Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I'm going to be travelling to Japan for 3 weeks next month (so this is a very belated time to finally ask this question, I know), and I'd like to rent a SIM card with a data plan for ease of use/travel. I may also need to use it to call hotels and such; especially for late check-in times due to delays in transport. The Asakusa hotel I'm staying in when I first arrive since I land at Narita at 8PM and the hotel in Kusatsu - where we'll be heading to from Kyoto - are my major concerns for this.

I'll be joined after my first week by a friend who's renting (already booked, even) pocket wi-fi, and the only unlocked phone I have is an iPhone 3GS. Last time I went I rented a Softbank SIM for the week, but since it only takes 600kb to hit the 1500yen/day mark, I definitely don't want to pay up to $300+ USD if I end up going on the data plan by accident instead of being on my friend's wi-fi. bmobile apparently seems to be data plan only, and most SIM cards are now for iPhone 4 and up. I'm not especially attached to the idea of renting a SIM card, and would be open to renting a phone as well.

Would bmobile and just relying on payphones at stations/the airport to call be the best option here? Or should I suck up the extra cost for definite convenience and rent a phone? (I'm considering http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/iphonerent.html if that's the case.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread