?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I booted Steam up today, and apparently it's fixed now. :toot:

Spoke too soon, this seems to be an intermittent issue, and I haven't figured out what is the cause.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

badjohny posted:

Not sure if i should post this here or the WoW thread. I recently got a 5k iMac and love it. I played wow at 5k with mostly good settings. ran decent. got 30fps usually, but it ran hot. I moved it down to 1440p and now it very blurry. Even more so than when I use to play at 1080p. I moved the settings up to high/ultra on most things and still get 60fps but it still seems blurry. Is this a retina thing? Should I use a different resolution? Any ideas?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like it's bilinear filtering up from 1440p to 2880p, which is as dumb as it sounds.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

kode54 posted:

I'm not sure, but it sounds like it's bilinear filtering up from 1440p to 2880p, which is as dumb as it sounds.

I don't know what any of that means :) I put it back up to 5k resolution and will play like that I guess.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

badjohny posted:

The new version of WoW changed the antialiasing option to a new style which I don't remember the four-letter acronym for but you can find if you google it I'm sure.

Anyway this mandatory AA scheme looks like vaseline but is the new normal.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

If you're running at 5k I doubt you really need AA anyways, just disable it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yea, I actually got sick of it last night and disabled AA entirely. I think the sharpness is worth it even though it looks "worse".

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Yosemite has been a huge step backwards for graphical performance in CS:GO specifically. I went from getting 60-70fps smoothly and consistently to 40-60fps and its really thrown off my game. The whole game just feels slower. I've hosed with the settings and moved everything to low. I haven't tried lowering the resolution, yet. I am going to try and disable transparency in OSX and see if that does anything..This is maxed out late 2013 iMac so its not the hardware. lovely graphics drivers in Yosemite, perhaps? A true step backwards though, it feels like.

Honestly I've been tempted to go back to Mavericks, but I love the WiFi calling so I'm going to wait it out and hope they loving fix this poo poo. Pretty disappointing, that's for sure. I think if the situation is ever fixed in Yosemite I'll be waiting a long, long time before upgrading to OSX San Joaquin Valley.

/worthlesspost

edit: Holy loving poo poo. It was the transparency...I ticked Reduced Transparency and holy christ its a brand new game...100fps in CS:GO without it with everything on low at native resolution. I'm happy to have my game back. Reduce transparency if your games are lovely under Yosemite!

decypher fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 20, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just found this out right now, but Retro City Rampage has been released for OS X! :toot:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Family Values posted:

If you're running at 5k I doubt you really need AA anyways, just disable it.

at 5k it looks fine. and AA is disabled. But it chugs in certain areas. Anywhere outdoors i get 15-20fps. I put it down to 1880p last night and it appears to not be as blurry as 1440p or 1080p. Its still very noticeable though. I will keep messing with it. I posted to the mac tech support forum on blizzard to see if anyone had any ideas also.

**edit**

someone replied on the blizzard boards saying if I am not at native resolution, it will always be blurry. I play Heroes of the storm, diablo3, and starcraft 2 all at 1440p and they look perfect. I was under the assumption that as long as the resolution I am playing at is half or 1/4 (i don't think i am saying that right...) of the 5k it still look normal. so playing at 1440p should still look fine.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 20, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Smart games know about the high DPI display, and can opt to use nearest neighbor scaling at exact integer factors. Basically, this means that at 1440p, it would scale 2x by filling every square of four pixels with the same color from the quarter resolution image.

What WoW appears to be doing is bilinear scaling. Basically, it stretches the picture to 2x by filling in the missing information with the exact average of the neighboring pixels, ie. blending them together. This makes sense for non-integer factors, but not for exact integer factors like 2x, which would look best on that sort of display when using simple blocky pixels.

Should be doing:

code:
abcd            aabbccdd
efgh     ->     aabbccdd
ijkl            eeffgghh
mnop            eeffgghh
                iijjkkll
                iijjkkll
                mmnnoopp
                mmnnoopp
Instead it does:

code:
abcd            a.b.c.d.
efgh     ->     ........
ijkl            e.f.g.h.
mnop            ........
                i.j.k.l.
                m.n.o.p.
Now imagine all those dots are filled with the averages, forming a blurry mess. Except it's probably way worse, because it's stretching it to slightly larger than 2.0x so that the far right (2560th) column of the image lines up with the far right (5120th) pixel of the monitor, so none of the whole original pixels end up lining up exactly with a target pixel, adding to the blurriness. Same goes for 1440th row being stretched onto the 2880th row. Not that it's likely to make much of a difference by that point.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.
Why the hell do I have to reinstall Civ V every time I play now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Superhaus posted:

Why the hell do I have to reinstall Civ V every time I play now?

Is it just that game? I've been experiencing that on and off, as I've posted here before about it. I'm not sure if it has something to do with in-home streaming, do you have that enabled?

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

Is it just that game? I've been experiencing that on and off, as I've posted here before about it. I'm not sure if it has something to do with in-home streaming, do you have that enabled?

I don't know because Civ is the only game I have been playing recently. It might be that in-home thing if that got turned on by default somehow. I do have Steam on 2 Windows computers in my house.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any of you guys play OpenTTD with a trackpad? I recently reinstalled it on my Mac after getting my BT trackpad and using the trackpad is basically a nightmare. I was hoping to use it as a lightweight game to play on my hour long train rides home, but if it's this bad with a trackpad then I won't bother.

Wonder if it would be worth installing BTT or something to intercept gestures and reassign them to something useful. It would be great if I could two finger swipe left/right/up/down to scroll the map instead of zooming it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Holy gently caress, Steam forgets my installed games now at least 50% of the time. Started about a week ago and seems to be getting worse. Usually after quitting and relaunching Steam my games are back but I've had to reinstall a few… a few times.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Glimpse posted:

Holy gently caress, Steam forgets my installed games now at least 50% of the time. Started about a week ago and seems to be getting worse. Usually after quitting and relaunching Steam my games are back but I've had to reinstall a few… a few times.
OS X users should probably use the Steam beta client. For example, a fix landed yesterday that might solve your issue:

quote:

Mac OS X
Fixed an issue which caused the Steam library to appear empty or fail to recognize installed games
If you're already running the beta, then I have no ideas. Sorry!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

OS X users should probably use the Steam beta client. For example, a fix landed yesterday that might solve your issue:

If you're already running the beta, then I have no ideas. Sorry!

It's funny, because I first noticed this from being in the beta, opted out, and the problem returned when Steam updated like a week later.

Got a controller question for you goons; I got a wireless xbox controller receiver, downloaded the Tattiebogle drivers, using it is no problem, all the inputs are recognised and work great with Big Picture... Except for BroForce. For whatever reason, that game just acts completely weird with the controller; I boot it up, and it doesn't recognise any input aside from the L and R triggers, which cause the menu to auto-scroll really fast the moment I hit one of them, and it doesn't stop until I click out of the game, to Finder or something (I have two monitors, so I just drag the mouse over and click). Going back in to the game seems to stop the scrolling... Until I hit L or R again, and then the whole thing happens again. Anyone experiencing anything like this?

Again, the controller works flawlessly with every other game (and Big Picture mode itself) that supports it, just not BroForce.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Another relatively new bug that hit the stable release, not sure if it's been fixed in the beta release:

Prep work:

Fresh client is all you need to reproduce it.

Steps:

Connect a PC with some games in its library and set up In Home Streaming.
Stream a game successfully.
Quit the game.
Quit Steam.

Result:

Steam will lose its icon next time you Get Info on it, and will attempt to launch the In Home Streaming client forever more, which will fail due to no games being streamed by other machines on your account.

Known workaround:

Copy or move the Steam.app to another folder, then copy it back and overwrite the original. Bam, you're fixed until the next time you quit after streaming something.

Oh well, at least now I can stream Payday 2 and Borderlands 1 properly. Well, sort of for the latter. It will start streaming the splash screen, then attempt to continue decoding the 1920x1080 mode it switches to to display the logo videos, while still set to the size of the splash logo, then it will crash the streaming client. The game will still be running, so I just click Play again and it picks up in the middle of the logos. I'll report this to them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How do I get mumble to let me use use "`" as my push to talk key on Yosemite? It wants me to enable access for assistive devices, but that's not a thing anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm not at my Mac now but there's a list of programs that are allowed to "control this computer" or something like that in Security in Sys Prefs.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

wdarkk posted:

How do I get mumble to let me use use "`" as my push to talk key on Yosemite? It wants me to enable access for assistive devices, but that's not a thing anymore.

If it has requested that type of access, it should show up in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility, and you can check it there to allow it to do whatever it wants to do.

If not, you should be able to add it manually to that list.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Bit of a weird situation: I have been checking the Appshopper page for sales on the Mac App Store for quite a while, now, all because at one point I determined I wanted Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition if the price ever dropped. Well, lo and behold it's 50% off today ($13) and my time has come.

Thing is, I can't remember why I was so dead-set on having it on the Mac. I remember feeling the Mac App Store was the only digital "automatic update" option because I think the dev had an exclusivity deal with them (i.e. no Steam). I know the EE is on iPad as well but maybe it was something like the Mac version including all the IAP?

Anyone have experience with both versions and can weigh in on whether the Mac port is worthwhile?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

XCOM plays better on my iPhone 6 than on my macbook pro.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I went and bought BG2:EE anyway but haven't had the chance to test it out.

In other App Store news, looks like point-and-click adventure Deponia is on sale for $1, down from $22. I have it on Steam already (haven't played it yet) but if you're a fan of the genre might not hurt to check it out at that price.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Deponia? I haven't played it, but from what one of my friends tells me, it's full of racism, and the protagonist is an even bigger douchebag than Larry Laffer. Unfortunately, I haven't played LSL either, so I can't make the leap.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Steam for Mac is really annoying me. It doesn't freeze, but the store doesn't always respond to clicks. I can navigate the top menu just fine (Store, Library, Community, etc) but trying to click on games in the store only works about 60% of the time.

The weirdest part is that if I plug in an external mouse I can get 100% of my clicks to register... if I click with the scroll wheel.

Why? :(

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Why? Cause Steam is a piece of poo poo for Mac. I'll get the same thing where links randomly stop working. It's annoying as gently caress. I haven't tried clicking the mouse wheel though, I'll have to try that.

Hey at least it crashes a lot less now! :bang:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How many times have you looked at the update notes for Steam, click the okay button, but for some reason it only selects the library window behind it, shoving the update window to the background? Because for me, it's all the times. That, and sometimes I can't type in the chat window anymore because it thinks I'm still holding down command/control. So any time I type an "a", it selects all, and the next letter clears it out. I think it has something to do with spaces, but I have to quit/reopen Steam at that point.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Steam's browser frequently stops responding on my Mac, and after switching pages leads to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwtob4i2gc18hu3/steam%20browser%20spazzing%20out.mp4?dl=0

kode54 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 12, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, I just got System Shock 2 on Steam, and I've been told that I should upgrade to some better unofficial engine. Can I do that? How can I?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
The Mac port is just a Wineskin bottle, or something similar that they licensed. It should be upgradeable and moddable like the Windows version.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Hey, I just got System Shock 2 on Steam, and I've been told that I should upgrade to some better unofficial engine. Can I do that? How can I?

Yeah pretty sure I did this back in the day. Don't remember how unfortunately but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea afaik there's no official mac version so you basically just find the improved zips or whatever and let them overwrite the version you have, file for file. You can do it on a copy if you're worried.

• Locked thread