Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
I'm giving a presentation to incoming JETs next week about phone/internet and while I'll be pimping softbank and the white plan because most of our community uses it, I want to show them all the options.

Are prepaid phones viable or not? Through which carrier?

I don't know anyone who isn't on a contract, but if there are some people who are certain they'll only be here for a year prepaid might be better than signing up for a 2 year contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks very much!

Also, do you know if there are any decent 1 year contracts?

I haven't dealt with this stuff for a couple years now but back then I couldn't find mention of any.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks again, great info.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Urgh I forgot how maddeningly and probably deliberately confusing these price plans could be.

Going through the websites now trying to get my head around them all for this presentation.

What the hell is the difference between the standard and value plans if you buy an iphone?

Is it just that with the value plan they assume you will always hit the unlimited packet cap so you pay the max amount every time, so you get a tiny bit more monthly discount?

Also, my two year iphone contract is about up this month so I assume my phone bill will be going way up now that those discounts no longer apply.

I just read they automatically start you on another 2 year contract, surely that doesn't mean I can only cancel now or in another 2 years to avoid the cancellation fee does it?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

I'm not really sure about the iPhone stuff since Softbank has a completely different set of plans, but this part is true for even their non-iPhone plans. Consider it like the lease renewal fee on your apartment; just like it can be cheaper to move out than to renew your lease, it can be cheaper to change carriers than to stay on.

edit: however, I'm not sure when this was introduced. Looking at my bill now, it says "contract period: 3 years, 3 months" on it. If a 2-year contract were renewed, it would instead say 1 year, 3 months? Not sure if they would grandfather me in or not.

drat.

I might even look into upgrading my 3GS then and seeing if I can't get another discount package, never thought I would upgrade but in this case it might be worth it overall.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Ok so if you're on softbank on their ubiquitous White Plan, I know you have free calls 1am to 9pm within the network.

How does the messaging work, though?

I know you pay 300yen or so a month for the basic messaging fees which they say is 0 yen for SMS but a fee for off network MMS.

So does this mean that texting off network is free, but sending pictures etc carries a fee?

To get around this, I assume if you have a smartphone and an unlimited data plan you just send the person those pictures through your email app rather than through the SMS function.

If someone uses their SOFTBANK email that comes with the phone, instead of for example a gmail account, does this also bypass those fees or does this go through their towers like MMS and incur fees?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Rekka posted:

If you have an iPhone and the packet houdai plan MMS is considered data within the plan so you can use both the messaging app or the email app for free. It's pretty good!

Are you sure?

A friend said he got charged a tonne when he sent a bunch of photos to someone on docomo via MMS on his iPhone.

I hope that's not the case and it's all included with the pake houdai, though, as you say.

EDIT: It's pretty terrible that I've been on this plan for 2 years and still don't actually know how it works.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 28, 2011

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks.

I think I confused myself reading some of the more basic plans.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
My cousin wants to buy a Galaxy S3 but he doesn't really have any Japanese ability.

The docomo site says "Japanese only" for the S3, anyone know if it's really not possible to change the OS to English? Finding conflicting reports online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Business of Ferrets posted:

Answered you in the other thread, too, but yes, it is no problem to change the language from Japanese to English through the settings screen. Actually, the guy at the Docomo store did it for me without asking, but it really is just a question of choosing the right option in the settings part.

The challenging part might be dealing with emails/messages, etc., from docomo, which are all in Japanese. Also, when purchasing the phone, it would be good to go through the options and cancel any paid bloatware services he won't be using. Saves having to do it later on another visit or via their Japanese-only mydocomo site.

Thanks for both answers! I'll try and go with him to the store when he signs up and look out for the stuff you said.

On a related note, does anyone know if docomo has any of those good "switch carrier" rewards deals? I am getting sick of my iPhone (3 serious hardware problems in 1 year) and might be interested in an S3 myself after I play with my cousin's.

• Locked thread