Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dai
Aug 9, 2002

MediumWellDone posted:

Thanks for the input. It's pretty much what I had found too. I'm just wonder how legit those imei sites are, and whether or not it's better to just jump on a plan that comes with a phone.

I'm finding pretty much the same thing. I have a 5s I got from Softbank two years ago, and they basically said "go gently caress yourself". Since my initial two-year contract is about to come to an end, it also sounds like I would have to get a new data plan that -- surprise, surprise -- would jump to 8,000 yen/month from my current 5,000.

Since that one magic month where I can get out of my contract is coming up soon, I'm looking at jumping to an MVNO. In a perfect world, I'd get my current phone unlocked so I could use it and not have to pay for a new handset. If Softbank is determined to be an rear end in a top hat about this and I can't find an unlock service that seems legit, I might have to get a new phone and run with that.

I'll do the math first, but from what I've read so far it sounds like paying for an unlocked phone up front and going with service from an MVNO can actually be cheaper in the long run. Cheaper even than a phone and service from one of the big three with all of their discounts and crap.

I don't suppose anyone has any recommendations about getting an iPhone freed from Softbank's greedy stranglehold...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dai
Aug 9, 2002

Believe me -- I want to go with one of those plans, but I need a phone to go down that road. If my phone remains locked, I'm screwed.

The MVNO carriers I"m looking at seem to run about 1,500-2,000 yen for a decent amount of data and a voice plan. I would really like to go with that, but if I can't get my phone unlocked from Softbank, then I'll have to buy a new phone.

Just running some rough calculations, though, it looks like I could get a new unlocked 64 GB 6s for 98,800, which comes out to 4,400 a month. Throw on a 1,600 voice/data plan from an MVNO, and I'm at 6,000 yen/month -- still less than the 8,000 yen per month Softbank is threatenin.... er, offering.

If I can get my current phone unlocked, that would save me a whole lot of cash. It really, really irritates me that Softbank won't (not can't) unlock an iPhone that was purchased before May of last year.

• Locked thread