ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Eidos have pushed back the release date of HR:MD to August 23rd, 2016.

:suicide:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I wonder if Dishonored 2 comes out before that. It seems it has been pushed back too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's cool, XCOM2 got pushed back to February so I can play that instead and then wait for Mankind Divided and ... :sigh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

Eidos have pushed back the release date of HR:MD to August 23rd, 2016.

I didn't ask for this...

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Eidos have pushed back the release date of HR:MD to August 23rd, 2016.

Yeah, RIP.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

first mirror's edge, now deus ex, gently caress. february was supposed to be a blockbuster month and everything got moved wayyyyyyy back. august is a huge loving shift from feb.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MinibarMatchman posted:

first mirror's edge, now deus ex, gently caress. february was supposed to be a blockbuster month and everything got moved wayyyyyyy back. august is a huge loving shift from feb.

When is february ever a big month? At least this way we'll be getting a big release every other month or so throughout the year.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ravenfood posted:

All takedowns make noise and don't render you invulnerable while you're doing them, but are energy-free. Lethal takedowns are faster than non-lethal. You can activate aug upgrades that do cost energy that make them silent or much much faster to minimize damage taken, with nonlethal versions costing more energy. I'd also switch the control input. Once you start a takedown, letting go of the button at any point makes you kill the person. You have to hold it for the entire duration to knock them out, so you can start choking someone, get caught, and abort the non-lethal takedown to avoid getting shot up. The transition from non-lethal to lethal takedown is pretty easy too: just have the blades whip out

This.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I know this is the kind of question that people tell you to just "git gud" after you ask, but what is the best difficulty for playing Human Revolution? I've been trying to do it on hardest on my first playthrough but I've been getting killed over and over after getting found out. I was playing the original Deus Ex on medium and that was fine.

Also, when I use the tranq rifle it alerts the other guards to my presence. If I start over, should I pick the stun gun for the Deus Ex legacy? Deus Ex's stun prod held a special place in my heart, even if it wasn't great. I got really good at zapping guard thighs.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Constr posted:

I know this is the kind of question that people tell you to just "git gud" after you ask, but what is the best difficulty for playing Human Revolution? I've been trying to do it on hardest on my first playthrough but I've been getting killed over and over after getting found out. I was playing the original Deus Ex on medium and that was fine.

Also, when I use the tranq rifle it alerts the other guards to my presence. If I start over, should I pick the stun gun for the Deus Ex legacy? Deus Ex's stun prod held a special place in my heart, even if it wasn't great. I got really good at zapping guard thighs.

The stun gun is short range, but 100% effective at takedowns, no "sweet spot" targeting required. It's ridiculously powerful when you're hiding in cover.

Tranq rifle can do takedowns, but yeah, it's generally best against lone guys and you need a headshot. Only advantage is range. It's tricky to do unseen takedowns against groups anyway--generally you need to wait until they're at an isolated point in their patrol route or you have two guys together for a dual-takedown or a gas grenade.

Play at the diff you find fun. If you're getting killed repeatedly either figure out what you're doing wrong, or tone it down. You can absolutely ghost this game, but it takes patience.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Constr posted:

I know this is the kind of question that people tell you to just "git gud" after you ask, but what is the best difficulty for playing Human Revolution? I've been trying to do it on hardest on my first playthrough but I've been getting killed over and over after getting found out. I was playing the original Deus Ex on medium and that was fine.

Also, when I use the tranq rifle it alerts the other guards to my presence. If I start over, should I pick the stun gun for the Deus Ex legacy? Deus Ex's stun prod held a special place in my heart, even if it wasn't great. I got really good at zapping guard thighs.

First playthrough? Do a stealth/nonlethal run on the easiest difficulty if you need to. Then for the second run you can do New Game + and go lethal with all your augs from the first playthrough.

I'd still suggest taking the tranq rifle at the beginning partially because you don't find one as soon as you'll find the stungun (IIRC) and also if you're close enough to use the prod you might as well do a takedown. On top of that the tranq rifle is reasonably valuable if you just want to sell it regardless of how you're going to play.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Prod with the prod.

I might as well start using coke.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Constr posted:

I know this is the kind of question that people tell you to just "git gud" after you ask, but what is the best difficulty for playing Human Revolution? I've been trying to do it on hardest on my first playthrough but I've been getting killed over and over after getting found out. I was playing the original Deus Ex on medium and that was fine.

Also, when I use the tranq rifle it alerts the other guards to my presence. If I start over, should I pick the stun gun for the Deus Ex legacy? Deus Ex's stun prod held a special place in my heart, even if it wasn't great. I got really good at zapping guard thighs.

Go default unless you're a gaming god.

The stungun is a mixed bag; it's silent, a guaranteed takedown against non-bosses, and even stuns bosses a good while. However, it takes a while to load, and ammo isn't too plentiful.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I never found a situation where the stun gun was required vs a takedown due to its range (though it certainly can be used), and there's other easy ways to beat the first boss. The tranq rifle has a few really handy moments later in the game so it's worth keeping. Neither are necessary to ghost any area, but both come in handy if you're trying to do silly things like knock out every single person.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Go default unless you're a gaming god.

I'd say that it's less being a gaming god and more a matter of approach. On "Give Me Deus Ex" you're basically made of tinfoil, so if you like going in loud, you're going to have a bad time, but a stealth approach is pretty much viable without much change from the easier difficulties. You still can take any approach you like on "Give Me Deus Ex", but some require obscene reflexes, several backup plans, and the right augs.

That said, the bosses will make you curse no matter what difficulty you pick. They are not very well designed.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

EngineerSean posted:

Prod with the prod.

I might as well start using coke.

UNATCO hurt my weenie.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

chiasaur11 posted:

That said, the bosses will make you curse no matter what difficulty you pick. They are not very well designed.
I played director's cut, which I've been told added a whole bunch of alternate props in the boss arenas, but it turns out I never used them. Penny Arcade did a joke about rolling a Computer Science major, then getting locked in a room with a cyborg bulldog. I did the exact same thing! Except my guy carried a gun, since I'm not a loving retard. Stood my ground and killed him strait-up on "Give me Deus Ex", went around the arena afterwards marveling at all the cool nooks and crannies.

The second boss I chased around with augmented vision&speed and an auto-targeting SMG, she never launched a single attack. I was still mostly stealth specced.

By the time the 3rd boss comes around, you've bought literally every aug in the game, so I just shot him. And then marveled at all the nooks and crannies afterwards.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

chiasaur11 posted:

That said, the bosses will make you curse no matter what difficulty you pick. They are not very well designed.

Like ^^^ said, director's cut gives you more options. Still it's true, the bossfights are the weakest part. For some gawd-knows-why reason, Eidos subcontracted that one part to another studio, and they did a slapdash job.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Like ^^^ said, director's cut gives you more options. Still it's true, the bossfights are the weakest part. For some gawd-knows-why reason, Eidos subcontracted that one part to another studio, and they did a slapdash job.

I wouldn't say they're slapdash. They are playable, and you can beat the bosses. The issue is that they don't match the general game at ALL.

It's like Eidos subcontracted the fights, and didn't tell the company anything about the game.

"Well... its in first person, so it's a shooter...?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They subcontracted the character dialogue animations though, right? The ones for the Dialogue boss fights look great, but just normal talking animations look creepy and Jensen has squirrel teeth.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
*does the c3po twitch*

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

EngineerSean posted:

Prod with the prod.

I might as well start using coke.

A non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown

Gynovore posted:

Go default unless you're a gaming god.

The stungun is a mixed bag; it's silent, a guaranteed takedown against non-bosses, and even stuns bosses a good while. However, it takes a while to load, and ammo isn't too plentiful.

It's also really good for disrupting cameras, turrets, and bots in order to conserve candy bars or ammo while sneaking around. Box bots, especially.

Serephina posted:

By the time the 3rd boss comes around, you've bought literally every aug in the game, so I just shot him. And then marveled at all the nooks and crannies afterwards.

Everyone says that, but I never find THAT much Praxis. But I also don't actually need garbage like the alert cooldown timer, enemy vision cones, enemy marking, or acoustic monitoring...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

Everyone says that, but I never find THAT much Praxis. But I also don't actually need garbage like the alert cooldown timer, enemy vision cones, enemy marking, or acoustic monitoring...

When I played through (non-lethal, ghost, hacking everything & exploring everywhere) by the end of the game I didn't quite upgrade everything, but I had enough for all but maybe a half-dozen or less of the total augs/upgrades. Even then, I had some unused points and skills unpicked because I just didn't need them. This was before the DC and New Game +, but aside from that I can totally see being able to upgrade almost everything on the first run and being able to play maxed-out fairly quickly on a second run.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Everyone says that, but I never find THAT much Praxis. But I also don't actually need garbage like the alert cooldown timer, enemy vision cones, enemy marking, or acoustic monitoring...

At least 25% of the upgrades are complete poo poo, and another 25% are either weak or limited. It's quite easy easy to get enough Praxis for all the ones that don't suck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SpelledBackwards posted:

Everyone says that, but I never find THAT much Praxis. But I also don't actually need garbage like the alert cooldown timer, enemy vision cones, enemy marking, or acoustic monitoring...

You can buy literally everything if you start doing things like hacking every hackable thing and reloading I'd you don't get the max XP bonus, etc. But there's no point because you're just buying the crap you don't need.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can buy literally everything if you start doing things like hacking every hackable thing and reloading I'd you don't get the max XP bonus, etc. But there's no point because you're just buying the crap you don't need.

Hacking is a good source of XP, but nevertheless, resist the urge to hack every single terminal you see just for the XP. If you do, you'll soon be ramming your head into the keyboard out of boredom.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You miss out on stuff if you don't hack every terminal though. There's one in the Omega Ranch level near the end of the game with a guy complaining to HR about people putting his desktop to horse porn.

quote:

I am writing you for the 2nd time this week in hopes of receiving the requested equipment I outlined in my previous correspondence.

An as of yet unidentified saboteur is compromising the integrity of my workstation with his (or her) blatant disregard for morality and common decency. In what is quickly becoming a recurring event, I have returned to my computer only to find it defiled with pornographic images.

These images, depicting humans engaged in gross acts of unnatural copulation with farm animals is both an affront to my senses, and an insult to the time honoured traditions of the aggricultural sic industry (not to mention respectable animal husbandry practices).

quote:

From: Mark Solanski
To: Abigail O'Connor; Lou Morano

I can't wait to see the look on his face when he sees what I did with his stapler.

PFC Mark Solanski
Belltower Associates, Inc.

Lou Morano wrote:

>So I just got another request from dwayne to
>have a hidden camera installed in his lab.
>Should we play along and humor him? He still
>thinks it's one of the other eggheads in his
>department that's putting all the farm porn on
>his pc.
>
>Pvt Lou Morano

quote:

From: Dwayne Crosby
To: OMEGA_ALL

To whomever felt it necessary to change my screensaver and desktop background to something involving pornographic farm animals FOR THE THIRD TIME THIS WEEK: very mature.

I will have you all know I am now installing tracking software on my computer and have asked security to place a hidden camera somewhere inside the lab. I will be reporting the next person that decides to compromise the integrity of my workstation with these disgusting images. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

- Dwayne

PS I am still awaiting the return of my stapler (I KNOW YOU HAVE IT JIM)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 5, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
True dat.

Plus, if you steal stuff from every office during your first trip to HQ, on your next visit there, you get emails complaining about the office thefts :)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Hacking would be bearable if there were keyboard shortcuts on the PC besides space bar for a stop worm. The number of times I've tried to fortify but accidentally click stop or nuke in my haste is just so frustrating. Or are there shortcuts I never knew about?

Learning from someone's Let's Pay that I could capture any one of the red server stacks and get all the reward nodes as well was a welcome surprise and a big time saver.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Wasn't HR supposed to support some version of Intel RealSense so you could play the hacking minigame on a touch-screen tablet?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The hacking minigame in DEHR is like the one minigame (well, not counting Gwent) that I really enjoyed for its own sake and was always happy to play more of.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Eidos devs are very smart. How do I know? Because they made "Aug lives matter" a slogan in their in-universe made up civil conflict and then claimed any similarity to IRL corollaries was pure coincidence. Then someone pointed it out on Twitter and the PR guy earnestly admonished him for spreading hate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Eidos devs are very smart. How do I know? Because they made "Aug lives matter" a slogan in their in-universe made up civil conflict and then claimed any similarity to IRL corollaries was pure coincidence. Then someone pointed it out on Twitter and the PR guy earnestly admonished him for spreading hate.

The would be Square Enix doing the marketing, not Eidos. Square are rather tone deaf.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But there's no point because you're just buying the crap you don't need.

I really like that enabling the new augs requires disabling old ones, because there are at least a couple of really easy picks.

Has more detail on that system been released? Is it weighted at all, I.E. you'd free more new aug space by giving up more powerful augs? Do you have to disable specific old augs for new ones? Or is it just a one-for-one swap where you can give up any given aug?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

DX:IW let you swap out augs from the same type of body slot if you wanted. You'd lose any applied upgrades, but the game offered so many aug canisters and upgrades that it didn't matter too much how you'd chosen in the past.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I liked a lot of things about IW. There was a good game there, you just had to look past the consolization and boy band protagonist. The ending was just about perfect from a narrative / Hero's Journey standpoint.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was a good game there, you just had to look past the consolization and boy band protagonist.

Playing as the female Alex probably helps with that second one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
My very first reaction right at the start of my first run of IW was: "Alex D? As in Denton?" I wished really hard to be wrong. I was not.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

My very first reaction right at the start of my first run of IW was: "Alex D? As in Denton?" I wished really hard to be wrong. I was not.

You can see his cloning vat (or whatever those things were) in the last level of the original DX. So if you paid attention in the first game, his identity is really blatantly obvious.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yes I know, but they should have just called the protagonist "Alex". That way it's still a hint if you paid attention in Area 51 without making it super obvious.

  • Locked thread