Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Mecharasputin posted:

I'll be staying in Tokyo for a year and am planning to get an iPhone, is it even possible to get one bought in Japan to work when I'm back in Europe? Is it possible to buy an unlocked one straight from Apple and just plop a Softbank/Docomo/Whomever SIM? The cost of the handset itself is not a major issue as long as I can use it back home.

No unlocked handsets from either carrier here without a 24 months plan. Even then, only DoCoMo unlocks phones.

Bmobile will work though. I've been using their smart phone sim with a nexus 4 from back home.

paberu fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Why don't you get an unlocked iPhone from Europe and buy a Voice and Data Sim from Bmobile? If this isn't your primary way of accessing the internet then I think you'll be able to live with just 3G.

With Softbank you'll also have to pay a fee for early termination.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

B-mobile also has an LTE plan now, but I don't know if it's compatible with non Japanese handsets.

• Locked thread