Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Broke my old iPhone 3GS last night, so I figured, what the hell, and reserved a 4S this morning. The old 4's are still the same price as they used to be for some reason, so there was really no reason not to get a 4S. Hope I don't get too much of a delay because I need a drat phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I don't suppose that there's someone here who reserved an iPhone 4S and has gotten a confirmation that the phone will be ready tomorrow? I can see on my smashed iPhone I got a mail on my i.softbank mail, which I basically never use and don't give the address to anyone, so I'm wondering if they sent me a mail saying my phone will come in... so I wondering if anyone else got some kind of confirmation mail, and how it came.

Edit: I'm seeing on a 4S mixi community that a lot of people who reserved well after I did got a call that their phone will come tomorrow, so I hope that mine will be there.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 13, 2011

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Just my luck, my 4S will be in tomorrow, but I have to go to Kanagawa in the morning and stay the night there for a rugby game, so I'll be picking my phone up on Monday.

tyblazitar posted:

Yeah, guess that's my only hope, problem is finding someone with a phone that isn't registered on mixi. I considered buying a cheap-rear end plan, but I only have around 8 months left of my stay, and don't really need it for anything other than mixi, so I figured it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm sure there's someone who has two phones who would help you out.

Anyway even if you don't get it done, mixi kinda sucks, so I wouldn't worry about it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

on iPhone, I use Kotoba all the time as a dictionary (and have learned looking up kanji by SKIP to make use of that for unfamiliar characters) and then added an iPhone Safari bookmark to Hyperdia's English site on to my front page to check train times. But I'm in the inaka and all we have is JR lines - Hyperdia went to hell for me when I was in Tokyo - so your mileage may vary.

Really that's....it. The other fantastic thing is iMessage in the iOS 5 update since I can now message my friends with iPhones overseas. For free. It's awesome (at least for me, if your entire family has iPhones then you might like it as much).

乗換案内 is what I use for trains

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Someone posted this in the iPhone thread: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

I like how EVERY OTHER CARRIER in Asia outside of Japan let's you use your iPhone as a personal hotspot

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

tarepanda posted:

If you're legitimately going to use tethering, can you enable it on your own or do you need to go to the docomo shop?

They don't support tethering period. If you legitimately need it and don't want to risk them ripping you a new one you'll have to fork out for a mobile wifi, insofar as I'm aware.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, they do support tethering. I ended up going down to ask and they have to enable it on your account first.

Ah whoops, last time we were talking about iPhones, so I didn't notice that you said Docomo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Crosspost from Japan Megathread:

Does anyone have any experience with wifi-only services in Japan? I have someone who comes to Japan once a month or so on business, which isn't enough to justify the expense of a mobile-wifi dongle, but wants to use wifi.

Boingo Asia Pacific seems to have a decent service, with just shy of 700 hotspots in Tokyo for 1,000 yen a month, but I was wondering if anyone knew of similar services which might be better.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Try Wi2:
http://300.wi2.co.jp/

380 yen/month, no contract start/termination fees, ~13000 wifi spots nationwide. This is the company that provides a lot of (but not all?) the wifi available for free to Softbank and KDDI users. So if your friend sees a Softbank Wifi, au Wifi, or Yahoo BB sticker and pays for Wi2, he'll probably be able to use the access point.

Wow that's cheap and looks great. Thank you so much.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I'm thinking I might try and go for a mobile wifi hotspot for a while instead of setting up my apartments wifi... I want a mobile wifi hub anyway and I figure it will cut down on distractions like games and youtube and poo poo while I'm busy working. Is this a terrible idea?

I'm working my way through this thread but the mobile wifi hub data conversation is something like half a year old or so, so if there's any new info or a goon consensus on the best mobile wifi service I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

SoftBank makes you pay up-front if you don't have your gaijin card or if your contract would be longer than your visa; AU doesn't care (or at least doesn't require you to buy the phone up-front). On the other hand, at least it means my iPhone bill on SoftBank has rarely been more than 5000/month.

I definitely didn't have a visa longer than a 2 year contract when I got my iPhone, but I dunno YMMV.

• Locked thread