Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
How did I not know this thread existed I never would have signed up with AU had I known

B-mobile has a call+data plan for 3120/month right now which is great, and LTE enabled if your phone supports it. This website has the relevant details, should probably be included in the OP: http://www.japanmobiletech.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Handsets may finally get landline numbers! (Provided LTE gets class A ratings and NTT doesn't scuttle the whole thing. Still, a boy can dream)

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2013/12/japan-communications-to-bring-landline.html

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Stringent posted:

Get an unlocked phone and do that. I got a friend here using it now and it's quite adequate.

In the meantime I bought a Nexus 5 through google's site and purchased a SIM card for this plan. The LTE speeds aren't super fast but it's definitely usable and really no complaints so far. Setting up the subscription is somewhat of a pain since the online activation site is all in Japanese, but running it through google translate made it easier.

I highly recommend this plan for anyone looking for reasonably priced パケ放題. I'm not a power user and have only used up about 800MB of the allotted 3GB.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Stringent posted:

What kind of LTE speeds are you getting if you don't mind sharing?

I live in Tokyo. I haven't tested speeds but they seem variable. From my workplace it's sloooooow, about 200kbps. At other points like on the subway it goes much faster, but I don't have any numbers.

Sadly you'll have to pay twice as much per month with a different provider for better speeds or you can purchase turbo chunks of 500mb or 100mb for 1200 yen and 300 yen respectively. For my usage messaging and mobile websites and Google maps load plenty fast for me, but downloading large files or media heavy websites are much too slow.

For my purposes it's great but definitely not for everyone. I question whether I really need the 3gb 'hi speed' when it's fairly difficult to achieve those speeds anyway, especially in regards to VoIP which at this point is not recommended. This website explains it better than I can: http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2014/01/updated-comparison-of-b-mobile-products.html#recommend

Kodo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 10, 2014

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

You have the same bands so technically it should work (band 1). Make sure you get the right SIM size too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Anaxite posted:

Like some previous posters, I'm soon going to Japan for a year and will need a phone. I have no idea how often I'd actually be using voice service, but I'll be there as a student.

If I read correctly, is my best bet an unlocked phone + b-mobile data SIM card、 or a wifi hotspot?

Wifi hotspots are still obnoxious to locate and sign up for (a lot of them restrict to 30 minutes per session, limited number of sessions/one session per day), but at the same time b mobile requires proof of residency so you can't even sign up for the long term plans until you get your alien registration card.

• Locked thread