Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've skimmed this thread, and I have a question. I'm going to be moving to Japan on the JET program in a few months, probably long term.
Is the best option for JETs still to wait until arrival and get a phone on contract?
I'm interested in using a handset like a Nexus 5 or OnePlus One so that I can own a decent handset outright and not worry about upgrading later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Keito posted:

There are few usage scenarios where getting a phone on contract ends up cheaper than outright buying an unlocked phone and hooking it up with a plan separately.

Is this easy to do though? I thought I had read in the thread that Japanese providers are reluctant to provide you with a sim card and plan if you don't buy a phone?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
This is all very helpful, thanks guys.
Yeah so I suppose I will just wait until I get there to sort it out and see what happens. If I do have to pay for a phone upfront (with a one year visa) then I hope cheaper phones like the Nexus 5 or Oneplus One are available in Japan.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

You're on JET, unless things changed then three-year visas are still the norm.

I don't have my visa yet. I actually just assumed it would be one year and they would renew it if I decide to renew my contract.

If it's a three year visa that's awesome!

• Locked thread