Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The best thing to come out of IW was that the game made me aware of the industrial band kidneythieves, since their singer Free Dominguez voiced NG Resonance and the band supplied her music. They have a new album coming out this month, just like Deus Ex!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a thread for the new game yet?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Only for about 16 months and >1200 posts. So yes.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711924

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SpelledBackwards posted:

The best thing to come out of IW was that the game made me aware of the industrial band kidneythieves, since their singer Free Dominguez voiced NG Resonance and the band supplied her music. They have a new album coming out this month, just like Deus Ex!

Wasn't she the singer for Stranger I Remain in Revengeance?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StashAugustine posted:

I read somewhere that the VAs for the bosses performed their own theme music, and I can't find anything in my soundtrack's tags or any store listings to double-check this. Mistral's spoken lines are credited to Salli Saffioti.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

According to Wikipedia and either earlier in this thread or the other DX thread, yes. From what I recall it did in fact sounds like her when I heard it on YouTube. She also guests on one of the recent KMFDM albums, WTF?!, on the song Take it Like a Man.

Haven't played a Metal Gear game since the original on NES, and maybe a bit of Snake's Revenge. I don't even know how to catch up now with all the great stuff I've missed out on over the last two decades. :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

According to Wikipedia and either earlier in this thread or the other DX thread, yes. From what I recall it did in fact sounds like her when I heard it on YouTube. She also guests on one of the recent KMFDM albums, WTF?!, on the song Take it Like a Man.

Haven't played a Metal Gear game since the original on NES, and maybe a bit of Snake's Revenge. I don't even know how to catch up now with all the great stuff I've missed out on over the last two decades. :(

Revengeance is perhaps the height of human achievement, so I recommend that one.

Great localization, Platinum gameplay, a great adaptive soundtrack that perfectly fits the batshit insanity of the combat, and it even has non-lethal (and sometimes stealth) options for the Deus Ex fans.

Non-lethal means you chop off their legs!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I don't know about anyone else but I just love "kill everything" runs, here's one for human revolution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzalz33GQ_w&t=61s

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SpelledBackwards posted:

It's easier than you think.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I just love "kill everything" runs, here's one for human revolution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzalz33GQ_w&t=61s

Watching those console commands (errr... gamepad input?) is so painful

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Serephina posted:

Watching those console commands (errr... gamepad input?) is so painful

Oh he's using console commands? I hadn't noticed, I was just enjoying watching him wreck peoples poo poo cause I always play pacifist.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I finally got my pacifist achievement, now i'm on ng+ and I just killed everyone in the police station in the loudest most violent ways possible.Funny how sarif doesn't even give a poo poo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I finally got my pacifist achievement, now i'm on ng+ and I just killed everyone in the police station in the loudest most violent ways possible.Funny how sarif doesn't even give a poo poo.

The policemen weren't able to survive a rampaging metahuman that doesn't know pain or mercy? They deserved to get left behind! It's evolution!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Checked to see all the policemen were left alive, turned off video. Reported for false advertising.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The policemen weren't able to survive a rampaging metahuman that doesn't know pain or mercy? They deserved to get left behind! It's evolution!

They were probably all corrupt and Haas was a failure so technically killing him was doing him a favour :smuggo:

and the civilians had to die because no witnesses and I mean they were in a police station so they were probably guilty of something....

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

finally got around to starting this game. i'm having fun but quick save/quick load are ruining it for me. it pretty much renders massive parts of the game useless. i never have to fire a gun, never get caught, every hack a success, etc. just quick load your way to the end of the game!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

finally got around to starting this game. i'm having fun but quick save/quick load are ruining it for me. it pretty much renders massive parts of the game useless. i never have to fire a gun, never get caught, every hack a success, etc. just quick load your way to the end of the game!

So stop using them? You're complaining about your own lovely lack of self control.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The game's a lot better when you just let poo poo happen, and most of the guards are monumentally stupid so even if you gently caress up it's not too hard to run away and hide or slaughter everyone.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Fuzz posted:

So stop using them? You're complaining about your own lovely lack of self control.

oh ok

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

You do realize that one of the biggest challenges to making a fun game is setting it up so the player doesn't have to decide between a boring-but-optimal path and an interesting-but-suboptimal path, right? Criticizing your players for having poor self-control says more about you as a game developer than it does about the players.

Quickload may be a major boon in a lot of ways, but it also fucks with game tension because the player can always reload if something doesn't go well. So players will reload, and then be less invested in the game because they know that failure is impossible.

I mean, this is a major subject of debate and I can't exactly do both sides justice here but I can at least do a better job of it than you did.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

You pretty much summed up what I was going to tell this bozo. It's in the game for a reason. I see it as an intended tool. Unfortunately their own tools render most of the game pointless should you choose to use it which is just bad game design.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

You do realize that one of the biggest challenges to making a fun game is setting it up so the player doesn't have to decide between a boring-but-optimal path and an interesting-but-suboptimal path, right? Criticizing your players for having poor self-control says more about you as a game developer than it does about the players.

Quickload may be a major boon in a lot of ways, but it also fucks with game tension because the player can always reload if something doesn't go well. So players will reload, and then be less invested in the game because they know that failure is impossible.

I mean, this is a major subject of debate and I can't exactly do both sides justice here but I can at least do a better job of it than you did.

the devs arent going to take out 2 features that have been in nearly every pc game in the past 2 decades just so people with poor self control can feel better about themselves

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

the devs arent going to take out 2 features that have been in nearly every pc game in the past 2 decades just so people with poor self control can feel better about themselves

"We've done this thing for years" is a lovely reason to do a thing. And they don't need to take it out, necessarily; just provide a difficulty option to disable it. XCOM does that.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can create this difficulty option on your own in seconds by unbinding quickload and quicksave.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

are you by any chance a fat guy with a goatee called phil? Cause anyone who sucks this bad at a game this easy must be dsp.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Are you actually trying to argue in favour of checkpoints instead of saves, here?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

Are you actually trying to argue in favour of checkpoints instead of saves, here?

I think I'd rather advocate for using suspends instead of saves, so the player isn't able to rewrite history but can still stop playing whenever they like. Again, I'm pretty sure XCOM can do this. As an option of course. Absolutely for the players that want to abuse the gently caress out of quickload, they should be able to do that.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

i prefer a checkpoint over manually saving and loading like its 1996 again. i also voted for Trump

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I thought HR had both autosave and manual saving.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Suspicious posted:

I thought HR had both autosave and manual saving.

It does

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
So what's the loving problem?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
He's a contrarian and/or troll and probably has a blog on immersion in video games.

i prefer a checkpoint over manually saving and loading like its 1996 again.

I think game devs should invent a way for their game to create checkpoints, some sort of automatic save if you will. And then they could also have a manual save feature for people who want to save independently, but it's not a thing you have to use. But I don't know how feasible that would be.

Seriously though, checkpoints-only games suck, :getout:

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 12, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't have a preference either way. Manual saves let you take breaks and shut the game off at any time but also makes it easier to save in an unwinnable situation unless you keep multiple saves, but that requires you to save frequently or you'll lose tons of progress and at that point you're basically save scumming. Checkpoint saving will usually ensure you aren't always hosed but poor checkpoint placement sucks and it can be inconvenient if they aren't frequent. I suppose if they are frequent then the game is save scumming on your behalf too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I've got a better solution

get good

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

What was the point of the LEO shuttle's parachute failing, vs. a successful landing? Y'all think there was a sequence cut out or something? There was no context or warning except at the last second, and it didn't seem to have any measurable impact on your approach to the level or tension in the story. I want to know how Adam survived and how he didn't sink to the bottom of the ocean. Hidden propeller aug?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've played vidya games ever since I was a wee lad, and I've literally never quick saved/loaded. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah.

Nope, still pretty loving retarded to go "hey, I'm not having any fun if I do this, but that doesn't mean I'll stop doing it".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some Civ dev mentioned it, it's a known psycological thing. Once you know there's a better (in terms of winning) way of playing a game, it's hard to go back to not doing that. This puts a burden on the devs not to have optimal play be lovely and unfun or a large portion of their player base will do exactly that. It's trivial to think of examples for any genre; overpowered unit combos in a mutliplayer RTS, a gun that does too much dmg in a single player fps, etc.

Edit: the best example for save scumming that I've seen was in Severance: Blade of Darkness, you can quicksave allll you want, but there's a counter on your save file telling you how many times you've saved, and an adjective to describe your skill. It apparently annoyed so many people there where actual mods to remove it :D

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 14, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Quicksaving would completely break Dark Souls, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Snak posted:

Quicksaving would completely break Dark Souls, for example.

Dark souls is explicitly designed around not having quicksaves

• Locked thread