Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So my wife is due for the upgrade to the iPhone 5 on Softbank, but looking at the plan it seems like there's a 1,500 a month bump in the plan price for LTE and a 500 a month required WiFi bump. Is that right?

To rephrase, is 8,000 a month what the iPhone 5 contract costs on Softbank or did we gently caress up somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

So my wife is due for the upgrade to the iPhone 5 on Softbank, but looking at the plan it seems like there's a 1,500 a month bump in the plan price for LTE and a 500 a month required WiFi bump. Is that right?

To rephrase, is 8,000 a month what the iPhone 5 contract costs on Softbank or did we gently caress up somewhere?

Ok, I guess no one knows this, anyone know what the rate is on AU?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Traveling made me want a phone with Wifi. I love my clapper but I think it's time to upgrade to a Smartphone. Softbank Pantone 5?

Probably pissing into the wind, but seriously just get an iPhone.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kenishi posted:

I don't own an iPhone, but I was under the impression that stuff like wifi tethering wasn't possible on the iPhone unless you jailbroke it. Its there in the settings menu on Android by default.

It's available on AU, not sure about Softbank.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Piss, all over me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

I know somebody who used to use a wifi hotspot and an iPod Touch, but then the wifi hotpsot battery isn't the same as a real phone's so charging it can become a pain.

Can't be much worse than a smartphone running LINE.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I guess I should have posted this here instead:

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/economy/news/130906/biz13090608380001-n1.htm

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pie.rat posted:

I'm moving to Sapporo for one year starting in early May, and I'd like to have a phone so that I can use maps and do some texting. I don't expect that I'll have much need for actual phone service. I'm really not picky about phones in general and I currently use like 25 Mb of data per month on my HTC One V because I just use wifi.
From my (lovely) research it looks like Japan has a lot of weirdness with two year contracts and so my options are probably somewhat limited. Does anyone have advice on carriers or plans that I should be looking into? Should I be trying to bring my current phone a different phone with me (:canada:)? Should I just avoid this whole mess and use my iPod touch and wifi to get by?

Kodo posted:

How did I not know this thread existed I never would have signed up with AU had I known

B-mobile has a call+data plan for 3120/month right now which is great, and LTE enabled if your phone supports it. This website has the relevant details, should probably be included in the OP: http://www.japanmobiletech.com

Get an unlocked phone and do that. I got a friend here using it now and it's quite adequate.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kodo posted:

In the meantime I bought a Nexus 5 through google's site and purchased a SIM card for this plan. The LTE speeds aren't super fast but it's definitely usable and really no complaints so far. Setting up the subscription is somewhat of a pain since the online activation site is all in Japanese, but running it through google translate made it easier.

I highly recommend this plan for anyone looking for reasonably priced パケ放題. I'm not a power user and have only used up about 800MB of the allotted 3GB.

What kind of LTE speeds are you getting if you don't mind sharing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Have her get in touch with this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707512&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post443588416

• Locked thread