Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

tarepanda posted:

I think I wrote a recommendation list a while back.

That was only like two apps. Haven't gotten anything but ATOK and 2chMate installed myself, so it'd be nice with some other recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

dtb posted:

Do you use emoji in your work emails? If so, you have no chance of succeeding in life anyways, so it's really a moot point for this guy.
The first part of this sketch is very relevant.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Sheep posted:

U300 speeds won't be fast enough for Skype unless you're just trying to use the chat functionality as it's throttled to 30kbps.
Are you sure it won't work? Skype lists 30kbps as the minimum requirement for calls.

Although by "minimum" they might mean the lowest you can go before the call will fail, and you won't actually be able to make out anything in the conversation.

I'm also heading over for a three week period, and started leaning in the direction of the 1GB定額 card, but the Amazon reviews weren't very encouraging. People are saying the speeds are horrible (especially in Tokyo, apparently), some even going so far as to say they're getting worse performance than on U300, and were planning to switch back again.

I'll probably go for it anyway, because Viber possibly being usable is worth the extra few hundred yen compared to a plan where it definitely will be horrible if working at all. (Amazon ordering is also a huge plus for me.)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Madd0g11 posted:

Op should be updated with the B Mobile sims for visitors.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

What's up with the visitor 1GB plan on that English site being valid for only 14 days, and on top of that is pricier than the regular one?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

tarepanda posted:

Probably speed.

Despite what all the Amazon reviews were saying I was getting pretty good speeds, so I doubt that's it. The only difference I could find skimming through the page was that the visitor version activates automatically 2 days after shipping, so it's probably more about charging a premium just because they can.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

PowerLlama posted:

So should I go with the 14 day prepaid version? They both seem to die after 14 days.

It's your choice. Be aware the unlimited data one is limited in speed (3G only IIRC).

Both visitor SIMs are only valid for 14 days, but the regular version 1GB card can be used for 30 days. That's what I was talking about.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B005LAZDVK/

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

LiquidRain posted:

Last resort: What about data-only SIMs? For some reason those seem more accessible, and while I certainly don't intend to pay nearly 1man a month forever (a 2-week b-mobile data SIM is 3980円)

What's up with that? I use b-mobile's 1GB teigaku SIM which costs ~3000 per month when ordered from Amazon, and don't really get near the limit anyway with email, IM and browsing on the go. A friend has one of their voice-enabled plans with a 2GB cap and apparently pays approximately the same, but the prepaid setup works great for me.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

LiquidRain posted:

I have a close friend in Japan who'd likely be more than willing to help me out with stuff like this; could he possibly obtain the prepaid SIM for me for a month off Amazon and then I'll just pop it in my phone? As long as it travels around Honshu, it works for me. :)

You'll have to do a little bit more, but it's not too bad. Having a friend who can receive the SIM in advance of your arrival will help speed up things. :)

Before using the card you must call in and activate the SIM by inputting its number, but if you can borrow your friend's phone for this it'll be painless. Then, after putting it into your phone you'll probably need to manually enter the b-mobile APN settings. These preparations shouldn't take more than five minutes or so total, and the activation procedure can be done in English if Japanese is a problem.

b-mobile uses Docomo's network, so you should be getting reception around the country.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
That's the right package, yeah.

I do a bit of VoIP calling and use Maps for navigation too, still keeping well within the cap. As long as you don't have to watch YouTube on the train or stream music it shouldn't be a problem, I would probably have gone for a smaller plan if they had one.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Or you can just get a b-mobile SIM and not have to deal with wi-fi hotspots and the poo poo that comes with signing up for a plan with any of the three big providers. I've just used b-mobile's data-only prepaid cards so far myself, but they offer monthly plans with regular phone calls and LTE like this sumaho denwa SIM one, and a friend of mine has been happily using that.

Do confirm that the phone supports the frequencies before buying, but I can't imagine that any smartphone sold in Europe wouldn't be able to get on the Japanese GSM networks. Thanks to b-mobile's efforts I don't see any reason now not to just bring your own phone into the country and avoid getting shafted by the horrible industry they've got running.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
No, just read what's written about the plan I linked to. You get a phone number (no free minutes included, though) and select one out of three data packages to go with it (unlimited data at poo poo speeds, or 4G capped at 1 or 2GB/month before dropping to poo poo speeds).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
There are few usage scenarios where getting a phone on contract ends up cheaper than outright buying an unlocked phone and hooking it up with a plan separately.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've been using b-mobile on my phones every time I'm in Japan, mostly for maps/navigation, Hangouts and idle browsing. They're a docomo reseller so coverage of some kind should be available basically everywhere, but LTE connectivity seemed a lot less reliable than 3G in my experience (around in Chiba)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
You can get by well while paying little more than a quarter of that monthly on the smaller phone companies' plans, it's a complete no-brainer which to go with if you ask me

• Locked thread