Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I came in here to ask about T-Mobile's global data performance in Japan but I ended up finding a great review of the service from someone who tested it back in July: http://support.t-mobile.com/message/385971#385971

tl;dr: It works just fine. T-Mo partners with Docomo so the guy was getting 4G-esque (at least for T-Mo) speeds even though his phone was reporting a 3G connection. Calls are $0.20 a minute if you don't do WiFi calling (or, I imagine, use VoIP through Hangouts).

That basically seals the deal for me - I'm moving into an Japanese-oriented IT job here in the US and I wanted to pick up a plan that'll survive brief trips across the Pacific. It looks like T-Mo's the way to go :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Navaash posted:

I'm on Softbank so, assuming my visa renewal that I pick up tomorrow ends up being longer than a year, which of these three smartphones would be the best option?
Personally I'd recommend the Xperia Z3. I've been using a Z3 Compact (same internals, smaller size) for a few months now and I've been really impressed with Sony's ability to make a compelling smartphone. It has the best camera of any Android device, the build quality and style is sleek (and waterproof if that appeals to you), and they didn't go crazy with OS customizations so by and large it's stock Android. The Z3's lollipop update is finally rolling out too so you have that to look forward to as well.

• Locked thread