Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Better hope they mean the beginning of November:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I'm relocating to Japan at the end of December and contemplating picking up an unlocked iPhone 4s to use over there. I'd be signing up with softbank. Am I going to be losing any discounts on service by not buying the phone from them?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Is there any trick to getting softbank to let you sign up for a SIM only contract with a factory unlocked iPhone 4S? I've been flat out told that they can't do it twice.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Softbank won't let you contract with an unlocked phone that they didn't sell you (or at least they didn't when I tried two years ago with an iPhone 4s) and au is CDMA, so it's docomo or one of its MVNO's (like bmobile) if you want to use a factory unlocked phone. Just contract with au or Softbank, imo. Bonus for iPhones on Softbank, chronicunlocks claims to be able to get your phone unlocked for $150USD. I wouldn't bet on it actually working, but if you're in the mood to gamble :D

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

SoftBank makes you pay up-front if you don't have your gaijin card or if your contract would be longer than your visa; AU doesn't care (or at least doesn't require you to buy the phone up-front). On the other hand, at least it means my iPhone bill on SoftBank has rarely been more than 5000/month.

I had to pay upfront too for a new 4s despite a 3 year visa, but it wasn't the full unsubsidized cost which was nice. I did let myself get suckered into a photoframe (WHY?), so my bill is a bit more. Weird thing is, though, I think I was able to get a iPhone 5s on monthly payments (and a two year renewal) by ordering online despite my visa being scheduled to expire in December. I'm a bit paranoid that they'll just bill me for the cost, but it doesn't seem like they'd try pulling something like that without warning.

• Locked thread