Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I'm planning to spend 3 weeks in Japan this coming fall. My phone is a bog standard US Verizon iPhone 5S (A1533) purchased via Apple Store. My anticipated needs are 1) maps, lots of maps (probably also translation at times) 2) some internet while at hotel (dunno yet if the hotel/s will have wifi), and 3) maybe a handful of phone calls in emergency / late-for-checkin situations.

From Googling & skimming this thread, renting a wimax/emobile pocket wifi from e.g. http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/ seems the most affordable (3 weeks + 3-5 GB for only ¥9450 / $80, or cheaper if I buy a month). I wonder how much of a pain they are to use periodically while out (battery life? USB-rechargable? etc). Having the same service/plan for roaming & in-room internet feels convenient too (vs cell data + hotel internet separately).

It's unclear if my phone is/can be unlocked; even if so, the few SIM rentals I've looked at were about the same cost as a GB or so of Verizon's own roaming (~¥32550 -> ~$275). Ditto outright phone rentals (~$210). Main upside would be that these options come with more than 1 GB.

Are there options I'm missing? How accurate does all that look? etc :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Anaxite posted:

a bunch of useful info

Thank you, super appreciated! That largely jives with how I've been leaning (LTE pocket wifi + occasional hotel wifi), which is great to hear.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

basch posted:

Help!

I arrived in Tokyo today, expecting my portable wifi to be in the mail, but it's not there and I'm getting out of Tokyo tomorrow at noon so I can't wait here for a redelivery. Anyone can recommend a shop I can rush to in the morning to buy portable wifi or a data sim card? I don't need a phone number.

This place says they have a store in/near Akihabara: http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/

• Locked thread